Grizzled Vet

Memphis Hustle/G-League thread

On 1/2/2020 at 7:18 PM, Rdk4121 said:

The Undefeated’s Marc J. Spears spoke with Grizzlies forward Josh Jackson, currently logging time with Memphis’ G League affiliate, the Memphis Hustle. “The last time I had fun like this was maybe AAU,” Jackson, taken No. 4 in the 2017 draft by the Suns, told Spears. “Don’t feel bad for me. It’s an opportunity. I am just thankful I get to play basketball.” Jackson is averaging 20.4 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 4.3 APG and 2.6 made triples through 18 Hustle bouts.

It seems a little off that it isn't even being 'rumored' that there is any interest AT ALL in Josh Jackson...

1 hour ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

It seems a little off that it isn't even being 'rumored' that there is any interest AT ALL in Josh Jackson...

I don’t think Josh Jackson is in any conversation at all outside of the Grizzlies fandom and media. Spears must be the first national journalist that has mentioned him since the trade.

3 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

It sounded like Bruno Caboclo got hurt in the G League game.  Is that true?

Yes, may be out for tonight's Grizzlies game.

He had a solid game going...

41 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

I feel like Josh would fit right in with this group. Call him up already.

nah, the chemistry is too **** good and they're winning.  don't add more ingredients when you don't need to.

36 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

nah, the chemistry is too **** good and they're winning.  don't add more ingredients when you don't need to.

I get what you are saying, but Kyle isn't really giving us much of anything right now. We need someone with length and athleticism to help defend and make plays on defense, and maybe be able to knock down a 3 and get to the rim and finish. Jae gives you pretty good minutes as a starter, Hill brings decent playmaking, good rebounding, and above average defense. 

Kyle isn't great at defending SFs at this point, he's far better at guarding PFs. His effectiveness on defense, while still good, is no where near where it has been in the past. He also still can't shoot, from really anywhere on the floor. I think we just need to phase him out and bring up Josh. 

Maybe it just means more time for Allen and Melton like tonight. Once Jae is healthy, all of Kyle's minutes and some of Hill's are gone if we continue to let Melton and Allen play more. 

7 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I get what you are saying, but Kyle isn't really giving us much of anything right now. We need someone with length and athleticism to help defend and make plays on defense, and maybe be able to knock down a 3 and get to the rim and finish. Jae gives you pretty good minutes as a starter, Hill brings decent playmaking, good rebounding, and above average defense. 

Kyle isn't great at defending SFs at this point, he's far better at guarding PFs. His effectiveness on defense, while still good, is no where near where it has been in the past. He also still can't shoot, from really anywhere on the floor. I think we just need to phase him out and bring up Josh. 

Maybe it just means more time for Allen and Melton like tonight. Once Jae is healthy, all of Kyle's minutes and some of Hill's are gone if we continue to let Melton and Allen play more. 

there's already a minutes crunch with the young bench guys needing more minutes.  bringing josh up disrupts that especially for a team that is playing so well.  the bolded is exactly what should happen along w/ playing dillon more at SF rather than kyle.  that way dillon is getting closer to 30 min instead of jae, and melton + allen get more minutes.  for more development, melton and allen should be getting 22-25 min/game which has only happened sporadically like last night.  it's clear as day that kyle should not have started last night.  melton or allen should've started at the SG w/ dillon sliding down to jae's SF position.

3 hours ago, grizz09 said:

there's already a minutes crunch with the young bench guys needing more minutes.  bringing josh up disrupts that especially for a team that is playing so well.  the bolded is exactly what should happen along w/ playing dillon more at SF rather than kyle.  that way dillon is getting closer to 30 min instead of jae, and melton + allen get more minutes.  for more development, melton and allen should be getting 22-25 min/game which has only happened sporadically like last night.  it's clear as day that kyle should not have started last night.  melton or allen should've started at the SG w/ dillon sliding down to jae's SF position.

Would Yuta be less disruptive than Josh Jackson?  Not a great shooter but a solid intangibles guy. 

