Grizzled Vet

The overly optimistic, highly unlikely 19-20 playoff thread

Let's play game by game. If we play the same way we play in january, we go for PO. But the team is young and things can get more difficult as well. I hope the guys get some well deserved rest and that JJJ and Dillon will come back strong. Go Grizz !!!

6 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Let's play game by game. If we play the same way we play in january, we go for PO. But the team is young and things can get more difficult as well. I hope the guys get some well deserved rest and that JJJ and Dillon will come back strong. Go Grizz !!!

I’d prefer it that way, too

On 2/15/2020 at 12:35 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:
Over the last 15 games the Memphis Grizzlies have the 2nd best defense in the NBA behind the Bucks

9:58 AM · Feb 13, 2020·Twitter Web App

Small sample size. 

8 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Small sample size. 

That looks pretty good. 

Difficult to have an opinion based on those kind of stats. Depends against who you play for example. But looking at the games, it is clear that defense has improved a lot and that's the reason why we are 8 now.   We will have to keep fighting hard. Go Grizzz!!!

1 hour ago, Holidayinn21 said:

15 games in an 82-game schedule is not a small sample

How was New Orleans playing after 15 games? Do you think that small sample size was misleading?

14 hours ago, Holidayinn21 said:

For those wondering, 24 is the magic number to clinch a playoff berth

Just wondering how we can have an exact magic number when there are two games left with the Blazers. The results of that series is basically a one game difference. 

24 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Just wondering how we can have an exact magic number when there are two games left with the Blazers. The results of that series is basically a one game difference. 

Perhaps he is using the most basic of systems and saying if the Grizzlies win 24 games no one can catch them regardless of how the Portland games turn out. 

11 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Perhaps he is using the most basic of systems and saying if the Grizzlies win 24 games no one can catch them regardless of how the Portland games turn out. 

I got that but I could also say 23 if one of your wins is against Portland. 

On 2/19/2020 at 11:19 AM, Dwash said:

I got that but I could also say 23 if one of your wins is against Portland. 

Yes. 23 (for Portland, if Grizzlies win tie-breaker), 24 if Portland sweeps remaining games in series.

So technically, 24 guarantees the playoff berth.

I’ve been completely against 538s playoff predictions having us way lower than NO and Por but tonight is flipping me. Getting dominated by a team we have to beat to make the playoffs. 

Kings took down Clippers as well tonight, and that was with Kawhi playing 37  minutes.

Magic number is still 24.

On Sunday, pull for Thunder over Spurs, Detroit over Portland, and a miracle of Warriors over Pelicans.

13 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Kings took down Clippers as well tonight, and that was with Kawhi playing 37  minutes.

Magic number is still 24.

On Sunday, pull for Thunder over Spurs, Detroit over Portland, and a miracle of Warriors over Pelicans.

Makes the Grizzlies loss at Sacramento a bit more palatable.

after the all start game, game intensity picks up, and most everything is contested.  So 2nd half is a better barometer of where this team is at versus first 40 games.....not a good start, we don't seem to be ready from opening tip-off and coach needs to settle down his rotations....and we need to go back to managing our expectations for this team...1st year of major rebuild....

7 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

after the all start game, game intensity picks up, and most everything is contested.  So 2nd half is a better barometer of where this team is at versus first 40 games.....not a good start, we don't seem to be ready from opening tip-off and coach needs to settle down his rotations....and we need to go back to managing our expectations for this team...1st year of major rebuild....

Agreed.  Regardless how this season ultimately turns out, it should be considered a resounding success by everyone.  However, I just don't think that with 26 games still left to play the Grizzlies have the experience necessary to traverse the league's hardest remaining schedule down the stretch while holding off the two teams behind them with two of the easiest remaining schedules.  That being said, I didn't think they'd even be within sniffing distance of the .500 mark at the all star break either, so hopefully I'm wrong again!

JJJs injury might be a knockout blow to the playoff hopes for this year.  But looking ahead to next year, I dont think playoffs is a foregone conclusion like everyone thinks. LAC, LAL, Den, Hou, Utah, Dal, GSW, NO will be in the mix. Por will have Nurkic/Hood back and look like they are developing depth they never had. I dont see OKC as a tank type of franchise and will atleast be around. 500. The Suns, Wolves, Kings underachieve but always have you never know talent.  Imo we are gonna have to be 45-50 wins next year. 

Could be a good night.  Spurs get blown out at OKC, so 4 back in the loss column again. 

And the Pels down 10 at the half to Golden State.  Pels have beat our *** twice in a month, but for some reason they don't look as good when they play the rest of the league. Don't look bad, but don't look great either, imo. 

Blazers playing the corpse of the Pistons' team, so probably won't get lucky there.

26 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Could be a good night.  Spurs get blown out at OKC, so 4 back in the loss column again. 

And the Pels down 10 at the half to Golden State.  Pels have beat our *** twice in a month, but for some reason they don't look as good when they play the rest of the league. Don't look bad, but don't look great either, imo. 

Blazers playing the corpse of the Pistons' team, so probably won't get lucky there.

The Pels have been playing good ball and have absolutely dominated us. They are the big time favorite to get the 8th seed. 
538 has them at 67% and is at 7%. I tried to fight it but there’s no denying our schedule is brutal. That, JJJ going down, Dillon being a black hole at the 2, and Ja waiting till we are down 20 to show some urgency gives me a hopeless feeling. 
positive season though just need to see some more development

1 hour ago, BAMAFREAK said:

The Pels have been playing good ball and have absolutely dominated us. They are the big time favorite to get the 8th seed. 
538 has them at 67% and is at 7%. I tried to fight it but there’s no denying our schedule is brutal. That, JJJ going down, Dillon being a black hole at the 2, and Ja waiting till we are down 20 to show some urgency gives me a hopeless feeling. 
positive season though just need to see some more development

You are looking at the Raptor 538, which is based entirely on preseaon player projections. Use the ELO current projections, and it's us 30%, Pels 33%, Blazers 17% and Spurs 16%. 4 game lead in loss column is a big lead. 

Pels are surging and zion has played 11 games in the season. He is not hitting any rookie wall, in fact he's fresher than most.