bhoyal

OK, I DVR'd the GSW game but didn't bother to play it back

After seeing the final score, I decided to not even play it back.  

So, the GSW were 2-12.  Curry is out.  Thompson is out.  Durant left.  How did the Grizz get blown out at home by the remnants of the what used to be the Warriors?

Even in a possible tank year, aren't the Grizz supposed to be better than that?  Anybody want to give a reader's digest short summary of what went so wrong?

Bonus question:  the head coach is the chief cook and bottle washer of any sports team and does the buck stop at his desk or not.  And why.

6 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

So, the GSW were 2-12.  Curry is out.  Thompson is out.  Durant left.  How did the Grizz get blown out at home by the remnants of the what used to be the Warriors?

Even in a possible tank year, aren't the Grizz supposed to be better than that?  Anybody want to give a reader's digest short summary of what went so wrong?

Bonus question:  the head coach is the chief cook and bottle washer of any sports team and does the buck stop at his desk or not.  And why.

Pretty much everyone sucked:

Ja wasn't on. 

Brandon shot below 50%.

JV has stone hands and gets stripped every time he dribbles.

Jaren fouled out.

Tyus was off.

Etc etc.

Games like this happen. The Nets lost to the Pacers by 29 points Monday night. It seems worse when it happens to the team we follow but it isn't unique. 

In many ways this was a positive outcome for the Grizzlies. They subtracted a game from the Warriors lead in the race for the #1 lottery position instead of adding a game. 

Remember that, under the new lottery rules, the bottom three teams all have about the same chance in the lottery. You have to drop below the bottom six to start feeling a noticeable difference in the odds. 

18 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Games like this happen. The Nets lost to the Pacers by 29 points Monday night. It seems worse when it happens to the team we follow but it isn't unique. 

In many ways this was a positive outcome for the Grizzlies. They subtracted a game from the Warriors lead in the race for the #1 lottery position instead of adding a game. 

Remember that, under the new lottery rules, the bottom three teams all have about the same chance in the lottery. You have to drop below the bottom six to start feeling a noticeable difference in the odds. 

Would you rather finish in the bottom 6 and keep the pick or convey this year? 

20 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Had to take a look at these again to remind myself: http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

It's wild how 1-5 are basically the same, then 6-9 are basically the same. If you're worst record, you have 14.0% chance of 1st pick and 52.0% chance of a top 4 pick. If you're 5th worst record, you have a 12.3% chance of 1st pick and 47.3% chance of a top 4 pick. 

43 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Had to take a look at these again to remind myself: http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

It's wild how 1-5 are basically the same, then 6-9 are basically the same. If you're worst record, you have 14.0% chance of 1st pick and 52.0% chance of a top 4 pick. If you're 5th worst record, you have a 12.3% chance of 1st pick and 47.3% chance of a top 4 pick. 

It's interesting.  

Do you think we care about giving up a pick in the 8-10 range?  Maybe we stay right around there and either move into the top 4 or Convey.  

Wiseman looks like the real deal and has a solid projection as a dunker/rebounder/shot blocker who can run the floor.

Do you convey a mediocre lottery pick in order to KEEP the 2021 pick?  Does a pick at 15 or 16 in 2021 equal an 8-10 pick this year?  Maybe.  BUT you also have a shot at a top 4 pick in 2021 if you win more games but STILL MISS THE PLAYOFFS.  A scenario which would not happen if we keep a top 6 pick.

WISEMAN/CONVEY/TRADE DOWN look like the top 3 options in order of importance unless this draft has 7 or 8 Tier 1 prospects.  If not, maybe we are comparing Tier 2/2.5 prospects this year to next year's crop of Tier 2/Tier 2.5 prospects.

28 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

It's interesting.  

Do you think we care about giving up a pick in the 8-10 range?  Maybe we stay right around there and either move into the top 4 or Convey.  

Wiseman looks like the real deal and has a solid projection as a dunker/rebounder/shot blocker who can run the floor.

Do you convey a mediocre lottery pick in order to KEEP the 2021 pick?  Does a pick at 15 or 16 in 2021 equal an 8-10 pick this year?  Maybe.  BUT you also have a shot at a top 4 pick in 2021 if you win more games but STILL MISS THE PLAYOFFS.  A scenario which would not happen if we keep a top 6 pick.

WISEMAN/CONVEY/TRADE DOWN look like the top 3 options in order of importance unless this draft has 7 or 8 Tier 1 prospects.  If not, maybe we are comparing Tier 2/2.5 prospects this year to next year's crop of Tier 2/Tier 2.5 prospects.

