Grizzled Vet

Memphis Hustle/G-League thread

I read yesterday that the Grizz had declined their option on 2J for next year, they also told him if he stayed out of trouble and progressed on the court that they would bring him up to the Grizzlies this year. I don't see them bringing him up any time soon because the more he plays with the Grizz the less likely they will be able to retain him. However they might be able to trade him but I think they blew their chances of having a guy who could've played a major role for the Grizz. I think they made a major mistake in signing Tyus, I would've much rather had Josh.

Just now, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I read yesterday that the Grizz had declined their option on 2J for next year, they also told him if he stayed out of trouble and progressed on the court that they would bring him up to the Grizzlies this year. I don't see them bringing him up any time soon because the more he plays with the Grizz the less likely they will be able to retain him. However they might be able to trade him but I think they blew their chances of having a guy who could've played a major role for the Grizz.

I Wouldn't read too much into the reality of JJ not having his contract picked up. It's most likely simply forcing Jackson to face some reality here. The Grizzlies want him to be mature, behave and contribute down the line but first Jackson has to come to grips with how badly he has been playing, acting and behaving. 

I suspect if he continues his strong play the Grizzlies will bring him up. 

7 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I read yesterday that the Grizz had declined their option on 2J for next year, they also told him if he stayed out of trouble and progressed on the court that they would bring him up to the Grizzlies this year. I don't see them bringing him up any time soon because the more he plays with the Grizz the less likely they will be able to retain him. However they might be able to trade him but I think they blew their chances of having a guy who could've played a major role for the Grizz. I think they made a major mistake in signing Tyus, I would've much rather had Josh.

2019 NBA Free Agency's 10 Best and 10 Worst Contracts so Far

No. 5 Worst: Tyus Jones, Memphis Grizzlies

• Contract: 3 years, $26.4 million ($23.9 million guaranteed)
    Tyus Jones has the makeup of an ideal backup to Ja Morant. He keeps the rock moving, gets into the ball on defense and has shown he can hit set jumpers.
    Time is on Jones' side—he's 23 and on a new team—but his first impressions with the Memphis Grizzlies aren't great. You can't help but wonder if keeping Delon Wright at a similar price point (three years, $28.1 million) would've made more sense.
    Wonky shooting splits are part of the Jones experience. Scoring isn't his first instinct, and he's never been the most dead-eye jump shooter. His current numbers are something worse. He's hitting just 17.9 percent of his threes, including an 18.8 percent clip on standstill treys, and converting 35.4 percent of his looks on drives. His 68.4 percent success rate at the foul line is also a career low.
    What's more, the controlled playmaking Jones strung together during his final season with the Minnesota Timberwolves is nowhere to be found. His turnover rate has jumped by more than six percentage points.
    Young teams are prone to mistakes. The Grizzlies are nothing if not inexperienced. Only the Atlanta Hawks and Chicago Bulls have younger rosters. That matters in the context of everyone's performances, including Jones' struggles.
    But it doesn't fully explain them. Memphis paid him like an established backup point guard. He's yet to meet that bar.
  • https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864293-2019-nba-free-agencys-10-best-and-10-worst-contracts-so-far

22 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

2019 NBA Free Agency's 10 Best and 10 Worst Contracts so Far

No. 5 Worst: Tyus Jones, Memphis Grizzlies

• Contract: 3 years, $26.4 million ($23.9 million guaranteed)
    Tyus Jones has the makeup of an ideal backup to Ja Morant. He keeps the rock moving, gets into the ball on defense and has shown he can hit set jumpers.
    Time is on Jones' side—he's 23 and on a new team—but his first impressions with the Memphis Grizzlies aren't great. You can't help but wonder if keeping Delon Wright at a similar price point (three years, $28.1 million) would've made more sense.
    Wonky shooting splits are part of the Jones experience. Scoring isn't his first instinct, and he's never been the most dead-eye jump shooter. His current numbers are something worse. He's hitting just 17.9 percent of his threes, including an 18.8 percent clip on standstill treys, and converting 35.4 percent of his looks on drives. His 68.4 percent success rate at the foul line is also a career low.
    What's more, the controlled playmaking Jones strung together during his final season with the Minnesota Timberwolves is nowhere to be found. His turnover rate has jumped by more than six percentage points.
    Young teams are prone to mistakes. The Grizzlies are nothing if not inexperienced. Only the Atlanta Hawks and Chicago Bulls have younger rosters. That matters in the context of everyone's performances, including Jones' struggles.
    But it doesn't fully explain them. Memphis paid him like an established backup point guard. He's yet to meet that bar.
  • https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864293-2019-nba-free-agencys-10-best-and-10-worst-contracts-so-far

