Ole Dirty Klondike

Should We Re-SIgn D Brooks?

Should We Re-SIgn D Brooks?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Re-SIgn D Brooks?

• No, let him walk
    • I don't know, I'll be a wuss and take the easy lazy answer and say let's wait and see
    • Yes, but only for less than the MLE (say the MLE is $9.5 mil per)
    • Yes for right around the MLE
    • Yes, definitely for more than the MLE
  2. 2. If we re-sign him, what position bests suits DB?

• He's a starter at the 2, a natural
    • He's definitely a starter at the 3
    • He should be our 6th Man whether at the 2 or 3
    • IDK, we could use him but not as a main rotation player

If I had to put money on a guess at what Dillons offer will be, I'd say a team like the Knicks, Pistons, or Sac will go 3 yrs/ 75 mill, No way we match

1 hour ago, Ace-is-high said:

If I had to put money on a guess at what Dillons offer will be, I'd say a team like the Knicks, Pistons, or Sac will go 3 yrs/ 75 mill, No way we match

13-14 mil/year 4 years

7 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

13-14 mil/year 4 years

Is it legal for a team to sign a player to 4 years on a salary that low? No way he doesn't get more than that unless his play drops down.. hope your right though

7 minutes ago, Ace-is-high said:

Is it legal for a team to sign a player to 4 years on a salary that low? No way he doesn't get more than that unless his play drops down.. hope your right though

14 mil per year is low?

6 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

14 mil per year is low?

JV makes 16 and that was considered below market, if Dillon plays season out like he played the last month he would command at the very least equal to that, most likely a few million more,  not saying that hes worth it but his skill set of a two way multiple position wing player is in more demand than a lumbering big man, plus DB is young enough to where still has more upside left to grow into which would certainly reflect in his contract offered by a team trying to pry him away, no team is going to offer him a deal were sure to match

Dillon Brooks, F, Grizzlies (RFA): An up-and-coming three-and-D wing, Brooks is back in the Grizzlies’ starting lineup this season, and the team has played significantly better when he’s on the floor. Memphis has a -1.3 net rating in Brooks’ 381 minutes; in 296 minutes without him, that rating plummets to -17.0. He’ll also be just 24 years old next July, so a team that likes him should have no qualms about investing long-term

Even if he got a contract similar to Gary Harris, I'm fine with that. Dillon has arguably been better than him this year anyway and is continuing to improve on defense and as a facilitator. I think he's a starter for us long term at this point. He's not perfect, but he's pretty good. 

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Even if he got a contract similar to Gary Harris, I'm fine with that. Dillon has arguably been better than him this year anyway and is continuing to improve on defense and as a facilitator. I think he's a starter for us long term at this point. He's not perfect, but he's pretty good. 

Cant pay him Gary Harris money, I would go for 3-4 years for 24-40 millions. If we give him Will Barton money at most then we would still be able to go for another wing player to pair next to him.

1 hour ago, Ja_Rules said:

Cant pay him Gary Harris money, I would go for 3-4 years for 24-40 millions. If we give him Will Barton money at most then we would still be able to go for another wing player to pair next to him.

Yeah, you're right, Harris's gets a little out of hand honestly. 4 years - 52 million is perfectly reasonable. 

Dillon for Will Barton money is sounds like a good deal also bringing him off the bench like Barton did for so many years in Denver is also smart Dillon's ego won't like that. 

8 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Dillon for Will Barton money is sounds like a good deal also bringing him off the bench like Barton did for so many years in Denver is also smart Dillon's ego won't like that. 

The main thing is that we have to show him that we have better options than him. That is why I want us to trade for someone like Beal or CJ Mccollum to faster the process, but at the same time, our window is just opening. Can Dillon become a starter on a championship team? I dont think so, but Im sure that if we have some quality wings and pay him some good money to be the game changer of the bench, he might accept that.

I keep saying  I want to see Josh Jackson, being around Jae, SlowMo and Solo might be what he needs to change his career.

he thinks he is and wants to be paid like a #1 guy, but he's not.  that's my only concern for him moving forward is a bit of a "me first" complex.  if he's your best player or #1 scorer, you're on a bad team.  he needs to defer to ja and jaren more often, which i why i prefer him off the bench as a SF in a lou williams type role.  he would eat against 2nd units IMO and is a good defender when he curtails his aggression.  he would probably score close to his similar average but on less shots w/ better efficiency.  melton or allen may end up being better fits as a starting SG next to ja and jaren as they are much more low maintenance and unselfish.  they can both be secondary playmakers.  melton is a great defender and his jumper is coming along, while vice versa allen has already proven he can space the floor and getting better at defense as his ankles are getting healthier.

