PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

When we think Brandon Clark...We should think DannyGreen/Klaythompson

as you guys know i like to think a little out of the box...well lets be honest i LOVE thinking ALOT out of the box...but as long as Clark continues to to improve his shooting he should be looked at being shaped in the mold of dannygreen or klaythompson...i know some with say his handles aren't good enough to play SG...but neither danny/klay even dribbble the ball and have both been starting SG on multi championship teams...the versatility of a Ja/Clark backcourt is a scary thought...anyways whats you guys opinion.

A shooting guard? Stretching it.  Clarke, though, looks like the prototype small forward of the future.  Just enough Kawhi/Pippen flashes to go along with a typical Shawn Marion-small ball 4 archetype (although Marion also played some 3).  Shane Battier played the 3 at times (especially in Memphis) and Battier was only taller/longer with every other key stat going in Clarke's direction.

What I DO want in the draft is a high efficiency/advanced stats monster to pair with Clarke on the wing (with Dillon/Marko being in the wing rotation, too, but maybe better off the bench).  A Danny Green style shooting guard would be GREAT.  ... I don't think Clarke offers enough play making and doesn't look like a high  volume 3 point shooter, which is why I want a Danny Green type 2 guard in our wing rotation (Danny Green even played a bunch of point guard at UNC).  Primary shooting/secondary scoring/primary defense/secondary play making at the 2 would be AWESOME for us.  I would draft a hypothetical player like this as high as 3 or 4.

If we move Jaren to the 5 and Clarke to the 4, then yeah we would be looking for an advanced stats/high efficiency 3 and keep Dillon Brooks as our power 2 guard (similar to Nick Anderson).

Luckily, there should be a few "sleeper" Moneyball wing type players in this draft.  Just gotta do a ton of homework.  All the HIGH USAGE guys get the press and the buzz....

I think an IDEAL team now is a deluxe lead guard (we have Ja), 2 super efficient wings (Clarke could be our future starting small forward), and a TWIN TOWERS lineup inside (Jonas near term, Jaren near/long term).  If we get the top pick, then I would go with Wiseman to pair him with Jaren long-term.  Then you can move Clarke to the 3 and bring Jonas/Bruno off the bench.  With a 2nd rounder I would go with a 2-way wing player OR maybe a backup point guard who can shoot the 3 (Markus Howard?).  

If we keep our pick and its not Wiseman I think I would trade down and go after some wing players.  With a second round pick I would go with a rim-runner/shot blocker.

53 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

as you guys know i like to think a little out of the box...well lets be honest i LOVE thinking ALOT out of the box...but as long as Clark continues to to improve his shooting he should be looked at being shaped in the mold of dannygreen or klaythompson...i know some with say his handles aren't good enough to play SG...but neither danny/klay even dribbble the ball and have both been starting SG on multi championship teams...the versatility of a Ja/Clark backcourt is a scary thought...anyways whats you guys opinion.

I think we have enough good players to innovate.

How do you view Jaren?  I like him as a 4.  But, he can really score both inside and out when he gets it going.  Not sure he is AS valuable as a 3 and D utility player.  

Do you think Jaren can play some small forward?

Are you saying use BC on offense as a spot up shooter? Like run off ball screens to get him open and all that? If so then that’s ludicrous, his offensive game is about as far opposite of Klay as a non center can be. 
his bread and butter is lobs, floaters in the lane and cleaning up the glass and put backs. He’s 5-12 so far on set shots. It’s a great sign but he will never be a dead eye from out there. Good news is he doesn’t have to be. As long as he can be a threat where they don’t sag completely off he is going to be good offensively. Not great but good while being elite defensively. 

7 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I think we have enough good players to innovate.

How do you view Jaren?  I like him as a 4.  But, he can really score both inside and out when he gets it going.  Not sure he is AS valuable as a 3 and D utility player.  

