chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies @ Golden State Warriors - 12/9/19

Grizzlies Gametime Discussion

Date/Time: Monday, December 9, 9:30 PM

Memphis Grizzlies @ Golden State Warriors

Television: NBALP | Fox Sports South

Memphis Radio: 92.9FM | 680AM

Promotions: 

Grizz Social: iTunes Google Play Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram Pinterest Snapchat Flickr YouTube LinkedIn

Grizzlies Starting 5

Ja Morant Dillon Brooks  Jae Crowder Jaren Jackson Jr Jonas Valanciunas
 1629630.png  1628415.png  203109.png 1628991.png  202685.png

Warriors Starting 5

Alec Burks Glenn Robinson III Eric Paschall Draymond Green Willie Cauley-Stein
 202692.png 203922.png 1629672.png  203110.png 1626161.png

Benches

Memphis Grizzlies: Grayson Allen, Kyle Anderson, Bruno Caboclo, Brandon Clarke, Marco Guduric, Solomon Hill, Tyus Jones, John Konchar (2), D'Anthony Melton, Yuta Watanabe (2)

Golden State: Ky Bowman, Marquese Chris, Stephan Curry (INJ), Jacob Evans, Damian Lee, Kevon Looney, Jordan Poole, D'Angelo Russell (INJ), Alen Smailagic, Omari Spellman, Klay Thompson (INJ)

Grizzlies: Preview | Recap | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets | Promotions | Watch Parties

Warriors: Preview | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | 

Depth Charts: CBS | ESPN | Yahoo

Injuries: CBS | ESPN | FOX | Yahoo

after this year Golden State will become once again a power house , get them now 

this might be our best chance to win in the next 6 games...I hope we bring a team game versus every player doing their iso when they touch the ball....when is JA back?  with JJJ their two top five picks in last two drafts, these young players have to step up and show they got some compete, and intensity.

I wonder if they should change their name back to the San Francisco Warriors.  

The team moved and that GSW dynasty “might” be over for good.  Durant is gone and at the very least Dray lost his mojo.  

There’s also a part of me that hopes that the Warriors don’t reload with a healthier core AND a top lotto pick.  

A must loose one against one of our opponent for bottom 5.  I trust Hill, Allen, Marko and others to do the job.

GSW will have to manage Curry return ( or pretend his injury take longer than expected) and New Orleans will have Zion back. So we should finish bottom at West. hopefully, only 2 or 3 East teams are lower than us too. Ad Then pray for the ball.....   

10 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

A must loose one against one of our opponent for bottom 5.  I trust Hill, Allen, Marko and others to do the job.

GSW will have to manage Curry return ( or pretend his injury taqke longer than expected) and New Orleans will have Zion back. So we should finish bottom at West. hopefully, only 2 or 3 East teams are lower than us too. Ad Then pray for the ball.....   

we keep thinking and caring about about lose, lose, lose, and we will loose it all.  You think the players want to lose?  You think Jenkins thinks like that?   A culture of losing and so called fans who want to lose won't get any commitment from FA's and players traded for won't stay.  Unless your kidding?

Just now, Lugan Village said:

we keep thinking and caring about about lose, lose, lose, and we will loose it all.  You think the players want to lose?  You think Jenkins thinks like that?   A culture of losing and so called fans who want to lose won't get any commitment from FA's and players traded for won't stay.  Unless your kidding?

I'm not kidding, just realistic. We are pretty bad, as expected. Probably the worst defense in NBA, and rebound not so good as well ( excecpt JV). We knew it from the beginning of the season, so no need to pretend the opposite. The only important thing is to help Ja, JJJ, BC to improve, then get a good pick, one good FA and trade 2 or 3 players in a smart way. Then team will start to be competitive.

I hate tanking, but NBA rules make it necessary. 5 or 6 teams  already start to tank (after less than 20 games which is a shame but...)  and we are in competition with those team. The draft this year does not look very impressive ( i may be wrong), so picking a top 4 is clearly a priority. 

They are trying to win as many as they can right now. And smartly so. The losses will come but building some type of competitive culture is worth way more than trying to get 7% chance at a higher pick.......in early December. 

