Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MemphisX

2009 Free Agency

You are missing the point completely.

Since I'm supposedly missing the point (completely) and you didn't take the time to enlighten me (at all) as to what the point is, I guess that I'll have to take your word for it unless you would like to explain what point I'm missing...however, I'm missing a lot less than you think.

My Fave Five Free Agents:

1. Ben Gordon

2. Trevor Ariza

3. Anderson Varejao

4. Paul Millsap

5. Marvin Williams

Ariza, I fear, will command significantly more than his true worth. If someone gives him over MLE by much (if any), they have overpaid, IMO.

Ariza, I fear, will command significantly more than his true worth. If someone gives him over MLE by much (if any), they have overpaid, IMO.

Really? I guess it depends upon what your expectations of him are going forward.

I see him as being capable of being the 3rd or 4th best player on a contending team going forward (4th best on Lakers right now). IMO that puts him on the level of Tayshaun Prince. Good offensive player who does not need the ball and can play (SG,SF) and guard (PG,SG,SF) multiple positions. He is one of those leap of faith players I guess. You have to have confidence in your scouting staff.

Ronnie Price still looks like a good player. He'd be a good scoring PG off the bench behind Conley or Rubio or whomever our starter is a PG next year.

I would also look at Brevin Knight as an option. His experience and leadership would be big for us having so much youth in the backcourt.

Also, what do you guys think about Jameer Nelson?

The Magic have Alston now. They are having financial problems too.

Would you offer capspace and a future pick to get Nelson from the Magic?

Would free up some flexibility to make some deals for a big.

I like a rotation of Nelson/Mayo/Gay.

Really? I guess it depends upon what your expectations of him are going forward.

I see him as being capable of being the 3rd or 4th best player on a contending team going forward (4th best on Lakers right now). IMO that puts him on the level of Tayshaun Prince. Good offensive player who does not need the ball and can play (SG,SF) and guard (PG,SG,SF) multiple positions. He is one of those leap of faith players I guess. You have to have confidence in your scouting staff.

What? :o

Come on X. Ariza is Nowhere near as good a basketball player as Tayshaun Prince.

And he's surely not the 4th best player on the Lakers.

Kobe/Gasol/Odom/Fisher/Bynum are all better and more important to that team than Ariza. Shannon Brown is currently making a case as well.

Trevor Ariza X? Seriously. lol

What? :o

Come on X. Ariza is Nowhere near as good a basketball player as Tayshaun Prince.

And he's surely not the 4th best player on the Lakers.

Kobe/Gasol/Odom/Fisher/Bynum are all better and more important to that team than Ariza. Shannon Brown is currently making a case as well.

Trevor Ariza X? Seriously. lol

Maybe you have been watching a different playoff series than me. You might make an argument for a healthy Bynum but he hasn't been healthy this season. So I would say Ariza has been the best player for the Lakers sans Kobe, Gasol, and Odom.

Yes, Ariza is just as good as Prince. The only difference is that Prince can guard SG/SF/PF.

This is Memphis X:

JumpTheShark.jpg

Would the Pistons have won the title with a lineup of Billups/Hamilton/Ariza/Sheed/Ben Wallace?

Yes, if Karl Malone blows out his knee before the finals. Why wouldn't they?

I can dig that. Kobe/gasol/Bynum/Ariza? Is that the order there? I'd have to put Odom right there with Ariza on LAL right now, but that's beside the point, or maybe Odom is in front of Bynum and his knee and his brain?

I think the leap of faith involved with Ariza is that one is left to wonder if he could perform at last night's level on a midlevel team. When with NYK and ORL, he was good, but not like he is now...but experience has helped him mitigate his mistakes too. Out of last year's crop of Pietrus/Evans/Ariza, I would take Ariza just over Evans.

No, you seriously overrate him.

Prince can routinely make an outside shot which is what we're lacking. Don't get me wrong, I like Ariza, but I can't really see him as a guy that can help get us over the hump with his skill set.

You have to have confidence in your scouting staff.

Would this be the same scouting staff that has brought us three straight years of twenty win seasons??? the same staff that brought us the powerhouses of troy bell, alexander johnson, lawrence roberts, tarence kinsey, jake tsakalidas, dahntay jones and many other stellar guys picked up via trade or draft?????? I have faith alright, you just may not wanna hear the way i faithfully think this "scouting staff" can evaluate talent.

Would this be the same scouting staff that has brought us three straight years of twenty win seasons??? the same staff that brought us the powerhouses of troy bell, alexander johnson, lawrence roberts, tarence kinsey, jake tsakalidas, dahntay jones and many other stellar guys picked up via trade or draft?????? I have faith alright, you just may not wanna hear the way i faithfully think this "scouting staff" can evaluate talent.

You forgot to mention Shane Battier, Rudy Gay, O.J. Mayo, Pau Gasol, Mike Conley.

You forgot to mention Shane Battier, Rudy Gay, O.J. Mayo, Pau Gasol, Mike Conley.

we gave up shane for rudy, we gave up pau for kwame, crittendon, arthur and marc (marc the only +1) we have not won more than twenty four games with rudy, conley was taken because oden, durant, horford (the real three they wanted) were already gone.

i can pick the prettiest turd in a turd pile, but can i make the best turdpile?

<===========Some players just got that ish.

If that horrible push shot with a one-sec differential had not gone in, he's found in pieces under Navy Pier...

..but it went in :)

Ok X. Here it is.

Do you give BG $9M with escalation for four/five years?

'cuz that's what he's gonna demand/command.

Tough call on him right now.

If that horrible push shot with a one-sec differential had not gone in, he's found in pieces under Navy Pier...

..but it went in :)

Ok X. Here it is.

Do you give BG $9M with escalation for four/five years?

'cuz that's what he's gonna demand/command.

Tough call on him right now.

No.

If he wants to take 6-7 million coming off the bench ala Manu Ginobili then yeah. Sure. But like you said, he will demand 9-10 million dollars a year so it's doubtful the Griz sign him.

From Gordon's standpoint, he won't want to come off the bench and from Memphis' standpoint, do you want to pay a guy 10 million to come off the bench when you have a glaring hole at the 4?

If we land Griffin then it might make it easier to pay Gordon that kind of money. But with the PF spot so open, I can't see Heisley paying 10 million for a backup guard.

BUT...if we trade Conley then who knows?