Memphis Maverick

Adrian WOJ: Big changes coming to NBA

I'd like to see them go down to 65 games but they would never do that because of the lost money. The older I get and the more life gets in the way, it's harder and harder to watch a full season of games. i think it would do wonders for the players health as well. I'm not sure about the in-season tourney stuff but whatever. i'd be fine with it. 

This all makes a lot of sense, especially the play-in tournament to further curb tanking at the end. I also like that the divisions matter in this proposal.

However, I do think that the nba is missing one crucial element and that is a points system. 

The simple way to make the in-season tournament matter is to do away with the simple win-loss model of seeding teams.

So fo example if you win the tournament, you get bonus points added to your total, which would then be used when teams are seeded.

That would make the tournament matter a lot. With a point system you could also play with all sorts of scenarios in a UFC fight of the night type of way. If say a team wins 5 games in a row, bonus points are awarded. If you lose 5 or more games in a row you lose ball combinations in the lottery.

This would be really really fun, and it would be a way for adam silver to further incentivize his will onto the league and teams.

what about a G League tourney?

The winner of that thing gets into the NBA playoffs.

Eh.  All this tourney stuff sounds dumb.

Should teams play for draft picks? 

Better seeding?

Some of these suggestions sound too... SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT for me.  And, not in a GOOD WAY.

Ok, mid-season G League tourney champ gets the 9th seed.  

Then gets a bye for the REAL G League champ which ALSO gets a 9th seed.  3 game playoff at the NBA team's gym.  Or, maybe just 1 sudden death game.

G League Tourney Win team gets $1 million or more split evenly between the players on the roster.

Maybe the G League REAL champ gets twice that or the same amount.  Split between the roster.

Hey, what about the mid-season G League Tourney winner ALSO gets the 10th pick in the NBA draft.

22 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

what about a G League tourney?

The winner of that thing gets into the NBA playoffs.

Eh.  All this tourney stuff sounds dumb.

Should teams play for draft picks? 

Better seeding?

Some of these suggestions sound too... SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT for me.  And, not in a GOOD WAY.

Ok, mid-season G League tourney champ gets the 9th seed.  

Then gets a bye for the REAL G League champ which ALSO gets a 9th seed.  3 game playoff at the NBA team's gym.  Or, maybe just 1 sudden death game.

G League Tourney Win team gets $1 million or more split evenly between the players on the roster.

Maybe the G League REAL champ gets twice that or the same amount.  Split between the roster.

Hey, what about the mid-season G League Tourney winner ALSO gets the 10th pick in the NBA draft.

The nba is already sports entertainment and has been for some time.

The nba hasn't been a pure league since before Michael joined. 

My point is that if you want the tournament to matter you need a points system like the nhl.

Also, what are you railing against anyway? The seedings? That is your big historical can't touch it rule? 

The play-in games are important to keep the lower seeds incentivized and make those games matter. You could of course still tank the game, but it would be a much bigger dilemma to reconcile.

9 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The nba is already sports entertainment and has been for some time.

The nba hasn't been a pure league since before Michael joined. 

My point is that if you want the tournament to matter you need a points system like the nhl.

Also, what are you railing against anyway? The seedings? That is your big historical can't touch it rule? 

The play-in games are important to keep the lower seeds incentivized and make those games matter. You could of course still tank the game, but it would be a much bigger dilemma to reconcile.

78 games sounds great.  Don't think anyone should be able to get to 72 wins (Bulls) or 73 wins (Warriors) -- nor should they try.

"60 wins" should be the standard bearer.

Don't care for the in-season tourney idea.  It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Adding extra playoff games would be cool.  If that means a 9th seed or a 9th AND 10th seed on each side.

If they do this AND get rid of the one and done rule (which they definitely should) maybe they could add more prestige to the G League.  

I wouldn't be opposed to G League mid-season and post season tourney winners being the 9th seed on each side.  1 game sudden death against the 8th seed would be fun.  Maybe you make the "real" first round best of 5 again.

The draft is near perfect.  I like the top 4 being determined by ping-pong balls.  The odds for the bad teams make imminent sense.  Maybe you make it a 3 round draft.  A SERPENTINE DRAFT might be a good way to go, too.  

Not saying there should be a 4 pointer during regular season action, but what about a 4 point shoot-out during the All Star Weekend?

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

This all makes a lot of sense, especially the play-in tournament to further curb tanking at the end. I also like that the divisions matter in this proposal.

However, I do think that the nba is missing one crucial element and that is a points system. 

The simple way to make the in-season tournament matter is to do away with the simple win-loss model of seeding teams.

So fo example if you win the tournament, you get bonus points added to your total, which would then be used when teams are seeded.

That would make the tournament matter a lot. With a point system you could also play with all sorts of scenarios in a UFC fight of the night type of way. If say a team wins 5 games in a row, bonus points are awarded. If you lose 5 or more games in a row you lose ball combinations in the lottery.

This would be really really fun, and it would be a way for adam silver to further incentivize his will onto the league and teams.

These ideas are interesting but are much too radical. Further incentivizing the best teams and penalizing the worst teams is a sure fire way to make the NBA top heavy again and to punish smaller markets.

10 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

78 games sounds great.  Don't think anyone should be able to get to 72 wins (Bulls) or 73 wins (Warriors) -- nor should they try.

"60 wins" should be the standard bearer.