I wish we could have somebody start at small forward who doesn’t even TOUCH the ball — just get in the way on defense and out of the way on offense and leave the touches/shots to Ja/Dillon/Grayson/Melton/Jaren/Jonas/Clarke.  Crowder is averaging 9 shots per game — could we find someone to only take 5 (or fewer) shots per game but still able to start and be effective???

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Would Yuta be less disruptive than Josh Jackson?  Not a great shooter but a solid intangibles guy. 

I wish we could have somebody start at small forward who doesn’t even TOUCH the ball — just get in the way on defense and out of the way on offense and leave the touches/shots to Ja/Dillon/Grayson/Melton/Jaren/Jonas/Clarke.  Crowder is averaging 9 shots per game — could we find someone to only take 5 (or fewer) shots per game but still able to start and be effective???

yuta's got some skills and more ingrained with the team/players than josh.  i wouldn't mind throwing him out there instead of kyle or solo.  I do agree with you about the role of the SF position, but that could person could be melton at SG w/ dillon at SF.  melton has scored more lately, but his best role is as a defensive disruptor and opportunistic transition scorer.  he'd be low maintenance in the starting lineup compared to having dillon/jae both chucking.  could then sub out dillon for grayson and have grayson and melton focus more on scoring.  TJ's got alot of fast/athletic lineups he could use.  my ideal starting group moving forward is ja/melton/dillon/clarke/JJJ.  could also go bigger/more athletic with allen at the SG.  ja/melton/allen/clarke/JJJ also was used last night and they were killing.  can do melton/allen/dillon guard/wing rotation as well.  tyus/melton/dillon, tyus/melton/allen.  so many options.  shooting distribution priority should be 1) ja and jaren, 2) JV and dillon, 3) clarke, allen, melton.  more minutes/shots need to be taken from jae, solo, and kyle so that group #3 can contribute more offensively like they're capable of.

8 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Matt Mooney signed a two way deal with the Cavs. We also waived Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson 

Mooney is a shooter! Cavs got lucky!

23 hours ago, grizz09 said:

my ideal starting group moving forward is ja/melton/dillon/clarke/JJJ.  

That's a great (potential) death lineup no matter who we start -- or even who we close out games with (go with the hot hand!).

Some nights, you could play that lineup for 35 minutes.  Other nights, we either wouldn't have enough size or/and shooting.

I am still starting Jonas.  When that guy gets going it makes things really really difficult for the opposition.

Guessing our long-term "7th man" since he could fit in with several iterations of those core lineups.

Maybe we should start Ja/Grayson/Dillon/Jaren/Jonas for maximum scoring/shooting then bring Melton/Clarke off the bench as our 2 way super-subs.  

Going forward, if Crowder is out (then assuming no transactions) then maybe we should try and start Solo Man at the 3 instead of Kyle Anderson.  Solo Man is a better 3 point shooter and (low usage) floor spacer.  

I wouldn't mind resigning Crowder but as of now he is starting and taking 9 shots per game.  BUT, how much would he be worth if he is coming off the bench and only taking 5 or 6 shots a night (but at both forward spots).  That would be an ideal role for him, but that is worth decidedly less than a full-time starter.

Ja/Melton/Dillon/Clarke/Jaren actually sounds like a perfect unit to CLOSE games.  Then you maximize Jonas by starting him and getting him going early.  Grayson Allen, Kyle, Tyus, Jae, and Bruno would either start or get solid minutes as rotation guys.

If we STARTED those five, then our bench mob would be Tyus, Grayson, Kyle Anderson, Jae Crowder, and JV -- that would be fun, too!  

Wow, those tweaked lineups might actually be more well-rounded.  The first lineup has a bit more defense and athleticism.  The second unit would now have a bit more fire power and toughness (with Crowder and JV).  

On 1/15/2020 at 8:45 PM, Rdk4121 said:

Matt Mooney signed a two way deal with the Cavs. We also waived Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson 

In a shocking turn of events we have reacquired Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson. 

8 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

That's a great (potential) death lineup no matter who we start -- or even who we close out games with (go with the hot hand!).