Do you think Jaren can play some small forward?

unfortunately he will end up being a 5 because of the other talent on the team...but he'll be alright as long as the coaching staff doesn't play him like a center...imo jaren is not a big even through he is big...him increasing his guard skills is whats going to make him special..not just being a 3d big.

3 hours ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Are you saying use BC on offense as a spot up shooter? Like run off ball screens to get him open and all that? If so then that’s ludicrous, his offensive game is about as far opposite of Klay as a non center can be. 
his bread and butter is lobs, floaters in the lane and cleaning up the glass and put backs. He’s 5-12 so far on set shots. It’s a great sign but he will never be a dead eye from out there. Good news is he doesn’t have to be. As long as he can be a threat where they don’t sag completely off he is going to be good offensively. Not great but good while being elite defensively. 

if he adds a consistent three he will be a better all around player than both green/thompson...and yes being a spot up shooter right now would be a good role for him...in a pick the defense will not know if he is a log target or 3pt threat...and he can still crash the glass maybe even better with the head of steam he will have coming from the 3pt line...plus once he gets know as a reliable shooter he can attack close out and get to his floater or he has enough bounce to get to the rim by either layup/dunk

3 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

stop what?

I may be off here but I think he is showing a less than complete agreement with the basic premise of your thread and he is declaring a desire for you to refrain from expressing it.

56 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I may be off here but I think he is showing a less than complete agreement with the basic premise of your thread and he is declaring a desire for you to refrain from expressing it.

slim im not slow 😒😜

Don't go that far already hahaha

I love Brandon's game, but he is not a SG.  I think it's a stretch to put him at SF, although that idea intrigues me.

And to say he'll be better than Klay & Draymond is unrealistic.  

I think I see where you're going here because if you paired Klay with Ja, that would be the best backcourt in the NBA in my opinion.

And as much as I hate Draymond, he is a damned good player and makes everyone around him better.  He doesn't have Brandon's athleticism, but he has long arms and is good at getting under his opponent's skin.  Brandon doesn't have the ******* Gene, whereas Draymond has it in spades.

I mean why would you take a 23 year old interior player who didnt really shoot that many threes in college and ask him to emulate one of the greatest shooters to ever play? You do know that Klay has probably been running around since he was 11 years old on basketball courts firing up all kinds of crazy jumpers? He has performed god knows how many hours of drills in order to be able to shoot so consistently like that? Some thoughts are just better kept in your head.

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

I mean why would you take a 23 year old interior player who didnt really shoot that many threes in college and ask him to emulate one of the greatest shooters to ever play? You do know that Klay has probably been running around since he was 11 years old on basketball courts firing up all kinds of crazy jumpers? He has performed god knows how many hours of drills in order to be able to shoot so consistently like that? Some thoughts are just better kept in your head.

It works in 2K

10 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

I love Brandon's game, but he is not a SG.  I think it's a stretch to put him at SF, although that idea intrigues me.

I think I see where you're going here because if you paired Klay with Ja, that would be the best backcourt in the NBA in my opinion.

And as much as I hate Draymond, he is a damned good player and makes everyone around him better.  He doesn't have Brandon's athleticism, but he has long arms and is good at getting under his opponent's skin.  Brandon doesn't have the ******* Gene, whereas Draymond has it in spades.

5 hours ago, Dwash said:

actually guys i was looking more at the defensive end and the uber athletic backcourt that JA/Clark would make...danny/klay are most likely the best 3D player to ever play the game (and can't even dribble)...thats what i want from clark...just make open threes and defend the opposing team best guard (pg/sg let slowmo handle the sf/pf)...all the other stuff is gravy on top and one reason why i think clark could be a better ALL AROUND player than both (may never be as good of a shooter tho)...plus he would be a match nightmare because what 2guard is going to keep him off the glass and from his floaters

1 hour ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

actually guys i was looking more at the defensive end and the uber athletic backcourt that JA/Clark would make...danny/klay are most likely the best 3D player to ever play the game (and can't even dribble)...thats what i want from clark...just make open threes and defend the opposing team best guard (pg/sg let slowmo handle the sf/pf)...all the other stuff is gravy on top and one reason why i think clark could be a better ALL AROUND player than both (may never be as good of a shooter tho)...plus he would be a match nightmare because what 2guard is going to keep him off the glass and from his floaters

Who can't dribble?  Klay most certainly can.

