Grizz&Grind

Would You Shut Josh Jackson Down Right Now?

Recommended Posts

Serious question.

Hustle got the all time G League record with the 10-0 start, so that's off the table.

And the Grizz aren't in any hurry to call him up even though he's balling out.

I know they have their reasons for not calling him up, but would you continue to put what may be a quality asset on the floor going forward at this point?

I'd be hesitant if I was the GM - especially now that the media and fans on social media are somewhat getting restless with this situation.

Because they will look real dumb if he gets injured going forward now that he's mostly proven his on court ability.

You send a lottery pick to the G Leauge, he balls out, you don't call him up, and he gets a bad injury - that's a tough PR spin right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it would look worse if they shut him down and don't call him up.  keep playing him until you decide what to do with him, whether that's to call him up, trade him, cut him, whatever.  in an ideal world for me, he becomes the starting SF in place of jae, dillon becomes back SF (he's better/more suited for SF IMO), pick up a starting SG in draft/FA, and if allen keeps developing he becomes backup SG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

it would look worse if they shut him down and don't call him up.  keep playing him until you decide what to do with him, whether that's to call him up, trade him, cut him, whatever.  in an ideal world for me, he becomes the starting SF in place of jae, dillon becomes back SF (he's better/more suited for SF IMO), pick up a starting SG in draft/FA, and if allen keeps developing he becomes backup SG.

Probably so.

They are getting into dangerous waters though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Nope, it would serve no purpose to just sit him. I wish the front office were a little more open about this situation 

Agree they have to do something with him though.

Can't have the #4 pick in the draft tearing up the G League all season while your NBA team is at the bottom of the standings.

I mean, you can, but it's not a good look. There is a slow swell of rumbles from media and fans that will only get louder and larger if this course continues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Call him up. No reason to shut him down. I get the “tough love” make him earn it mantra, but injuries to Ja and Clarke along with JJJs uninspiring play should dictate a call up. Get some energy into the franchise. No better time than now if he’s behaving accordingly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For sure you cannot sit him and not have him play with the main squad. The Grizz might be screwing the pooch since the longer this goes the less chance Josh resigns also. Worst case scenario this turns into another Whiteside situation. Because just like Hassan clearly he has the talent and it's been his attitude that's holding him back, redeeming himself with each dleague game played. So bring him up before this backfires on us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Call him up. No reason to shut him down. I get the “tough love” make him earn it mantra, but injuries to Ja and Clarke along with JJJs uninspiring play should dictate a call up. Get some energy into the franchise. No better time than now if he’s behaving accordingly. 

And you can always send him right back down...he steps out of line or does something dumb...

He may affect the tank though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cdp said:

For sure you cannot sit him and not have him play with the main squad. The Grizz might be screwing the pooch because the longer this goes the less chance Josh resigns. Worst case scenario this turns into another Whiteside situation. Because just like Hassan clearly he has the talent and it's been his attitude that's holding him back, redeeming himself with each dleague game played. So bring him up before this backfires on us.

Agree. Fine line between motivating a player and peeving him off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Let him get a gleague championship with the hustle. 

If he's down there that long, then he's simply walking when the year is over.

And the fanbase and media are wondering why you traded for the 4th pick in the draft, never called him up while he was schooling the G League, and then let him walk for nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

And you can always send him right back down...he steps out of line or does something dumb...

He may affect the tank though.

Image result for I think he's got it gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Nope, it would serve no purpose to just sit him. I wish the front office were a little more open about this situation 

Its because they cant say publically that he is just a 7.8 million expiring that we dont want around the team but will trade in the right deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Serious question.

Hustle got the all time G League record with the 10-0 start, so that's off the table.

And the Grizz aren't in any hurry to call him up even though he's balling out.

I know they have their reasons for not calling him up, but would you continue to put what may be a quality asset on the floor going forward at this point?

I'd be hesitant if I was the GM - especially now that the media and fans on social media are somewhat getting restless with this situation.

Because they will look real dumb if he gets injured going forward now that he's mostly proven his on court ability.

You send a lottery pick to the G Leauge, he balls out, you don't call him up, and he gets a bad injury - that's a tough PR spin right there.

The majority of fans aren't getting restless about Josh Jackson anymore than they are restless about Andre Iquodala. The vast majority have already forgotten they are on the roster. If you want to wake up the fans and get them asking questions then do something to draw attention to him like benching him. That would get the media and fans talking a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Its because they cant say publically that he is just a 7.8 million expiring that we dont want around the team but will trade in the right deal.

