Sign in to follow this  
memphis slim

1st franchise superstar?

curious as to thoughts after 11 games.

are we seeing the evolution/growth of the first franchise superstar in ja?

my personal thought is- yes.

i would say ceiling is superstar and floor is multi-time allstar.

slim.

4 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

curious as to thoughts after 11 games.

are we seeing the evolution/growth of the first franchise superstar in ja?

my personal thought is- yes.

i would say ceiling is superstar and floor is multi-time allstar.

slim.

Yep..total agreement.   He led SportsCenter.........

Young blood is the real deal.    He has a chance to be a real media draw for us and actually get us on national TV scene.   Guarantee you that we will have more nationally televised games next year. 

We could be. Morant is showing both the talent and the drive to be the best. The Grizzlies have had numerous talented young players (Pau, Marc, Mike, Rudy, OJ, Jaren) who didn't have the drive. They have had players with the drive but without the talent (Dahntay Jones, Drew Gooden) but they have never had the combination of insane talent and fierce drive and determination before.  

it would be a good idea for the fo to get some advice from some other franchises that have had a superstar develop within their organization- may sound silly, but I’m serious. 

slim. 

21 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

We could be. Morant is showing both the talent and the drive to be the best. The Grizzlies have had numerous talented young players (Pau, Marc, Mike, Rudy, OJ, Jaren) who didn't have the drive. They have had players with the drive but without the talent (Dahntay Jones, Drew Gooden) but they have never had the combination of insane talent and fierce drive and determination before.  

You think Mike didnt have drive? I would say he didnt have Ja's confidence but I thought he had drive.

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

You think Mike didnt have drive? I would say he didnt have Ja's confidence but I thought he had drive.

He had drive but not like Ja. When Mike was here he deferred from being the big play guy. He grew into it eventually but he was not the type of player who wanted to make the big play right off the bat. Ja isn't deferring to anyone. That's what I mean be drive. Ja is out to prove he is better than anyone else right now. He isn't content being the second or third option. 

Conley had drive that's exactly why he was able to become the Grizz legend he is.   What he lacked for many years was the confidence and fearlessness from the get go.      Mike developed those skills over the years.   Ja comes Day One with the toughness, fearlessness, confidence and drive that took Conley years to hone.      He also has better size (Conley was small too) and shooting acumen from the get go as well.   

Jaren and Ja have the rare combination of physical tools and mentalities that elevate their ceilings to "superstar" level.    Most of our guys never had both of those important components.   Zbo had the mentality but not the physical profile same with Mike, Marc and even OJ.  Rudy and Stromile had physical tools but not the mentality.    Ja and Jaren do.   Their only limits will be hardwork and health - they possess everything else. 

2 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

gtf. I love jjj, but I don’t believe he has the internal drive we are witnessing within ja. I’d love to be proven wrong though. 

slim. 

Gotta remember he is still the youngest player on the roster and still hasn't played a Full NBA season worth of games.    The cajones he showed last season to do the stepback on Lebron - shows he has the mentality.       I think he has the attributes just not to the level of Ja.    Ja has the Drive and Will to become Great (gotta give his dad lots of credit here).   Jaren has the Drive just maybe not as much Will. 

the offseason will be very telling for ja. as much as I trust my gut as far as watching him and thinking I know what he’ll be and become....

providing he keeps at his same pace- please lo’d...let’s see how he approaches his first professional offseason. I still remember penny’s first offseason. he came back with 10-15lbs muscle added, and came back on a mission. 

let’s see our young buck do the same and to the moon alice!!

slim. 

30 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

the offseason will be very telling for ja. as much as I trust my gut as far as watching him and thinking I know what he’ll be and become....

providing he keeps at his same pace- please lo’d...let’s see how he approaches his first professional offseason. I still remember penny’s first offseason. he came back with 10-15lbs muscle added, and came back on a mission. 

let’s see our young buck do the same and to the moon alice!!

slim. 