11 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to playing Clarke at the three, at least as an experiment.  He could probably guard opposing threes.  On offense he and Jaren might be able to switch roles, with Jaren more on the perimeter able to put the ball on the floor and drive, or shoot outside.  Conversely, Brandon could make quick cuts inside or finish lob plays, or use that floater.  He can hit that foul line jumper too, but him being reasonably able to hit the three could still allow for Jaren to do some post ups.  It might work better with Bruno as the other big since he can shoot the three some.  Just for fun I would like to see a lineup of Ja, Dillon, Brandon, Jaren, and Bruno get some time together.  A good mix of guys with some defensive ability, length, shooting, shot creation, athleticism.  I would like to see it tried a bit anyway, just to see how it works.  That lineup would be short on experience though.

Our team could use a Danny Green type at the 2 (Clarke is more of a 3 or a 4 on offense but could guard 1-4).  A low/moderate usage 2 guard with high efficiency would be ideal given our current youthful rotation (our rotation is pretty deep anyway).  

Yeah, the Warriors won their first title with a Klay/Harrison Barnes/Iggy wing rotation.  The updated Klay/Durant/Iggy wing rotation was awesome.  Spurs had the high efficiency wing duo of Danny Green and Kawhi (with Manu off the bench).  And not only did the Raps feature Green and Kawhi on the wing but also Siakam at the other forward spot.  

Those types of wing/front line rotations are something to emulate.  I think most other teams will too.  

Luckily, Dillon can score and play either the 2 or the 3.  Clarke is versatile especially on defense, and Jaren can play the 5 but also looks like an ideal 4 in the Brave New NBA.  One more efficient wing/forward would make even better.  Slo Mo is also a factor too — an option as a point forward or small ball 4.  

I think we should be looking for an efficient/moderate usage wing who can shoot if we pick in the 3-6 range.  Definitely with any pick we get from an Iggy trade as well as the Suns’ second rounder.  

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Who can't dribble?  Klay most certainly can.

lets be honest klay doesn't have advanced dribble moves...well lets just forget about klay and focus on green(starter sg on multiple  championship teams) who clarks game will more easily replicate...actually green does alot of thins like clark but clark is just more athletic at it (defense,blocks,rebounds,hustle plays)...green has the upper hand in shooting (green career 40%shooter which i don't clark can reach but 36-38% would be achievable)  and as good as ja is going to be on the offensive side of the court he is going to struggle on defense so they are going to need some stoppers at sg/sf (clark/slowmo).

ja/clark/slowmo/bruno/3js ...dillon/JV 6th men ...this should be the main guys after trade deadline crowder and hill need to be gone.

ja/jones

clark/dillon

slowmo/guduric

bruno/josh jackson

3Js/Jv

6 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

you can't watch these highlights of green and tell me that clark can't be this...only thing missing is the shooting.

And take away his strengths?  How about we just let Brandon Clarke be Brandon Clarke instead of turning him into Klay Green?  What's wrong with Dillon playing SG?  He's been alright defensively.

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

And take away his strengths?  How about we just let Brandon Clarke be Brandon Clarke instead of turning him into Klay Green?  What's wrong with Dillon playing SG?  He's been alright defensively.

I just hope people have given up the idea that jaren is a center. He isnt a center. Playing our best rebounder at sg sounds like a plan though, even though jaren is a below average rebounder.

2 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I just hope people have given up the idea that jaren is a center. He isnt a center. Playing our best rebounder at sg sounds like a plan though, even though jaren is a below average rebounder.

I wouldn't give up on it, but I wouldn't force it either.  I'd just wait to see how his development goes and play it by ear.  Is he a tweener?  Center size with SF game?  IDK.