Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies @ Chicago Bulls - 12/4/19

1 hour ago, GameOn said:

A post game message courtesy of the JV Fangirls Club:  Despite not feeling 100%, JV picked up another double double and a team high 32 points. Throw in 13 rebounds/1 assist/3 steals/1 block/70.6 % FG. Yeah, I think he's a keeper.

He does much better when the Grizz play a structured game instead of wide open street ball.

3 minutes ago, GameOn said:

Plus he's not used to playing as a backup C. Plus not getting enough time is hindering him in his adjusting to his new role.

You got that right. they should play him at SF, 3J at PF and JV at C and make other teams try to match up with them for 3 or 4 games.

If a person looked at the stats - Jae Crowder shot 3 of 10  three point attempts.   I don't think that Jae should be our prime 3 point weapon (?), imo.    I don't question his hard play though.

image.png.84ae1a6f937c9c26bdf77ecae09108f9.png

i said it last game that i love tyus, but his size/athleticism/defensive shortcomings have been more glaring since ja has been out.  he got blocked at the rim 2 or 3 times and missed a seemingly easy fastbreak layup as well.  de'anthony w/ grayson is a bigger backcourt (both have +wingspans) and competent enough athletically and defensively (de'anthony held his own quite well in the 4th in a tough matchup against lavine and grayson was locking satoransky up).  both of their offensive games are slowly progressing as well.

5 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

i said it last game that i love tyus, but his size/athleticism/defensive shortcomings have been more glaring since ja has been out.  he got blocked at the rim 2 or 3 times and missed a seemingly easy fastbreak layup as well.  de'anthony w/ grayson is a bigger backcourt (both have +wingspans) and competent enough athletically and defensively (de'anthony held his own quite well in the 4th in a tough matchup against lavine and grayson was locking satoransky up).  both of their offensive games are slowly progressing as well.

Yes, tyus missed some critical layups, but those were not that easy.    If one looks at the starting 5, stat sheet above,  tyus took less attempts which in theory the pg is supposed to get the other 4 involved in the scoring - which the other 4 didn't do for the most part.

1 minute ago, Joey Crawford said:

Yes, tyus missed some critical layups, but those were not that easy.    If one looks at the starting 5, stat sheet above,  tyus took less attempts which in theory the pg is supposed to get the other 4 involved in the scoring - which the other 4 didn't do for the most part.

fair enough.  it was primarily the bench with JV that got the game close enough to almost eek out a win.

1 hour ago, grizz09 said:

fair enough.  it was primarily the bench with JV that got the game close enough to almost eek out a win.

Agreed.   JV was the best of the grizzlies as far as production goes.      What needs to happen is Jae needs to reduce his 3 point attempts.     And Jaren needs to keep practicing 3's in practice (not use the game for practice) so he is not so exposed to committing offensive fouls inside and take the 3's instead of Jae, but still work on his inside game just the same.     Both Jaren and Jae are valuable to the team.

JV was integral in sparking the comeback, his presence down low helped open up some space on the perimeter. It's called inside- out basketball. Jenkins should try that more with both Jaren and JV. We go for the outside only style of basketball pretty often, and it doesn't work. 

5 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Let me clarify I am totally fine with Melton starting.   Honestly after the last few games he should get the nod.     

I just wish we could get a look at Josh with these guys.    Need a real honest competition between the rest of our mediocre wings: Marko, Grayson, and Bruno to determine who gets to stay.     Dillon has at least cemented his spot as a rotation player and proven that he is not a Starter on a good team.    SloMo has also cemented himself as a positive contributor. 

So will it be Ja Jaren Dillon Melton Brandon Tyus Jonas and SloMo for next season?  

I'm totally team #FreeJosh. I think he could end up being a starter because his defense and shooting fits in perfectly with Ja and Jaren. Tyus is here regardless next year, but I don't think he's more than just depth long term. Dillon gets moved to the bench as our 6th man assuming we can find a replacement. Grayson and Marko will have every chance between now and next year to prove they belong. Grayson is at least starting to make some positive contributions. 

10 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

I’m not the one who said anything about it at first. I wasn’t going to post. But since I got “reeled in” I’m just giving commentary. 

It was me lol. I had to

1 hour ago, toocoolkellz said:

It was me lol. I had to

I was waiting for my introduction before I started 😂. Like a guest pastor waiting to be called to the pulpit to preach on Sunday!

8 hours ago, Joey Crawford said:

If you ask me he took 2 that shouldn't have even been attempted and then he underlayed the layup. I think he is feeling pressure from DAMs' play. 

9 hours ago, GameOn said:

I'm a Grizzlies fan. But JV has been my favorite guy since he was drafted #4 overall by the Raptors. Despite the loss, JV did his part tonight.

This board seems like a good place to celebrate ANY Grizzly player's accomplishments. We all have our favorite players but it's still a team sport. I want to see all the guys succeed.

