Grizzled Vet

The overly optimistic, highly unlikely 19-20 playoff thread

21 minutes ago, JĖGAAAAAA!!! said:

My bad :) The logos of us and Wolves look a little bit alike in small format. Anyhow. Luke is like half of Mavs team. If he is still out (or back, but a little rusty) we have a good chance.

Regarding Luka, I checked his three point and free point shooting. He has been struggling for almost a month, threes in the midle of 20%, free throws around 60%. I just wonder, if trying to push his Mavs almost by himself has taken a toll on his body.

With the A game they  will make post-season for sure. With the A+ game, Grizzles will get higher  than 8 spot :)

getting higher then a 8th sees is pushing it , I will be happy with a 8th seed ,I could see in the top 4 in about 3 years 

33 minutes ago, lions said:

getting higher then a 8th sees is pushing it , I will be happy with a 8th seed ,I could see in the top 4 in about 3 years 

People are allowed to dream a little bit :)

Top 4 in about 3years? How about home field advantage in the post-season next year? I like to joke around, but I have one argument for Grizzlies progressing quicker. Team is like family. Sure, sometimes players don't get along, but most of the time they truly care for each other. Players, coaches spend so much time together. Starting in October til the middle of April they work, eat, travel, celebrate birthdays and do all other stuff. Not just like co-workers, but like good friends. And if chemistry on a team is healthy - that definitely results in couple more wins.

From all I've seen during interviews, body language, togetherness on the court (during melee in New York JV stood in the middle of the scuffle, with an angry look in his eyes) - I think that these Grizzlies are just good, modest, very talented and caring guys.

Now comes my point. JV  is 28. In his first year of the contract with the Grizz. When current three years contract will expire, JV will be 30. He will have just one more long term contract left (depending of how league will develop). Right now he is good shape. After last game's victory over the Pistons, during the post game interview JV jokingly said: "I'm working on my hops cause guys are throwing lobs to me". JV was very athletic before his physical development was derailed by the Raptors. Maybe this off-season he will try hard to get in better shape?

Last couple seasons in Toronto, when Raptors players were asked "Who is most vocal in the huddle?", to my surprise their answer was JV.

JV signed a pretty team friendly contract with the Grizz. He gives it all every game. I think that could be an X factor for the Grizz quicker progress. When young guys see a dude, biggest and strongest on a team, everyday giving it all and not hiding his emotions (JV yells after good play, or gets mad at himself for making a mistake) - the young guns are more encouraged. There is no need for them to be shy - they made to the NBA, that means that they are good. And Ja and JJJ are really very good.

JV's clock is ticking. I expect him next two season to play the  hardest he ever did (Casey, a joke as a coach, made JV a utility player with limited time on the court).  NBA talk around the league already began to circulate that Grizzlies are fun and good. Highest assists number at 27.6 per game team in the NBA. If Grizzlies will make to the post-season this year and give Lakers all they can handle (while AD was a Pelican and JV was a Raptor and both were suited for the game - AD never won against Raptors with JV) - NBA will want to see more of Grizz.

Ja will be an All-Star next year. JJJ could make it too. Ja will win this year's dunk contest. Some roster adjustments. Iguodala's stalemate resolved, and... WE COULD BE  REALLY GOOD already next year.

3 hours ago, lions said:

if  Memphis makes the play-off . coach JENKINS  will be coach of the year 

Not  granted. There are some sleepers. If their teams will succeed beyond expectations in the post-season, well...

We have a tough schedule for sure. But we can also expect for the last 10 games if the position are settle in front that some good team may rest some of their player, so let's play game by gam and see. We just through some bad games ( even with some wins). The tomorrow game will be interesting,playing Dalls without Luka will show our level.Dallas remain a good team but we have to compete !! Go Grizz !!

Right now I expect us and the Pels to finish slightly below. 500. The Spurs to win about 36-37. The Blazers at. 500 or one or two games above. 

I will be honest, I actually want to see the Blazers challenge the Lakers. Playoffs are about matchups. Lakers size not as impactful against the Blazers since they have size. (especially with Nurkic and Collins). Lakers dont have the off dribble scoring to abuse Melo on switches, meaning he can play 35 min against them. They are a post team and Melo is actually a good post defender. They have nobody that can even contain Dame. I want to see the Lakers sweat and honestly the Grizzlies wont do it. 

37 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Right now I expect us and the Pels to finish slightly below. 500. The Spurs to win about 36-37. The Blazers at. 500 or one or two games above. 

I will be honest, I actually want to see the Blazers challenge the Lakers. Playoffs are about matchups. Lakers size not as impactful against the Blazers since they have size. (especially with Nurkic and Collins). Lakers dont have the off dribble scoring to abuse Melo on switches, meaning he can play 35 min against them. They are a post team and Melo is actually a good post defender. They have nobody that can even contain Dame. I want to see the Lakers sweat and honestly the Grizzlies wont do it. 

F Portland. I’m not a denver fan but they doing me right atm

and rah rah lakers while were at it. Sorry spurs but this migt be your year to as baby animal from the muppet babies would say, “gooooo bye bye!”

Looking at the schedule I have 13 winnable games where you can put money on the good guys with a few games we can ‘flip’ if we play out of our minds — that would take us to 42 or 43 wins which might be enough to get in.  

