Ole Dirty Klondike

Should We Re-SIgn D Brooks?

Should We Re-SIgn D Brooks?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Re-SIgn D Brooks?

• No, let him walk
    • I don't know, I'll be a wuss and take the easy lazy answer and say let's wait and see
    • Yes, but only for less than the MLE (say the MLE is $9.5 mil per)
    • Yes for right around the MLE
    • Yes, definitely for more than the MLE
  2. 2. If we re-sign him, what position bests suits DB?

• He's a starter at the 2, a natural
    • He's definitely a starter at the 3
    • He should be our 6th Man whether at the 2 or 3
    • IDK, we could use him but not as a main rotation player

54 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I'm not advocating that we give him $15 mil. i'm just saying a team could offer him that. I think it's way too much. I'm fine with around $10 mil per. Someone posted salaries earlier, I don't think it's out of the question for a starting SG who is avg double digits to make $15 mil. $15 mil sounds like a lot but things have changed a lot in relation to salaries in the past few years. 

if a team is crazy enough to off him 15 mil per (even as a starter) than the FO absolutely has to let him walk.  I'd be fine w/ 9-11 mil, maybe 12, but even that's pushing it.

2 hours ago, grizz09 said:

if a team is crazy enough to off him 15 mil per (even as a starter) than the FO absolutely has to let him walk.  I'd be fine w/ 9-11 mil, maybe 12, but even that's pushing it.

If you look at the people making around $13-$15 mil, is Dillon that much worse than those guys? $15 mil is not superstar money. I don't want to see the Grizz off him that much but it wouldn't surprise me if a team did. Look at the guys making that much. I would like to see between $8-$11 mil but who knows if that is enough to realistically keep him. Teams over react and overpay all of the time.

Suns basically paid to move TJ Warren and look at his numbers in comparison, particularly this season.

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

Suns basically paid to move TJ Warren and look at his numbers in comparison, particularly this season.

IMO Suns are the last team in the NBA at developing talent.

22 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

IMO Suns are the last team in the NBA at developing talent.

They basically quit trying to develop talent and signed a bunch of high BBIQ players instead. Probably hoping some of it will stick to their young guys.

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

If you look at the people making around $13-$15 mil, is Dillon that much worse than those guys? $15 mil is not superstar money. I don't want to see the Grizz off him that much but it wouldn't surprise me if a team did. Look at the guys making that much. I would like to see between $8-$11 mil but who knows if that is enough to realistically keep him. Teams over react and overpay all of the time.

8-9M would be all that I would pay.

The point is, its not about the Suns, its about Warren and comparative value.

Unless Brooks can put up 18-20 pts every game there is no way in hail he is worth 15mil, not even 10-12 mil. Better value can be found elsewhere.

Although I admit we just paid Tyus 7-8 mil and he is garbage on D, can't be relied upon on O, but you are paying some kind of a premium for him being a PG

Watching the Raps-Hornets right now and i can see Dillon getting Norman Powell-level money. Maybe a full-time starter if he stays consistent, maybe better off the bench. Still early for that to be decided for either of them. 4yrs/42 is what Norm got. Thats bout right for Dillon if he keeps up his play.

Just now, cdp said:

Watching the Raps-Hornets right now and i can see Dillon getting Norman Powell-level money. Maybe a real starter if he stays consistent, maybe better off the bench. Still early for that to be decided for either of them. 4yrs/42 is what Norm got. Thats bout right for Dillon if he keeps up his play.

That would be perfectly reasonable for him honestly. 10.5 million a year isn't even 10% of the total cap at this point (and barely 7% of the luxury tax). That's just the reality of the NBA at this point for a quality role player, which I believe Dillon qualifies as.

His value is 9-12 million roughly the mle 

He is definitely a sixth man and has been since he cane into the league. I love his fight and tenacity but he is not worth overpaying. He would be great on the bench a 2nd unit of Tyus/Dillon/Kyle/BC/Jonas is very balanced and would have us likely in the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

The point is, its not about the Suns, its about Warren and comparative value.

Unless Brooks can put up 18-20 pts every game there is no way in hail he is worth 15mil, not even 10-12 mil. Better value can be found elsewhere.

