Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies @ Charlotte Hornets - 11/13/19

9 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

I don't think it matters a lot whether we're 6th or convey. In fact it's probably better to convey than draft 6th. I don't know how many deep it goes but I'd want to pick 1st through 3rd and convey. 

Yeah if we make a run for the playoffs but miss out we either get a top 4 pick or convey.  Then you get a great shot at drafting Wiseman of Edwards or you are close enough to move up.  Deni, Josh Green and a few others are out there that are wings worth looking at.  Not that the draft falls off but a lot of the other top guys are either smaller point guards or combo guards or big play makers who can’t shoot: Cole Anthony, Nico Mannion, RJ Hampton, and LaMelo Ball, and you could also throw Tyrese Maxey, Tre Jones, Cassius Winston as mid/late first round types — more smallish guards who might not be ideal fits.  

If we pick 4-6 maybe you trade down for Josh Green, Scottie Lewis or another wing player and get extra assets back.  

30 minutes ago, TT_Grizz said:

Also, a guy like Brandon Clarke is a good example of why we shouldn't be too worried if we have a lower pick, good drafting can still get us that wing starter we need. I'd obviously be happier with a higher pick and the chance to get someone legit, but I wouldn't be completely devastated if we're not that high either. 

If they don't get 6th or above the pick goes to Boston

21 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

It's like every time he steps on the floor he's doing something.  Rebounding, blocking shots, running the floor, cleaning up the mess with putbacks underneath,  quick moves to a floater, and he's hitting his threes too!  That three he hit tonight was a big, much needed shot.

Speaking of threes, on the season after tonight:

Hill - 47%

Ja - 44%

Brandon - 43%

Dillon - 38%

Marko - 33%  Marko started the season 1-14 from behind the arc, the last five games he's 8-10.

If we're hitting our 3s we can compete with most teams 

18 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Hopefully the world won't end after this season, and we will get another pick someday.

Did you see what I quoted? He was saying he would be ok with a lower pick and I was just informing him that that can't happen.

great win tonight I may be WRONG about 23 wins just think next year 80 million UNDER the cap  the guys are looking good ,next up mike and the JAZZS 

6 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Ja was amazing first off, JV dominated early, Jaren was quietly very productive, Dillon had a fantastic game on both sides of the ball.

Dillon actually worked very well as a facilitator tonight. He would get into the paint, draw 2 defenders, and kick it over to JV or Jaren for an easy score. That's an encouraging development for him.  Guduric actually played very well tonight, and I thought the most encouraging part was he was actually searching for 3s. That's a great sign for him and our team. 

For the negatives, JV/Ja are a straight liability in the Pick and Roll defense. JV played way too far off the screener and allowed constant 3s by Rozier or Graham. Ja doesn't fight through screens very well either. You could see the difference with Dillon on ball, or with Jaren or Brandon as the help defender. 

I agree with everything you said here.

Ja is definitely a liability on defense, so we need to come up with some good schemes to hide him on defense.

Marko!  That man almost single handedly got us back in the game at the end of the 3rd.  I hope we have a few plays to run for him; his 3 point shot is looking sweet.

Good move by coach Jenkins, keeping Ja in for most of the 4th and especially the end of the game.  However, he should have put Dillon on Rozier earlier.

I hate losing, so these last two games have been awesome.  

Next step, let's see how we do at home against some better competition.

6 hours ago, Subliminal said:

Did you see what I quoted? He was saying he would be ok with a lower pick and I was just informing him that that can't happen.

Not this season, which is why I said what I said.  Someday.  The world isn't going to end if we don't get a top five pick next spring.

Don't worry about the pick. At some point we will be scouted and we'll trade some people away and we'll go down in the standings. All I want to see is us trying our hardest to win games regardless of if we do it or not.

I'm happy to see Brooks and Marko get into their games. We keep forgetting Marko was also in the world cup even though he wasn't injured like JV he's probably still getting into shape. A little bit of extra bounce in his jump and some confidence may have been all that was missing for him to start dropping 3s. And I honestly don't get the Dillon hate. Sure, he's a limited player and most likely a career role player, but he has no off button and lays it all on the court. I'd rather have a limited player like that rather than a incredibly skilled one that wilts when he needs to step up.

