Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies @ San Antonio Spurs - 11/11/19

On the point of never having all 3 of our top 3 players being good at the same time, I hope that's something we learn. I feel like it's mainly if Ja does well, jaren does not and vice versa. JV has had at least one good game with the other one going off. I guess that's what you get with 2 twenty year olds being the top dogs, they're not going to be consistent anyways. Jenkins needs to do a better job of getting all 3 going. Going iso with JV and Jaren worked at times last night, but we can't rely on that either. Jaren needs to be more of a lob threat (mainly rolling harder to the rim/ setting harder screens). That's the best way for him and Ja to play together. 

Also shoutout to Tyus Jones for bringing the W home.    Having a really good backup PG for duration of Ja's development is already paying dividends.   I do not panic at all when Ja is having a bad game because i now Tyus can pick up the slack.  

1 thing I have noticed is Ja and Tyus are having problems getting JV the ball once he has established a position, he has to give it up most of the time and go get the ball because of a bad entry pass. Then he has to reestablish his position and that is time lost. They're 2 dam short. TJ was ZERO for FIVE from 3 last night and 3-10 overall. He and Ja were like 5-23, the Grizz was very fortunate to win that game.

Coach should have challenged that 4 point play.  Could they have even reversed the call to call a foul on the shooter as well?  Maybe even a flagrant for facial contact?  Asking for a friend.

1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

1 thing I have noticed is Ja and Tyus are having problems getting JV the ball once he has established a position, he has to give it up most of the time and go get the ball because of a bad entry pass. Then he has to reestablish his position and that is time lost. They're 2 dam short. TJ was ZERO for FIVE from 3 last night and 3-10 overall. He and Ja were like 5-23, the Grizz was very fortunate to win that game.

At least we have Slo Mo -- who might be our best passer in some cases.  Maybe HE should be our backup point guard with Tyus getting spot duty.  I like Tyus, but he isn't a deep threat and he got roasted by the Spurs' guards last night.

If we have a 2020 second round pick I think we should look for a tall guard who can pass and space the floor (and help out on defense).  Ja/Tyus is a small point guard rotation.  Dillon/Marko have good size but aren't overly long or athletic as 2 guards/small forwards.

2 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Takes time to build certain chemistry between players. Ja and Tyus don't know exactly where JV likes getting the ball. They'll learn but it will take a few more games. 

2 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

Don't do it...think about hungry children.

Thinking about hungry children is very depressing when you know that there isn't a lot you can do about it. The school systems here feed a lot of children. Why not bet when you know it is a sure thing?

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Takes time to build certain chemistry between players. Ja and Tyus don't know exactly where JV likes getting the ball. They'll learn but it will take a few more games. 

When a guy posts up that is where he usually wants the ball. Last night Tyus almost threw the ball away, it took a great catch for JV to get it so don't give me that. Short guards are limited when it comes to getting the ball where the post up player wants it and it is hard for a 7-3 guy to get down to get the ball.

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

At least we have Slo Mo -- who might be our best passer in some cases.  Maybe HE should be our backup point guard with Tyus getting spot duty.  I like Tyus, but he isn't a deep threat and he got roasted by the Spurs' guards last night.

If we have a 2020 second round pick I think we should look for a tall guard who can pass and space the floor (and help out on defense).  Ja/Tyus is a small point guard rotation.  Dillon/Marko have good size but aren't overly long or athletic as 2 guards/small forwards.

I agree with you on Kyle being a good passer. I like Melton better than Tyus.

4 hours ago, Zappastache said:

Nope, that's Memphis!

Or we're technically 3rd, but if you sort by just "obesity & overweight" and don't take into account their silly "health consequences" and "food and fitness" we are 1st (of course we have good hospitals and food/fitness options, we're a decently-sized city). 

https://wallethub.com/edu/fattest-cities-in-america/10532/

There was a fat naked guy "walking in Memphis" this more in below freezing weather

1 minute ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I agree with you on Kyle being a good passer. I like Melton better than Tyus.

Either way, we need to shore up our perimeter (especially guard) defense.  Jaren and Jonas are getting a bunch of flak for D when our perimeter defensive attack isn't doing so hot.

Kyle might just need to be our FULL TIME backup point guard.  We could have a rotation of Kyle, Dillon, Marko, Clarke, and Bruno off the bench -- which would be nice.  Maybe downshift Tyus Jones to situational backup point guard.  Or just limit his minutes against long/defensive-minded teams.  Slo Mo might need more minutes anyway.  He is THE TEMPO KING and can make plays in different ways.  If he can knock down some corner jumpers then he is gonna be another one of our X Factors this year.  