Although I admit we just paid Tyus 7-8 mil and he is garbage on D, can't be relied upon on O, but you are paying some kind of a premium for him being a PG

Well, TJ Warren is a 1-dimensional scorer. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Suns have a winning record now that he's going, early in the season but still. Now you may say, "well, Indy has a winning record too" and i would say he's a better fit there. You have 2 very high BBIQ players in Brogdon and Sabonis. Brogdon is one of the most efficient guards in the league and Sabonis has been a beast. They need a third guy to score and in steps Warren but in general, Warren is one of those guys who scores points but doesn't affect the outcome of the game. You also have Lamb and Turner scoring in double figures too. I like Warren as a6th man on a  good team.

You were very selective in choosing Waren but let me be selective and show a few guys making around $15 mil per this season:

• James Johnson- $15.3 mil this year, option for next year at $16 mil and he's avg 5 ppg and 2.5 rpg. last year, he avg 7 ppg
  • Brandon Knight- $15.6 mil this year. Averaging 5 ppg and 2 apg
  • Ian Mahinmi- $15.4 mil this season, has averaged about 4 ppg and 4 rpg the last 2 seasons, hasn't even played this season
  • Marvin Williams- $15 mil this season, averaging 6.5 ppg and 2 rpg
  • Danny Green- $14 mil, averaging 8 ppg

Then you have guys like Dennis Schroeder, Rudy Gay, and others, whose stats are similar to D Brooks and they make between $13-$15 mil. If Dillon's agent is any good, they have already communicated this to the Grizz. 

3 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, TJ Warren is a 1-dimensional scorer. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Suns have a winning record now that he's going, early in the season but still. Now you may say, "well, Indy has a winning record too" and i would say he's a better fit there. You have 2 very high BBIQ players in Brogdon and Sabonis. Brogdon is one of the most efficient guards in the league and Sabonis has been a beast. They need a third guy to score and in steps Warren but in general, Warren is one of those guys who scores points but doesn't affect the outcome of the game. You also have Lamb and Turner scoring in double figures too. I like Warren as a6th man on a  good team.

You were very selective in choosing Waren but let me be selective and show a few guys making around $15 mil per this season:

• James Johnson- $15.3 mil this year, option for next year at $16 mil and he's avg 5 ppg and 2.5 rpg. last year, he avg 7 ppg
  • Ian Mahinmi- $15.4 mil this season, has averaged about 4 ppg and 4 rpg the last 2 seasons, hasn't even played this season

Then you have guys like Dennis Schroeder, Rudy Gay, and others, whose stats are similar to D Brooks and they make between $13-$15 mil. If Dillon's agent is any good, they have already communicated this to the Grizz. 

But you have to admit, those are some bad contracts for the production.  I think 15M is too much for DB but if the Grizz have it to spend, that is what the market is, and they dont have a better idea then I'm ok with it.

6 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

James Johnson - many people have been saying he has been overpaid for the last 2-3 years, his contract was ridiculous, and the Heat have been trying to trade him for over a year and nobody wants him

Brandon Knight - basically he is finished, he was being paid this money based on his play 4 years ago. When we pay a guy, we should be paying him on their value in the future, not the past. Weren't you one of the guys critical of how much Conley got paid, using the argument that we were giving him that contract based on what he'd done, not what he was worth moving forward?

Ian Mahinmi - again, like Johnson, WAY over paid, they have been trying to trade him for near 2 years, nobody wants that contract.

Marvin Williams - same again, Hornets were trying to shove him onto us during the Gasol talks, lucky our  previous GM was not allowed anywhere near these talks, especially after Brooks/Oubre fiasco

Danny Green - fair value, a proven season vet, a champion, a top defender, once considered one of the best 3&D guys in the league, has come through in the clutch many times, most recently saving Lakers against Dallas 2 weeks ago, knocking down a 3 on the buzzer to send the game into OT, which they then won. And previously how many times he destroyed many LBJ-led teams in the finals. He is still producing, and NOWHERE near as ball-dominant and demanding as Dillon. It's an absolute joke he could be compared to Dillon Brooks. I'll take Danny Green, as is now, everyday of the week. In fact, I was thinking only hours before you posted how good it would be if we had him with Ja in the backcourt, and how he has been relatively cheap for his last 2 contracts.