2 hours ago, BAMAFREAK said:

They are trying to win as many as they can right now. And smartly so. The losses will come but building some type of competitive culture is worth way more than trying to get 7% chance at a higher pick.......in early December. 

I don't think it's the odds of getting the first pick that bothers people, more that if we suck all year but have the 6th worst record we'll have sucked all year and have more chance of giving up the pick than keeping it. 

Grizzlies coach Taylor Jenkins confirmed after the team’s workout in Utah on Friday that Morant has made steady progress in his recovery. But Jenkins said the team’s medical staff wants to continue to see how Morant’s body responds to the increased practice workloads before determining how much closer he is to returning to game action.

Good chance Morant is back for this game. 

we can compete in this game if JA is available and healthy...otherwise the schedule for balance of Dec is tough to see where we might find a win...if that scenario plays out, not a healthy situation for the team, coaching, ownership, fan base going into 2nd half of season...not that we hit the panic button, but GM needs to make a move or two to get competitive to help this young team progress...like Iguodala...enough waiting, dispose of him, move on

15 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

we can compete in this game if JA is available and healthy...otherwise the schedule for balance of Dec is tough to see where we might find a win...if that scenario plays out, not a healthy situation for the team, coaching, ownership, fan base going into 2nd half of season...not that we hit the panic button, but GM needs to make a move or two to get competitive to help this young team progress...like Iguodala...enough waiting, dispose of him, move on

Competitive? Competitive to do what? If they win a few more games do you see this being a good thing? Are you suggesting the team is capable of making the playoffs if they get healthy? 

Reality is this team is bad and needs to remain bad this season to shorten the turn around to becoming a good team, possibly even a championship team. If the Grizzlies don't get a top 6 pick in this summer's lottery then they won't have a first round pick this year. Anything after 6th and the pick goes to Boston. The Utah pick is protected from 1-7 and from 15-30. Utah appears to be a lock for the playoffs so it is unlikely the Grizzlies will get their pick this summer. 

The worst place for a team to be is in the middle which appears to be the goal of the post. I can't support that. I have no issue with the team playing strange lineups, trying different player combinations and giving experience to young players this season. It is best to embrace the rebuild (better term than tank) and be hopeful the lottery brings another star to the franchise. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Competitive? Competitive to do what? If they win a few more games do you see this being a good thing? Are you suggesting the team is capable of making the playoffs if they get healthy? 

Reality is this team is bad and needs to remain bad this season to shorten the turn around to becoming a good team, possibly even a championship team. If the Grizzlies don't get a top 6 pick in this summer's lottery then they won't have a first round pick this year. Anything after 6th and the pick goes to Boston. The Utah pick is protected from 1-7 and from 15-30. Utah appears to be a lock for the playoffs so it is unlikely the Grizzlies will get their pick this summer. 

The worst place for a team to be is in the middle which appears to be the goal of the post. I can't support that. I have no issue with the team playing strange lineups, trying different player combinations and giving experience to young players this season. It is best to embrace the rebuild (better term than tank) and be hopeful the lottery brings another star to the franchise. 

Chip, I got no illusions about this team making the playoffs....but worse case for this team is to lay down, and don't learn to compete with a chance to win any given game., with accountability for their individual and team play...versus who cares, lets play roulette with the DRAFT, let JJJ take any shot, let JA drive to the basket on every drive, or let JV continue to cover his guy on the switch 4 feet away...that sounds like Timberwolves, Knicks, Kings...loser franchises that keep waiting in purgatory forever for that one or two players...let me share with you....that day never comes with that culture.....

16 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

Chip, I got no illusions about this team making the playoffs....but worse case for this team is to lay down, and don't learn to compete with a chance to win any given game., with accountability for their individual and team play...versus who cares, lets play roulette with the DRAFT, let JJJ take any shot, let JA drive to the basket on every drive, or let JV continue to cover his guy on the switch 4 feet away...that sounds like Timberwolves, Knicks, Kings...loser franchises that keep waiting in purgatory forever for that one or two players...let me share with you....that day never comes with that culture.....

I haven't seen the team laying down. I just think they aren't very good and sometimes veteran teams make the team look bad (Like Utah). They fought hard against Chicago in the previous game for instance.

