Sign in to follow this  
PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

Our bigs are suffering in Jenkins system...

I think JV can be a solid backup big, special now that league is starting to going big again. If he devolop his 3s and buy into being a force coming of the bench, we will be glady that he is in Memphis 

43 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Im going to have to agree. Clarke/JJJ is the front court of the future. The ideal third big is a mobile big that covers some ground and doesnt need the ball much.

Bruno sounds solid in that third big role but we could still use a 7 foot stretch 5 who can hit 3’s and a legit 7 foot rim-runner — but who couldn’t use guys like that???  The key is to get those type of players without overpaying.  

10 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Jonas is so horrible defensively it is not funny. He’s the smallest big man in the world. Does not even pretend to raise his hands when guys drive at him. He just tries to get in place to maybe rebound but he doesn’t rebound at all out of his area. On offense he is essentially a black hole. Continually misses easy reads. Can’t catch on the move well. And is just all around clunky as a player. Yes, he can put up big scoring and rebound numbers but your team will suffer as he does so. The quicker they move him to the bench or another team, the better.

I don't know if the personnel we had last season made JV look better or what?  This season he looks slower, less athletic.  I'm not going to write him off yet, but I can't really argue with your assessment to this point.

12 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I don't know if the personnel we had last season made JV look better or what?  This season he looks slower, less athletic.  I'm not going to write him off yet, but I can't really argue with your assessment to this point.

He's still dealing with foot issues right?

15 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

I think JV can be a solid backup big, special now that league is starting to going big again. If he devolop his 3s and buy into being a force coming of the bench, we will be glady that he is in Memphis 

True. But would he accept coming off the bench — especially on a sub-mediocre team?  And as crazy as it sounds, Bruno might be a better backup center.  

So... do you start Jaren at the 4 but Bruno at the 5 with Clarke and Jonas off the bench or go Jaren/Clarke as the starters with Jonas/Bruno off the bench?

Slo Mo/Bruno might even be the better big man bench tandem.  

Either way, we are gonna have spacing issues, battles for minutes/shots, and some funky lineups.

On 11/9/2019 at 11:16 AM, smit-tay griz said:

gtfohy.  No, he was not considered a project.  He was expected to be a very good player, which is why a high school player was taken fifth in the draft, which was unprecedented.  Starting from mid-season before the All-Star break until the end of the season he averaged 14.2/8.6 and trending upwards.  They knew what they had.

I agree he was supposed to be good. Jaren is supposed to be good. No one thought he would be good right away, as evidenced by his horrible play leading up to the all star break. They threw him out there with a sink or swim mentality. He didn't earn his playing time. He was not out playing whomever got benched for him. You can look back and say they knew exactly what they had, but the fact remains at the all star break he was averaging 6.4 ppg on 40.9% shooting. If you think that is earning a spot anywhere, then we can end the discussion now; I can't reason with that.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:34 PM, MemphisX said:

Jonas is so horrible defensively it is not funny. He’s the smallest big man in the world. Does not even pretend to raise his hands when guys drive at him. He just tries to get in place to maybe rebound but he doesn’t rebound at all out of his area. On offense he is essentially a black hole. Continually misses easy reads. Can’t catch on the move well. And is just all around clunky as a player. Yes, he can put up big scoring and rebound numbers but your team will suffer as he does so. The quicker they move him to the bench or another team, the better.

That is why despite his rebounds and touch around the goal, Toronto would barely play him in games that matter. He is too limited laterally.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:34 PM, MemphisX said:

I don't know who you've been watching but JV always has his hands in the air and he knows how to keep them up unlike 3J. You don't get 14-15 rebounds a game by standing around with your finger up your anus. He had 15 points and 9 rebounds in the last game when he was taken out with 6-7 minutes left in the game.

