Sign in to follow this  
bhoyal

Length of contracts

If this new annual every year "just tank" crappola continues, won't the draft picks from the early "just tank" be free agents or almost free agents at the end in three or four more years of this BS or however long this is going to take?  How long are the contracts for JJJ and Morant?  Or is this like the "Major League" movie where the new owner wants to move the team?  Because at the current rate, 18 wins this season is the best scenario and that is not a very good scenario and I'm not sure 18 wins is even very realistic right now.

52 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

If this new annual every year "just tank" crappola continues, won't the draft picks from the early "just tank" be free agents or almost free agents at the end in three or four more years of this BS or however long this is going to take?  How long are the contracts for JJJ and Morant?  Or is this like the "Major League" movie where the new owner wants to move the team?  Because at the current rate, 18 wins this season is the best scenario and that is not a very good scenario and I'm not sure 18 wins is even very realistic right now.

I said we would win 23 games this year

We have JJJ locked down for 2 more years and Ja 3, but I believe as the team that drafted them we have all the advantages on resigning their second contracts.

My hopes........

A third straight really good lottery pick, not to mention Clarke seems to be a huge steal.

A bunch of cap space, and the possibility of players wanting to play with these guys.

Next year could be very exciting.

2 hours ago, Jetfixer said:

We have JJJ locked down for 2 more years and Ja 3, but I believe as the team that drafted them we have all the advantages on resigning their second contracts.

My hopes........

A third straight really good lottery pick, not to mention Clarke seems to be a huge steal.

A bunch of cap space, and the possibility of players wanting to play with these guys.

Next year could be very exciting.

I thought that was what most people said about Ja.

This constant mentioning of moving the team is baseless and useless. Appreciate what we have right now. Our players will be RFAs and we will be able to match any offer that is made to them. We can also offer additional years to a player's contract. What's the point of hand wringing about 2 and 3 years from now? Everyone knew this would be a garbage year, and yes we want to develop a winning culture, but it doesn't happen over night. This year is about development and building winning habits. Chances are very good we get another top 6 pick this year, and maybe we'll luck into someone really talented. We have a very good outlook. Just enjoy it.

6 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I thought that was what most people said about Ja.

If you’re not excited about Ja, you definitely should give up.

I don't think the team has any intention of being bad next year, especially if the pick isn't conveyed. That doesn't mean they wont be bad but I don't think it will be a tanking season.

I heard from a credible source that if JJJ doesn't average 9+ rebounds this year Pera will be looking to move the team to Tulsa in 2022

5 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

I heard from a credible source that if JJJ doesn't average 9+ rebounds this year Pera will be looking to move the team to Tulsa in 2022

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Jetfixer said:

If you’re not excited about Ja, you definitely should give up.

If you aren't excited about seeing Ja in person you need to find a different sport to follow. He's the real deal. 

8 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

This year is about development and building winning habits. 

I thought that was the mulligan for last season.

15 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

I'm pretty sure the goal for last season, however misguided, was to reach the playoffs, which they spectacularly failed to achieve, hence the new FO and coaching staff.

7 minutes ago, UkGrizz said:

I'm pretty sure the goal for last season, however misguided, was to reach the playoffs, which they spectacularly failed to achieve, hence the new FO and coaching staff.

Image result for Cheers gif

50 minutes ago, UkGrizz said:

Pray to convey!!!

3 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Then why did Chris Wallace get trotted out in front of the media to tell everyone how they thought it was a shallow draft and their goal was to convey the pick to Boston?

1 hour ago, srmjr23 said:

Then why did Chris Wallace get trotted out in front of the media to tell everyone how they thought it was a shallow draft and their goal was to convey the pick to Boston?

If you believe anything front office people in any pro sport say your setting yourself up for failure.

45 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

If you believe anything front office people in any pro sport say your setting yourself up for failure.

The comment was based off the OP making a comment about the previous year's goal being to be about development and winning habits. Surely you can see the quote?

It seems like the goalposts of the "reason" for failure keeps moving to match whatever the current/future level of failure is.

Maybe next season will be the new/improved hybrid "tank for talent AND learn new habits (whatever)" reason for awful-ness.  :(

7 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

The team is being relocated to Memphis, Egypt. You heard it here first.

That's what you get for launching the team in a pyramid. 

1 hour ago, bhoyal said:

It seems like the goalposts of the "reason" for failure keeps moving to match whatever the current/future level of failure is.

Maybe next season will be the new/improved hybrid "tank for talent AND learn new habits (whatever)" reason for awful-ness.  :(

Look around the league - it's almost impossible to not have losing or tanking seasons, especially as a small market team. It's been two seasons and less than 10 games of badness and you're already despondent, when the Grizzlies had 7 straight seasons of making the playoffs prior to that. Being periodically bad is the norm, not the exception. I personally much prefer this season, where we actually have young promising players and a future to look forward to, than some of the treadmill seasons we had towards the end of the Grit'N'Grind era.

15 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Look around the league - it's almost impossible to not have losing or tanking seasons, especially as a small market team. It's been two seasons and less than 10 games of badness and you're already despondent, when the Grizzlies had 7 straight seasons of making the playoffs prior to that. Being periodically bad is the norm, not the exception. I personally much prefer this season, where we actually have young promising players and a future to look forward to, than some of the treadmill seasons we had towards the end of the Grit'N'Grind era.

Last night's terrific road win at SAT does maybe show some light at the end of the tunnel and Crowder's and Slo-Mo's clutch plays in crunch time show you have to keep some veterans around.  You can't do it all with youngsters during a rebuild.

I was very disappointed in the blown call where Tyus got smacked in the mouth.  NBA refs are bogus.