Why should we be one of the teams in the Way Overpay club? Just because we will have some good spare change, doesn't mean we just waste it for the sake of spending money

Warren is averaging nearly 18ppg. He's scored 19 or more in 8/14 games so far. If Dillon can do this, great, I'll take him, but he hasn't, and he ain't so far. And Warren didn't cost 15mil per season.

It's not a coincidence the Suns are winning now? You may think that. I don't, they have been terribly coached, and have had a terrible roster. Are you blaming Warren and or Josh Jackson for that?

I want to give Josh Jackson a real proper go, like at least 40 games to see what he can do. He may be crap, but he may just surprise. Personally I've thought Warren was the better of the 2, but no one knows if we don't give Josh a go.

I get it, Dillon Brooks has a great amount of scrub love on these boards, probably the most of any Grizzly who isn't Ja or Jaren. Everyone is entitled to their view. My view is 15 mil is ridiculous, and if any team offers him that, good luck to Dillon, adios amigo. Unless of course he scores 18ppg or more every game from now until May.

4 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

James Johnson - many people have been saying he has been overpaid for the last 2-3 years, his contract was ridiculous, and the Heat have been trying to trade him for over a year and nobody wants him

Brandon Knight - basically he is finished, he was being paid this money based on his play 4 years ago. When we pay a guy, we should be paying him on their value in the future, not the past. Weren't you one of the guys critical of how much Conley got paid, using the argument that we were giving him that contract based on what he'd done, not what he was worth moving forward?

Ian Mahinmi - again, like Johnson, WAY over paid, they have been trying to trade him for near 2 years, nobody wants that contract.

Marvin Williams - same again, Hornets were trying to shove him onto us during the Gasol talks, lucky our  previous GM was not allowed anywhere near these talks, especially after Brooks/Oubre fiasco

Danny Green - fair value, a proven season vet, a champion, a top defender, once considered one of the best 3&D guys in the league, has come through in the clutch many times, most recently saving Lakers against Dallas 2 weeks ago, knocking down a 3 on the buzzer to send the game into OT, which they then won. And previously how many times he destroyed many LBJ-led teams in the finals. He is still producing, and NOWHERE near as ball-dominant and demanding as Dillon. It's an absolute joke he could be compared to Dillon Brooks. I'll take Danny Green, as is now, everyday of the week. In fact, I was thinking only hours before you posted how good it would be if we had him with Ja in the backcourt, and how he has been relatively cheap for his last 2 contracts.

Why should we be one of the teams in the Way Overpay club? Just because we will have some good spare change, doesn't mean we just waste it for the sake of spending money

Warren is averaging nearly 18ppg. He's scored 19 or more in 8/14 games so far. If Dillon can do this, great, I'll take him, but he hasn't, and he ain't so far. And Warren didn't cost 15mil per season.

It's not a coincidence the Suns are winning now? You may think that. I don't, they have been terribly coached, and have had a terrible roster. Are you blaming Warren and or Josh Jackson for that?

I want to give Josh Jackson a real proper go, like at least 40 games to see what he can do. He may be crap, but he may just surprise. Personally I've thought Warren was the better of the 2, but no one knows if we don't give Josh a go.

I get it, Dillon Brooks has a great amount of scrub love on these boards, probably the most of any Grizzly who isn't Ja or Jaren. Everyone is entitled to their view. My view is 15 mil is ridiculous, and if any team offers him that, good luck to Dillon, adios amigo. Unless of course he scores 18ppg or more every game from now until May.

7.5 is also ridiculous 

9 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

LOL, you're totally missing the point. I'm not saying he IS going to get $15 mil per. I'm not saying I want him to get $15 mil per. I hope he gets somewhere around the MLE $ amount point. I threw out those players to make a simple point. You don't have to average 20 ppg or even be a starter to get $15 mil per year. That's my point. If Dillon has a good agent, I would suspect, they would shoot for that amount. There is no scrub love for Dillon from my end. I have been very consistent on my views on Dillon. The guys that I posted are scrubs though. Teams overpay ALL OF THE TIME. 