1 hour ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I agree he was supposed to be good. Jaren is supposed to be good. No one thought he would be good right away, as evidenced by his horrible play leading up to the all star break. They threw him out there with a sink or swim mentality. He didn't earn his playing time. He was not out playing whomever got benched for him. You can look back and say they knew exactly what they had, but the fact remains at the all star break he was averaging 6.4 ppg on 40.9% shooting. If you think that is earning a spot anywhere, then we can end the discussion now; I can't reason with that.

The point was that you don't bench quality veteran players ahead of a project player.  If a FO feels that strongly about a young player they will likely move the vets to make way for him, rather than create a bad vibe on the team.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

The point was that you don't bench quality veteran players ahead of a project player.  If a FO feels that strongly about a young player they will likely move the vets to make way for him, rather than create a bad vibe on the team.

That's exactly what the Raps, with championship expectations, did with Siakam replacing JV last year tho.

14 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

That is why despite his rebounds and touch around the goal, Toronto would barely play him in games that matter. He is too limited laterally.

Raptors season ticket holder since Day 1....your comment is so wrong and fake...before JV got his thumb injury he was being spoken about the 6h man of the year.....his numbers and his play was off the charts...the discussion in Toronto and by IBAKA and JV, they were the best 2 player tandem at C  in the league....it's more than the numbers....look at Gasol play on the Raptors...6.3 PPTs per game, 7 rebounds, 2 assists and a 5.74 PER....there winning, they will contend again this year, they know their roles, and they don't care about made up comments like the one u made above....would barely play...how do you make up that stuff with any credibility?

27 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

Raptors season ticket holder since Day 1....your comment is so wrong and fake...before JV got his thumb injury he was being spoken about the 6h man of the year.....his numbers and his play was off the charts...the discussion in Toronto and by IBAKA and JV, they were the best 2 player tandem at C  in the league....it's more than the numbers....look at Gasol play on the Raptors...6.3 PPTs per game, 7 rebounds, 2 assists and a 5.74 PER....there winning, they will contend again this year, they know their roles, and they don't care about made up comments like the one u made above....would barely play...how do you make up that stuff with any credibility?

Haters hate.

Regardless,  It's becoming pretty clear that only One big can EAT in Jenkins system.  Plus Jaren and Jonas aren't a good pairing anyway.  I really hate that they decided to resign him and promise him starting role when they didn't see how he paired with JJJ. 

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612763/lineups-advanced/?CF=GROUP_NAME*E*jackson&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular Season&sort=NET_RATING&dir=1&GroupQuantity=2

Currently, Jonas + Jaren 2 man lineup is his worst pairing with a -22.5netrtg

Jaren was good with Noah and Marc because they both play like PF's on offense and are GREAT passing Bigs.   Nothing against Jonas but in Jenkins system and his skillset is just not a good match with JJJ.    If Jenkins is dead set on implementing his sytem and is designing it for the players he will have in the future.   Then at least adjust the rotations to best utilize the guys you have within your system.   Split up Jonas and Jaren.  I don't care which one goes to the bench.  However, if Jaren is the investment then Jonas should be the one. 

Its insanely silly that Jenkins isn't playing Jaren + Ja + Brandon as many minutes together as possible.  Since CLEARLY they are the future of the team. 

15 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You don't get 14-15 rebounds a game by standing around with your finger up your anus.

I think Dennis Rodman could easily reach that target, but yeah, he’s probably an outlier.

I think 2J will have a bigger influence than 3J or Brandon if given the chance. Brandon would have to improve his 3 shooting and 3J would have to improve his defense and finishing inside. Too many PFs in the league that Brandon can't handle, bigger, stronger and longer.

to be fair, our bigs, mediums, and smalls are all struggling a hair under the system.

we knew this year would be rough. just appreciate the process as our yankee buddies (phil) would tell us.

slim.

42 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I think 2J will have a bigger influence than 3J or Brandon if given the chance. Brandon would have to improve his 3 shooting and 3J would have to improve his defense and finishing inside. Too many PFs in the league that Brandon can't handle, bigger, stronger and longer.

You're starting to sound like a fanboy.