I know there is a new crew in the FO, but let's be honest...after some of the guys they've had on the roster and things they have done, seems odd that Jackson is THAT bad.

B/C we've had some knuckleheads before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chipc3 said:

The majority of fans aren't getting restless about Josh Jackson anymore than they are restless about Andre Iquodala. The vast majority have already forgotten they are on the roster. If you want to wake up the fans and get them asking questions then do something to draw attention to him like benching him. That would get the media and fans talking a lot. 

I disagree - you follow enough on Twitter and you can see the way the tide is turning.

Edmiston is talking about it on talk radio for a reason.

Etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

And you can always send him right back down...he steps out of line or does something dumb...

He may affect the tank though.

I thought we were tanking for Evan Mobley, Jalen Green, and Terrence Clarke....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The majority of fans aren't getting restless about Josh Jackson anymore than they are restless about Andre Iquodala. The vast majority have already forgotten they are on the roster. If you want to wake up the fans and get them asking questions then do something to draw attention to him like benching him. That would get the media and fans talking a lot. 

Probably right.

But my main point and reason for the question is what do you do - you obviously can't keep doing what you're doing if he's playing the way he is AND if he gets injured, it's a bad PR place to be to have to explain that.

So far they have been allowed to keep their plans secretive - ruin a 4th pick in the draft in the G League, and things get a little more dicey with the public.

IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

I disagree - you follow enough on Twitter and you can see the way the tide is turning.

Edmiston is talking about it on talk radio for a reason.

Etc.

I don't expect you to change your opinion. I am just stating my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Probably right.

But my main point and reason for the question is what do you do - you obviously can't keep doing what you're doing if he's playing the way he is AND if he gets injured, it's a bad PR place to be to have to explain that.

So far they have been allowed to keep their plans secretive - ruin a 4th pick in the draft in the G League, and things get a little more dicey with the public.

IMO

Didn't you just disagree with that same post? 

Anyway, players can get injured walking down the street, practicing, playing in the G League or playing in the show. You can't prevent them. 

Turning your argument around, bringing Jackson up prior to their schedule could allow him to screw up majorly again. This would be the same as telling him his talent is more important than his off-court actions. It makes a lot of sense to me to stick with the plan they established before the season and make him serve his full penalty with the Hustle before bringing him up. The likelihood of him doing something stupid with the Grizzlies seems higher than the likelihood of him being injured with the Hustle. 

You are rolling the dice either way. I think the front office is smart to stick to their plan rather than flip-flop around when they are attempting to garner support during their rookie year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Didn't you just disagree with that same post? 

Anyway, players can get injured walking down the street, practicing, playing in the G League or playing in the show. You can't prevent them. 

Turning your argument around, bringing Jackson up prior to their schedule could allow him to screw up majorly again. This would be the same as telling him his talent is more important than his off-court actions. It makes a lot of sense to me to stick with the plan they established before the season and make him serve his full penalty with the Hustle before bringing him up. The likelihood of him doing something stupid with the Grizzlies seems higher than the likelihood of him being injured with the Hustle. 

You are rolling the dice either way.   

I disagreed with part of your post and agreed with another part.

I mean, you make good points - I just wonder how long they can keep doing what they're are doing.

I don't think from a PR standpoint it's sustainable.

Heck you have current Grizz on Twitter wanting the guy called up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW:

There has been a lot of discussions lately about Memphis Grizzlies forward Josh Jackson who is currently on assignment with the Memphis Hustle in the G-League. He has had signs of support shown to him via twitter from his teammates including Ja Morant, Jaren Jackson Jr., and Jae Crowder but on Tuesday night his efforts got the ultimate sign of support from 'The Grindfather' himself, former Grizzly, Tony Allen.

https://www.si.com/nba/grizzlies/news/josh-jackson-gets-support-from-tony-allen

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/g-league-update-josh-jackson/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh looks like a potential "fourth guy" to go with Ja and Jaren and Clarke.

Would hate to botch that.  If it DOES get botched, let Josh Jackson pull it off all by himself.  Let Josh do the honors.

IF Josh is our fourth horseman then we can get our "fifth guy" in the draft.  And, YES, you SHOULD take fit/need/intangibles/culture into account.  Likely, there really aren't many (if any) Ja Morants in this draft.  I wouldn't be shocked if there are no Jarens or Clarkes in this draft.  Maybe not even a Josh Jackson.

