Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MemphisX

2009 Free Agency

If that horrible push shot with a one-sec differential had not gone in, he's found in pieces under Navy Pier...

..but it went in :)

Ok X. Here it is.

Do you give BG $9M with escalation for four/five years?

'cuz that's what he's gonna demand/command.

Tough call on him right now.

All I know is that Ben Gordon has been doing this for 5 years and he is better than Conley.

What do you pay 20 ppg scorers who can carry a team in the playoffs? What is it worth to a team that is seeing 24 wins as progress?

No.

If he wants to take 6-7 million coming off the bench ala Manu Ginobili then yeah. Sure. But like you said, he will demand 9-10 million dollars a year so it's doubtful the Griz sign him.

From Gordon's standpoint, he won't want to come off the bench and from Memphis' standpoint, do you want to pay a guy 10 million to come off the bench when you have a glaring hole at the 4?

If we land Griffin then it might make it easier to pay Gordon that kind of money. But with the PF spot so open, I can't see Heisley paying 10 million for a backup guard.

BUT...if we trade Conley then who knows?

Whoah, this is crazy talk. Are you watching this game? If Ben Gordon were to become a member of the Grizzlies next year you suggest sitting him behind OJ and Conley? I'm not saying we should sign him but if we do he better be starting and we either move OJ to the point or make him earn his starting spot. At this point in OJ's career he is definitely not as good as Ben Gordon. You don't sign someone of BG's caliber and make him ride the bench on a crappy team.

On another note, how does smacking Miller in the face from behind not earn you a flagrant?

All I know is that Ben Gordon has been doing this for 5 years and he is better than Conley.

What do you pay 20 ppg scorers who can carry a team in the playoffs? What is it worth to a team that is seeing 24 wins as progress?

YOu have to put things into context...Joakim Noah and Tyrus Thomas..guard the rim..something none of the grizzlies besides Hadadi do well, D.Rose..no need to expound, KirK Heinrich better than all our bench guards combined..Brad Miller.. a usual starter..Luol Deng helped with alot of wins also...John Salmons is also a good role player/scorere..so keep things in context...BG is not the savior of the Bulls but is a key piece...Ben Gordon can not guard NBA sgs...in the likes of t-mac, kobe, etc...and we are in the west..where there are a lot of solid shooting guards..he could be a bench weapon at best 4 us...but I think he will stay in Chicago..or go somewhere that can get by will a small shooting guard or sum team that trys to play him out of position..like oklahoma city or minnesota..

YO

Ben Gordon can not guard NBA sgs...in the likes of t-mac, kobe, etc...and we are in the west..where there are a lot of solid shooting guards..he could be a bench weapon at best 4 us...

YO

This is just ignorant. He can only be a bench guard for our 24 win team but he can be the leading scorer for a team winning playoff games. Yeah, that freaking makes sense.

Oh and please name me the SGs that are shutting down Kobe, T Mac, etc.

i'm surprised that no one has brought up Von Wafer....

I don't like him much, but he's been decent for a bench player for Houston this season.....to me, he is similar to Matt Barnes......when his crazy shots are falling he looks good.....when they're not, he's useless.....and they both dribble the ball up the court too much instead of giving it to the PG

Whoah, this is crazy talk. Are you watching this game? If Ben Gordon were to become a member of the Grizzlies next year you suggest sitting him behind OJ and Conley? I'm not saying we should sign him but if we do he better be starting and we either move OJ to the point or make him earn his starting spot. At this point in OJ's career he is definitely not as good as Ben Gordon. You don't sign someone of BG's caliber and make him ride the bench on a crappy team.

On another note, how does smacking Miller in the face from behind not earn you a flagrant?

Ben Gordon would not start over OJ Mayo.

Ben Gordon is definitely worth what Jason Terry earns, which is b/w $9M-$11M. And like Terry, he's not exactly a backup . Whether he's the 6th man or a starter he's going to play 30+ minutes. The question is whether he's a good fit for the Griz. And looking at how they are currently constructed, I'm not so sure he is. However, things may change after the draft.

Its basically because Rondo is smaller than Miller. If Miller did the same thing to Rondo he would probably be sitting in a jail cell right now. But on the topic, Gordon wouldnt make sense for this team.

i'm surprised that no one has brought up Von Wafer....

I don't like him much, but he's been decent for a bench player for Houston this season.....to me, he is similar to Matt Barnes......when his crazy shots are falling he looks good.....when they're not, he's useless.....and they both dribble the ball up the court too much instead of giving it to the PG

Wafer is an interesting prospect I have to say.

But I would only look at him if we were to somehow find someone with experience that can attack the basket to give him the space he needs to be effective.

This is just ignorant. He can only be a bench guard for our 24 win team but he can be the leading scorer for a team winning playoff games. Yeah, that freaking makes sense.

