Grizzled Vet

Memphis Hustle/G-League thread

On 2/17/2021 at 6:59 PM, Ndq0327 said:

How many do we need we have zero true rim protectors and 3-4 bigs that can pass and shoot 3’s 

You went out and got two bigs that do basically the same thing and also both have injury problems. Everybody doesn’t have to hang around the 3 point line on offense 

Jaren is easily out best rim protector when healthy, so we do have one. I do think that is something we've been missing this year. 

On 2/17/2021 at 7:40 PM, Ndq0327 said:

Come on they already had Porter in the fold the. went and signed Tille two the two way they should have put Porter on. Like I said they got too cute this past off season they don’t need both of them

Longer term, we're only going to keep one of Porter and Tillie, as they are pretty redundant. This is a great year to evaluate them though imo. Porter's contract is either non guaranteed or barely guaranteed so it's not some huge investment. 

9 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Jaren is easily out best rim protector when healthy, so we do have one. I do think that is something we've been missing this year. 

“When healthy” is the thing. A few games here and there ain’t gonna cut it. He hasnt finished a season yet, including being sat in the tourney at MSU and now when the team needs him he’s out a whole year with a meniscus procedure. Can’t count on him to be healthy 

8 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

“When healthy” is the thing. A few games here and there ain’t gonna cut it. He hasnt finished a season yet, including being sat in the tourney at MSU and now when the team needs him he’s out a whole year with a meniscus procedure. Can’t count on him to be healthy 

its the FO that is holding him out not his health.  Every time he got injured the front office held him out much longer than the requirement.  I am not gonna ding Jaren for that. 

57 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

its the FO that is holding him out not his health.  Every time he got injured the front office held him out much longer than the requirement.  I am not gonna ding Jaren for that. 

Yeah, Melton, Justise, and Jaren now have all mentioned that the organization is the one not letting them return early from injury. 

7 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I guess he jumped too high:

We are getting healthy. Only person of consequence that remains out is Jaren. And we have two guys in BC and Kyle who play the 4 well.  We just need to shoot decent from the 3, and we have a good chance to finish .500.

And Taylor needs to figure out and shorten the rotations. Some guys just won't get the play, it's life. Gorgui and Gorgui and 1 more. 

27 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Thank you Jesus for your decision to transfer McDermott to the Gleague. In your infinite wisdom you saw fit to have him play far more minutes than I would have ever expected, and who can question your judgment? 

32 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Dang McDermott was really impressing me! 

12 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Thank you Jesus for your decision to transfer McDermott to the Gleague. In your infinite wisdom you saw fit to have him play far more minutes than I would have ever expected, and who can question your judgment? 

I feel you on that hopefully we are close to having a full roster 

52 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Dang McDermott was really impressing me! 

No sarcasm detected but my meter is off.  Yeah I thought he looked solid last night.  Inspired even.  Almost took a nasty spill.  He did could have been worse. That actually happened to David Thompson once in the Tournament.  Matt Barnes vibes are still strong with Sean McDermott.  I would have tried some McDermott/Winslow wing combos especially with the rest of our wings in and out of the lineup.  

On 2/20/2021 at 11:28 AM, Rdk4121 said:

Longer term, we're only going to keep one of Porter and Tillie, as they are pretty redundant. This is a great year to evaluate them though imo. Porter's contract is either non guaranteed or barely guaranteed so it's not some huge investment. 

i think they are a little different in their skill sets offensively, but I'm not sure it matters because they are nearly identical in their (in)ability to stay healthy.  

There is no reason to hold out Tillie if he's healthy right now, and he and Porter have combined for 56 total minutes played this year.

I would love to see Tillie get some playing time 

9 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I would love to see Tillie get some playing time 

I would too.  Stretch big with great advanced stats.  Looks like our big man rotation is set (once Jaren gets back).  Jaren/Jonas/Clarke/Tillman (with Kyle also getting some big man burn).  So who is gonna be our 5th big?  

17 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

He's been pretty good 

Look like Bennie Boatwright has finally gotten his legs underneath him after coming back from his injury. He scored 21 today after scoring 26 on Monday. He shot 11/25 (44%) from three in those two games. That's really what he brings, but he's a fairly capable defender and a pretty decent rebounder. He's one I certainly hope we call up this year. 

Porter also had a good game today. He had 14 points and 5 rebounds on 5-7 shooting. Hopefully good signs going forward. 

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Look like Bennie Boatwright has finally gotten his legs underneath him after coming back from his injury. He scored 21 today after scoring 26 on Monday. He shot 11/25 (44%) from three in those two games. That's really what he brings, but he's a fairly capable defender and a pretty decent rebounder. He's one I certainly hope we call up this year. 

Porter also had a good game today. He had 14 points and 5 rebounds on 5-7 shooting. Hopefully good signs going forward. 

I like Boatwright I really need to see Tille play cause I wouldn’t mind giving Boatwright that two way he has looked good in every game I’ve seen. 
They said in the game highlights that Porter is an every other game player. I don’t like that at all and I doesn’t justify him having a roster spot on an NBA team. Having both him and Tille just irks me especially when there are guys down there that could actually be decent end of the bench/two way guys. 

11 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Isaiah Todd hit a triple.  Looks good.

I like Todd a lot I think he will be better than where he gets drafted

11 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I like Todd a lot I think he will be better than where he gets drafted

He’s really a player I want to work out.  Great frame and looks like a solid athlete.  Nice looking shot.  Having as many bigs as possible that can shoot would really help.  Might come down to workouts and interviews with him.

7 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

He’s really a player I want to work out.  Great frame and looks like a solid athlete.  Nice looking shot.  Having as many bigs as possible that can shoot would really help.  Might come down to workouts and interviews with him.

I like him cause he’s similar to Boatwright Porter and Tille but he’s younger doesn’t have the injury concerns and has more potential. I really think he could develop a MPjr type game 

10 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

I like Boatwright I really need to see Tille play cause I wouldn’t mind giving Boatwright that two way he has looked good in every game I’ve seen. 
They said in the game highlights that Porter is an every other game player. I don’t like that at all and I doesn’t justify him having a roster spot on an NBA team. Having both him and Tille just irks me especially when there are guys down there that could actually be decent end of the bench/two way guys. 

If you mean that Porter actually just plays every other game, then yes. Part of his rehab seems to be resting every other game right now as he ramps up conditioning and making sure he doesn't suffer any setbacks. 

But I'm sure his minutes will continue to go up, and eventually will get to playing every game.