Sign in to follow this  
BnaBreaker

It took Ja Morant...

... twelve games to compile four performances with at least 20 points and 5 assists.  It took Mike Conley 124 games.  The torch has most definitely been passed, and Ja Morant took it and set the whole world on fire.  This kid is un-freakin-real.  

6 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

... twelve games to compile four performances with at least 20 points and 5 assists.  It took Mike Conley 124 games.  The torch has most definitely been passed, and Ja Morant took it and set the whole world on fire.  This kid is un-freakin-real.  

It took ja morant just ___ to get the grizzlies to the wcf, oh right, he is still on an under 500 team.

Good grief. Ja is very talented, but again, look at the league. Right now the nba doesnt care about defense, like when mike played.

Ja is taking 15.4 shots a game, Mike only cared to do that once in his entire career.

Basing your evaluation of Ja and Mike is ridiculous because of what I outlined. Mikes brilliance is things you can't always represent in a stat.

So please can we stop with the I-told-you mike vs ja routine.

Ja is super talented but he isn't Mike and never will be Mike. But he is a **** good player. Real pgs have validated mikes style: as when Sam Cassell took john wall to see mike play and try to learn from him.

15 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

It took ja morant just ___ to get the grizzlies to the wcf, oh right, he is still on an under 500 team.

Good grief. Ja is very talented, but again, look at the league. Right now the nba doesnt care about defense, like when mike played.

Ja is taking 15.4 shots a game, Mike only cared to do that once in his entire career.

Basing your evaluation of Ja and Mike is ridiculous because of what I outlined. Mikes brilliance is things you can't always represent in a stat.

Ja is super talented but he isn't Mike and never will be Mike. But he is a **** good player. Real pgs have validated mikes style: as when Sam Cassell took john wall to see mike play and try to learn from him.

your right mike is a good player but ja has the ability to become a SUPER STAR , some thing the Memphis grizzlies never HAD  

29 minutes ago, lions said:

your right mike is a good player but ja has the ability to become a SUPER STAR , some thing the Memphis grizzlies never HAD  

And you are basing this of course on points and flash, right? 

Again Ja is a great young player, but stop conflating the way he goes about his business with the way Mike goes about his.

You want to know something, this reminds me of the Tony Allen criticism.

Everyone seemed to hate that tony allen "gamebled" on defense. I don't see much difference in the way tony gambled and the way ja attacks the offensive end.

Why do you count ja's offensive flashiness as a superstar when you thought tony's same flash on defense was an Achilles heel.

Again, mike is never going to be as flashy or energetic as ja, good grief mike has played 13 hard years in a grind it down defense style defense. Mike, and to some extent Marc, are a product of a grizzlies culture that it is hard to get out of, which was to play 48 minutes of hell on defense. Ja and Jaren are just out there having fun and I love it, but respect that mikes way got results.

look. I don’t know why (kbm) you’re on a mission to save mike’s honor or something. I haven’t read anyone on here stepping on mike’s back to lift ja up. 

the point is this- folks, including me, are excited about what this kid is doing. also, your non-defense argument holds little to no water. utah is very much a defensive minded team with the best defensive anchor in the league down low- rudy had 5 blocks btw. ja sliced and attacked all night.

if you don’t want to love on ja- that’s your choice, but don’t come here trying to tell us what we are seeing isn’t real.  sit back and enjoy the ride. 

slim.

3 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

look. I don’t know why (kbm) you’re on a mission to save mike’s honor or something. I haven’t read anyone on here stepping on mike’s back to lift ja up. 

the point is this- folks, including me, are excited about what this kid is doing. also, your non-defense argument holds little to no water. utah is very much a defensive minded team with the best defensive anchor in the league down low- rudy had 5 blocks btw. ja sliced and attacked all night.

if you don’t want to love on ja- that’s your choice, but don’t come here trying to tell us what we are seeing isn’t real.  sit back and enjoy the ride. 

slim.

Can utah hand check? Thats my point and this threads topic included mike Conley so why should i not explain my opinion about the topic. Im not going out of my way to save mikes name, but many people seem to want to tell us why ja is better than mike. Why can't ja be ja and mike be mike.

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Good god simmer down ya freakin weirdo.  Can you just let people be excited about Ja?  This very obviously was not a knock on Mike.  I would give that man the shirt off my back.  

15 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

slim.

Amen.

It took OJ Mayo only 10 games to have 6 games of 20 points or more.

He really was a potential superstar, 2nd in the ROY voting to the #1 pick who was an explosive MVP-level athlete that has dealt with knee problems his whole career. 

In the summer of 2016, Conley got a big contract and Mayo was out of the league.

Ja has the potential to have an outstanding career, and I hope he makes all the right choices, develops an outside shot and doesn't have to deal with injuries.  I hope he is All NBA multiple times.  I hope he, JJJ, and Clarke form an identity that Memphis fans can cheer for for years.

But I also hope the Grizzlies can retain him for 3 contracts and he doesn't head to LA or wherever the team of the month is at the time.  I hope he stays healthy and continues to develop his game. I hope he becomes the Memphis Grizzlies Tim Duncan, the beloved superstar that sticks around and wins titles with the team for his career, and not Anthony Davis or Derrick Rose or OJ Mayo.

But mostly, I hope he has the character and work ethic of Mike Conley.  If so, we are set as a franchise.

