Grizzled Vet

The overly optimistic, highly unlikely 19-20 playoff thread

Can't believe how much worse Kyrie made Tatum and Brown look. 

The Celtics young wings are that good, Kyrie is just that much poison

On 2/11/2020 at 9:04 PM, Dwash said:

I dont see 15-14 in these last 29, especially without Crowder's ability to guard a lot of the top notch players we will see. And trying to incorporate this Jackson idiot. We will need Winslow for sure. 

Josh is a better defensive player than Jae and he sure isn't taking the wild shots that Jae did, now if they can just get DB to come in line.

58 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

NO start to be far from us. They will have to make a vwery big run . same for SA. Seems that we will fight with Portland for last spot. Go Grizz !!!

good to see new orleans lost tonight  5 behind

I still think New Orleans is who we have to worry about.  Especially if Zion stays healthy.  The kid is good...really good. 

I'm anxious to see them play the Lakers, because I want to see how he does against their big front line.

19 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

I still think New Orleans is who we have to worry about.  Especially if Zion stays healthy.  The kid is good...really good. 

I'm anxious to see them play the Lakers, because I want to see how he does against their big front line.

I think both Portland and Pels will win games. But how many more than .500??? If we play .500 ball from here on out I think we are in honestly 

1 minute ago, VikingWarrior said:

I think both Portland and Pels will win games. But how many more than .500??? If we play .500 ball from here on out I think we are in honestly 

Yeah I was doing the math and they would both have to win close to 70% of their remaining games to pass is.

....but I don't want to get too excited until we are safely in.

Our schedule is so tough.... let's play game by game without worry too much about others. IF NO or Portland are able to go for 17-9 or 18-7 then they will deserve to make him as much as us. Go Grizz !!!

As I understand it our strength of schedule means we'd be 'expected' to win 12.4 more games putting us at 40-41 wins, if another team can get up to .500 then fair enough but this Grizzlies team has defied expectations all year, I wouldn't bet against them outperforming a tough schedule. 

After all Ja is 6 games above .500 for the season...

If Grizz just finish out playing 14-14 .500 ball, that puts them at 42-40

Just to tie us and hope to have the tiebreaker:

Portland must go 17-9

NOLA must go 19-8

Spurs must go 19-9

And that's only if we play at .500, if we steal a game or two we are not supposed to, that makes it close to impossible for those 3 teams to catch us. NOLA is 7-5 since Zion came back, which is only a 58% winning clip, whereas if we go 14-14 they would need to bump that up to a 70% rate. If we play 1 game over .500 that means they need to win at a 74% rate. Even with Zion there hasn't been much proof (yet) they will be able to do that. Even WITH Dame, Portland has lost 4 of their last 6 as well.

Last handful of games could swing either way between teams playing very hard for playoff seeding or resting guys for the playoffs. 

We have a great chance. Hopefully we can go. 500 for the rest of the year and that should do it. I do believe this schedule was designed for Zion to thrive down the stretch and Ja to struggle so Zion can get ROY.  Now this playoff race has been impacted.

First things first.

After a week of hearing how great we are, we need to come out of the break and take care of Sacramento.  Because after that, we have the Lakers, Clippers and Rockets.

4 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

First things first.

After a week of hearing how great we are, we need to come out of the break and take care of Sacramento.  Because after that, we have the Lakers, Clippers and Rockets.

Yes. Gotta get Sacramento. Gotta come out strong. 

16 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I think you guys are being too optimistic with going.500 rest of the season

Quietly we have been winning the last 12 games because of our defense.   We have slowly reverted back to GNG but with an elite perimeter scorer to get us over the hump.    Now that we aren't relying on ridiculous 3pt shooting to help us win - i am more confident a .500 finish is possible.   Defense always travels and all of our superior defensive players are getting PT.    Basically only real defensive liabilities we have are Ja and Jonas.    Jonas still provides rebounding and rim protection so he isn't complete dud.   

Dieng pick up and Josh getting minutes over Marko will continue to be a huge boom to our D.      These young Grizz aint afraid of the elite teams.   Ja getting snubbed will keep him hungry too.  

Tough schedule ahead, and we have to play both Trailblazers and Pelicans twice.  We're gonna see what this team is made of.  I have faith in em.  Hope we can stay healthy.   

4 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Our schedule is so tough.... let's play game by game without worry too much about others. IF NO or Portland are able to go for 17-9 or 18-7 then they will deserve to make him as much as us. Go Grizz !!!

I agree 

We do have a tough schedule for the remainder of the season, but looking back it's not like we haven't been competitive with these teams. We beat the clips, almost beat the lakers, gave Milwaukee all they could handle etc... the only team that's manhandled with no revenge thus far is pelicans and Philly. We weren't 100 % for the second pelicans game and Philly sucks on the road. We have a chance to beat every team and our defense can very well push us over the hump

2 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

We do have a tough schedule for the remainder of the season, but looking back it's not like we haven't been competitive with these teams. We beat the clips, almost beat the lakers, gave Milwaukee all they could handle etc... the only team that's manhandled with no revenge thus far is pelicans and Philly. We weren't 100 % for the second pelicans game and Philly sucks on the road. We have a chance to beat every team and our defense can very well push us over the hump

To be fair Boston walloped us 

Going 4-0 against blazers and Pels would be huge and hopefully some of the harder teams rest players at end of season