There is a difference between laying down and giving your all and it not being enough. I haven't seen Jaren taking any shot he wants, Ja driving to the basket on every drive (although where else would you want him to be headed if he is driving with the ball?) or JV playing any different than he has in the past. JV is recovering from a bad foot, Ja is out with a bad back and Jaren is putting up decent number considering his age and experience (that's not to say he has improved from last season however). 

To me the worst case is the Grizzlies try to win just enough games so that they don't get a high draft pick and have to repeat the process next season. It is far better to work with the youth this season and accept the losses while encouraging the effort. 

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I haven't seen the team laying down. I just think they aren't very good and sometimes veteran teams make the team look bad (Like Utah). They fought hard against Chicago in the previous game for instance.

There is a difference between laying down and giving your all and it not being enough. I haven't seen Jaren taking any shot he wants, Ja driving to the basket on every drive (although where else would you want him to be headed if he is driving with the ball?) or JV playing any different than he has in the past. JV is recovering from a bad foot, Ja is out with a bad back and Jaren is putting up decent number considering his age and experience (that's not to say he has improved from last season however). 

To me the worst case is the Grizzlies try to win just enough games so that they don't get a high draft pick and have to repeat the process next season. It is far better to work with the youth this season and accept the losses while encouraging the effort. 

Just look at the Timberwolves franchise....after KG left Minneapolis, series of bad trades and draft busts, and they were constantly changing roster from season to season, trying to find extraordinary rookies, but most of this adventures, in the end, turned out to be a total failure.  The potential is there, but nothing happens. Karl-Anthony Towns, Wiggins, LaVine, Kris Dunn, Muhammad, all of these players have a potential to be an All-Stars. And with two injured Europeans Rubio and Pekovic, they could be reaching a play-off battle. But that is all “could be” talking, and rest of the NBA doesnt give a **** from game to game. Who cares if you are a first-round top 5 draft pick, you got to go to the court and show what you know.

We both have the same end objective, but Im just adding that compete now/and we cant just do it with the DRAFT...there is no guarantees, and its too early to tell with JJJ, JA and BC...but i like this group if they add that to their game....

1 hour ago, Lugan Village said:

35 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

Just look at the Timberwolves franchise....after KG left Minneapolis, series of bad trades and draft busts, and they were constantly changing roster from season to season, trying to find extraordinary rookies, but most of this adventures, in the end, turned out to be a total failure.  The potential is there, but nothing happens. Karl-Anthony Towns, Wiggins, LaVine, Kris Dunn, Muhammad, all of these players have a potential to be an All-Stars. And with two injured Europeans Rubio and Pekovic, they could be reaching a play-off battle. But that is all “could be” talking, and rest of the NBA doesnt give a **** from game to game. Who cares if you are a first-round top 5 draft pick, you got to go to the court and show what you know.

We both have the same end objective, but Im just adding that compete now/and we cant just do it with the DRAFT...there is no guarantees, and its too early to tell with JJJ, JA and BC...but i like this group if they add that to their game....

Do you see how you are switching your argument? Are you arguing that the team is quitting. Now you are arguing that the Minnesota failure to rebuild properly proves you can't rely on the draft. Your original post is below stating that if the team can get Ja back they can compete. 

3 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

Andre getting "disposed of" isn't going to help the team immediately unless the disposal is to trade him to another team. 

So my question to you is simple. How do you believe disposing of Andre Iguodala now - rather than waiting to get the best possible return closer to the trade deadline - is going to prevent the team from making draft mistakes similar to Minnesota or change the team's ability to compete?  

I think the point here is losing sucks.  So don't try to lose.

I remember hearing Kenny Smith talk about being drafted by the Kings, and Bill Russell was the coach.  So whenever the team traveled, Russell would make Smith sit next to him on the plane.  When Smith protested and asked why he couldn't hang out with the rest of the team, Coach Russell said "because they're a bunch of losers".  

I hate losing, and I would much rather see us winning right now and developing a winning culture.  But the reality is we don't have the horses to be winners yet.

Oh and as long as we're losing, we do want to see some progress.  Which includes getting something for that bum Iggy.