Grizzled Vet

Memphis Hustle/G-League thread

For those who have watched some Hustle games, how has Porter looked?  

Based on his need to regularly rest, I'm not encouraged, but have there been signs that he might really be good or is he just taking up a roster spot that could be going to someone else right now (or both, I suppose)?

26 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Based on his need to regularly rest, I'm not encouraged, but have there been signs that he might really be good or is he just taking up a roster spot that could be going to someone else right now (or both, I suppose)?

He looks ok to good, imo. Not starting, so have to adjust for playing against back up G-League players.  Last game his best so far,  Porter played 19 minutes and was 5-7 from the field, 2-3 from three, 14 points, 5 rebounds with 3 blocks. It's G-League, so sometimes you have AAU-type stats. 

He's moving around pretty well, and appears healthy. If he's not initiating a set from the top of the key and playing pick and roll, he usually spots up in the corner waiting for a kick out pass for a corner three. Fits the type Taylor and the FO seem to want, bigs who can pass and shoot. 

He had a good defensive play on Jarrett Jack with the Hustle down 3 in the last minute of the game. Stayed in front of Jack and blocked his shot. Hustle couldn't take advantage. 

37 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

He looks like someone who could have went on a two way for this rehab year I’m not sure why he got an actual roster spot

3 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

He looks like someone who could have went on a two way for this rehab year I’m not sure why he got an actual roster spot

I agree. Grizz obviously many times already this season could have used a healthy body in the 15th spot. Repeating, but who exactly did Kleiman think the Grizz were bidding against last March when Jontay signed a two-way and then again in November when Jontay got the roster spot?

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

I agree. Grizz obviously many times already this season could have used a healthy body in the 15th spot. Repeating, but who exactly did Kleiman think the Grizz were bidding against last March when Jontay signed a two-way and then again in November when Jontay got the roster spot?

That’s what I’m wondering I had forgotten all about him when they initially signed him so there’s no way other teams were that interested in him to the point where he needed a full roster spot.

just turned on the TV notice memphis hustle is on TV .Funny see Dusty Hannan playing for the Warriors .  brings back Great memories  seeing Dusty 2019 N.B.A SUMMER league CHAMPS

Just now, The J Crew said:

Hustle on ESPN2 right now. McDermott started. Losing to the Warriors G-League team in the 1st Q. 

McDermott will be out of the league by next season 

6 minutes ago, lions said:

McDermott will be out of the league by next season 

They need to waive him there are at least 3 better options for a two way on the hustle alone

16 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

They need to waive him there are at least 3 better options for a two way on the hustle alone

Ja's little buddy Shaq. Gillespie. Who is your 3rd?

Our G-League team blows. 3-6 and now down 42-21 in the early 2nd quarter. Oh well, back to work. 

I don’t like how they put the team together this year it also sucks that the two way players for the Grizz aren’t any good so they don’t get to benefit from them like previous years

6 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Ja's little buddy Shaq. Gillespie. Who's is your 3rd?

Boatwright

10 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Yeah. I'm 50-50 on him. Takes a lot of bad shots, imo. But he has been productive. 

He’s a gunner for sure but he’s the type that can hit 5+ threes a game easily 

3 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Our G-League team blows. 3-6 and now down 42-21 in the early 2nd quarter. Oh well, back to work. 

And yet they almost beat the G League Ignite but we shot really well and the Mavs pick (Tyrell Terry) gave us a fighting chance.  

4 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

And yet they almost beat the G League Ignite but we shot really well and the Mavs pick (Tyrell Terry) gave us a fighting chance.  

Yeah. Perhaps I overreacted to our very slow start today. Then again, we are 3-7. 

Yeah. Perhaps I overreacted to our very slow start today. Then again, we are 3-7. 

Gillespie might be a future NBA player but the rest of the guys look like 2 way guys at best.  Not sure why the Mavs don’t just call up Tyrell Terry.  What good does it do having him on “our” team?

4 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Even in our ‘moral loss’ to the Ignite, our best guy is under contract with the Mavs and the rest of our roster looked unathletic.  When our 3’s aren’t falling I can see how things could get ugly quickly.  Gillespie is a great rebounder but is not explosive and can’t shoot.  

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Even in our ‘moral loss’ to the Ignite, our best guy is under contract with the Mavs and the rest of our roster looked unathletic.  When our 3’s aren’t falling I can see how things could get ugly quickly.  Gillespie is a great rebounder but is not explosive and can’t shoot.  

Yea he just seems like a high energy guy but he does lack some explosiveness for sure

20 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

You know i wanted to pick him up during that draft.   He has ideal skillset to develop as a scorer. 

Dude a knucklehead tho and i am not sure our culture is strong enough yet. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

You know i wanted to pick him up during that draft.   He has ideal skillset to develop as a scorer. 

Dude a knucklehead tho and i am not sure our culture is strong enough yet. 

Imma just go with the it’s the gleague excuse and pretend he’s not that good

1 minute ago, Ndq0327 said:

Imma just go with the it’s the gleague excuse and pretend he’s not that good

id rather enter him into the "Josh Jackson Program" than keeping Porter or McDermott if i am being honest. 

We are literally a scorer away from being a complete team. 

25 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

id rather enter him into the "Josh Jackson Program" than keeping Porter or McDermott if i am being honest. 

We are literally a scorer away from being a complete team. 

The josh Jackson program was unnecessary put him on the big team where he belongs if his off the court issues are too much discipline him if it continues waive him.