25 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

When a guy posts up that is where he usually wants the ball. Last night Tyus almost threw the ball away, it took a great catch for JV to get it so don't give me that. Short guards are limited when it comes to getting the ball where the post up player wants it and it is hard for a 7-3 guy to get down to get the ball.

Have you ever played basketball at this level? Are you making statements based on limited examples?

There is a reason people who know say the PG position is the most difficult in the NBA. Don't confuse a single bad pass and a recurring issue. As the players get more and more comfortable the passes will improve and the knowledge of where and when to make passes will become sharper. 

I suggest you relax, give the team time to gel and understand it's a lot harder in real life than it appears on TV. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Have you ever played basketball at this level? Are you making statements based on limited examples?

There is a reason people who know say the PG position is the most difficult in the NBA. Don't confuse a single bad pass and a recurring issue. As the players get more and more comfortable the passes will improve and the knowledge of where and when to make passes will become sharper. 

I suggest you relax, give the team time to gel and understand it's a lot harder in real life than it appears on TV. 

You must've not been watching closely, both of them have had trouble getting it to a 7-3 guy, I don't recall DW or MC having that trouble last year. It would seem to me that when a guy is overplaying on 1 side you just fake the pass to that side and let the receiver spin off the other way and head for the goal for a lob. 

1 minute ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You must've not been watching closely, both of them have had trouble getting it to a 7-3 guy, I don't recall DW or MC having that trouble last year. It would seem to me that when a guy is overplaying on 1 side you just fake the pass to that side and let the receiver spin off the other way and head for the goal for a lob. 

JV isn't 7-3 and he got a lot of passes in cleanly. Please relax and give the players time to work together and learn each other's games. Morant has played a total of 9 NBA games. Conley has played 13 seasons. Conley was not loved or respected on these boards the first few years he was on the team. Perhaps you are an amazing player and could walk out on the court and perform at a near all-star level immediately but Morant and Jones are learning a new system and it takes a little time to get the bugs worked out. 

No I couldn't, I'm not a pro BUT they should be able to do simple things like pass a ball. I DO know that most of those players are very good at taking away the ball from a player but it makes it harder when you are shorter than the guy guarding you. Strange but I don't remember DW having that problem.

1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

No I couldn't, I'm not a pro BUT they should be able to do simple things like pass a ball. I DO know that most of those players are very good at taking away the ball from a player but it makes it harder when you are shorter than the guy guarding you. Strange but I don't remember DW having that problem.

I might be misunderstanding but I thought it meant more along the lines of HOW to get the big man the ball where he feels the most comfortable dealing with it... like up high for a fade away / baby hook where he catches it high - keeps it high

or - a pocket pass where he can get it off the bounce andmake a quick move...

a lob - JV just doesn't strike me as a high flier though - he is the best making power moves through defenders towards the hoop ...(to me)

or even a couple of dribbles to free the next guy for a hockey assist...

“I definitely expressed to (Jenkins) I was in a funk. It’s not something you just magically change. He expressed to me, ‘you just got to keep focusing on things that are important’, coming in, your work habits and working hard every day, and I agree with him.” - @Jaren Jackson Jr.

1 hour ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I might be misunderstanding but I thought it meant more along the lines of HOW to get the big man the ball where he feels the most comfortable dealing with it... like up high for a fade away / baby hook where he catches it high - keeps it high

or - a pocket pass where he can get it off the bounce andmake a quick move...

a lob - JV just doesn't strike me as a high flier though - he is the best making power moves through defenders towards the hoop ...(to me)

or even a couple of dribbles to free the next guy for a hockey assist...

JV is not the most agile guy on the team, he's a lot like Gasol, he needs 1 dribble then go, not 2. What I was talking about was him in the low post, last night Tyus gave him a pass practically on the floor and he had to reach out just about as far as he could, he was off balance, had to reposition himself then try to make a move. If the passer make the fake good enough, the guy will usually go for the steal and it wouldn't have to be a lob over the goal. 1 other thing that peeves me, nobody tries to draw 3 point fouls.

26 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

JV is not the most agile guy on the team, he's a lot like Gasol, he needs 1 dribble then go, not 2. What I was talking about was him in the low post, last night Tyus gave him a pass practically on the floor and he had to reach out just about as far as he could, he was off balance, had to reposition himself then try to make a move. If the passer make the fake good enough, the guy will usually go for the steal and it wouldn't have to be a lob over the goal. 1 other thing that peeves me, nobody tries to draw 3 point fouls.

You're making an awfully big deal about one pass.  You're not being overly critical of the guy who replaced your man love after he moved to Dallas, are you?  It's just one pass and we're only 10 games into the season.  Be patient.  I'm pretty sure they will get better at it.