Some nights, you could play that lineup for 35 minutes.  Other nights, we either wouldn't have enough size or/and shooting.

I am still starting Jonas.  When that guy gets going it makes things really really difficult for the opposition.

Guessing our long-term "7th man" since he could fit in with several iterations of those core lineups.

Maybe we should start Ja/Grayson/Dillon/Jaren/Jonas for maximum scoring/shooting then bring Melton/Clarke off the bench as our 2 way super-subs.  

Going forward, if Crowder is out (then assuming no transactions) then maybe we should try and start Solo Man at the 3 instead of Kyle Anderson.  Solo Man is a better 3 point shooter and (low usage) floor spacer.  

I wouldn't mind resigning Crowder but as of now he is starting and taking 9 shots per game.  BUT, how much would he be worth if he is coming off the bench and only taking 5 or 6 shots a night (but at both forward spots).  That would be an ideal role for him, but that is worth decidedly less than a full-time starter.

Ja/Melton/Dillon/Clarke/Jaren actually sounds like a perfect unit to CLOSE games.  Then you maximize Jonas by starting him and getting him going early.  Grayson Allen, Kyle, Tyus, Jae, and Bruno would either start or get solid minutes as rotation guys.

If we STARTED those five, then our bench mob would be Tyus, Grayson, Kyle Anderson, Jae Crowder, and JV -- that would be fun, too!  

Wow, those tweaked lineups might actually be more well-rounded.  The first lineup has a bit more defense and athleticism.  The second unit would now have a bit more fire power and toughness (with Crowder and JV).  

the ja/allen/dillon backcourt has more size, athleticism (deanthony is a good athlete, but allen is bigger and even more athletic) and scoring potential than ja/melton/dillon.  my only reason for starting melton over allen is that the starting unit otherwise would have enough scoring and allen may actually add too much firepower to the starting unit and will affect usage/shot distribution while simultaenously weakening bench scoring.  if for instance it was tyus starting at PG or jae starting at SF, then allen is better utilized as a starter in that lineup than melton.  melton next to ja/dillon may work better b/c melton's value compared to allen is more on the defensive side of the ball (allen has become no slouch defensively too) while any offense he has started to provide is just a bonus.  although allen in the corner provides alot of space for ja.  great option either way, but at the end of the day, they should be the 2 primary SGs with one of them starting next to ja w/ dillon shifting down to SF.   thereby jae's minutes being cut to 15-20 per game and primarily as backup SF.  and recently, i'd probably prefer solo to kyle as he fits the team better offensively.  kyle is too much of a liability offensively.  the other option is to sometime go small like TJ has been doing lately and sometimes playing grayson at SF next to ja/melton or tyus/melton.  dillon is also big/versatile enough to sometimes play PF.  i'm honestly also interested in seeing allen at PG sometimes like he did in preseason as he's a pretty good ball handler and passer.  a big lineup of allen/dillon/clarke/JJJ/JV could be interesting.

Why havent we called up Dusty again to see whats up with him. I don't think his D is that great but he loves to shoot. 

On 1/15/2020 at 2:35 PM, grizz09 said:

yuta's got some skills and more ingrained with the team/players than josh.  i wouldn't mind throwing him out there 

Agreed. He’s been paying his Southaven dues.

3 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

Why havent we called up Dusty again to see whats up with him. I don't think his D is that great but he loves to shoot. 

may not  be quick enough for the n.b.a level 

dusty.  hustle numbers 21.5 pts and he still not called up, may be to slow for n.b.a level 

On 1/14/2020 at 6:11 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

Yes, may be out for tonight's Grizzlies game.

He had a solid game going...

sad to say there no one on that roster that could make a impact on a N.B.A roster  its like a minor leaguer baseball player being called up to M.L.B most of them fail

most of the GREAT N.B.A  players today are one and done 

re: Josh Jackson. I think if he's not traded as filler this season, we are going to see him post All-Star break. The team will have some practices together and it would be the best moment to integrate him into the team's dynamics.