I❤️JV

What's wrong with Jaren?

This is my opinion and i could be off by a mile.

1. After Jaren was drafted there were no (unrealistic) expectations for him. He played with freedom, was not scouted  had a few good games and showed flashes of potential superstar material. Most importantly JB knew how to use him, so he can shine.

2. He was crowned as a king of Memphis basketball and a face of franchise.

3. In a summer instead of putting hard work he enjoyed being a king and a face of franchise.

4. New season: Jenkins/Ja does not know how/want for him to shine.

5. Lost his crown and a face of franchise to Ja.

6. Lost his confidence because of fouls.  

7. Fouling out is in his head and without confidence he looks lost. 

8. This could be completely off. Ja is the face now and do not want to share limelight with 3J.

Ja/3J and Ja/JV is no chemistry whatsoever.  It could be Jenkins new system or both, but both Jaren and Jonas look lost in a new Jenkins/Ja offence.

Without Ja facilitating to JV and 3J (he does excellent job and has really good chemistry with Clark)...Both bigs will not shine.

JV will get his rebounds  set screens and just treat it as a job...for 3J is different. 

If Jaren feels that Ja is holding back on him and just wants all the glory for himself...there will be trouble.

9. This is not end of the world for Jaren. He will be really good if Jenkins/Ja allows him to be...and foul troubles should (hopefully) disappear with experience.

10. Fans who claim he is future HOF or a JAG  both right and wrong...he could be both but most likely he will be somewhere in a middle between HOF and JAG.

11. HE IS VERY YOUNG. If he works hard he will shine again.

this is just my opinion and it could be completely wrong. 

1 minute ago, toocoolkellz said:

What in the world is a JAG?

I have a Jag. I love it. Smoothest riding car I have ever owned. 

In my view, Jaren just needs to be well trained on some fundamentals, like body positioning and, more importantly, footwork. The latter is the problem because he prefers to use his arm`s length and body size while ignoring the importance of staying vertical and keeping his body vertical moving it quickly to the right place around the opponent.  It requires a good training program with two parts: mental and physical. It is not something that hard to learn. He is still 20. Kid. This looks like a typical second-year growth problem. Fans need just to put on hold their high expectations for a while to let him work on his development. Like "Hey, Jaren - no disappointment, no frustration, no pressure, bro - just keep working. We will be around". 

Just now, russian grizzly said:

Have you owned Audi?

No but I am looking at their SUV. My jag is dying and its time to replace it. 

The second problem I see is that Junior has a mentality of a wing not a big. The way he defends reflects this problem. He needs to be trained and taught how to be a big, play like a big, and enjoy being big. 

jaren will be fine. too much talent for not to be fine down the road.

the issue, to me, is...does he have that internal drive within him? that 'dawg' as some might say..?

that swagger no matter what is going on.

i don't think that he does. i know that ja does. 

he can still be a great player for us and i think that he will be, but i don't think he's an alpha.

slim.

7 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

the issue, to me, is...does he have that internal drive within him? that 'dawg' as some might say..?

he can still be a great player for us and i think that he will be, but i don't think he's an alpha.

slim.

Hopefully the humiliation from last night gives him the motivation to be the "dawg".

14 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Or the old TV show 

Image result for jag tv show

I think Jaren is more of a traditional Big than we initially thought.    Trying to turn him into "Giannis-lite" is hurting his development.   He is a traditional big that has the ability to score off dribble and shoot 3s.      Taylor's system isn't built to have 2 Traditional Bigs in it.   That's the problem.   Jaren would look better next to Marc who would gladly let him get ALL the paint touches.  Jonas aint like that. 

2 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

You can't teach dawg bro?

Man, if we could somehow put Crowder's mentality into JJJ body we be sitting pretty. He'd be like...
Image result for Kevin Garnett gif

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Man, if we could somehow put Crowder's mentality into JJJ body we be sitting pretty. He'd be like...
Image result for Kevin Garnett gif

Then you'd be doctor Frankenstein 

I don't know what's wrong with him but the rest of the guys seem to enjoy the fast flowing offense I he should eventually also. Bruno is getting run at the center position and protecting the rim pretty well. If he can make it as a stretch 5 on the second unit it would be great. The pace is wearing on Jonas and he's getting into form though it's not well suited to him. 

Think it's still too early - he's played in 6 games. Of those:

1. He had one good game (23 points, 11 rebounds, 2 assist, 1 steal, 1 block, 3 fouls against Bulls)
  2. He had two so-so games (12 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 assist, 6 fouls against Nets) (17 points, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 5 rebounds against Heat)
  3. He had two pretty bad games (7 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 5 fouls against Lakers) (7 points, 1 rebound, 3 blocks, 4 fouls against Suns)
  4. He had one abomination of a game (0 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 fouls against Timberwolves)

The offense has changed substantially and I think there were a lot of moving parts during offseason/training camp that have likely affected on-court chemistry, including Ja coming off knee surgery, JVal not playing in preseason, the roster turning over substantially, new coach, etc. He's also really young.

These guys are all going to have their ups and downs throughout the course of the season, but I think by the midpoint of the season we'll see a very different (and improved) Jaren than we've seen in these first 6 games of his.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I have a Jag. I love it. Smoothest riding car I have ever owned. 

I almost bought a Jag but, went with a Porsche instead. Best decision of my auto buying/owning life!

But it ain’t a smooth ride, it’s the opposite of smooth.

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612763/lineups-advanced/?CF=MIN*GE*8&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular Season&sort=NET_RATING&dir=1

*Small- sample size Alert*

But of the lineups that have played more than 8 total mins together (blame Jenkins weird rotation minutes).  

JV + KA + TJ + GA + Marko has best netrtg of +33.6 (anomaly obviously)

TJ + DB + JC + BC + JJJ is the worst with netrtg of -0.8  

I noticed two lowest rated lineups had JJJ + BC   and highest had either JV or Clarke or both.  

IMHO Ja + Jaren have very little chemistry and neither does BC + JJJ  - that is a problem.    Whatever system TJ has in mind it is ridiculous if it doesn't maximize his 3 young stars.   TJ needs to put a focus on playing those 3 together and figuring out how to best utilize them together.   Not all this random rotation crap or strictly evaluating the role players at expense of them developing together. 

35 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

IMHO Ja + Jaren have very little chemistry and neither does BC + JJJ  - that is a problem.  

This is an alarming concern, if true. Personally, I believe this easily may be true.

3 hours ago, memphis slim said:

slim.

100 percent agree 

I like Jaren a lot but I have told my wife that 500 times this season... JA has the alpha mentality and you can see it clear as day. 

Also is Jae’s attitude was in Jaren body like was stated in another post..... LOOK OUT!! Not saying Jaren doesn’t have it but I sure hope he can be close to that attitude and drive one day. 

Once  again I really like Jaren but this will be JAs  team and his “want to/alpha attitude is extremely appreciated in my book! I hope they can both be all stars alongside each other and get us right back towards the top again.

One more small thing, Kyle Anderson is extremely underrated on here and all over Grizz nation IMO

Go Grizz!