I think keeping the pick this year is crucial. Don't want to get into speculation of this draft vs. next - I just want a young guy to pair up with our existing core before we really start trying to compete/make playoffs starting next season.

Lock in the base this offseason, then build around that base for the next few years as we go for "long term, sustainable success."

17 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

If you did not have Luka as a number 1 pick by a lot (i did by a million)....you know NOTHING...and your opinion about prospects ....is a lot to be desired.

I didn't see the scoring potential for Luka.  I thought he was more of a 16-18 points per night scorer, which would change things.

Even if I DID have him at 1 I still wouldn't have had him as all-world as a second year NBAer.

Good for you for getting the pick right -- you should take a ton of credit for it.

It's funny, I had him WAAY low (9 I think) but I STILL had him over Trae and Bagley.  

I should have shifted all the bigs lower.... Also thought Mikal Bridges would be better.  Did he REGRESS?  Although I wouldn't mind trading for Mikal Bridges on the cheap.  He could be a GREAT fit for us.

So you had Luka at 1, how did the rest of your big board go?  Would also like to see who you had in the 2019 draft.  I had Ja one -- did anyone else?  I thought he was a NO BRAINER top pick and the first NO BRAINER top pick since about Kevin Durant (who ALSO went number 2).  

I would also like to hear your thoughts on the 2020 draft.  I really, really, really hope there is a Luka Doncic type player in this thing!  

I went with Mitch Rob in 2018 (looks like he has ALSO regressed) and Ja Morant at 2019, so maybe I will be the one guy out there to really mix it up -- or I could fool everybody by just leaving James Wiseman there all year.

1 minute ago, Mempgrizz303 said:

Would you rather finish in the bottom 6 and keep the pick or convey this year? 

I have been consistently saying I would prefer to be in the draft this year with a top 6 pick and hasten the turnaround to respectability. 

The L was good but the effort was not :/.

This team has 0 motivation to go and play real ball .

Ls=Good help the tank

No effort/passion =really bad it sets up a bad culture for the future.

22 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I have been consistently saying I would prefer to be in the draft this year with a top 6 pick and hasten the turnaround to respectability. 

You've definitely been consistent.

Would you "load manage" guys to try to lose some games here and there?

I think this town really likes draft season, and a bad team going into a year with no pick is gonna disappoint a lot of people -- especially draft aficionados.  

If we pick the guy We/The Fans/The FO/Scouts/Owner/Coach wants then we should be in good shape.  Don't want the Internet Draft Community making our pick for us.

Some teams will have GREAT drafts in 2020.  Some teams will have GREAT drafts in 2021.  The usual suspects WON'T.  The majority of teams will make mediocre picks.  That might be the only draft prediction I would put money on.

5 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

2019 draft gem #18 Goga Bitadze by Indiana Pacers, 20y old is already better than Myles Turner and at C going to be better than Sabonis (who is a monster and ASG candidate)....Goga is going to be amazing...

Just by what criteria are you basing this determination of his prowess?  Brandon Clarke has out performed him both on a per game as well as per minute basis in nearly every statistical category except blocked shots, and Goga has only one more block, though in less minutes played.  You're already proclaiming him better than last season's block leader (Turner) as well as a leading candidate for last season's Sixth Man of the Year award (Sabonis)?

On 11/20/2019 at 3:15 PM, bhoyal said:

as what Coach K  would say, play it back and  NEVER  F------ forget it 

On 11/21/2019 at 5:40 PM, chipc3 said:

your 100 percent right, I would not want to lose a top 6 draft pick . get a top 6 pick win around 38-41 games then give up that next year pick that should be around18-20

17 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

You've definitely been consistent.

Would you "load manage" guys to try to lose some games here and there?

I think this town really likes draft season, and a bad team going into a year with no pick is gonna disappoint a lot of people -- especially draft aficionados.  

If we pick the guy We/The Fans/The FO/Scouts/Owner/Coach wants then we should be in good shape.  Don't want the Internet Draft Community making our pick for us.

Some teams will have GREAT drafts in 2020.  Some teams will have GREAT drafts in 2021.  The usual suspects WON'T.  The majority of teams will make mediocre picks.  That might be the only draft prediction I would put money on.

I don’t know if I’d use the term “load manage” but I would not be surprised to see young players being given lots of opportunities in differing lineups. 😉