Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Indiana Pacers @ Memphis Grizzlies -12/2/19

5 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

C'mon Smit you know better than to infer broad-based, all encompassing sweeping statements like this.

Look, I wish it were different, but it ain't. We've been through this with a ton of guys Calathes, Qpon, Jarell, etc etc etc  Calathes was an excellent defender, he just couldn't shoot.

Allen, I had hopes for but until he is more consistent with his shot, no.  It's his second season.  Isn't that what development is for?

Tyus is just straight garbage, and he has never been that good, and as he can be considered "a vet", it's a waste of time "developing" him. The FO struck out on this transaction.  Jones knows how to run a team and passes well, but I did not know how horrid his defense was.  I could put up with his poor scoring if he could play a reasonable level of defense.  So far, his signing is looking like the biggest mistake by the FO.

Hill is over the hill regardless of how he is playing. He won't be here next year.   ?!? Absolutely ridiculous statement.  The guy is just entering his prime.  He is 28.  I don't expect him to be here next season either, but as a vet minimum type player he would be alright to have on your bench.  I think he will be in the league next season.

Guduric is straight garbage on BOTH sides of the ball. There's just too many guys out there in the lower ranks to waste time on him e.g. I said just before the draft we should look at Terrence Davis from Ole Miss. Look at him now. There's a ton of guys out there like him..  Marko is not a shooter like everyone was expecting obviously, but he knows how to play basketball, and if he ever gets comfortable playing against NBA level talent I think his offense will come around.  His defense is what worries me most, and I suspect he will always struggle with man-to-man coverage because he lacks the athleticism for it.

Bruno is so rusty now he'll need welding to get that rust off. But he may still be useful at some point, MAYBE.......  He's definitely not a 5, except in a strictly small ball scenario.

While I don't have Dillon and Kyle in this category ^^ they are vet enough that what you see is what you get - middle of the bench role players.   I can agree with that for Kyle.  Dillon is just lacking consistency from game to game.  He's one of our best three-point shooters, he brings defensive effort and toughness every game, and he's starting to make plays for others in the pick and roll.  This is essentially Dillon's second season.  Like Kyle, I don't expect huge improvements from him because of his age and experience, but an improvement in consistency will make him a solid player.

Iguadiva is taking up a roster space until we move him

Yuta, Konchar they are not up to it, and I am sorry to say this but IIWII.

I wish I was 100% wrong about all this, but I don't think it'll work out that way.

In the medium and long term, we need to win, not be a training development center.  We are not in "win now" mode.  This is just you being an impatient fan.

You don't want to give any of our new guys a chance, yet you're still hung up on Bruno, who has had the most opportunity.

9 hours ago, lions said:

just woke up miss the game , saw box score . what going on with J.V thats the second straight game he missed 

He's still sick. He wasn't on the bench last night so I assume his illness is more than what some posters have suggested. 

10 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

And before this thread devolves into a Jaren vs JV argument, if we didn't have so many scrubs who cant be relied upon, we wouldn't need to debate all this. We basically have 5-6 who are NBA standard (Ja, JV, Jaren, Brandon, Crowder - Anderson & Dillon are middle of the bench at best), the rest suck. When you have 8-9 out of 15 on the roster who suck, then your team will suck also. No matter how good the others are.

Trae can score 50ppg but his team keep losing for the same reason.

A big cleanout is needed

5- 6 NBA talent players? I don't know if I can go with that. I see Ja Morant, Dillon Brooks, Jaren Jackson, Brandon Clarke, Kyle Anderson, Jae Crowder and Jonas Valanciunas as all top half NBA players. Solomon Hill and De'Anthony Melton are clearly deserving a roster spot. Marco has shown talent but as a rookie is being thrust into too large a role. Most rookies don't get thrust into the game this quickly and I believe he would benefit from some D League action and more watching and practicing and less actual game time personally. 

That's 10 players that can grow into a pretty solid core in a few years. Not one player is in his 30s yet on that list. Grayson Allen and Tyus Jones are deep bench players but every team has those type of players and Melton looks ready to pass Jones on the depth chart pretty soon. I don't have a problem building off this group of young players. 

The reality is this team was terrible heading into the season. They are a dynamic wing player away from respectability however. They are two court spreading wings away from competing for the playoffs. It may take a few years to get there but only Jonas, HIll and Crowder are going to be in their 30's in three years. I doubt Hill and Crowder will survive with the club this season either. 

The team is rebuilding thru the draft and it will take some time but there is a solid young core already in place. The team just needs some dynamic wing scorers either in the draft or via a trade. 

