Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies @ Charlotte Hornets - 11/13/19

15 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Nah nah. A win like this is 100x better for this teams future than a tank job. 
I was the biggest tanker on this board the last two years, but that was because of timing and the lack of talent on the roster. With a team this young, the losses will come when teams start needing wins for the playoffs. Tanking isn’t as necessary for a few reason:

we have foundation blocks that need to build some cohesion and develop somewhat of a winning culture, as opposed to the Suns the last 5 years

the lottery odds are much flatter. Just see last year for reference.

as I stated, this team will end up way up in the lottery, don’t worry about that. But enjoy and cheer for wins whenever the opportunity presents itself. 

The lottery odds make it easy for a 4th or 5th worse team to fall out of the top 6. Last year showed that.

Ja was amazing first off, JV dominated early, Jaren was quietly very productive, Dillon had a fantastic game on both sides of the ball.

Dillon actually worked very well as a facilitator tonight. He would get into the paint, draw 2 defenders, and kick it over to JV or Jaren for an easy score. That's an encouraging development for him.  Guduric actually played very well tonight, and I thought the most encouraging part was he was actually searching for 3s. That's a great sign for him and our team. 

For the negatives, JV/Ja are a straight liability in the Pick and Roll defense. JV played way too far off the screener and allowed constant 3s by Rozier or Graham. Ja doesn't fight through screens very well either. You could see the difference with Dillon on ball, or with Jaren or Brandon as the help defender. 

3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

The lottery odds make it easy for a 4th or 5th worse team to fall out of the top 6. Last year showed that.

True. Doesn’t change anything about my post. Especially with no clear cut #1. We are going to be in the bottom 5. Just have to hope we don’t get jumped and strike gold one last time. 

but you can’t simply hope to win 15 games and expect to add one high draft pick and flip a switch next year. You gotta build culture. It wasn’t important until this year, now that we have a lot of guys with control and talent in

7 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Ja was amazing first off, JV dominated early, Jaren was quietly very productive, Dillon had a fantastic game on both sides of the ball.

Dillon actually worked very well as a facilitator tonight. He would get into the paint, draw 2 defenders, and kick it over to JV or Jaren for an easy score. That's an encouraging development for him.  Guduric actually played very well tonight, and I thought the most encouraging part was he was actually searching for 3s. That's a great sign for him and our team. 

For the negatives, JV/Ja are a straight liability in the Pick and Roll defense. JV played way too far off the screener and allowed constant 3s by Rozier or Graham. Ja doesn't fight through screens very well either. You could see the difference with Dillon on ball, or with Jaren or Brandon as the help defender. 

thats wasn't JV fault...that is how Jenkins defensive scheme has been all season...the only reason it looked different with 3J/Clark is because jenkins changed the scheme

3 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

True. Doesn’t change anything about my post. Especially with no clear cut #1. We are going to be in the bottom 5. Just have to hope we don’t get jumped and strike gold one last time. 

but you can’t simply hope to win 15 games and expect to add one high draft pick and flip a switch next year. You gotta build culture. It wasn’t important until this year, now that we have a lot of guys with control and talent in

People said all the culture stuff about the Suns and now look at them. The Kings two years ago. They said our culture was so bad before we added winners in 2009. You add talent/IQ/toughness and it will work.

I normally wouldnt care and would be ok with falling where it may instead of wantting to lose. I mean we just need one good starter and you can find that in the 7-12 range. The problem still lies in the fact that we dont keep it if its 7 and below.

You often dont get another chance in rebuilding either. We missed a pick in 2003 and it shortchanged our 3 year playoff runs. Screwed the pick in 2009 and it hurt our 7 year playoff run bad by not having that key scorer. Feel like this could end the same way. Just one piece short.

Tied for 11th worst now 🙁 I doubt they are gonna get worse over the year. That pick is looking like it's slipping away 💸

8 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

thats wasn't JV fault...that is how Jenkins defensive scheme has been all season...the only reason it looked different with 3J/Clark is because jenkins changed the scheme

Nice observation your absolutely right

1 minute ago, Lugan Village said:

Nice observation your absolutely right

i wonder why jenkins would even think laying off guards coming off of screens was even a choice..these guys in the NBA are so athletic that once you give them a head of steam its over with...hoping he doesn't go back to that scheme EVER again.

