Sign in to follow this  
PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

Our bigs are suffering in Jenkins system...

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

I say trade JV for a better fitting player or a pick.

starting to lean that way myself.   Jenkins system isn't going to change dramatically and i can't see Jonas being cool with coming off the bench again.   Jaren needs to just man up and embrace center spot. 

Who else can use a true Center like him?   Id trade for Biyombo or some other underutilized fleet foot Center. 

22 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

starting to lean that way myself.   Jenkins system isn't going to change dramatically and i can't see Jonas being cool with coming off the bench again.   Jaren needs to just man up and embrace center spot. 

Who else can use a true Center like him?   Id trade for Biyombo or some other underutilized fleet foot Center. 

Well thats kinda the other part. I dont know who in the hell wants a starting center like him these days!

2 hours ago, memphis slim said:

to be fair, our bigs, mediums, and smalls are all struggling a hair under the system.

we knew this year would be rough. just appreciate the process as our yankee buddies (phil) would tell us.

slim.

How do you appreciate losing the way the Grizz are? I sit her and get so **** mad that the Grizz gave up better players for someone who is younger and may never be as good as the player they gave away, case in point, Tyus and Delon. This pie in the sky feces may turn out to be great but it may not be in my lifetime or yours. 

27 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

So how long do you think Jaren is going to be able to stay on the floor? 16-20 minutes a game? The other p;ayers aren't getting Jonas the ball, they're castrating him. It's not a team game anymore, it's ME ME ME.

38 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Memphis isn't trading JV just yet. Jonas missed training camp recovering from a sore foot for the Euro league play. He's averaging only 22 minutes a night but is still averageing 12 and 9. Get those minutes up to 26-28 a night and we are looking at a player with a double double average. I don't know what people expect but give me 15 and 10 in under 30 minutes from JV on a nightly basis and I am very happy with his play. 

43 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

How do you appreciate losing the way the Grizz are? I sit her and get so **** mad that the Grizz gave up better players for someone who is younger and may never be as good as the player they gave away, case in point, Tyus and Delon. This pie in the sky feces may turn out to be great but it may not be in my lifetime or yours. 

I actually enjoy just watching them play, of course I'd rather win, but not sure why so many are upset over the inevitable 

JV can be many things but he's not dumb. He knows what he signed for. He's getting a significant salary playing for a team which will not rush his recovery and which will not make the playoffs, so he'll have plenty of time to be ready for the Olympics qualifying tournament (held in June) and play in the Olympics if Lithuania makes it.

Either way, since the Olympics are in July he'll be able to prepare for next season when we'll be expected not to tank. And if he's a pro and plays his role he knows he could eventually make his way back to a contender before his contract ends.

JV will be ok.

Thank God players and management never read these fan boards...management will never share what's going on, players will keep the dressing room talk off limits...a few reporters may think they have inside talk, and yes sometimes a disgruntled player will talk(a bit), knowing that once they do..they have broken the "code"...:)  re JV...TSN just ranked him number 9 greatest raptor...interesting that he would rank that high...maybe more  insightful is what TSN rational was for the ranking....JV hasn't changed in Memphis, and my guess is that he is getting more respect everyday in the locker room...JV can play, and more importantly, its about TEAM for him and winning...not my words.....

"To his credit, JV never complained. Instead, he made the best of his situation. He worked hard, did his best to adapt his game, and wasn’t just a good teammate – he was an exceptional teammate. Without the reward of guaranteed minutes or touches, JV continued to do the dirty work. He was always among the league’s best rebounders and screen setters, and was one of its most efficient low-post scorers."

All i am saying is that Jenkins system isn't crafted for Two Bigs.     He wants space and pace and even mentioned 5 out.    How is that good for a player like Jonas? 

The only time JOnas and Jaren have had scoring success is when its been 4 out offense.    Outside of Jonas being a counter to JJJ rebounding woes they do not fit together well. 

I like Jonas and think he can be a useful piece or change of pace player.  I understood the logic in resigning him but unfortunately they had to do it without having all the data.   Heck they barely had a coach when he resigned.   Other issue was/is that Jaren is still developing.   Nobody knew how to best utilize him this summer which means they are now discovering it on the fly.    Perching him in the corner as a standstill shooter seems like a waste.   Giving him the ball at top of the key expecting him to create off the dribble when you got a Big in the paint seems foolish too.    Jaren looks better when he gets multiple post touches (since he isn't really a rim runner) to get him into the flow.    Well thats the same thing Jonas needs.   So who should get priority?  

I say pull a page from Fizdale books when he separated Marc and Zbo.   Do ya'll remember why he did that?     

• Help our defense because Zbo was getting killed in PnRoll in starting lineup
  • Space the floor for Mike drives and scoring
  • Force Gasol to look for his own offense more.
  • Let Zbo be focal of scoring starved bench unit. 

Hmm seems like those reasons apply this season as well. 

