Grizzled Vet

Memphis Hustle/G-League thread

9 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Sure, send Guduric down when his confidence and comfort are just starting to get there   - and just kill it.

39 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Really!!?  You would make all your decisions based on the last game's performance?  That's a nice recipe for disaster.

You could say the exact same thing against him. He's had one good game, and apparently that's enough to make him very good and unable to criticize. He's not good, but if he could at least make 3s consistently he'd be better. Let him take 10 a game in the G league. Mitchell torched him last game. 

19 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

You could say the exact same thing against him. He's had one good game, and apparently that's enough to make him very good and unable to criticize. He's not good, but if he could at least make 3s consistently he'd be better. Let him take 10 a game in the G league. Mitchell torched him last game. 

He had one very good game.  He was showing improvement before that.  As for Mitchell "torching" him, you're talking about a rookie who is not known for defense guarding a budding superstar.  Anyone with a brain would expect that.  What is he going to learn in the G-League that he hasn't already learned playing in a better league in Europe?  He needs to stay with the Grizzlies.

26 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

He had one very good game.  He was showing improvement before that.  As for Mitchell "torching" him, you're talking about a rookie who is not known for defense guarding a budding superstar.  Anyone with a brain would expect that.  What is he going to learn in the G-League that he hasn't already learned playing in a better league in Europe?  He needs to stay with the Grizzlies.

He's terrible dude, get over it. If he can hit the 3 consistently, then he's decent maybe. Obviously can't really defend at this level. That's what he needs to learn. I'd much rather see what Konchar gives us. 

9 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

He's terrible dude, get over it. If he can hit the 3 consistently, then he's decent maybe. Obviously can't really defend at this level. That's what he needs to learn. I'd much rather see what Konchar gives us. 

So you've determined he's terrible after 12 games in limited minutes.  Though he had a bad night against UTA do you realize that he was shooting 73% from the field in the five previous games?  If you want to go back seven games it's still 64%.  He knows how to handle the ball and he knows how to move without the ball.  I'm pretty sure the FO knew he wasn't going to be a great defender when they signed him.  I'm glad you're not running this team. 

Guduric has skills. Just want to keep throwing that out there that Im on his team from day one.  He also put together 5 reasonably solid games in a row before Friday, idk what yall talking about one game.

7 pts, 4 assists

6 pts, 2/3 threes

15 pts, 4 assists

5 pts, 4 assists

17 pts, 4/6 threes

18/30 FG, 8/13 from three in those 5 games

Idk seems like he is worth a shot at seeing if these results are real.

15 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Guduric has skills. Just want to keep throwing that out there that Im on his team from day one.  He also put together 5 reasonably solid games in a row before Friday, idk what yall talking about one game.

7 pts, 4 assists

6 pts, 2/3 threes

15 pts, 4 assists

5 pts, 4 assists

17 pts, 4/6 threes

Exactly.  I don't see the G-League being any good to him.  He's been a professional basketball player for a few years.  What we need to find out is if the skills he has will translate to the NBA level.

22 minutes ago, Dwash said:

7 pts, 4 assists

6 pts, 2/3 threes

15 pts, 4 assists

5 pts, 4 assists

17 pts, 4/6 threes

He's a net negative on both sides of the ball. This is just scrub love. He's not the worst player I've ever seen as a grizzly, but he's not good either. He can create a shot for himself better than expected, but his value is still the 3 ball, which he isn't great at yet. If he starts hitting those at a Brooks kennel efficiency, then he is way more valuable. 

55 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'd much rather see what Konchar gives us. 

Konchar might be a nice fit next to Ja. He passes up too many shots though.  Ideally he would be an effective, low usage rotation shooting guard for us.  

If Konchar and Josh Jackson have chemistry then that is a good sign . We could have a few lineups with those two plus Ja/Jaren/Clarke.

If we called up Josh and Konchar then I guess we would have to bring some people down to the Hustle.  Marko would be a candidate.  I guess Bruno would be another (but we would be very thin up front).  

guduric deserves a chance like all the guards/wings do.  he's been a pro since he was like 17/18; much longer than dillon, allen, or melton so it was disappointing to see him so terrible to start the season.  i will continue to cut the other guys alot more slack than him.  his best game was encouraging against charlotte, but they also played absolutely zero defense against him and anyone else in that game.  it may as well have just been shooting practice.  utah showed real nba defense and clamped him up, not to mention that mitchell absolutely abused him on the defensive side.  he's got skills for sure though, no doubt.  it's too much of a logjam right now and all these guys have game/skills; don't really know what the FO is going to do.  ideally jackson pans out and you can have a SF + SG rotation of jackson/dillon (dillon would feast against 2nd units and i think projects more as a SF) + allen/guduric.  meaning that they've traded away crowder, hill, iggy.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Really!!?  You would make all your decisions based on the last game's performance?  That's a nice recipe for disaster.

I think that game killed the confidence he had built up from the prior game. You got 2 guys in the D-League shooting over 50%, why not let them have a shot?

