Sign in to follow this  
I❤️JV

Unloved Unwanted and Underappreciated

I feel Solomon Hill is so underappreciated. Some posters even hate the guy. Why ?  Yet i expected nothing from him and return we are getting from Solo is a pleasant surprise.

I don't think we can trade him on his own for an asset, but if we keep him this season, i am more than happy to sign him for 2020/21...for vet minimum ofc.

Solomon Hill is playing great according to advanced stats. 

He is #1 on the team in net rating (offensive and defensive ratings) and the only player with a positive number in that regard. 

He is 4th on the team in WP48 at .171. Just behind Yuta Watanabe, De'Anthony Melton and Brandon Clarke. Considering Yuta and De'Anthony have extremely small amounts of minutes to compare that puts Hill in second place really. 

His POP48 (points over par per 48) also places him 4th. His Wins Produced is 4th as well behind Brandon Clarke, Jae Crowder and Kyle Anderson. 

His PIE (Player Impact Estimate) number is only 9th best on the team however. 

I think the people who think Hill isn't good simply don't watch the games and their opinions shouldn't be taken seriously. It makes things much easier for me. Once someone says something like "Hill sucks", I just ignore everything else they say.

During Media day and the begging I was one those people the the main reason why was that I though he was 34 I was actually shock he was 28 .

1 hour ago, costarica2 said:

During Media day and the begging I was one those people the the main reason why was that I though he was 34 I was actually shock he was 28 .

is his birth certificate legit?  Anyone check?

He's 6th in defensive rating, 5th in offensive rating, 5th in value over replacement level player on our team.

Total win shares is 7th, win shares per 48 is 5th. He's slightly negative in Offensive and Defensive Plus/Minus (therefore negative total plus/minus). He's also 6th in turnover % despite being dead last in usage %. 

All in all, he's a maybe slightly above replacement level player. That doesn't make him good though. He doesn't make us worse at least, which isn't something a lot of players on our team can say. I feel the need to remind everyone that an average player on a terrible team, doesn't mean he's a good player. Again he doesn't make costly mistakes, and is very efficient overall. There's certainly value to that, but overall he's 168th in WS/48 and 194 in VORP. Also 305th in defensive rating and 216th in offensive rating (more people qualify for this stat than the win shares and VORP). Forgive me if I'm not blown away. 

Side note: NBA.com and Basketball reference don't seem to agree on all the stats, but I trust basketball reference the most. 

1 hour ago, Lugan Village said:

is his birth certificate legit?  Anyone check?

Image result for barack Obama Gif

I like King Solomon. He’s always encouraging the younger guys and he usually plays to his role and knows his limitations (absent the periodic stepbacks). On board with keeping him for the vet min. 

It’s not his fault someone overpaid him on his last deal! 

6 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

I feel Solomon Hill is so underappreciated. Some posters even hate the guy. Why ?  Yet i expected nothing from him and return we are getting from Solo is a pleasant surprise.

I don't think we can trade him on his own for an asset, but if we keep him this season, i am more than happy to sign him for 2020/21...for vet minimum ofc.

who Underappreciated is not Solomon Hill , its J,V

the Grizzlies have  Problem at the 2,  brooks is not a N,B,A  starter 

1 hour ago, lions said:

the Grizzlies have  Problem at the 2,  brooks is not a N,B,A  starter 

That's a little harsh. He is a two way player on a 6 win team and has had five 20 point games in which were all Grizzly victories. There are worse starting SG's on better teams.

10 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

I’d venture to guess you can find poster hate for every player this season and every season. I think folks develop initial impressions based on whatever/whenever, and then spend the season defending those impressions. 

17 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

I think the people who think Hill isn't good simply don't watch the games and their opinions shouldn't be taken seriously. It makes things much easier for me. Once someone says something like "Hill sucks", I just ignore everything else they say.

This made me laugh, but is so true.

4 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

My only complaint with Hill at this point is that he’s not unleashing the fro more often.

It is a secret weapon, only to be used sparingly. The power is too great and could derail the tank.