8 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Maybe I have a case of the scrub love here, but although his offensive game needs work I really like what D'Anthony brings to the table.  He kind of reminds me of Marcus Smart or Patrick Beverly a bit... sort of rough on offense but a swiss army knife type who is a scrappy fighter on defense.  I think guys like him are perfect to have on your bench to sort of disrupt the other team's flow if need be.

Here is a quote from scouting reports about him.  https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/5/22/17376996/2018-nba-draft-scouting-report-deanthony-melton-usc-trojans-atlanta-hawks

Melton is a 6’3 guard with a wingspan in the range of 6-8. In his one college season for the Trojans, Melton developed the reputation of an extremely physical guard who could do everything on both ends of the floor except consistently make shots.

During his freshman year, Melton average 8.3 points, 4.7 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.9 steals and 1.0 blocks per game. There is no doubt that he is a stat sheet filler. But the one skill that so often becomes the litmus test, especially for guards, is shooting.

Aside from his shooting challenges, Melton can do most of the things you would want from a 6’3 player on the offensive end. He handles the ball well with a repertoire of moves that one would need as a secondary ball handler or point guard working off the bench. Additionally, he is very strong with the ball as he is able to translate his strength and physicality into the ball handling aspects of his game.

Melton can play a traditional point guard role. He is adequate running the pick and roll and he does have the vision and passing skills to find open players and create scoring opportunities for his teammates. But, unless his shooting improves tremendously, it would be difficult to envision Melton running a first unit at the NBA level.

Melton perhaps profile as a player who could play the one in an NBA offense that runs more offense origination through wings or bigs. He could play a Terry Rozier-like role in an offense that runs through its bigs, as the Celtics do through Al Horford. Or, he could play a Patrick Beverley type of role when he thrived as an elite defender playing along side James Harden in Houston

Don't fret this is no scrub love - your eyes do not deceive you.   Melton is a good prospect to keep.   I think he would make a great second unit pairing with SloMo who is the much superior passer.     Defensively those two would terrorize bench units. 

8 minutes ago, Joey Crawford said:

oops, I guess I was wrong.

wait... whuh ?

6 minutes ago, Joey Crawford said:

upon review by the booth 10SC-2-TOKYO , it appears I made a bad call on Mr. Rodman (and type), playing for the Spurs.  😁

IMPOSTER !!!

the REAL Joey Crawford NEVER ever ever EVER made a bad call ! 

🤣💫💨

30 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

wait... whuh ?

IMPOSTER !!!

the REAL Joey Crawford NEVER ever ever EVER made a bad call ! 

🤣💫💨

Never made a bad call.....that's on Technicals.   Especially with that Tim Duncan guy.

image.png.85a0082ad391f82013e92decc833b0f3.png

Melton looks like he could be a keeper. He's an excellent rebounder as a point guard. Defensively he's also good, a big upgrade over either of the other two. Offensively, he's probably better then tyus at this point as well. 

We lost this game because of Tyus and Crowder. 2-15 for 5 points combined. You can't get that from two starters and hope to win. Bench played at least decently.

allen didn't shoot much, but his defense is far exceeding what it was in utah.  he is (somewhat surprising to me) playing above average in man to man and team/help D.  hopefully his offense continues to slowly come around.  i love tyus and his game will come around, but an allen/melton bench backcourt has looked pretty good the last couple games on both sides of the ball.  much better size/length and athleticism with the 2 of them than when tyus is in.  and both looking like playmakers/shot creators with the ball in their hands.

5 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

We lost this game because of Tyus and Crowder. 2-15 for 5 points combined. You can't get that from two starters and hope to win. Bench played at least decently.

And other than Iggy, those look like the 2 guys I would want to trade.  Maybe a package deal, but I can't see us getting much of a return (if any) if they keep performing at this rate.

Next on the list would be Grayson Allen.  

Too early to tell with Marko but the early returns don't look good.  Maybe he should spend some time in the G League.  I think it would help.  His issue might be confidence.  

If the Mavs don't want Iggy (or at least at our price) then maybe they would want Jae/Tyus/Grayson.

3 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

And other than Iggy, those look like the 2 guys I would want to trade.  Maybe a package deal, but I can't see us getting much of a return (if any) if they keep performing at this rate.

Too early to tell with Marko but the early returns don't look good.  Maybe he should spend some time in the G League.  I think it would help.  His issue might be confidence.  

If the Mavs don't want Iggy (or at least at our price) then maybe they would want Jae/Tyus/Grayson.

how is it too early to tell w/ marko but you're ready to drop allen who's barely played/done any developing and is clearly a better athlete/defender?

49 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Mavs already got Brunson and Delon (plus luka runs point). I doubt they'd want Tyus.