I❤️JV

What's wrong with Jaren?

10 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It hasn't been said outright but there have been side comments that they were surprised he didn't do more training. 

You have to understand that the team can't require someone to do any workouts in the off-season.  They can't even say they wish he had done more work. So you have to kind of read between the lines and read facial expressions. If you ask them directly they will not say anything critical of his off-season work. It's against the rules. 

So it is my conjecture based off the feeling I get from talking to insiders and what I have seen on the court. 

I believe you 100%...and even if i did not...i have to agree with you.

Just now, I❤️JV said:

I believe you 100%...and even if i did not...i have to agree with you.

You don't have to agree or believe. It's just what I believe. I am trying to be as honest as I can. No one has expressly said that Jaren didn't work hard enough this season. It's just the impression I have received from what has been said to me off the record. 

12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It hasn't been said outright but there have been side comments that they were surprised he didn't do more training. 

You have to understand that the team can't require someone to do any workouts in the off-season.  They can't even say they wish he had done more work. So you have to kind of read between the lines and read facial expressions. If you ask them directly they will not say anything critical of his off-season work. It's against the rules. 

So it is my conjecture based off the feeling I get from talking to insiders and what I have seen on the court. 

That's interesting - totally understand they can't outright say anything under the CBA, but the fact there've been some side comments or less-than-enthusiastic vibes coming from them is worrying. I previously thought you were just going off of your own interpretation of these first few games, but it's a bummer to think that Jaren might've not put in the work this offseason. I don't have a problem at all with the media appearances (in fact, I think they're valuable in putting the franchise on the map), just don't think they should be mutually exclusive from putting in the necessary work over the summer to improve.

Still hopeful this is just a small sample size to begin this season and he'll turn it around, but if not, hopefully this season is a wake-up call for him. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

You don't have to agree or believe. It's just what I believe. I am trying to be as honest as I can. No one has expressly said that Jaren didn't work hard enough this season. It's just the impression I have received from what has been said to me off the record. 

From the season he is having it's more likely than not....and if it is true....it's very bad for his future.

1 minute ago, ACGrizz said:

That's interesting - totally understand they can't outright say anything under the CBA, but the fact there've been some side comments or less-than-enthusiastic vibes coming from them is worrying. I previously thought you were just going off of your own interpretation of these first few games, but it's a bummer to think that Jaren might've not put in the work this offseason. I don't have a problem at all with the media appearances (in fact, I think they're valuable in putting the franchise on the map), just don't think they should be mutually exclusive from putting in the necessary work over the summer to improve.

Still hopeful this is just a small sample size to begin this season and he'll turn it around, but if not, hopefully this season is a wake-up call for him. 

I fully expect him to start playing better and have more games like he did against Chicago. I am just disappointed he didn't work harder in the off-season so he wouldn't start the season shooting 40% from the field, 24% from the arc and spotting a 10.24 PER. He'll get better as the season progresses at he gets in better shape, works on his shot and gets comfortable with the new pace. 

2 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

From the season he is having it's more likely than not....and if it is true....it's very bad for his future.

This is where I disagree. Jaren is 20 years old. He's younger than Ja for goodness sake! He got caught up in the hype, the interviews, the hero worship and neglected his game during the off-season. 

I have confidence he will learn from this and improve next year and moving forward. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

This is where I disagree. Jaren is 20 years old. He's younger than Ja for goodness sake! He got caught up in the hype, the interviews, the hero worship and neglected his game during the off-season. 

I have confidence he will learn from this and improve next year and moving forward. 

What is bad for me that  "He got caught up in the hype, the interviews, the hero worship and neglected his game during the off-season." Giannis Siakam Etc. never "got caught up in the hype"...it shows he is not 100% invested...he is soft...not Alpha...etc...

or he is just young and will learn...but it is not a good look.

22 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Hey to be fair i was dogging Dillon pretty hard and wanted to trade him earlier (SloMo too).   However, i have been pleasantly surprised by how well both of them have adjusted to their new roles.    IMHO guys that take pride on the defensive end usually have that Dawg in them.    Dillon may have a lil "Jimmy Butler" in him where by sheer force of will and tenacity he is able to transform himself into a good player.    Literally only thing holding Dillon back from being considered a real legit starting level player is his physical profile.  Otherwise he has the attitude and skills to be one. 

Now i want TJ to make sure that Dillon Kyle and Bruno all get real chance to develop with Ja Brandon and Jaren.     We could end up with a really deep team in 2-3 years. 