I think people really need to adjust their perspective on player's pay. I think most people are stuck in time before the last CBA.  They hear dollar amounts and freak out but when you look at the reality, it's not that uncommon for Dillon type players to make over $10 mil.   Same thing for Andrew Wiggins' salary. People keep talking about his horrible contract. Dude is barely in the top 30 of NBA salaries. He's not being paid like a superstar. Salaries have skyrocketed. $15 mil really ain't that much these days. Actually, if you're making less than the MLE, you're like a 8th or 9th person off of the bench. i think Dillon is a solid 6th man or starter on the right team. 

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I think people really need to adjust their perspective on player's pay. I think most people are stuck in time before the last CBA.  They hear dollar amounts and freak out but when you look at the reality,

CoSign.   Top guys are getting paid like 35-44m per year so in comparison 10-15m is minimum Starter money. 

Hope not or, at least, hope not for more than 5M per year. He has to be one of the most inefficient shooters I have seen. +15.9 points per possessions without him playing...

I like the kid, but clearly doesn't know his role yet.

I'm absolutely sick of watching Dillon start on this team. The absolute most he gets without walking for me is 7 mil a year if that. Being a season ticket holder, I haven't missed one home game this year and let me tell you; watching Dillon get the ball is cringe worthy every time especially when the offense is flowing. He is a ball stopper but not good enough to justify it with our other 4 best players on the floor. I don't know who told him he was Kobe, but his ***** poor shot selection and horrible first step/iso moves has me ready to throw the towel in on him. 

I've had this talk with other regulars at the games and one response I've heard is that we are more liable to win when Dillon plays well. Obviously we won't win with JUST Ja & Jaren scoring 20 pts a piece. We're gonna need 1 or 2 more guys able to get us 13-17 a game as well, no matter who it is (much rather Bruno be getting these minutes as he showed last year what he can do with consistent playing time). I understand this is a contract year for him but forcing his game instead of just focusing on becoming a legit 3 and D guy is gonna shorten his career both here in Memphis and probably the NBA as a whole if he doesn't get it together fast. I just think we can spend that kind of money on other guys that fit better with our squad next season IMHO.

24 minutes ago, grizzdafuture said:

I'm absolutely sick of watching Dillon start on this team. The absolute most he gets without walking for me is 7 mil a year if that. Being a season ticket holder, I haven't missed one home game this year and let me tell you; watching Dillon get the ball is cringe worthy every time especially when the offense is flowing. He is a ball stopper but not good enough to justify it with our other 4 best players on the floor. I don't know who told him he was Kobe, but his ***** poor shot selection and horrible first step/iso moves has me ready to throw the towel in on him. 

I've had this talk with other regulars at the games and one response I've heard is that we are more liable to win when Dillon plays well. Obviously we won't win with JUST Ja & Jaren scoring 20 pts a piece. We're gonna need 1 or 2 more guys able to get us 13-17 a game as well, no matter who it is (much rather Bruno be getting these minutes as he showed last year what he can do with consistent playing time). I understand this is a contract year for him but forcing his game instead of just focusing on becoming a legit 3 and D guy is gonna shorten his career both here in Memphis and probably the NBA as a whole if he doesn't get it together fast. I just think we can spend that kind of money on other guys that fit better with our squad next season IMHO.

Soooo, his bad play in contract year....will get us a value contract...let it fly Dillon...let it fly

8 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Just wondering...Has any one changed their thoughts on Dilly Dilly?

Well I just gave my thoughts on the Dillon off the roster thread

11 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Well I just gave my thoughts on the Dillon off the roster thread

I think Melton's play has changed my mind a little. I was thinking keeping for an amount around what the MLE would be and bring him off of the bench as the main 6th man. If we could get Melton for cheaper, why not just go after him. We would still need to find a starter though. 

If it came down to Melton vs Brooks, I'm taking Melton 

On 12/31/2019 at 7:51 PM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I think Melton's play has changed my mind a little. I was thinking keeping for an amount around what the MLE would be and bring him off of the bench as the main 6th man. If we could get Melton for cheaper, why not just go after him. We would still need to find a starter though. 

Imho both can be signed and not affect the other. Let Melton play the 2 off the bench and Dillon the 3. Neither will be breaking the bank