And everything, everything about Ja screams superstar.

10 hours ago, TRE2K3 said:

Memphis

D9k3_pAX4AAW945.thumb.jpg.2e60d479a53bc0ce89dba4d303df16a1.jpg

That is an awesome graphic - kudos to whoever did this.     Turns out DIllon "Da Villan" may become part of the future core by sheer force of will.   (Need to find a spot for Brandon Clarke -- maybe Gangsta Boo??)

I agree with you @fanboyslim  Some of us have been hating on Dillon way more than he deserves.  It IS much better to have a guy that tries to hard than it is to have a guy that doesn't go hard enough.     Both he and Marko are limited athletically BUT are more skilled shot-creators than given credit for.    They are also both the best standstill jumpshooters on the team too.    Yea u don't get rid of guys like that - you figure out ways to integrate them into the system.    

Related Note:  Ja shoulda been in the Juicy J pose because he is gonna be the true breakout star.  

13 hours ago, cdp said:

I think it's becoming pretty clear; Bruno is not part of their plans.

Otherwise he'd be playing over Solomon freaking Hill.

13 hours ago, grizz09 said:

disagree.  hill is an expiring contract and is trade bait.  as is crowder.

Image result for winner winner chicken dinner gif

32 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Don't worry about the pick. At some point we will be scouted and we'll trade some people away and we'll go down in the standings. All I want to see is us trying our hardest to win games regardless of if we do it or not.

I'm happy to see Brooks and Marko get into their games. We keep forgetting Marko was also in the world cup even though he wasn't injured like JV he's probably still getting into shape. A little bit of extra bounce in his jump and some confidence may have been all that was missing for him to start dropping 3s. And I honestly don't get the Dillon hate. Sure, he's a limited player and most likely a career role player, but he has no off button and lays it all on the court. I'd rather have a limited player like that rather than a incredibly skilled one that wilts when he needs to step up.

Neither do I, the guy leaves it all on the court regardless of the game he's having.  Nothing wrong with being a role player, every team has them, good to have a solid one who gives effort 

21 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I think we already have our primary core of Ja, Jaren, and Clarke with our secondary core including Dillon and Jonas.  Now which draft asset fits in best with these guys? Which draft asset will optimize winning (both ASAP and down the road)?  

You don't draft for need. You draft the best player available and use trades and free agency to fill holes in the roster. 

This young team is starting to find a way to win a game, THAT is not coached, but is built into the gene.  And, I think Ja is a big part of that.

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

The reason I don't care all that much about Dillon is that apparently he thinks/wants to be the MAN. He was giving the ball up better but he forced 1 and missed when the game was still on the line, Grizz up by 5 I think, to me that means he has no confidence in the other players and he sure isn't going to win by himself. He is a contributing player and if he would play like that I'd be fine with him. To me he is 4th option at best.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

You don't draft for need. You draft the best player available and use trades and free agency to fill holes in the roster. 

I would disagree with you there, the Grizz has needed a SF for quite some time now and may have finally found someone. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Just now, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I would disagree with you there, the Grizz has needed a SF for quite some time now and may have finally found someone. 

What SF did the Grizzlies draft? Ja (PG) or Brandon (PF/C)? 

The Grizzlies signed Marco Guduric as a free agent. Jae Crowder came in a trade as did Josh Jackson if he ever gets moved to the big team. What draft pick are you referring to that was taken as a need over the best player available? 

Just now, chipc3 said:

What SF did the Grizzlies draft? Ja (PG) or Brandon (PF/C)? 

The Grizzlies signed Marco Guduric as a free agent. Jae Crowder came in a trade as did Josh Jackson if he ever gets moved to the big team. What draft pick are you referring to that was taken as a need over the best player available? 

Dillon

3 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Dillon

Are you seriously suggesting the team's starting SG who was a second round pick (45 player taken in the draft) is your example of the team drafting for need over talent because the team needed a SF? 

Image result for whatever gif

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Are you seriously suggesting the team's starting SG who was a second round pick (45 player taken in the draft) is your example of the team drafting for need over talent because the team needed a SF? 

Dillon can play 2 or 3.

Just now, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Dillon can play 2 or 3.

Can you give me one, just one, example of a player the Grizzlies passed on to draft Dillon because they needed a SF?