13 minutes ago, Dwash said:

People said all the culture stuff about the Suns and now look at them. The Kings two years ago. They said our culture was so bad before we added winners in 2009. You add talent/IQ/toughness and it will work.

I normally wouldnt care and would be ok with falling where it may instead of wantting to lose. I mean we just need one good starter and you can find that in the 7-12 range. The problem still lies in the fact that we dont keep it if its 7 and below.

You often dont get another chance in rebuilding either. We missed a pick in 2003 and it shortchanged our 3 year playoff runs. Screwed the pick in 2009 and it hurt our 7 year playoff run bad by not having that key scorer. Feel like this could end the same way. Just one piece short.

you don't think they can find that in free agency...we are going to have a ton of money to spend the next few years...the is going to be finding that player while ja/clark/3js are stil on there rookie contracts.

16 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

i wonder why jenkins would even think laying off guards coming off of screens was even a choice..these guys in the NBA are so athletic that once you give them a head of steam its over with...hoping he doesn't go back to that scheme EVER again.

I'm not sure it necessarily is, JV just doesn't have the agility to get out there and hedge out on guards/also get back to cover his guy. That is the one thing teams can easily attack on our defense right now. 

31 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I don't think this front office is as incompetent as back then

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

Man, Brandon Clarke is amazing to me.  Such a solid player.  If he and Ja keep going like they are this will likely be the best Grizzlies draft ever.

Yup, I was down on Brandon when we drafted him, but he is a hell of a player. Great all around player. 

41 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

Tied for 11th worst now 🙁 I doubt they are gonna get worse over the year. That pick is looking like it's slipping away 💸

Good.  No prospect in this draft is as good as Cade Cunningham Jalen Green or Terrence Clarke besides Edwards

50 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I agree that we're still one piece short, but if you compare us to the Kings/Suns then our foundational pieces are right there. We have our superstar (Ja - Booker/Fox), and then the other pieces around him (JJJ, Brooks, Clarke - Ayton/Bagley/Hield etc.). Also, a guy like Brandon Clarke is a good example of why we shouldn't be too worried if we have a lower pick, good drafting can still get us that wing starter we need. I'd obviously be happier with a higher pick and the chance to get someone legit, but I wouldn't be completely devastated if we're not that high either. That final piece could also potentially come in free agency, we've got a ton of cap space and players are going to play with Ja, would love to see us go hard after someone like Ingram. 

Re: the game - Ja, Brandon Clarke, and Brooks are pure dogs, guys you want in the trenches with you. JJJ has always been much better the last few games, hope he keeps it up and keeps playing with confidence. 

I don't think it matters a lot whether we're 6th or convey. In fact it's probably better to convey than draft 6th. I don't know how many deep it goes but I'd want to pick 1st through 3rd and convey. 

13 minutes ago, Parsons_Refund said:

Good.  No prospect in this draft is as good as Cade Cunningham Jalen Green or Terrence Clarke besides Edwards

I like Evan Mobley.  I saw him and his bro go against Wiseman and company last year in West Memphis. What a freak show! Great dunks by both Wiseman and Evan. Isaiah Mobley threw one down too!  Evan Mobley could be a really, really good player.  

Some of these “2020 one and dones” might end up in the 2021 draft too.  

I think half our scouts need to look at lottery guys. The other half needs to look at sleepers/2nd Round pick types.  And all of them need to look at tape of 2021 Draft prospects.  

5 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Yup, I was down on Brandon when we drafted him, but he is a hell of a player. Great all around player. 

It's like every time he steps on the floor he's doing something.  Rebounding, blocking shots, running the floor, cleaning up the mess with putbacks underneath,  quick moves to a floater, and he's hitting his threes too!  That three he hit tonight was a big, much needed shot.

Speaking of threes, on the season after tonight:

Hill - 47%

Ja - 44%

Brandon - 43%

Dillon - 38%

Marko - 33%  Marko started the season 1-14 from behind the arc, the last five games he's 8-10.