He had no issue taking big shots in college or his rookie year.  The dawg has always been there. He also said in his rookie season that the coach wanted him to focus on the defense and and he enjoyed playing d now. The dawg has always been there,some just refused to see it

4 hours ago, russian grizzly said:

Let`s trade him to Chicago for Carter Jr.

I would love to have Wendell paired with Brandon Clarke and Ja and Jonas. 

wendell is a smart player and would work well. 

My prediction is that Jaren will win most improved player by year 4 or 5. People think the sky is falling. Remember when you were 20? How dumb you were? Now add millions of dollars and a bunch of hype about how amazing you are, that you can't do anything wrong. I believe we have a good coach and that Jaren is talented enough to overcome this rough spot. Relax guys, he hasn't even played a full season of basketball yet, and his potential is so clearly obvious. 

2 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

My prediction is that Jaren will win most improved player by year 4 or 5. People think the sky is falling. Remember when you were 20? How dumb you were? Now add millions of dollars and a bunch of hype about how amazing you are, that you can't do anything wrong. I believe we have a good coach and that Jaren is talented enough to overcome this rough spot. Relax guys, he hasn't even played a full season of basketball yet, and his potential is so clearly obvious. 

Ja is 20......

Just now, Memphis Maverick said:

Ja is 20......

Ok? Not everyone is equipped with the same attitude or talents at the same time. He is 20 years old with an incredible amount of room to grow and ya'll are losing your minds. 

4 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Ok? Not everyone is equipped with the same attitude or talents at the same time. He is 20 years old with an incredible amount of room to grow and ya'll are losing your minds. 

Not losing our minds, just not willing to crown him a franchise player. 

59 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

I remember when I was 20 and how dumb I was. 

People say age hasn't helped me either! 

3 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Mike Tyson said give almost any 20 yo money that never had anything and step back and watch him destroy him self

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Wasn't he taking classes at MSU this Summer? Wonder how much that took away from his training time or his focus when training? It's really hard to make multiple things a priority at the same time.

58 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Ja is 20......

To be fair when we drafted Jaren we knew he was a project. We knew he needed some polishing. Yes Ja is the same age( actually older if we're being literal) but he also has a more defined skillset compiled with athleticism to spare. Imagine having Ja in a role that only wanted him to shoot 3 pointers and these conversations would be completely different.  My point is we knew he was a prospect,  we knew he'd need to work on his game, we know it takes bigs longer to figure out compiled with how young he is so people's reactions are kind of mind boggling though 

18 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I remember when I was 20 and how dumb I was. 

People say age hasn't helped me either! 

I’m not that different than I was at 20 either.  

But worse at basketball.

The thing that impresses me about Ja is not just that he's 20, but that he just had a kid a few months ago. That is a huge transition for a 20 year old in 6 months.

3 minutes ago, acarina said:

The thing that impresses me about Ja is not just that he's 20, but that he just had a kid a few months ago. That is a huge transition for a 20 year old in 6 months.

yup, having that kid is making him grow up even faster.  it's also helpful that he seems to be a more simple person (not in intelligence, just in how he seemingly grew up no frills) and has his family living with him keeping him grounded.

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I think some of the things Jaren is weak at are not things that often improve over time. Mentality, workrate, balance, shooting form, high center of gravity. My thoughts right after drafting Jackson might be unfortunately correct after all

11 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I think some of the things Jaren is weak at are not things that often improve over time. Mentality, workrate, balance, shooting form, high center of gravity. My thoughts right after drafting Jackson might be unfortunately correct after all

Wendell Carter is looking like the right pick if we were gonna go after a big. 

1 hour ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Wendell Carter is looking like the right pick if we were gonna go after a big. 

Wendell would have been better next to Marc. Ja needs either a rim runner (neither Jaren or Wendell really do that) or a 3 point/perimeter shooter. Jaren has shown more potential here. Jaren is also longer.  Both are young.

Lets see if Jaren can bounce back soon.   

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

Wendell would have been better next to Marc. Ja needs either a rim runner (neither Jaren or Wendell really do that) or a 3 point/perimeter shooter. Jaren has shown more potential here. Jaren is also longer.  Both are young.

Lets see if Jaren can bounce back soon.   

Stats say otherwise 

1 minute ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Stats say otherwise 

Wendell shot 19% from 3 as a rookie (I thought it was higher) and 13% this year. 

WCJ is the better rebounder.  Both are disasters in terms of fouls.