4 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

But he took the shots. Before he would fake and travel. Baby steps.

It would be better if he had traveled, that way they would've had to take the ball out of bounds, with a missed shot they just grab the ball and go, you know?

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

He's a net negative on both sides of the ball. This is just scrub love. He's not the worst player I've ever seen as a grizzly, but he's not good either. He can create a shot for himself better than expected, but his value is still the 3 ball, which he isn't great at yet. If he starts hitting those at a Brooks kennel efficiency, then he is way more valuable. 

12 games in?  You're silly.  ALL rookies take time to adjust, even the high draft picks.  Did you want to send Ja down to the G-League after he shot 3-13 and 2-12 in two consecutive games?  His defense has been as bad as Marko's.  Marko will steadily improve as the season goes along.

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

If we called up Josh and Konchar then I guess we would have to bring some people down to the Hustle.  Marko would be a candidate.  I guess Bruno would be another (but we would be very thin up front).  

You don't have to send anyone down to bring someone up.

45 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I think that game killed the confidence he had built up from the prior game. You got 2 guys in the D-League shooting over 50%, why not let them have a shot?

If Jenkins and the FO want to bring someone up, fine.  I don't think Marko's 0-fer against Utah killed his confidence.  I'm sure it isn't the first time he, or any other NBA player had a bad shooting night.  He will put that game in the rearview and be thankful that we won, and move forward.

8 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

It seems like between the Grizz roster and the Hustle roster we have a bunch of young guys with some potential.  

Maybe with potential to be rotation role players, probably not much else.

3 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Konchar might be a nice fit next to Ja. He passes up too many shots though.  Ideally he would be an effective, low usage rotation shooting guard for us.  

If Konchar and Josh Jackson have chemistry then that is a good sign . We could have a few lineups with those two plus Ja/Jaren/Clarke.

I agree. I think Konchar would be a good fit on the second unit, really where Marko is now. He would essentially give us what Marko gives us but with better defensive and rebounding. Not a great shooter yet, but similar to Marko with distributing. 

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

12 games in?  You're silly.  ALL rookies take time to adjust, even the high draft picks.  Did you want to send Ja down to the G-League after he shot 3-13 and 2-12 in two consecutive games?  His defense has been as bad as Marko's.  Marko will steadily improve as the season goes along.

No, Ja actually effects the game in a lot more ways than scoring to. He runs the offense. Marko is a decent secondary ball handler, but that's not near the effect that Ja has. Marko is 4 years older and has already played professionally like you pointed out. The expectation has to be raised for him (relative to his position on the team, not to Ja).

I initially wanted to send Marko down just to get acclimated to speed of the NBA.   The faster closeouts really seemed to affect him taking shots.      Now that he is starting to adjust and launch the 3s.   I no longer see i need to.   

Konchar looks like he could be a good Grayson replacement next season as another versatile/glue wing.   BUT he needs to use the G-League to hone his 3pt shooting skills.   He doesn't nearly take enough. 

BTW on a sad note.   My Yuta dreams have come to an end.    He has the speed and agility to play in NBA but due to inability to shoot consistently and age.   I don't see him ever becoming a player that can crack an NBA rotation. 

25 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I initially wanted to send Marko down just to get acclimated to speed of the NBA.   The faster closeouts really seemed to affect him taking shots.      Now that he is starting to adjust and launch the 3s.   I no longer see i need to.   

Konchar looks like he could be a good Grayson replacement next season as another versatile/glue wing.   BUT he needs to use the G-League to hone his 3pt shooting skills.   He doesn't nearly take enough. 

BTW on a sad note.   My Yuta dreams have come to an end.    He has the speed and agility to play in NBA but due to inability to shoot consistently and age.   I don't see him ever becoming a player that can crack an NBA rotation. 

He's perfect in garbage time this season.:lol:

4 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I mean if he is a rookie giving you 5 positive offensive games in a row, what else do you want? Yeah he isnt going to be a lockdown defender. I have seen a million suggeestions for Davis Bertans, Joe Harris, Bodgan Bodganovoc and Malike Beasley.on this board. All of these guys are below average to terrible defenders looking for 8 figure a year deals. So why not give a guy who is showing flashes of being an offensive player on a 2.75 million dollar deal a legit chance?

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Maybe with potential to be rotation role players, probably not much else.

I'd bet that 1 of them would be more than a rotational player if given the opportunity. Probably be like Lionel and Austin.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

I mean if he is a rookie giving you 5 positive offensive games in a row, what else do you want? Yeah he isnt going to be a lockdown defender. I have seen a million suggeestions for Davis Bertans, Joe Harris, Bodgan Bodganovoc and Malike Beasley.on this board. All of these guys are below average to terrible defenders looking for 8 figure a year deals. So why not give a guy who is showing flashes of being an offensive player on a 2.75 million dollar deal a legit chance?

Yeah 1-9 for 2 points is really driving home that point. Because he's not good, they're all significantly better on offense than he is. That's why.