Grizzled Vet

Memphis Hustle/G-League thread

2 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

The thing that is most impressive for me about Josh so far is his assists numbers. I think he's at about 4 per, that's awesome for a wing player and someone who has been deemed inconsistent his whole 

This 

5 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

The thing that is most impressive for me about Josh so far is his assists numbers. I think he's at about 4 per, that's awesome for a wing player and someone who has been deemed inconsistent his whole career. 

Josh had a couple "what were you thinking" passing turnovers, but overall displayed a willingness to share the ball in a team first manner.  I liked what I saw, but I'm not not sure he's gonna "cure what ails you".

13 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

The most exciting part of Josh's development in the G League is the fact that he's shooting 58% from 3 point range on 4.3 attempts per game. That's a huge step up for him, he's also shooting 48% overall, which is decent as well. He won't be the first option on the main squad though, so that could go up. 

A guy who's shooting 58% from 3 should be though.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Josh had a couple "what were you thinking" passing turnovers, but overall displayed a willingness to share the ball in a team first manner.  I liked what I saw, but I'm not not sure he's gonna "cure what ails you".

not sure what that means but I am not expecting Josh to be some Savior.   I just want an athletic defensive wing that can help with secondary playmaking with potential to score.    He fits that today.   Everything else can come with growth and development (again he is only 22y).   

52 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

not sure what that means but I am not expecting Josh to be some Savior.   I just want an athletic defensive wing that can help with secondary playmaking with potential to score.    He fits that today.   Everything else can come with growth and development (again he is only 22y).   

Yeah and he should match up physically with PG, KL,  DDR, a lot of forwards and overshadow the guards.

3 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

A guy who's shooting 58% from 3 should be though.

Ja is the number 1 option, hands down. That's not a slight at Josh, or anyone else on the team. Jaren or JV I guess would be the second option. 

Another big Josh improvement is his effect on winning basketball. Going into the year all the talk was that his net rating was so terrible. He's plus 101 points when he is on the court for the year, or 20.2 per game. So per game, we outscore the other team 20 points while he is on the floor. That's a very good sign imo. 

7 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

It seems that some people are expecting it.  I hope he does well, especially defensively, since that seems to be our greatest need.

12 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

It seems that some people are expecting it.  I hope he does well, especially defensively, since that seems to be our greatest need.

You're probably right, I'm actually hyping him too much on here. In reality, I expect him to just be better than Jae Crowder, mostly because Jae isn't fantastic. Maybe he gets 10-12 points and is our 4th or 5th best starter. 

14 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

You're probably right, I'm actually hyping him too much on here. In reality, I expect him to just be better than Jae Crowder, mostly because Jae isn't fantastic. Maybe he gets 10-12 points and is our 4th or 5th best starter. 

One thing I saw in the Hustle game on quite a number of plays was him setting up behind the arc on the wing or in the corner, and then just standing and waiting.  Not much movement.  I hope that is not by design of the coaching staff.

Don't get me wrong, the potential is definitely there.  I think he needs more discipline in his play to help him become more consistent.

17 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

One thing I saw in the Hustle game on quite a number of plays was him setting up behind the arc on the wing or in the corner, and then just standing and waiting.  Not much movement.  I hope that is not by design of the coaching staff.

Don't get me wrong, the potential is definitely there.  I think he needs more discipline in his play to help him become more consistent.

That's the JJJ superstar position in the Grizz org's offense, don't ya know?!

Yuta also added 24 points and 7 rebounds.  The Hustle website is messed up.  It seems that each time I try the link to the game box score it links me to some videos instead.  I wish they would fix that.

13 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Yuta also added 24 points and 7 rebounds.  The Hustle website is messed up.  It seems that each time I try the link to the game box score it links me to some videos instead.  I wish they would fix that.

I think if you just "X" out of the videos, it will take you to the box score.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:16 PM, Rdk4121 said:

Josh had 25 points (4-8 from 3 again), 12 rebounds, and I think 6 assists. Pretty good, our closest win yet, only one within 10 points. 

HE looked amazing the other night. I haven't heard anything about him being an issue with teammates. Soooo is it time yet?

2 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

HE looked amazing the other night. I haven't heard anything about him being an issue with teammates. Soooo is it time yet?

It better be soon. He is defending well, he's shooting well, he's rebounding well, he's assisting well. Those are all thing we need. 

I desperately want to see Josh come up, start in pace of Jae, and also have Brandon start for JV. A Ja, Dillon, Josh, Brandon, Jaren lineup is our most versatile lineup. It should be excellent defensively, still should rebound pretty well, and all of them can shoot decently. 

Bringing a bench unit of Tyus, Marko/ Grayson, Jae, Kyle, and JV is really good as well. JV could get more clearouts in the post. Getting just a spot up shooter like Ellington or Daniels wouldn't be a bad thing with that lineup, or hope Grayson or Marko actually start playing well. 

It may be just me ,  but, I'm starting to think that we may have stashed Josh away in the G League to allow him to prove himself FOR OTHER TEAMS...

I think we are hoping he does well enough for us to trade for some decent returns.

I have nothing at all to back this up, yet, I am fine with laying it out there.

4 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

It may be just me ,  but, I'm starting to think that we may have stashed Josh away in the G League to allow him to prove himself FOR OTHER TEAMS...

I think we are hoping he does well enough for us to trade for some decent returns.

I have nothing at all to back this up, yet,  I am fine with laying it out there.

Maybe they are keeping out of everyone’s eyes to bring him back cheap next year too.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Maybe they are keeping out of everyone’s eyes to bring him back cheap next year too.

That's possible, and what I hope to be true. This team could use an extra jolt of energy.