Ole Dirty Klondike

Should We Re-SIgn D Brooks?

Should We Re-SIgn D Brooks?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Re-SIgn D Brooks?

• No, let him walk
    • I don't know, I'll be a wuss and take the easy lazy answer and say let's wait and see
    • Yes, but only for less than the MLE (say the MLE is $9.5 mil per)
    • Yes for right around the MLE
    • Yes, definitely for more than the MLE
  2. 2. If we re-sign him, what position bests suits DB?

• He's a starter at the 2, a natural
    • He's definitely a starter at the 3
    • He should be our 6th Man whether at the 2 or 3
    • IDK, we could use him but not as a main rotation player

D Brooks is showing some nice improvement this year, playing under control and is positively contributing to the team. His contract is up at the end of this year. He's only making $1.6 mil this year. What are people's thoughts on DB's future with the Grizz? While making some nice contributions, his PER is still below average. I'm just wondering if we use the MLE dollar amount as the baseline and assume it will be around $9.5 million per season, what should we do with Dillon and how should we use him going forward. 

He is definitely worth keeping around. He seems to excel when he is in a lead scorer mentality which is why I prefer him as the 6th man coming in to score points while the starters rest but he is young and still developing. He should be kept. 

Yep I am good with keeping Da'Villain.   His tenacity on offense and defense seems to inspire our young guys.    He definitely has that Dawg in him and fearless.     

Plus he can actually score inside and out and one of the better floor spacers on the team.   Basically, all the stuff we are looking for in other players - DB is already showing he can do.    We need MORE capable wing scorers not less; so letting one of the young guys that has proved it go is insane. 

If  Josh can come in and show what he is doing in Southaven is no fluke.  Then we really don't have to worry about overpaying some outside freeagent.  Can just go the internal development route and save that capspace for more bad contracts/picks. 

We should keep him unless there's a stupid offer. If the coaches can convince him to play within himself he's a great role player, I've been really impressed with his on ball defending, he's always been given the toughest assignment this year, and he can hit 3s at an above average rate. My issues with him are when he starts living in the mid range taking tough, contested shots, if he could do that less he'd be a really valuable rotation player. 

I’m on the record saying he should be retained at MLE numbers. And if he shows more improvement by the end of the season (which I wouldn’t rule put at his age) maybe even more.

We’re going to have stupid cap space next offseason, we have plenty of room to take small risks salary-wise.

I would go with MLE numbers too. He can play both spots decently so he can fit with whoever we draft. He can be a solid defender who defenses cant just ignore as a spot shooter. I mean he is really slow off the dribble and looks like he could probably gain some explosiveness if he was in better shape. I dont know how seriously he takes his body and conditioning. Not saying he isnt serious, its just hard to tell.  If he did, his defense would be pretty solid.

I am admittedly a big Brooks fan, I love his sheer will. To have his limitations not limit him by heart alone is spectacular.  Even with being a fan I'm cool with the MLE but don't want to overpay him nor stick him into a role that doesn't fit him. He should be in the 6th man/ occasional situational starter role. If you listen to Jenkins, he always states that Dillon sets the tone for the defense 

I think it would be unanimous on keeping him if the price was right.

The debate is what price and for how long on the contract.

I think it would be between $7.5-10 mm/year.  

In his favor is the limited number of quality free agents this year.

Hurting him is the limited amount that teams have on their cap for the coming year, especially if the cap stays the same or goes down.  It also hurts that he is just considered another starter on a team that has been bad for a few years and he likely won't be seen in any meaningful games.

In a small ball era he might be a perfect 3.  In a simpler time he would be an instant offense 6th man.

In THIS era he might be best used as a power 2 guard.  He reminds me of Nick Anderson somewhat.  

Also depends on who we get going forward.  Ideally, you scale up with some Brooks/Clarke wing rotations.  More likely, you go "smaller" in most rotations with Dillon at the 3 and Clarke at the 4.

Looks like Dillon/Marko are our designated high volume/moderate usage wing scorers/shooters.  

I would go as high as $12 million a year with a team option.  

If our pecking order turns out to be Ja, Jaren, 2019 pick, Clarke (in terms of overall 2-way effectiveness) then we can "afford" to "pay" Dillon Brooks since Jonas is the only other guy who is really getting "paid".  You also keep Slo Mo as a long-term rotation guy.  

I think we should have a dollar amount we spend on Dillon/Bruno/free agents.  So, if we pay Dillon a bit more, you pay the other guys a bit less.  Or, you just let Bruno walk if we shore up our big man rotation in the draft.

5 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Our team ALREADY has four players it is going to have to PAY at some point: Ja, Jaren, Dillon, and Clarke.

Doesn’t mean he is going to be paid the MLE

1 minute ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Doesn’t mean he is going to be paid the MLE

Dillon might get paid well.  Even so, Ja and Jaren look like MAX contract guys and Clarke looks like a guy who is gonna get paid very well.  Assuming we add another first rounder (at some point) to our core we already have enough youthful assets on our roster.  Asset management is gonna be key -- any new free agents need to be solid Moneyball types with high-level advanced stats.

As long as it’s under 15 mil I say yes. Dudes been playing more under control offensively and shooting with more consistency. He’d ideally be the 6th man, but I could see him as the starter as long as the talent is upgraded at the other wing spot. 

It all comes down to price...I think he would be a wonderful 6th man type of option.  He is a good spot shooter, I like to see him shooting when he is set and not so much off the bounce.   Either way, it just comes down to the money.

As things stand right now I would say definitely resign him to a fair, reasonable contract.  How much that is, I will leave for the FO finance gurus.  There are quite a few players who are worse making a lot more, but I hope the FO is prudent with their offer.

He is RFA next summer, isn't he?  We can't offer him an extension now?  Is that only for first round players?

4 hours ago, King Dork said:

As long as it’s under 15 mil I say yes. Dudes been playing more under control offensively and shooting with more consistency. He’d ideally be the 6th man, but I could see him as the starter as long as the talent is upgraded at the other wing spot. 

Whaaaatttttttt not the Brooks hater lol

5 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Whaaaatttttttt not the Brooks hater lol

Never been a Brooks hater. I do not subscribe to the over inflation of the players on this roster. He is what he is and he has real deficiencies that shouldn’t be ignored, but so do many NBA players. 

If he can continue to provide points in the way that he has over this last stretch, even with his defensive deficiencies he’s worth resigning at the right price. 

18 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Never been a Brooks hater. I do not subscribe to the over inflation of the players on this roster. He is what he is and he has real deficiencies that shouldn’t be ignored, but so do many NBA players. 

If he can continue to provide points in the way that he has over this last stretch, even with his defensive deficiencies he’s worth resigning at the right price. 

What defensive deficiencies are those, oh wise one?

I think Dillon’s market value will be around the MLE because nobody is going to break the bank (i.e. use cap space) in order to get him. He’s neither a top FA target nor the kind of player you can sign to appease a fanbase after missing out on the top FAs. On the other hand I can see a capped out team using the full MLE to seek him in order to fill a need.

So he’s going to be in a situation similar to JaM Green and I expect it to play out similarly.