Well thank God it isn't just me.

22 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I Wouldn't read too much into the reality of JJ not having his contract picked up. It's most likely simply forcing Jackson to face some reality here. The Grizzlies want him to be mature, behave and contribute down the line but first Jackson has to come to grips with how badly he has been playing, acting and behaving. 

I suspect if he continues his strong play the Grizzlies will bring him up. 

As bad as the Grizz needs help now, I see no reason to bring him up with 2 weeks left to go in the season. 

Speaking about the G-league and the Hustle, i wonder if they wouldn't have better attendance if they had a location out east of Memphis. Seeing the attendance some of the other teams are having and what the Hustle is, is pretty pathetic. I would drive down there if they had a location that was closer to me but Southhaven would just about make it twice as long driving time. I wonder how Germantown' gym would compare with the place they are currently playing.

8 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

As bad as the Grizz needs help now, I see no reason to bring him up with 2 weeks left to go in the season. 

As bad as the team is with or without Jackson, I see no reason to bring him up now just to win enough games to not have a first round draft pick.

Nobody said anything about two weeks left in the season.

9 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Speaking about the G-league and the Hustle, i wonder if they wouldn't have better attendance if they had a location out east of Memphis. Seeing the attendance some of the other teams are having and what the Hustle is, is pretty pathetic. I would drive down there if they had a location that was closer to me but Southhaven would just about make it twice as long driving time. I wonder how Germantown' gym would compare with the place they are currently playing.

Southaven really isnt that far. I graduated from horn lake which is its neighbouring city. Memphis travel isnt really that bad. I used to think it was but living in Nashville now the commute is much easier in Memphis.  People are just lazy and take for granted what they have. 

Josh's offensive rating is 114 and his defensive rating is 92. For comparison (and obviously the competition level isn't close to the same), that would be 2nd only behind Brandon Clarke on offense and easily the best on defense (second closest is Melton at 106). Again, different competition, but very encouraging. 

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

Josh's offensive rating is 114 and his defensive rating is 92. For comparison (and obviously the competition level isn't close to the same), that would be 2nd only behind Brandon Clarke on offense and easily the best on defense (second closest is Melton at 106). Again, different competition, but very encouraging. 

For better comparison, what are Melton’s, Yuta’s , and Konchar’s Ortg and Drtg from their games down there?

2 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

For better comparison, what are Melton’s, Yuta’s , and Konchar’s Ortg and Drtg from their games down there?

Yuta: O- 109 D- 96

Konchar (only 3 Games): O- 106 D-79

Melton (2 Games): O-106 D-89

Uthoff: O-115 D-94

5 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Yuta: O- 109 D- 96

Konchar (only 3 Games): O- 106 D-79

Melton (2 Games): O-106 D-89

Uthoff: O-115 D-94

Thanks, that’s helpful for context. His offensive rating stands out then. Wasn’t thrilled when we made the trade for him, but I’d like to see what he can do on the main roster now. 

54 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Thanks, that’s helpful for context. His offensive rating stands out then. Wasn’t thrilled when we made the trade for him, but I’d like to see what he can do on the main roster now. 

Considering all the injuries, we kind of need him right now. Ja, JV, Kyle, and now Brandon are hurt. 

5 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Considering all the injuries, we kind of need him right now. Ja, JV, Kyle, and now Brandon are hurt. 

JV isn't hurt.  He was ill.  Might be a good time to make Josh active, just in case.

15 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

JV isn't hurt.  He was ill.  Might be a good time to make Josh active, just in case.

