Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Utah Jazz @ Memphis Grizzlies - 11/15/19

On 11/12/2019 at 8:48 PM, smit-tay griz said:

Former Grizzlies' revenge?  Mike Conley, Jeff Green, and Ed Davis.

What's their bread and butter?  Mitchell and Gobert in the pick 'n' roll?

GRIZZLIES REVENGE that's way 

18 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Tankathon now has us sending the 11th pick to Boston.

The TANK might have already sailed!

don't sweat it...not a single Raptors player was picked before #23 in round 1, and their playing at times 4 guys on the court that came through the D league...arguably they have the deepest depth in the league...no guarantees that top 5 picks turn into All stars and all NBA teams....build through the DRAFT, FA's and trades...just the DRAFT won't do it alone....

19 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Tankathon now has us sending the 11th pick to Boston.

The TANK might have already sailed!

Just curious but do you remember what the Grizzlies record was this time last season?

I sincerely doubt that many people saw tanking as being successful when the team was 8-5 on November 15, 2018. 

The rookies have started strong but the doldrums haven't started yet. January and February are brutal on young players who will be playing more games than they ever have before in a season and they are just barely halfway done.    

The Grizz can win this one, it just depends on which way they start the game. If they come out slinging 3s up, then I think it will be a loss but if they play the way they have the last 2 games then it may be a winnable game. The defense they're going to face won't be like what they faced in the last 2 games.

I see this game is on ESPN.  Was it originally that way because it's Mike Conley's homecoming game?

I expect a few of our games this year will find their way on to National TV.

2 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

don't sweat it...not a single Raptors player was picked before #23 in round 1, and their playing at times 4 guys on the court that came through the D league...arguably they have the deepest depth in the league...no guarantees that top 5 picks turn into All stars and all NBA teams....build through the DRAFT, FA's and trades...just the DRAFT won't do it alone....

We have a 2nd rounder in the 2020 draft.  That might be it.

Hopefully we find another Brandon Clarke (or a Dillon Brooks).  Our scouts must be doing their homework.

Ironically, we might be on the lookout for the "next Pascal Siakam" if all we have from here on out are non-top 10 picks.  Jaren/Clarke/Siakam 2.0 would be one heck of a front line -- and probably as perfect a front line as you can get in the NBA.

.... that might be a reason to keep tabs on Precious Achiuwa even if he slightly underperforms.  Great measurements.  Could be a real good prospect as a 3 (supposedly small forward is his natural position).  And, on the Grizzlies he really wouldn't have to create his own stuff -- just finish, rebound, defend, and hit some jumpers.  

At this point, I think we should focus on finding brutally efficient wing players who can be AT LEAST secondary shooters/secondary scorers/secondary play makers with intangibles and some defense.

On 11/12/2019 at 6:04 PM, smit-tay griz said:

Brandon Clarke currently has one more block than Rudy Gobert in 144 less minutes.

True, and I like Brandon a lot, but let's adjust for the fact that no one tries to go through Rudy anymore. 

4 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

It's pretty amazing, but it's slightly misleading, since they got Serge Ibaka by trading Terence Ross (8th pick) and Marc Gasol by trading JV (5th pick). They also won a championship by trading DeRozan (9th pick) and Poltl (9th pick) for Kawhi. 

1 hour ago, TimBC said:

True, and I like Brandon a lot, but let's adjust for the fact that no one tries to go through Rudy anymore. 

True, I'm not saying Clarke is a better rim protector, but I am pointing out how effective he is while playing fewer minutes.  That's pretty darn good.

As for no one going through Gobert anymore, I'll betcha Ja tries to tonight.  He might even succeed too, if he's smart about how he does it.

1 hour ago, ACGrizz said:

It's pretty amazing, but it's slightly misleading, since they got Serge Ibaka by trading Terence Ross (8th pick) and Marc Gasol by trading JV (5th pick). They also won a championship by trading DeRozan (9th pick) and Poltl (9th pick) for Kawhi. 

Not sure you get what I was attempting to say...a model for franchises with success could be how the Raptors have done it...from DRAFT picks to a degree, but no one on their roster is higher than a 23rd pick, trades like the ones you reference and FA signings, in most instances players that any NBA team could have gone after.  And players like Siakim, Van Fleet, OG, Powell, Boucher and others all came up from their development team, 905.  In the last 5 games with injuries...they have had at times 4 players on the court that all came from their D league team, and their winning these games...that is the model of franchises in the NBA, especially small market teams like Memphis...like Toronto could not attract premium free agents...because it's not the USA, or its cold....

2 hours ago, TimBC said:

Gorbert is the real deal...JV has not had success against him.  It could be a long or short night for JV.  Not sure we would learn much by having Brandon spend some time lining up against him, I think JJJ could learn from that match up, and the coaching staff as well in how he does against one of the elite bigs.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

True, I'm not saying Clarke is a better rim protector, but I am pointing out how effective he is while playing fewer minutes.  That's pretty darn good.

As for no one going through Gobert anymore, I'll betcha Ja tries to tonight.  He might even succeed too, if he's smart about how he does it.

If Ja dunks on Gobert, it will bring the house down.

I remember Stromile Swift dunking on Yao Ming many years ago.  We were down at the time, but after the dunk, the crowd was suddenly into the game and we won easily.

Welcome back Mike. Thanks for all the memories. We love you man.

That being said.........Please get rid of the man bun. Thanks in advance.

14 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

I remember Stromile Swift dunking on Yao Ming many years ago.  We were down at the time, but after the dunk, the crowd was suddenly into the game and we won easily.

I don't know about dunking on him, but I'll bet Ja tries to go at Gobert at the rim.

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

I don't know about dunking on him, but I'll bet Ja tries to go at Gobert at the rim.

A dunk could happen.

Rudy is kind of slow, and Ja is very quick; plus he has the ability to adjust in mid stream.

Anyway, we shall see.

3 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

The one play I remember about Stromile was he attempted a throw down dunk, but was off, and the ball bounced so high, Stro was staring, looking around, looking for it somewhere - but it just had not come down from the rafters.  It was pretty funny.

8 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

I see this game is on ESPN.  Was it originally that way because it's Mike Conley's homecoming game?

I expect a few of our games this year will find their way on to National TV.

Yep just saw the Majic Money Mike interview.

Brought a tear to the eyes, like when thinking about Elvis

Just now, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I’m IN HERE !!!!

lets GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

|>£%}|\{£¥•<\_6:/4

Enjoy yourself!

Keep us pumped, and bring it home!