#5 overall

5 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'm totally team #FreeJosh. I think he could end up being a starter because his defense and shooting fits in perfectly with Ja and Jaren. Tyus is here regardless next year, but I don't think he's more than just depth long term. Dillon gets moved to the bench as our 6th man assuming we can find a replacement. Grayson and Marko will have every chance between now and next year to prove they belong. Grayson is at least starting to make some positive contributions. 

Well Marko was for a game then everything blew up on him.

5 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Like i said a while ago.  Marko has had plenty of time to evaluate for now.    It's Grayson and Melton's turn now.    Marko and Tyus may end up being not great signings for the FO.   But there is still time to turn that around.  I just think it doesn't make sense to keep pushing them when we have other young players that need time too. 

Grayson doesn't have the athletic limitations that Marko does and is probably a better ball-handler too.    But He is shorter and not as offensively creative as Marko is.    However, what we are missing is good defenders from the guard spot.   Marko Tyus and Ja have been God-awful and that just gets amplified when Jonas is on the court.    Grayson, Dillon and Melton have more defensive ability so i think the minutes should shift away from those two to them. 

9 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Yeah JV does and I like him but he has GOT to get out farther on the PnR, he did it some last year and they stifled some players but he is letting guys drive into the lane to deep also. I know he isn't the fastest guy on the floor but giving up 3s are killers.

If a guy gives you 31 and 13 along with 3 steals and a block I would be quite ok with some deficiencies. 

if they are really worried about pick and roll with Jonas they need to let Clarke help out when he gets back (which they were doing until he got hurt)

Jonas is showing why he is one of the best bigs in the league. His jump shot is falling, he gets tons of rebounds when given minutes, and his tip ins are amazing.

The same issue we had with Zach other than his attitude “issue” coming in was defense as well. 

Jonas needs to be off anyone’s radar when it comes to a “problem” with a team winning games. Now that’s he’s off of minutes restrictions you are going to see a lot of games like this. 

Memphis needs to keep him and pair with Ja and Jaren. They are beginning to figure that out. 

jaren is getting the ball on the block now too. He has done much better getting position on offense these past 6 games. 

He still needs to learn to move without the ball and get to spots for easy shots in the paint without posting up. Cutting etc. 

While y’all harp on me for talking about Wendell I hope you see the difference in how smart they are without the ball and how different their attitudes are on positioning for rebounds. 

A lot of those putback’s and second chances were on Jaren. Grayson Allen was snatching rebounds from him. 

Wendell also was smart defensively and never bowed himself on attacks in the paint. Keep in mind that both Wendell and Jaren are both foul prone young bigs. 

wendell gets a lot of his fouls running back on a pick and roll. 

jaren gets his on reaching, holding his opponent (Wendell got one like that yesterday), and bending his body over a player on offense. 

IF Jaren can fix these things (he’s got to be engaged th game the ENTIRE time CONSTANTLY THINKING) he will be FINE. 

Jaren puts up numbers when he plays 25+ minutes a game. When he’s not taking stupid shots. He may never be a rebounder and in that case needs to be treated like Porzingod. That’s his best case scenario. 

Maverick - you bring up two good points on Jaren. He bends forward on d which leads to a lot of reach-ins (contrast with Clarke who almost always stays vertical) And he also doesn’t have great rebound positioning  - not sure if this is a function of him still being uncomfortable in his body as a result of growing or poor defensive discipline. Hoping the former!

23 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Like i said a while ago.  Marko has had plenty of time to evaluate for now.    It's Grayson and Melton's turn now.    Marko and Tyus may end up being not great signings for the FO.   But there is still time to turn that around.  I just think it doesn't make sense to keep pushing them when we have other young players that need time too. 

Grayson doesn't have the athletic limitations that Marko does and is probably a better ball-handler too.    But He is shorter and not as offensively creative as Marko is.    However, what we are missing is good defenders from the guard spot.   Marko Tyus and Ja have been God-awful and that just gets amplified when Jonas is on the court.    Grayson, Dillon and Melton have more defensive ability so i think the minutes should shift away from those two to them. 

So are we in agreement that Marco is the most logical player to be sent down to the Hustle? 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yes i am afraid we are. 

Then he is the one player we can be assured won't be sent down! 

On 12/5/2019 at 9:23 AM, Memphis Maverick said:

jaren gets his on reaching, holding his opponent (Wendell got one like that yesterday), and bending his body over a player on offense

a direct result of playing sloppy positional defense 

instead of moving his feet and getting -quickly on his msn- he will do a half hearted swing at the ballas it passes by him.

shane battier was not athletic at all but he was heady. he knew how to beat you to spots on the floor that you are comfortable with.

then when they got frustrated - they always got frustrated- they dip their heads and run at him full speed expecting him to move or reach ...he did neither .

he took evcery charge that had his name on it.

hes gotta learn the game. scouting reports...who his guy is and what he like to do in certain situations and take it away from him- positionally - not swiping at the ball getting fouls called