Don't care for the in-season tourney idea.  It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Adding extra playoff games would be cool.  If that means a 9th seed or a 9th AND 10th seed on each side.

If they do this AND get rid of the one and done rule (which they definitely should) maybe they could add more prestige to the G League.  

I wouldn't be opposed to G League mid-season and post season tourney winners being the 9th seed on each side.  1 game sudden death against the 8th seed would be fun.  Maybe you make the "real" first round best of 5 again.

The draft is near perfect.  I like the top 4 being determined by ping-pong balls.  The odds for the bad teams make imminent sense.  Maybe you make it a 3 round draft.  A SERPENTINE DRAFT might be a good way to go, too.  

Not saying there should be a 4 pointer during regular season action, but what about a 4 point shoot-out during the All Star Weekend?

You're actually proposing that a g-league team, a team that has managed to win against g-league teams, should be given the opportunity for an automatic 9th seed and a play in game? Some of these ideas are insane. The main change the league needs to make is top 16 reseeding IMO. The East is so bad and it's really unfair to the battle that is the West. Maybe some day down the road it will be more balanced or power will shift East, but in that scenario the top 16 seeding would still make sense. Yes, there are logistical issues with travel, but it's in the interest of better competition. It would also establish new rivalries.

Just now, srmjr23 said:

Is this a troll post? 

This whole THREAD is a troll thread. Can’t think a mid season tourney that really makes sense.  Are they playing for seeding? Draft picks?  

You could have the best team in each conference play each other during all star weekend to determine home court advantage in the Finals for their respective conference (but they plan on reseeding the whole thing anyway.

Imagine being a 7th/8th seed with 55+ wins and having to play the 9th/10th seed that have 48-50 wins. This has potential to dramatically reduce the weight of regular season wins while simultaneously  increasing variance. Furthermore, lets say you're the 7th seeded team and now you're in a 2 game tournament to make the playoffs, but your best player is injured. That idea seems particularly bad. Just re-seed the playoffs 1-16.

If they want a mid-season tournament, they at least have to have some significant incentive to the winner. Like the winner gets the tiebreaker, regardless of other tie-breaking factors,. against any teams that have identical records for playoff seeding. It's not so much that it changes everything too much, but enough that it may give incentive to have a competitive tournament. 

24 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

These ideas are interesting but are much too radical. Further incentivizing the best teams and penalizing the worst teams is a sure fire way to make the NBA top heavy again and to punish smaller markets.

Well they do it anyway already. The league right now is so boring most of the time especially in the standings.

If we went to a point system similar to rotisserie league, or even the nascar model, which has been playing around with their point system, it would certainly bring back excitment on a daily night.

Think of it as a nascar race, where teams can jump in the standings in the matter of games. It would guarantee that teams would not be taking nights off.

Think of this scenario: say that a team is 3 points behind another team in the standings but they have 4 wins and one more gives them 5 bonus points, and say the next game they play is against the current #1 seed. Wow, you think that game would not be exciting.

Frankly the most boring part of the nba is the standings. I don't see why they WOULDN'T do this. It would make the nba and wins and loses exciting again.

You could even have penalties for losing 3 in a row or something like that.

The standings would be become a season long game and it would not really affect the best teams at all, because the model of winning more games would still be a pathway to the playoffs.

I think they are gonna do Monday Night Mavericks on TNT. Where the Dallas Mavs play some randomly selected team each and every week in prime time.

Similar to the Wednesday Night double header featuring (Zion) Williamson and (James) Wiseman.  

ESPN3 will feature Thursday Night 3 where the teams who took the most 3’s the previous week play each other at 3 in the morning.

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

Oh, the golden age of the ABA is truly upon us.

LOL.  Bring back the red-white-and-blue basketball.

11 minutes ago, pjs said:

Technically there IS an ABA. It has about 50 teams or maybe it is defunct again.  

If the NBA is trying to do a “brand split” then a smaller 2nd league in bigger markets would work.  Then you could still have the G League.  Or just have the ABA as a summer league.  Could even start the New ABA season in July, have an All Star Game on Christmas and to the play in thing during the NBA All Star weekend.

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

. If you lose 5 or more games in a row you lose ball combinations in the lottery.

That would need adjusting. To be fair, we'd somehow need to decide whether the team could reasonably be expected to win one or more of those games.   GSW right now can hardly be accused of tanking. And we are borderline in that regard. 

But if we happened to draw LAL, MIA, BOS, MIL, DEN consecutively --- no way you penalize us for losing those. Should give a bonus for winning any of them! 

How about penalizing middle-level teams who look as if they are trying to slip into the lottery? Teams that could very well lose any given game, but also have a decent shot at winning it.  Even then, you can't penalize them if they have temporarily lost a star; Rockets are 11-5 but if Harden goes down they could easily lose 5 in a row while playing their hardest.  

49 minutes ago, pjs said:

Sure, but what if to get that you also had to allow the short shorts? 

The very person that creates a big board of the nba draft bull durham style wants to burn the nba to the ground over an in-season tournament, lol.

You do realize that one of the reasons that bill Russell got so many rings was due to the era he played in. That the reason scoring is up is due to the rules of the league changing. That the traditional center is gone because of analytics. Lol, the league is not homogeneous from the inception. NBA expansion teams watered the league down.

Rules change and there is nothing wrong with that.