Sign in to follow this  
I❤️JV

JV is dead man walking

Hard to see a team that needs him enough to give up a first. 

I don't think the fit should be written off just yet though, this style is going to take some getting used to for him but it's worth sticking at for a while longer to make it work.  

this is a stupid thread...stirring the pot...thankfully coaches and management don't read this forum or press...it's early, this team is better short term and long term(3 years) with JV finding where he best fits in once we start playing as a team and not individuals....right, its about team?  let me ask again, its about this group of guys progressing as a team...right? 

24 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

this is a stupid thread...stirring the pot...thankfully coaches and management don't read this forum or press...it's early, this team is better short term and long term(3 years) with JV finding where he best fits in once we start playing as a team and not individuals....right, its about team?  let me ask again, its about this group of guys progressing as a team...right? 

This group will never play the right way with Ja as a leader and Jenkins as a HC...3 shots in 25 min?...writing is on a wall for JV...and the best hope for JV is a trade....This is not a winning culture....and Jenkins will never be able to create one...Ja will play for Ja and not the Grizz...He can look amazing but so is Westbrook or Kyrie Irving.... the team will lose for a couple years Jenkins will gets fired and rebuild starts again....JV is dead in Memphis...only trade can save him. 

JV will be fine once Crowder and Hill are gone and touches get redistributed. Patience.

And comparing Ja with Westbrook is a reach, especially at this early stage. Ja has never shown signs of being a ballhog in college and his assist rate is very good, especially considering the bricklayer crew we have in the perimeter.

To clarify on my Ja Westbrook comp.   

Ja himself says he idolizes Westbrook and you can see he patterned his attacking offensive style after him.      Ja tries to dunk on EVERYBODY and he constantly mean mugs after every cold-blooded play.    That is Westbrookian and any one can easily see how growing up watching Brodie influenced that.    It isn't Kobe - Michael Jordan level imitation but definite influence. 

I agree that his ceiling is higher due to being more skilled passer/playmaker and better shooter.    Excited for him to carve out his own identity. 

Way too early to call that. I think taking him out earlier or even just having him come off the bench to be the focal of the 2nd unit will go a long way. Basically play him and JJJ together less.

3 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

This group will never play the right way with Ja as a leader and Jenkins as a HC...3 shots in 25 min?...writing is on a wall for JV...and the best hope for JV is a trade....This is not a winning culture....and Jenkins will never be able to create one...Ja will play for Ja and not the Grizz...He can look amazing but so is Westbrook or Kyrie Irving.... the team will lose for a couple years Jenkins will gets fired and rebuild starts again....JV is dead in Memphis...only trade can save him. 

You're not literally the worst, but you're literally the 4th or 5th worst. 

Jonas is averaging right around his career avg. He's performing as expected. That lil blip when he joined the Grizz was an aberration. He's performing as expected but his style of play may not be the best fit for Jenkins' system and to be alongside JJJ. 

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Jonas is averaging right around his career avg. He's performing as expected. That lil blip when he joined the Grizz was an aberration. He's performing as expected but his style of play may not be the best fit for Jenkins' system and to be alongside JJJ. 

This is the reality - he was putting those numbers up on a team that was playing Bruno (buried on our bench having played a total of 85 minutes for us this entire season), Tyler Dorsey (out of the NBA right now) and Justin Holiday 30+ minutes. SOMEONE had to score. SOMEONE had to rebound.

1 minute ago, ACGrizz said:

This is the reality - he was putting those numbers up on a team that was playing Bruno (buried on our bench having played a total of 85 minutes for us this entire season), Tyler Dorsey (out of the NBA right now) and Justin Holiday 30+ minutes. SOMEONE had to score. SOMEONE had to rebound.

His usage rate as an AllTime high too.  It wont ever sniff that level again as long as he is starting alongside Ja and Jaren (and it shouldn't).   If he wants to flourish again offensively he should request to move to the second unit.   Neither Tyus or SloMo really want to score anyway. 

I think off the bench makes so much more sense for him. For the bench unit, you can just throw it into the post and get out of the way. Rebounding percentage might go up even more. He'd be essentially the go to scorer off the bench. 

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Apparently some on this board think that where were going with JJJ is one on 5 ball, with the rest of the grizz lined up at half court so they dont get in his way...

I'll play along with you....who is center on this team that will manage the boards at both ends, play physical against the elite bigs, set the screens for JA...and get you an almost guaranteed two points down low in the paint..... JJJ has not shown this type of game and the other option is a 6.7 forward... 

4 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

Apparently some on this board think that where were going with JJJ is one on 5 ball, with the rest of the grizz lined up at half court so they dont get in his way...

I'll play along with you....who is center on this team that will manage the boards at both ends, play physical against the elite bigs, set the screens for JA...and get you an almost guaranteed two points down low in the paint..... JJJ has not shown this type of game and the other option is a 6.7 forward... 

Play along with what? When did I say JJJ needed to start at C?

I said Jonas is performing as expected and that's all. He may not be a good fit for Jenkin's system but he and his agent should have known that before re-signing. This ha snothing to do with JJJ. JJJ has deficiencies that need to be addressed. Jonas just is who he is. As others pointed out, he had an abnormally high usage rate as well. He's performing as expected. 

47 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I think off the bench makes so much more sense for him. For the bench unit, you can just throw it into the post and get out of the way. Rebounding percentage might go up even more. He'd be essentially the go to scorer off the bench. 

Really? With no scorers on the floor with him they will just flood the middle and it will be like Gasol all over again. If he wants to play with the starters he's going to have to chucking up 3s when he gets the ball and is open. He had a chance to do that in the last game but it takes him too long to decide to shoot the ball.

34 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Really? With no scorers on the floor with him they will just flood the middle and it will be like Gasol all over again. If he wants to play with the starters he's going to have to chucking up 3s when he gets the ball and is open. He had a chance to do that in the last game but it takes him too long to decide to shoot the ball.

Hill, Marko, and Grayson (even Tyus to an extent) can keep a defense honest. None are great shooters, but provide enough spacing at least. He'd have to go quick to avoid doubles, but against much smaller defenders, that shouldn't be that hard. 

11 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

So....JV is dead in Memphis.....Can Memphis get a 1st for him?...or he is totally useless?

Sounds like frustration talking. I have been frustrated with this scenario as well, but we gotta give it some time to see how all the pieces fit together. 

5 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

It's hard to say his performance was an aberration after the trade last year. It was also the first time in his entire career he was allowed to be more than a role player, so it's probably fairer to say the way he was used was an aberration, and he performed like at least a borderline all-star as the Grizz overachieved down the stretch. The closest thing to that before was some good playoff performances. Honestly, if it wasn't for JV, the pre-Kawhi Raptors would have never won a single playoff series. 

The thing is, JV makes a decent role player, but he's not a great one. When he's at his best is when he's able to be more involved. It means you gameplan to make him a bigger part of your O, and play a pace and defense that minimize his weaknesses.

I think this year he was out of shape because of the longer summer, and the blip with the sore foot in the preseason keeping him off the court. He was in the best shape of his career last year, and it showed. He fit in well in Toronto before Draymond Green broke his hand, and he looked great in Memphis with a bigger role. His efficiency actually went down after the trade, which makes sense with a bump in usage and responsibility. It's early but I'm not sure he'll be able to find that stride this year with him looking a bit out of shape, the current lack of structure in Memphis and a coach who seems uninterested in using him. 

At least in Toronto JV new what to do on offense. In Memphis, under Jenkins, he has no clue what to do on the floor. Dude had some fun last year, after the trade, but in this NBA... Trade him, cause any second round rookie can do what he does now - running around cluelessly.