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

The Pelicans have to finish the season 21-10 to just be .500

Remaining tough games for Pellies

Portland, OKC, @ portland, @LAL, LAL, HEAT, @ mavericks, @mavericks, @LAC, @UTAH,  SAS, @Grizz, Grizz, @Spurs, 76ers, @Spurs

You really think they're going 21-10? 

I believe Portland will be the one we fight with. NO play better but Zion is in learning process and no way for me they go for 21-10. SA is an old team, let's see of they go for a rebuild now or not, we know that in 2 days. If not they will challenge as they have experience at money time. For us, keep playing game after game and let's see whats happen. They have a successful season already.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

OK,  let's look at it.

Pels got their 31th loss today and they have a pretty bad coach.

I like Blazers too, just because they have Lillard. Blazers lost their 28th game to the Nuggets. Never had a chance, complete annihilation. Lilard cooled down for a while.

Spurs are done. Their coach is old, their players are old and their roster is bad. They too got their 28th loss, destroyed by the Lakers. Never had a chance.

So, you expect Pels to finish slightly below .500? To win 37-40 games? In that case they need to win finish at least 17-14. Good luck, but not happening this season. Their home record is 10-16, road record is 10-15.

Blazers with wins between 41-43? To achieve that they have to finish at least 18-13. That definitely could happen. Blazers have 10 road wins and 11 home losses. Blazers played 3 more games on the road than at home. Their remaining schedule is weak, I would be surprised if they don't finish above .500

Spurs with 36-37 wins? Seems about right. Even a major trade won't help them to the post-season.

Where does it leaves Grizzlies?  We are 25-25, but played 6 more games at home. Remaining schedule is very tough. Good thing is that Grizz play better as season progress and are healthy. Our direct competitor are Blazers. We play them twice, first at home, later on the road. Grizzlies need to maintain slight lead over the Blazers till the end and not lose to them twice when we will play them. Manageable, possible - let's go to work!

:)

21 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

The Pelicans have to finish the season 21-10 to just be .500

Remaining tough games for Pellies

Portland, OKC, @ portland, @LAL, LAL, HEAT, @ mavericks, @mavericks, @LAC, @UTAH,  SAS, @Grizz, Grizz, @Spurs, 76ers, @Spurs

You really think they're going 21-10? 

Im pretty sure that says slightly below .500 so if they remain healty with their overall schedule (possibly the easiest remaining) around 19-12 is highly possible. I mean the Spurs arent very good so I dont know how thats a tough game. Then they have mauled us twice. The other 15 games are creampuffs, they could easily win the majority of them.  Especially down the stretch where many of them will be playing the scrubs. 

Since Dec 10, when the Grizzlies broke a 3 game losing streak to beat the Warriors, their record is 20-9. During this time they have not lost more than 2 in a row. They were 6-16 before this Dec 10.

They now currently sit in 8th, at 26-25, 3 games clear of 9th (Portland), and are 14th in the league overall record.

From last year, after the same amount of games played, they were 20-31. 

This, and especially since Dec 10, that is a really impressive turnaround.

Heading into the trade deadline Memphis was given a 28.5% chance of making the playoffs by Sportsline Advanced Data. After the trades were announced the odds jumped to 66.1%. 

Just now, Grizz&Grind said:

That's bizarre. I think we have as bout as good a chance now as we did before the trades. It's possible the locker room turns ugly too. Really strange.

Just now, srmjr23 said:

That's bizarre. I think we have as bout as good a chance now as we did before the trades. It's possible the locker room turns ugly too. Really strange.

We made trades and our competitors didn't.   Arguably our biggest roster weakness was backup Bigs.   That was addressed in spades (Bell Dieng).   Grizz fans also seriously overestimated the oncourt value of Crowder and Hill.   Those minutes are now going to more talented players (Brandon, Josh, and SloMo).   It as addition by subtraction.   

With addition of Dieng and Bell we no longer have to panic when JJJ picks up 3 fouls in first quarter.   Thats HUGE. 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

We made trades and our competitors didn't.   Arguably our biggest roster weakness was backup Bigs.   That was addressed in spades (Bell Dieng).   Grizz fans also seriously overestimated the oncourt value of Crowder and Hill.   Those minutes are now going to more talented players (Brandon, Josh, and SloMo).   It as addition by subtraction.   

With addition of Dieng and Bell we no longer have to panic when JJJ picks up 3 fouls in first quarter.   Thats HUGE. 

I don't think many people overestimated the *on court* value of Crowder/Hill. We unquestionably got the better players in the trade.

Yep. The roster improved for sure, but there's a lot more than just talent needed to have a winning culture.

Let's see if the professionalism and performance stay the same and/or get better.

I'm just as intrigued by the chemistry as anything else.

38 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Weird take.

2 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Weird take.

Why? We just lost two vets that have been very valuable and brought in Dion Waites. Ask most people and the main concern they have about this trade is losing vets in such a great locker room environment.

Just now, srmjr23 said:

Why? We just lost two vets that have been very valuable and brought in Dion Waites. Ask most people and the main concern they have about this trade is losing vets in such a great locker room environment.

Just look up Dieng.    He will  be oldest on roster and is a great locker-room guy.   Waiters will be visiting  the Iggy/Parsons resort if he is any trouble.