On 11/6/2019 at 9:37 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

I think Kyle is best post entry passer on the team so pairing him with Jonas while allow JV to be offensive focal of second unit keeps him engaged and productive.  

That's true, BUT ... Marjanovic 290 lbs, Jokic 284,  Lopez 282 & 28, Embiid 280, Drummomd 279, McGee 270, Okafor 270,  W. Carter 270, D Jordan 265, Favors 265, Whiteside 265, Adams 265, Baynes 260,  M Leonard 260,  Vucevic 260, ...

You can't defend them with Jaren at 242, Jae at 235. 

Unless you figure the opposing big will get 25 pts but JJJ will get 35 with better mobility 

I hear you..it's still very early in YEAR 1, JJJ struggled early and hopefully he has turned the corner...let's see where he can take his game and also his consistency....but he has a few very obvious flaws and not sure he will every fix..., he doesn't clean the glass at either end, 3PT shooting is awful, midrange shots are suspect, he is not physical, he doesnt set the best screens (maybe its a dont get injured thing)

Not sure about JJJ's basketball IQ, but he is young, but where he might improve is to understand what a good shot and bad shot is given the situation, be better and smarter about his fouls, without giving up playing better defence, he needs a quicker first step laterally...he needs to expand his game, and that's the argument for playing JJJ more, can he can lead the charge on fast breaks, barrel through defenders in the half court, spin through traffic, cross over lumbering bigs, hit the occasional step-back and annihilate the rim?

Granted, JV doesn't do many of these things well either, but what he does do well is top 10.  And his D isn't nearly as bad as some posters will try to make you believe.

Broken record from me, it's early,  be patient as a fan, enjoy the journey, hold all players accountable, losing alone is not acceptable, find a way for JJJ and JV to co-exist on the floor at the same time...or else  :)

40 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

All i am saying is that Jenkins system isn't crafted for Two Bigs.     He wants space and pace and even mentioned 5 out.    How is that good for a player like Jonas? 

The only time JOnas and Jaren have had scoring success is when its been 4 out offense.    Outside of Jonas being a counter to JJJ rebounding woes they do not fit together well. 

I like Jonas and think he can be a useful piece or change of pace player.  I understood the logic in resigning him but unfortunately they had to do it without having all the data.   Heck they barely had a coach when he resigned.   Other issue was/is that Jaren is still developing.   Nobody knew how to best utilize him this summer which means they are now discovering it on the fly.    Perching him in the corner as a standstill shooter seems like a waste.   Giving him the ball at top of the key expecting him to create off the dribble when you got a Big in the paint seems foolish too.    Jaren looks better when he gets multiple post touches (since he isn't really a rim runner) to get him into the flow.    Well thats the same thing Jonas needs.   So who should get priority?  

I say pull a page from Fizdale books when he separated Marc and Zbo.   Do ya'll remember why he did that?     

• Help our defense because Zbo was getting killed in PnRoll in starting lineup
  • Space the floor for Mike drives and scoring
  • Force Gasol to look for his own offense more.
  • Let Zbo be focal of scoring starved bench unit. 

Hmm seems like those reasons apply this season as well. 

Yeah, he's a genius!  We can be as good as NYK then.

13 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

I hear you..it's still very early in YEAR 1, JJJ struggled early and hopefully he has turned the corner...let's see where he can take his game and also his consistency....but he has a few very obvious flaws and not sure he will every fix..., he doesn't clean the glass at either end, 3PT shooting is awful, midrange shots are suspect, he is not physical, he doesnt set the best screens (maybe its a dont get injured thing)

Not sure about JJJ's basketball IQ, but he is young, but where he might improve is to understand what a good shot and bad shot is given the situation, be better and smarter about his fouls, without giving up playing better defence, he needs a quicker first step laterally...he needs to expand his game, and that's the argument for playing JJJ more, can he can lead the charge on fast breaks, barrel through defenders in the half court, spin through traffic, cross over lumbering bigs, hit the occasional step-back and annihilate the rim?

Granted, JV doesn't do many of these things well either, but what he does do well is top 10.  And his D isn't nearly as bad as some posters will try to make you believe.

Broken record from me, it's early,  be patient as a fan, enjoy the journey, hold all players accountable, losing alone is not acceptable, find a way for JJJ and JV to co-exist on the floor at the same time...or else  :)

Actually, I think his defense is much worse than at the end of last season.  I don't know if it's his foot, the new system, all the new players, or the fact that we don't seem to have anyone in the backcourt who can keep their man out of the paint, or all of the above.  It just isn't working right now.  It may get better though, so I'll be patient.

16 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Actually, I think his defense is much worse than at the end of last season.  I don't know if it's his foot, the new system, all the new players, or the fact that we don't seem to have anyone in the backcourt who can keep their man out of the paint, or all of the above.  It just isn't working right now.  It may get better though, so I'll be patient.