So the Gordon debate continues...5 years in.

Even people in Chicago are split on this guy.

Memphis X + Ben Gordon =

2414207204_39358aae4a_o.jpg

That's X in the background.

Oh and please name me the SGs that are shutting down Kobe, T Mac, etc.

YOu are the definition of a fan boy, U spoke nothing of Ben Gordon b4 this series, now he is your profile pic...The Celtics are not a good defensive team, ray allen..is a jump shooter who doesnt take advantage of his size advantage, If KG was not hurt, this would be a supermarket sweep..Ben Gordon wont be a Grizzly..I didnt say shut down..I said guard them...If your arms aren't even long enough to context..larger players shots..It makes it very difficulty to score..Ray Allen is almost 6'5 which is covering BG's lack of size..He is a baller...but he fits in very few situations...get over yourself..and your fanboyism..

YO

YOu are the definition of a fan boy, U spoke nothing of Ben Gordon b4 this series, now he is your profile pic...The Celtics are not a good defensive team, ray allen..is a jump shooter who doesnt take advantage of his size advantage, If KG was not hurt, this would be a supermarket sweep..Ben Gordon wont be a Grizzly..I didnt say shut down..I said guard them...If your arms aren't even long enough to context..larger players shots..It makes it very difficulty to score..Ray Allen is almost 6'5 which is covering BG's lack of size..He is a baller...but he fits in very few situations...get over yourself..and your fanboyism..

YO

X is the farthest thing from a fanboy on this board.......

did you really say the celtics are not a good defensive team? even without KG they are likely a top 10 defensive team.....

and although ray allen's strength is shooting, he would be our best perimeter defender if he was on our team.....just for comparison....

X brings up a great point.....and I think it speaks to the fans over valuation of their own young guys.......

ben gordon is the leading scorer on a playoff team, yet most would only want him as a 6th man on our team, which happens to be the worst team in the NBA for the last 3 years combined.......

i'm not saying I want Gordon per se, but in a FA class that is almost as lacking as the draft class, it doesn't take much to be one of the best available players......and ben gordon being UFA makes it all the more interesting......whereas some of the PF targets in FA are RFA (lee, milsap, marvin williams, etc)

I wholeheartedly think that Hollins isn't going to allow CW to bring in anyone that might challenge Conley, Mayo, Gay and Gasol for playing time........whereas Ivy embraced competition for minutes (probably to a fault), Hollins shuns it like a Catholic shuns meat on Friday during lent.......

and that is part of the catch 22 with rebuilding, developing players, and trying to get better. If we already have 4 out of the 5 positions locked in, there isn't much wiggle room to improve unless our current players dramatically get better.....

anyway.....i digress......

no way X is a fanboy.....if anything he is a fanboy for any players that produce......

You are the definition of a fan boy, U spoke nothing of Ben Gordon b4 this series, now he is your profile pic...The Celtics are not a good defensive team, ray allen..is a jump shooter who doesn't take advantage of his size advantage, If KG was not hurt, this would be a supermarket sweep..Ben Gordon wont be a Grizzly..I didn't say shut down..I said guard them...If your arms aren't even long enough to context..larger players shots..It makes it very difficulty to score..Ray Allen is almost 6'5 which is covering BG's lack of size..He is a baller...but he fits in very few situations...get over yourself..and your fanboyism..

YO

Fan boy? I got yelled down about 2-3 months ago when I suggested Ben Gordon would be perfect next to Mayo. Yeah, I am a fan of Gordon because unlike most people on this board, I like players who have success in the league. You keep pining for these players that have never done jack crap in the NBA. Is he the ideal size? No. Hasn't seemed to bother him in 5 yearsor while he was killing folks in college. So I put up the resume of Ben Gordon against any current Grizzlies player not named Mayo or Gasol.

You want to say KG is hurt but so is Luol Deng. If size is so important then why haven't the Celtics been able to stop Ben Gordon? Some players get it done regardless of size or athletic limitations.

It is my belief that Gordon/Mayo is superior to Conley/Mayo. Explain to me how Gordon's size hurts us in this exchange?

Fan boy? I got yelled down about 2-3 months ago when I suggested Ben Gordon would be perfect next to Mayo. Yeah, I am a fan of Gordon because unlike most people on this board, I like players who have success in the league. You keep pining for these players that have never done jack crap in the NBA. Is he the ideal size? No. Hasn't seemed to bother him in 5 yearsor while he was killing folks in college. So I put up the resume of Ben Gordon against any current Grizzlies player not named Mayo or Gasol.

You want to say KG is hurt but so is Luol Deng. If size is so important then why haven't the Celtics been able to stop Ben Gordon? Some players get it done regardless of size or athletic limitations.

