Grizzled Vet

The overly optimistic, highly unlikely 19-20 playoff thread

Has anyone allowed themselves to look up at the playoff race instead of down on the convey/not convey topic?

As of today, the young Grizzlies sit 1.5 games out of 8th in the West (13-21).  I think it is safe to say the following:

1. As of the last day of 2019, nobody on this board, including me, expects them to make the playoff this season (please speak up if you do).

2. While the Grizzlies may have slightly exceeded expectations (as have the 17-15 Thunder), several WC teams have greatly underachieved. Spurs 13-18 sit in 8th. The Pelicans and Warriors have been hurt by injuries. Portland and T-Wolves have really disappointed, and the Kings and Suns still are who we thought they were (teams that should be much better than this year's Grizzlies squad, but sit above and below them now).

3.  The POTENTIAL is there that if the Grizzlies beat the Kings on 1/2/20, they could be sitting in 8th place (Spurs, Suns and Portland would need to all lose their games through that date.

4. The NBA is a different league for the last 40 games or so of the season.

I'm going to say this, I wouldn't mind watching a game again and thinking about playoff implications based on outcome. I don't expect it to be the topic of conversation on this board.....except for maybe in this one tiny thread that might not last 1 week in January, depending on how dumpy the rest of the WC tends to be.

tenor.gif

I really do think we have a chance basically because of how bad all the other teams are .....however I don't know if that's what the F.O wants.

The rotations(playing Marko) and load management(Jonas,Ja,Clarke) early on lost us some games so far ....will that continue ?

I agree that playoffs this season is pretty unlikely. 

Still, it is weird that we're so close in the standings.  The west was not supposed to only have 6 good teams heh..  Since we are pretty likely to be too good to keep our pick this year anyways, no reason to actively tank.  Keep the main focus on the long term, sure, but no reason not to try and win as many games as possible this year while we're at it.  Even a short 8 V 1 beatdown playoff series could be valuable experience for our young team. 

But again, it's pretty unlikely still and shouldn't be the main focus.  We've got some real talent on this team and the long term cultivation of that and building a good foundation is what this season is really about.

We can make the playoffs. We're 1-1 against the Spurs, 1-1 against the Thunder, 1-0 against the Suns, 1-0 against the Kings, and 2-0 against the Timberwolves. We haven't played Portland yet. Either way, that 5-2 against our main competition for that spot. There's essentially 7 teams fighting for those two spots. 

There's also the chance that the thunder and/or Spurs blow it up. If they trade DeRozan, Aldridge, Adams, or Gallinari then they can kiss their playoff chances goodbye. We can also improve depending what we get back for Iggy, and based on the fact that our young guys will hopefully continue to get better as the season progresses. 

8 minutes ago, grizzknob said:

I agree that playoffs this season is pretty unlikely. 

Still, it is weird that we're so close in the standings.  The west was not supposed to only have 6 good teams heh..  Since we are pretty likely to be too good to keep our pick this year anyways, no reason to actively tank.  Keep the main focus on the long term, sure, but no reason not to try and win as many games as possible this year while we're at it.  Even a short 8 V 1 beatdown playoff series could be valuable experience for our young team. 

But again, it's pretty unlikely still and shouldn't be the main focus.  We've got some real talent on this team and the long term cultivation of that and building a good foundation is what this season is really about.

At this point, I'll disagree that it shouldn't be our main concern. There's almost no way we get keep our pick like you mentioned. Therefore, the emphasis should be on winning and developing. The best way to develop is experience, and even if we get our heads kicked in, a playoff series would do wonders for everyone on our team. 

I look at a team like Dallas, and they're probably a little more talented than us, but they're not more talented than Portland, Utah, or Houston, but here they are just a half game back of hosting a playoff series. That's because they are all in on winning and have a great team chemistry together. We need to get there. 

Basically I mean that you don't need to trade for some short term veteran help to just make a run at the 8 seed, and don't need to rush back players from injuries because you're scared of missing the 8th spot.  But for sure, try to win every night.

Imho getting better should be the main focus. If we luck into a playoff series its completely unexpected but welcome,  but we need to be implementing schemes for the future. Getting better on the defensive end, which seems to be our biggest concern.  I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't be mad if we made it or if we didn't 

Let's learn how to WIN!  For those whose thoughts were of getting another top pick this season, it looks like that probably won't happen.  But if we start winning more now so that we are in the playoff picture or very close, it might be helpful in attracting a higher quality free agent this summer when the Grizzlies have a good deal of spending room.  Plus, it never hurts to learn to win.