Whatever defence analytics mean or their value...Jonas's defensive win totals (overall defense numbers from NBA) is higher than Jae, Brandon, Bruno, Solomon, Marko, Tyus and Jaren...in that order...BUT i agree JV played and the team played better D last year...it's early, but we need to instill D as important as anything else.....

Point 1 Fizdale is not far from being fired so forget about emulating him.

Point 2 With the way Jenkins wants this team to play, sprinting back and forth, launching bombs from deep, the idea that its only the bigs who get the rebounds is ending. The guards are getting as many rebounds as the bigs (unless you're camped in under the basket)

Point 3 The last 2 games showed exactly why Jaren needs to play more in the paint and less on the perimeter 

Point 4 Jaren wont be getting a high tally of rebounds if he is camped in the corner like he mainly has been

Point 5 If Jenkins is not going to focus on more PNR/PNP play, one of the bigs has to sit

Point 6 Improve the *** D, it is terrible. No point playing with pace if you are allowing the opposition to score at will

29 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Point 1 Fizdale is not far from being fired so forget about emulating him.

Point 2 With the way Jenkins wants this team to play, sprinting back and forth, launching bombs from deep, the idea that its only the bigs who get the rebounds is ending. The guards are getting as many rebounds as the bigs (unless you're camped in under the basket)

Point 3 The last 2 games showed exactly why Jaren needs to play more in the paint and less on the perimeter 

Point 4 Jaren wont be getting a high tally of rebounds if he is camped in the corner like he mainly has been

Point 5 If Jenkins is not going to focus on more PNR/PNP play, one of the bigs has to sit

Point 6 Improve the *** D, it is terrible. No point playing with pace if you are allowing the opposition to score at will

Its not about emulating Fizdale - its just that he saw the obvious and adjusted his rotation.    He was also hired to overhaul offense and get the team into a faster pace.   He understood it was impossible to do that with TWO plodding Bigs and made the common sense move.    

I am just noting that its kinda crazy to use Jonas as a floor spacer and have him sprinting during his minutes.   It's also crazy to not maximize the athleticism and slashing ability of your athletic young players too (Ja, Brandon, Jaren and Grayson).    IMHO  Tyus SloMo and Marko are better suited to compliment Jonas preferred playstyle. 

I agree with you that Jaren playing staring center wont hurt rebounding because BC is a great rebounder and so are Ja and Jae.  

Regardless, Jenkins needs to do something soon.    He needs to understand that he shouldn't be so focused on implementing his system but more focused on finding the system that best utilizes his young CORE. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Its not about emulating Fizdale - its just that he saw the obvious and adjusted his rotation.    He was also hired to overhaul offense and get the team into a faster pace.   He understood it was impossible to do that with TWO plodding Bigs and made the common sense move.    

I am just noting that its kinda crazy to use Jonas as a floor spacer and have him sprinting during his minutes.   It's also crazy to not maximize the athleticism and slashing ability of your athletic young players too (Ja, Brandon, Jaren and Grayson).    IMHO  Tyus SloMo and Marko are better suited to compliment Jonas preferred playstyle. 

I agree with you that Jaren playing staring center wont hurt rebounding because BC is a great rebounder and so are Ja and Jae.  

Regardless, Jenkins needs to do something soon.    He needs to understand that he shouldn't be so focused on implementing his system but more focused on finding the system that best utilizes his young CORE. 

I havent checked the stats but Jaren seemed to get going in the 2nd qtr of both games. Was Kyle on the floor at those times? I'm pretty sure JV was sitting.

Jyst wondering because Kyle seems to be the one looking for Jaren inside rather than dishing to the perimeter 

6 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

it's tough, but i can see a vision for the future. i think the fo needs to really do better on pushing their vision to the fans, but i think they have done a good job- actually very good to be fair. 

slim.

1 hour ago, memphis slim said:

it's tough, but i can see a vision for the future. i think the fo needs to really do better on pushing their vision to the fans, but i think they have done a good job- actually very good to be fair. 

slim.

I think these 2 small guards aren't going to get the job done especially when they are on the floor at the same time.

This 5 out system is ok I guess but it just doesn't fit our guys both Jaren and JV need the ball down low on post ups and we pretty much have not done that at all season except for today.

33 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Bigs looked pretty good tonight

They really did. JV dominated Aldridge on offense, Jaren did well on Aldridge and at the end against gay. BC was his normal efficent self. 

It helped that SAS dont have good interior defenders.   but glad our guys recognized and attacked them.   

TJ mostly played Bigs apart which allowed them to be focals.  Glad our guards recognized and rode them to victory.

6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

It helped that SAS dont have good interior defenders.   but glad our guys recognized and attacked them.   

TJ mostly played Bigs apart which allowed them to be focals.  Glad our guards recognized and rode them to victory.

I think this may have been why TJ switched Ja out for Tyus towards the end - Ja was getting away from waiting for the bigs to establish position and making the entry pass.