1 hour ago, Ja_Rules said:

The main thing is that we have to show him that we have better options than him. That is why I want us to trade for someone like Beal or CJ Mccollum to faster the process, but at the same time, our window is just opening. Can Dillon become a starter on a championship team? I dont think so, but Im sure that if we have some quality wings and pay him some good money to be the game changer of the bench, he might accept that.

I keep saying  I want to see Josh Jackson, being around Jae, SlowMo and Solo might be what he needs to change his career.

Whatever the grizz do it needs to be organic 

47 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Whatever the grizz do it needs to be organic 

What does this even mean? 

If anything winning in the NBA is NOT organic. 

You want to take advantage of every opportunity and situation to come out tops in every draft and every trade. Nothing about that is organic. 

1 hour ago, Teddy.B said:

What does this even mean? 

If anything winning in the NBA is NOT organic. 

You want to take advantage of every opportunity and situation to come out tops in every draft and every trade. Nothing about that is organic. 

I agree  with you, but on the other hand I quite agree with him too; I believe that the organic might be him saying we shouldn't make anything crazy. We cant make other Jeff Green trade, but at the same time, we have to take some risk.

I remember that Warriors already had their 2 stars in Stephen and Klay, then they made a home run in Draymond Green, but only when they traded for the injuried Bogut, signed the injuried proned Livingston and most important signed Iguodala and a bunch of other vets that they put themselves in the conversation for title.

It is about lucky and being agressive.

In our case we already have our duo in lineup with Ja and Jaren, and also our Draymond in Clarke. We could say our Bogut is JV, our Livingston is Jones or SlowMo, our Barbosa is Dillon or Melton and our Barnes is Jae. But like they traded for Iguodala to move them into a championship team, we must find some pieces to move us into contenders through FA or trade.

I sometimes want us to trade for Beal or CJ Mccollum and go all for it right now, other times I wish we could steal a K Knox from Knicks and go the long way.

The main thing is we are in a great situation, we just need a couple of elite shooters to open the floor for Ja (like Joe Harris and Bertans, they would be my choice) and another bigman to make things safer in case of injuries (Olynik or M Leonard, even Noah works if necessary).

Lets see what we make in deadline, in the Playoffs and in the next offseason.

We are so close to be really good, FO must continue their fantastic job and we will finally have a real chance.

I know he will get paid BUT i.m hoping for a home town discount . we need to keep this team together for a long time and then add some pieces around it 

23 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Just fyi...this dude averages 6 points and 5 boards and got an extension at $9 mil per

That’s less than the MLE. I think most fans haven’t yet accepted the kind of money players get these days.

42 minutes ago, UkGrizz said:

Dillon is eligible for a 4yr $51m extension in season so it will be interesting to see if he's offered that. 

17 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Royce Oneal is a very good defender who shoots 44% from three. 9 million is a bargain.

If Oneal is getting 36m Dillon gets over 42 mil for sure.

I think we should go for a little over the avarage contract that W Barton got, make it 3y/38 mil or 4y/51 mil, making the 3 year offer would be better for us, because he would expire next time at the same time as Ja and Clarke, is alwais important to have flexibility on those FAs. 

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

That’s less than the MLE. I think most fans haven’t yet accepted the kind of money players get these days.

I agree. If he's valued just slightly below the MLE (which is about $9.25 for this year so next year probably between $9.5-$9.7 mi depending on revenues), Dillon the Villain is easily $12 mil, if not closer to $14 mil or whatever his max would be. If his max is in that range, it may make sense to go ahead and lock him up.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Royce Oneal is a very good defender who shoots 44% from three. 9 million is a bargain.

Yes, he shoots 44% from 3 but at 6 ppg the most he could make is 2 3 pointers a game. He's avg about 1.3 made 3's per game which is decent but let's be honest, it accounts for about 4 pts for a guy only avg 6 ppg. That 44% sounds nice but it's low volume. He attempts less than three 3's a game.

I don't dispute he's a good defender but I am just comparing his contract to where Dillon's value would be and I think most in the league would value Dillon much higher than O'neale (probably higher than most on this board to be honest and that includes myself)

19 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

(probably higher than most on this board to be honest and that includes myself)

Personally,  I value Dillion probably more than anyone on the board. That said, I hope the FO dont try to back up the brinks truck for him. If they can show as much shrewdness in contract signings as they have with trades and pick acquisitions then they should remain competitive for years and always have the ability to make sure Ja has talent around him. 

45 minutes ago, Southern Dreadz said:

Personally,  I value Dillion probably more than anyone on the board. That said, I hope the FO dont try to back up the brinks truck for him. If they can show as much shrewdness in contract signings as they have with trades and pick acquisitions then they should remain competitive for years and always have the ability to make sure Ja has talent around him. 

I doubt they'd do that for anyone not name Ja or Jaren. I do think Dillon may command more than the mle slightly