I hope he'll be fine,  he doesn't seem like the kind of kid that'll just settle

Ja has Moxie!  And if he gets knocked on his *** or has a bad game, he comes right back.  Ja was getting torched by Rozier....but he wanted the ball at the end and didn't shrink in the face of adversity.

I like Mike Conley, but he doesn't have IT.  I've seen him get torched by the opposing PG and shrinking to where you didn't know he was on the court.

We just saw Jaren go through a funk for a few games because of fouls; and his confidence was obviously down.  I really like Jaren, but he ain't no Ja.

I'm glad we had the 2nd pick because we have a budding superstar.

Jaren Jackson, Jr. was our first potential "superstar".  Still upside.  Still a big kid who is growing.  He can be a top 10 or top 15 guy in this league.  The playoffs make superstars so Jaren will need a "breakout playoffs" or 3 to reach that level.  Although even if he peaks as a 3rd Team All NBA/2nd Team All Defense then he will make the short list of Grizzlies greats.

Ja Morant is a budding MEGA STAR.  I think he and Luka run the league soon.

Brandon Clarke can be a potential All Star or maybe a guy on the Mike Conley level who is one of the handful of really good ones who "never made the All Star team".  To be an All Star Clarke might have to turn into a high volume (or medium volume) scorer.  

We have had some really good stars here like Pau, Marc, Mike, Zbo but Ja is on pace to be a legitimate superstar.  There are things he does as a rookie that are unheard of.  It's all about consistency and longevity now because Jeremy Lin and others have shown us the true test is when opponents have film on you and adjust to your play style and tendencies can you still have success.

YO

Some heavy recency bias going on in this thread. Transport yourself back to 11 years ago and look at OJ Mayo's game log...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mayooj01/gamelog/2009

Not saying Ja will turn out like OJ (think he's far more naturally talented in a number of ways), but let's not dump on guys like Mike Conley (who carries us to a victory against the Spurs in a legendary playoff performance) and revise history to say guys didn't have IT.

3 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Some heavy recency bias going on in this thread. Transport yourself back to 11 years ago and look at OJ Mayo's game log...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mayooj01/gamelog/2009

Not saying Ja will turn out like OJ (think he's far more naturally talented in a number of ways), but let's not dump on guys like Mike Conley (who carries us to a victory against the Spurs in a legendary playoff performance) and revise history to say guys didn't have IT.

Just because somebody doesn't have the superstar IT doesn't mean they aren't a great player. 

7 hours ago, memphis slim said:

it would be a good idea for the fo to get some advice from some other franchises that have had a superstar develop within their organization- may sound silly, but I’m serious. 

slim. 

I think a rookie of the year campaign would be a good start, like colleges do for potential Heismans.

2 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

Ja and 3Js are going to be a superstar duo

jordan/pippen

stockton/malone

Calm down turbo.

Lets not get crazy. I agree that ROY should be the first realistic goal before top fifty y’all of fame all time with them.

41 minutes ago, Commadoor Sixty-four said:

Calm down turbo.

Lets not get crazy. I agree that ROY should be the first realistic goal before top fifty y’all of fame all time with them.

i was just using them as examples...not saying there going to be as good as them.

Will still take some time before Ja reach the superstar level. He got the potential we all agree but time will tell. And regarding Mike, do not forget that he choose Memphis for years. He would have play at Houston GSW or another big team, he would have been a multiple all star and have ring.For the moment, Mike is the legend and Ja the future superstar, no need to compare them  for me.

2 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

i was just using them as examples...not saying there going to be as good as them.

Well....those are some exemplary examples then. We can only hope at this point....

People need to remember that the nba that Ja inherited was far different than the one Conley came into.

The rules today have stripped any semblance of defense. When Conley came into the league it was very much a big man's league and you could actually play defense.

Mike has always been a big moment player. Comparing Mike's rookie byear to this league is wack.

Also, it will take years before ja understands half court basketball, although ja is really really good.