18 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Good god simmer down ya freakin weirdo.  Can you just let people be excited about Ja?  This very obviously was not a knock on Mike.  I would give that man the shirt off my back.  

I think when you start posting comparisons, you can say it's not a knock, but in a backhanded way it is and you should expect some responses.

I hate getting political, but if I wrote:

Donald Trump has unemployment at 3.7% (the lowest in 50 years), but Obama couldn't ever get it at 4.7%.

And the median household income and stock market under Trump is easily greater than anything Obama ever did.

(Both true, but both cherry picked facts)

And then it is easily predictable that someone would come on here and either knock Trump's numbers or build up Obama's economy, and then it would get personal.

And then I could write, "Can you just let people get excited about the economy right now? This very obviously was not a knock on Obama"

When you start writing that Lebron did something that Kobe never did, if you can't see that as a comparison or dis then I don't know what to tell you.

2 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I think when you start posting comparisons, you can say it's not a knock, but in a backhanded way it is and you should expect some responses.

Donald Trump has unemployment at 3.7% (the lowest in 50 years), but Obama couldn't ever get it at 4.7%.

And the median household income and stock market under Trump is easily greater than anything Obama ever did.

And then it is easily predictable that someone would come on here and either knock Trump's numbers or build up Obama's economy, and then it would get personal.

And then I could write, "Can you just let people get excited about the economy right now? This very obviously was not a knock on Obama"

When you start writing that Lebron did something that Kobe never did, if you can't see that as a comparison or dis then I don't know what to tell you.

I have nothing to add to this.  You're absolutely right.

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

KBM, look at what MC did last night, he laid an egg. He was the reason the Jazz got beat.

The best thing about ja is that you just want to see more of him. The kid is electric on the court similar to james harden, or Steph or trae young.

The other good thing is that the grizzlies went all defense, so not only do they have a great player in Ja but they have a defensive team as well, which makes the grizzlies super dangerous.

I cant think of a player for the Grizz who is more fun to watch that Ja has been.  Even when he makes rook mistakes, it is still must watch because you never know when he is going to do something ridiculous.  This is what makes a league-wide star.

9 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

And you are basing this of course on points and flash, right? 

Again Ja is a great young player, but stop conflating the way he goes about his business with the way Mike goes about his.

You want to know something, this reminds me of the Tony Allen criticism.

Everyone seemed to hate that tony allen "gamebled" on defense. I don't see much difference in the way tony gambled and the way ja attacks the offensive end.

Why do you count ja's offensive flashiness as a superstar when you thought tony's same flash on defense was an Achilles heel.

Again, mike is never going to be as flashy or energetic as ja, good grief mike has played 13 hard years in a grind it down defense style defense. Mike, and to some extent Marc, are a product of a grizzlies culture that it is hard to get out of, which was to play 48 minutes of hell on defense. Ja and Jaren are just out there having fun and I love it, but respect that mikes way got results.

I respect mike very much ,he was the Start of The Grizzlies  7 STRAIGHT  years of play-off . the only thing i.m saying  is I believe ja morant will be the one who gets E.S.P.N  to start showing Grizzlies games 

7 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I agree 100 percent with you about Donald Trump 2020

On 11/16/2019 at 3:19 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

How dare you sir? Obama was the best president USA ever had....Trump is a slimeball, ugly and disgusting traitor. Numbers do not matter. You can't compare Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader by numbers. Obama is light and Trump is darkness. I can not understand how someone still  supporting that ugly orange face. 

Mike was Luke Skywalker for the Grizz. Ja ....could be as well....or he leaves for LA and becomes Darth Vader...

On 11/16/2019 at 8:33 AM, memphis slim said:

slim.

Image result for cheers gif

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

I agree as well and hope Donald Trump spends 2020 in jail.

We talked about these types of posts... remember?

reel it in dial it down whatever - cut it out

On 11/16/2019 at 4:54 PM, lions said:

I agree 100 percent with you about Donald Trump 2020

You too... NBA GRIZZ BOARD

the internet has several political posting boards... this is not one of them

8 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

We talked about these types of posts... remember?

reel it in dial it down whatever - cut it out

my bad...it's when people start posting about Trump...i am just unable not to respond...will try my best to ignore it...but it's very hard for me....it's like an recovering alcoholic seeing glass full of bourbon on ice...it's really hard not to drink it... 

On another side note about Ja, he really needs to be taught how to fight through picks better. That’s my biggest gripe about him. He definitely has the first step speed to get between the pick and his man, he just doesn’t have the instinct for it yet. Going under it really isn’t an option in the NBA, especially with today’s game and the pull up that will almost always happen.

The 2nd issue with this is, he’s so light and gets picked off so completely that his man has always got a shot straight into our bigs, this a lot of unnecessary fouls they don’t need to pick up, or and easy floater, open kick out due to others having to collapse in, or good finish for the other team at the basket.

All this starts with Ja not taking that first step quicker towards that pick and being picked off so cleanly and effectively.

His issue is he tries to fight through these picks with his shoulder and not his arm first. Good defensive players use their hands out and arms up to create initial space between the picker and the cutter and follow through that space with their body. Ja doesn’t do this, he tries the lowering of the shoulder to get through and because he’s so light, he usually bounces off and is rendered completely off balance and ineffective.

Watch for it, you’ll see it over and over again. 
Thata what made TA so good at getting through screens. He actually had the strength to move his man off the screen and stay in front of a good deal of the time.