If we somehow got the 8th seed I would have no idea whats going on anymore. Down is Up. Up is Down. 

We all will know by next month, if the Grizzlies are a real play-off contender, .Then they will be buyers next month. The month of January will be a VERY important time , I want a play-off 

2 minutes ago, lions said:

We all will know by next month, if the Grizzlies are a real play-off contender, .Then they will be buyers next month. The month of January will be a VERY important time , I want a play-off 

As others have mentioned, I don't think they will be buyers, at least not in the way that it could damage their future plans.  The focus is developing for the future still, and while a playoff series would be a great gift for young player development, I don't see them being anything but sellers during this trade deadline, regardless of their record.

5 hours ago, lions said:

Yeah gimme the playoffs!

I think we will know, at the latest, by the trade deadline (and I think the All Star Break is later that week or something).  

If we convey a pick, 15 is better for us than 7.  

Play game after game and see where we go. Play Off is not important this year. If the guys keep improving it will be a success. Hope we trade Iggy and Crowder and add a good piece, then fun will complete. 

It's really simple:

If we play Clarke 28+ minutes a game the rest of the way, we're trying to make the playoffs and we will

If we keep playing him 18-22 minutes/game we're not trying to make the playoffs and we won't

13 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Play game after game and see where we go. Play Off is not important this year. If the guys keep improving it will be a success. Hope we trade Iggy and Crowder and add a good piece, then fun will complete. 

I think our long-term Core Four (mix of O and D) is Ja/Jaren/Clarke/Melton. 

Let’s build around that over the next decade.  Right now that would include Jonas/Slo Mo/Grayson.  Later on, that might be different.  

I would be cool with late second round picks and cash for Iggy/Crowder.

Keeping our core guys and trading everyone else would actually allow us to trade for BOTH Kevin Love AND CP3.

Should we go ALL IN???

Double dagger last night as Spurs beat Warriors.

The win by Spurs hurts the playoff race.

The loss by Warriors could hurt draft odds and helps Warriors draft odds.

Kings loss helps (for playoffs, not draft)

OKC seems to be solid and will be interesting to watch.  Beat 5-seed Mavs, and sit solidly in 7th, but have some expiring contracts that could help in future.  Probably the team that will benefit the most from the Warriors and Pelicans injuries.

2 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Double dagger last night as Spurs beat Warriors.

The win by Spurs hurts the playoff race.

The loss by Warriors could hurt draft odds and helps Warriors draft odds.

Kings loss helps (for playoffs, not draft)

OKC seems to be solid and will be interesting to watch.  Beat 5-seed Mavs, and sit solidly in 7th, but have some expiring contracts that could help in future.  Probably the team that will benefit the most from the Warriors and Pelicans injuries.

We could actually trade for BOTH CP3 and Kevin Love while keeping basically all of our core guys and our top rotation guys (gotta trade Crowder though). 

Looks like cap hell but then we wouldn’t have to mess with Josh, and wouldn’t have to resign Dillon or Bruno.  Tyus’ $9 million a year would be off the roster too.  

It would end up being something like CP3/Ja/Slo Mo/Love/Jaren with Melton/Grayson/Brooks/Clarke/Jonas off the bench.  Bruno and probably Yuta/Konchar would round out our roster.  

Next year’s rotation would be Ja/Grayson/Slo Mo/Clarke/Jaren with CP3/Melton/Yuta/Love/Jonas off the bench along with Konchar and the Suns’ 2nd round pick.  

22 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

You're clogging the boards with insanity.

Our team would be deeper than some of our Team USA squads.

Just now, I❤️JV said:

Top 3 for me...I dislike Embiid and Simmons more

Must be a hang over from your Toronto days.  We haven't played them enough for me to develop any real dislike for them yet, but there's still time.;)

I remember when we got Matt Barnes  it was just awful I really dislike that dude and I regret he use our jersey to this day.

1 hour ago, costarica2 said:

I remember when we got Matt Barnes  it was just awful I really dislike that dude and I regret he use our jersey to this day.

I didn't like him much either, but I got over it when he put on Beale St. Blue because he played hard for the team.  You know he was drafted by the Grizzlies?