With those four guys, you can then either get a big roster or a small-ball roster to fit Wisman in (Jaren/Clarke at the forward spots with Josh at the 2), smaller with Anthony Edwards, RJ Hampton, LaMelo Ball (bust potential? bad fit potential?), Tyrese Haliburton, and Nico Mannion.  Right-sized rotation with a Josh Green or a Scottie Lewis or a Tres Tinkle (my sleeper pick).  Even Precious Achiuwa or Deni Avdija could be that "fifth guy" and be a solid/decent fit in a lineup featuring Ja/Josh/Clarke/Jaren.

As far as draft positioning goes, we are at 6 right now.  With a 45.8% chance to get a top 6 pick.

Not even a toss-up in our favor.  

Would rather move down to something like 10 with a 20% chance to move into the top 4 (same odds at 8 too).  

So we avoid the odds of sending Boston a pick at 7.  We also avoid a middling pick at 4-6.  

So, it would either be TOP 4 OR WE GET OUR 2020 PICK.

Even if we end up as the FIFTH WORST team in the league there would still be a 36.1% chance of us conveying our pick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's a stupid move to keep him down there. What's the worse case scenario? 

He's bad, breaks what little chemistry our team has? That's fine, cut him, we're off the hook for next year anyway. No big deal. We need a roster spot anyway. 

Or he plays very well, the other guys get healthy, we become a middle of the road team and end up conveying the pick to Boston? We're giving it up either this year or next year. We'll have 59 million in cap space regardless. If Josh actually turns out to be good, then we re-sign him and we essentially got a first round pick (plus whatever we get from an Iggy or Crowder trade). 

The reality is probably somewhere in the middle I guess, but the worst thing to do is to continue to leave him down there and waste whatever opportunity he brings you.

We already won the trade by getting Melton and a 2nd for a player we didn't want. If Josh turns out to be good, then we really come out on top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Josh looks like a potential "fourth guy" to go with Ja and Jaren and Clarke.

Would hate to botch that.  If it DOES get botched, let Josh Jackson pull it off all by himself.  Let Josh do the honors.

IF Josh is our fourth horseman then we can get our "fifth guy" in the draft.  And, YES, you SHOULD take fit/need/intangibles/culture into account.  Likely, there really aren't many (if any) Ja Morants in this draft.  I wouldn't be shocked if there are no Jarens or Clarkes in this draft.  Maybe not even a Josh Jackson.

With those four guys, you can then either get a big roster or a small-ball roster to fit Wisman in (Jaren/Clarke at the forward spots with Josh at the 2), smaller with Anthony Edwards, RJ Hampton, LaMelo Ball (bust potential? bad fit potential?), Tyrese Haliburton, and Nico Mannion.  Right-sized rotation with a Josh Green or a Scottie Lewis or a Tres Tinkle (my sleeper pick).  Even Precious Achiuwa or Deni Avdija could be that "fifth guy" and be a solid/decent fit in a lineup featuring Ja/Josh/Clarke/Jaren.

As far as draft positioning goes, we are at 6 right now.  With a 45.8% chance to get a top 6 pick.

Not even a toss-up in our favor.  

Would rather move down to something like 10 with a 20% chance to move into the top 4 (same odds at 8 too).  

So we avoid the odds of sending Boston a pick at 7.  We also avoid a middling pick at 4-6.  

So, it would either be TOP 4 OR WE GET OUR 2020 PICK.

Even if we end up as the FIFTH WORST team in the league there would still be a 36.1% chance of us conveying our pick.

 

Josh theoretically fits perfectly with our young core. Unless we're bottom 4 like you pointed out, there's a good chance we don't even get our pick this year. Bottom 4, there's a 82% chance of us keeping it, like you pointed out in our current position the most likely outcome is we are the 7th pick, which is the worst possible outcome. We either need to win more or lose more, and I honestly don't think we can lose more than the other teams below us. 

We still have cap space, and if Josh works out, we can sign a solid two guard in free agency like Beasley or Bogdanovic. 

Ja, Beasley/Bogdanovic, Josh, Brandon, Jaren gives you insane length and athleticism, great shooting, good defense, very good playmaking. 

You also still have Melton, grayson, Dillon, Kyle, JV, tyus and Marko I guess, and cap space. That lineup would give he hope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now