I know, but he isn't playing either way. Not that they play the same position anyway. 

I actually think it hurts Josh's case for a call-up with Ja and Clarke out. It's better for him to get the call up and fit into the team rather than come up and try to be the guy.

JASON MARCH NAMED NBA G LEAGUE COACH OF THE MONTH

Memphis, Tenn. – Memphis Hustle head coach Jason March has been named the NBA G League Coach of the Month for November, the league announced today. In his first month as a head coach, March led the Hustle to a league-best 8-0 record, tying for the second-most wins to start a season in league history. The team won its games by an average of 14.3 points per game and won all but one by double digits.

The Hustle have not trailed at the end of any period in its five home games and only four times overall, leading wire-to-wire on three occasions. The combined record of Memphis’ opponents to date is 31-22 with eight of those losses coming against the Hustle.

Memphis leads the league in net rating at 13.1, with the next closest team coming in at 8.6. The team is among the most efficient in the league offensively, leading the league in three-point percentage (.405) while ranking third in scoring (120.1 ppg) and field goal percentage (.485). The Hustle are the only team to rank third or higher in all three categories.

Additionally, Memphis commits the fewest turnovers per game (15.8) while ranking fifth in turnovers forced (21.4). The Hustle also lead the league in points off turnovers (29.6) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.52).  Individually, the Hustle have five players that rank 10th or higher in net rating (min. six games, 20 minutes per game), including the top two (Josh Jackson, Jarrod Uthoff).

1 hour ago, Acehigh718 said:

I actually think it hurts Josh's case for a call-up with Ja and Clarke out. It's better for him to get the call up and fit into the team rather than come up and try to be the guy.

He'd be coming off the bench at the 2 and/or 3 spot, for now at least, so even if he was trying to be "the guy" it'd be with the bench rotation, which needs someone to be "the guy." Tyus, Kyle, Guduric, and Hill will never be that. And that's not a knock against them, I like what they bring, but they aren't go to players. JJ's a better scorer than all of them, a better defender then all of them, with Kyle arguably a man to man exception, a better rebounder, and he's even averaging over 4 assists, so it's not like he's just out for himself. I had no problems with the Grizz starting him out with the Hustle this season, but it's not really making sense to me at this point. Grizz need to call him up and find out whether or not he's a future piece to the puzzle. 

DUSTY HANNAHS NAMED NBA G LEAGUE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Memphis, Tenn. – Memphis Hustle guard Dusty Hannahs has been named the NBA G League Player of the Week for games played between Monday, November 25 and Sunday, December 1. Hannahs is the second player in Hustle franchise history to receive the honor (Ivan Rabb; Dec. 10, 2018).

In two games last week, Hannahs led the team in scoring in wins over the previously undefeated Maine Red Claws and Oklahoma City Blue, spearheading an offensive attack that averaged 126.0 points per game. The Arkansas product averaged 30.0 points, 3.0 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.0 steals while shooting 60.6 percent from the field (20-33 FG), 63.6 percent from three-point range (14-22 3P) and a perfect 4-of-4 from the free throw line. 

Hannahs was one of two players who, in multiple games, averaged at least 30.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists and was the only player who also shot above 60 percent both overall and from long range. The third year pro also committed zero turnovers in 72 minutes of action.

For the season, Hannahs averages 21.3 points, 3.1 assists and 2.1 rebounds while shooting 50.0 percent from the field, 50.9 percent from beyond the arc and 81.3 percent from the free throw line. Additionally, Hannahs leads the league in offensive rating (min. six games played, 20 minutes per game) at 120.1 and ranks eighth in net rating under the same parameters.

its seems to me josh Jackson will not be a part of the Memphis grizzlies this years , he seems to be gone, one bright side , grizzlies win summer league title and are on pace to win G league title GO HUSTLE 

4 hours ago, lions said:

its seems to me josh Jackson will not be a part of the Memphis grizzlies this years , he seems to be gone, one bright side , grizzlies win summer league title and are on pace to win G league title GO HUSTLE 

What makes you think that?