It is my belief that Gordon/Mayo is superior to Conley/Mayo. Explain to me how Gordon's size hurts us in this exchange?

This reply is to your and the cosigner of your new car...I have new problem with BG and think he is a top 10 sg..but my point is...When I speak of a player..I speak of him in context from a Grizzlies perspective...Offensive weapons dont necessarily equal wins or good fits in various systems..ask the New York Knicks..We know Hollins wont play BG at point do dominate pgs..and he wont play OJ at point..That will make us next years new York Knicks unless we got BG along with someone who can guard the rim and help out bigger guards..I am for real talent..That is why you never see me advocate for all the jokes of the league..like the people who love Channing Frye...I honestly think the only hands down NBA playoff talnet we have on this team at the point they are in their careers is Mike Conley and Rudy Gay...

YO

That is why you never see me advocate for all the jokes of the league

...I honestly think the only hands down NBA playoff talnet we have on this team at the point they are in their careers is Mike Conley and Rudy Gay...

YO

:lol:

I just found this funny! Carry on.

I think it is funny that you want to avoid being the New York Knicks when the Knicks have been the better team the last 3 years.

Question.

What is the difference between Nate Robinson and Ben Gordon?

Answer.

About 3 million a year.

If you LIKE Gordon, then you should LOVE Nate.

Nate is more consistent and has more fire in his belly and is a better team player. Robinson could in theory average 20ppg with the Grizzlies.

I'd rather the Grizzlies sign Robinson than Gordon, considering all factors.

But with Mayo/Gordon(Nate)/Gay..would it be possible for them all to average 20ppg?

Don't know.

We'd have to provide one heck of a defensive frontcourt to ensure them of any kind of success.

I just found this funny! Carry on.

I think it is funny that you want to avoid being the New York Knicks when the Knicks have been the better team the last 3 years.

Its very simple, being a first round tweener is not the plan...hence the 3 year plan..We want to be a team that competes for championships..not competes to make the postseason..ASk all the eight seeds that are already fishing with all the other non-playoff teams...Everybody has been better than us in the past few years...We lost the season series to Thunder for God's sakes..I dont care how they have improved..You dont lose to the Thunder, ever..

YO

shannon brown... 5-7 mill (backup to Conley and Mayo)

chris anderson... 5-7 mill (high flying paint enforcer)

rodney carney...3-5 mill (atheletic backup sg/sf)

good, young, role players with size

#6 pick - Earl Clark (6th man...sf/pf)

#27 pick - Tyler Hansborough (tough PF)

2nd rounder - Dionte Christmas (backup sg/sf)

conley/brown

mayo/christmas/carney

gay/clark

hansborough/anderson/arthur

gasol/milicic/haddadi

i think conley/mayo/gay/gasol are going to be a lot better next year. we just need a better bench and with brown/clark/birdman headlining the second team i think we could have a top 10 bench... maybe even as good as our hubie 10 man rotation days. brown/clark/anderson may end up starting by the allstar game.

Would this be the same scouting staff that has brought us three straight years of twenty win seasons??? the same staff that brought us the powerhouses of troy bell, alexander johnson, lawrence roberts, tarence kinsey, jake tsakalidas, dahntay jones and many other stellar guys picked up via trade or draft?????? I have faith alright, you just may not wanna hear the way i faithfully think this "scouting staff" can evaluate talent.

No. That would be the previous scouting staff that was under the direction of Jerry West. We are now talking about Chris Wallace's scouting that has brought us Mike Conley, Marc Gasol, O J Mayo and Juan Carlos Navarro who was fun but short-lived.

#6 pick - Earl Clark (6th man...sf/pf)

I am thinking this could be a good move for the Grizzlies. Athleticism in the frontcourt combined with great perimeter shooting is the key in the NBA. Put those assets in high level players and you will win a lot of games.

$3M/yr max for Carney. He doesn't deserve more than that.

I want to start a "there's no way we are getting this guy" list, so there is no need to continue to bring them up.

Trevor Ariza - He is starting for the Lakers and will not downgrade to a bench player for the Grizzlies.

Carlos Boozer - Fits into the definition Heisley gave that would keep him from signing Rudy. We will not be going after him.

Any others, feel free to add.

$3M/yr max for Carney. He doesn't deserve more than that.

I want to start a "there's no way we are getting this guy" list, so there is no need to continue to bring them up.

Trevor Ariza - He is starting for the Lakers and will not downgrade to a bench player for the Grizzlies.

Carlos Boozer - Fits into the definition Heisley gave that would keep him from signing Rudy. We will not be going after him.

Any others, feel free to add.

Chris Anderson- If he is Memphis's "big" FA signing this summer, then Heisley needs to ride the short bus to work. Why the hell does this guy's name keep coming up on these boards?