Ole Dirty Klondike

What Can Be Done to Keep JJJ on the floor? What Options Do We Have?

27 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

So we can't call up Hustle players yet?  Didn't know that.

We can send players to the Hustle and we can call them back...but no we can't call up a player who is not a Grizzley....we can call Josh up...but not Dusty...you can sign him on 10 day contract on January 5th, 2020...provided we have an empty roster spot...

50 minutes ago, Dwash said:

And my point from the beginning is that there is minimal evidence that it actually makes a substantial difference, other than a few cases here and there.

Would you agree that you can't make that case until you start using it for that purpose?

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Would you agree that you can't make that case until you start using it for that purpose?

Haven’t we used it for Deyonta, Ivan, Washburn and Yuta? Did any of them seem to get better after stints down there? Front office have cut three of those four, so I’m guessing they don’t think so. Looked through the list of those 48 call-ups from last season and I see maybe 5 tops that have a chance at cracking a rotation. G League may be more useful for coaches trying out new schemes or rising up the ranks (e.g., Stackhouse). 

Back in 1999 I started boxing,  the thing about boxing was repetition.  I swear I have thrown almost 1 million jabs in my life and 1 mill of every other punch for that matter.  I say that to say reputation creates habits.  Tell him to not try to block a single shot just contest it.  Let Ja and Tyus attack him over and over and over.  This is the time that Marc would be very useful.  

Just now, toocoolkellz said:

Back in 1999 I started boxing,  the thing about boxing was repetition.  I swear I have thrown almost 1 million jabs in my life and 1 mill of every other punch for that matter.  I say that to say reputation creates habits.  Tell him to not try to block a single shot just contest it.  Let Ja and Tyus attack him over and over and over.  This is the time that Marc would be very useful.  

If you look at his fouls per minute, they actually seemed to be going down over the course of the season and then went back up after trading Marc. Correlation/causation?!

Just now, ACGrizz said:

If you look at his fouls per minute, they actually seemed to be going down over the course of the season and then went back up after trading Marc. Correlation/causation?!

Probably more pt,  or lack of Marcs influnce,  or Marc taking the harder assignment 

3 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

He needs to learn how to defend like Shane Battier.  Battier got a few blocks but not a ton, didn't even get a lot of steals (in relative terms).  

Even Dennis Rodman didn't post monster steals and blocks numbers and he was one of the best defenders EVER.  And, if you wanted a guy who could guard point guards, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, AND Shaq, then Rodman was THE BEST.

Jaren shouldn't try to be the next Dikembe or Bill Russell.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:58 AM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I agree with this to a certain degree. I think his awkwardness has a lot to do with it which is even more of a concern for me. People say he will grow into his body but we shall see 

IDK if letting him foul out every game will do much either but he needs to learn quickly.

Jumping rope helps get the coordination together.  

24 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Haven’t we used it for Deyonta, Ivan, Washburn and Yuta? Did any of them seem to get better after stints down there? Front office have cut three of those four, so I’m guessing they don’t think so. Looked through the list of those 48 call-ups from last season and I see maybe 5 tops that have a chance at cracking a rotation. G League may be more useful for coaches trying out new schemes or rising up the ranks (e.g., Stackhouse). 

You're jumping into the conversation rather late but I will try to explain this for you. 

The front office cut one player (Ivan Rabb). Washburn wasn't resigned after being called up. Deyonta was traded away and Yuta is still under contract. The Grizzlies aren't the only team with a dedicated G League team however. San Antonio has been extremely successful using their G League franchise (Austin Toros) to develop players.

It's not a sure fire road to success. Draft picks and free agent signings struggle in the NBA finding playing time and sitting on the bench. If a young player is struggling then you can use the D League to get him some playing time without hurting the franchise and hopefully work on weaknesses in his game. The options are to sit them on the bench and not let them play except in practice (which most people believe isn't helpful), play them and let them get busted in the NBA (like what happened in LA when Allen, Guduric, Clarke, Jones and Hill tried to stop Lebron, AD, Danny Green, Dwight Howard and Quinn Cook in the 3rd quarter) or send them to the Hustle to get playing time, work on their weaknesses and hope they improve. 

Of those three options the last seems the most logical to me.    

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

You're jumping into the conversation rather late but I will try to explain this for you. 

The front office cut one player (Ivan Rabb). Washburn wasn't resigned after being called up. Deyonta was traded away and Yuta is still under contract. The Grizzlies aren't the only team with a dedicated G League team however. San Antonio has been extremely successful using their G League franchise (Austin Toros) to develop players.

It's not a sure fire road to success. Draft picks and free agent signings struggle in the NBA finding playing time and sitting on the bench. If a young player is struggling then you can use the D League to get him some playing time without hurting the franchise and hopefully work on weaknesses in his game. The options are to sit them on the bench and not let them play except in practice (which most people believe isn't helpful), play them and let them get busted in the NBA (like what happened in LA when Allen, Guduric, Clarke, Jones and Hill tried to stop Lebron, AD, Danny Green, Dwight Howard and Quinn Cook in the 3rd quarter) or send them to the Hustle to get playing time, work on their weaknesses and hope they improve. 

The Spurs have been a perennial contender though, so it makes sense that they would send back-of-the-roster lower draft picks/undrafted players to the G League since playing them in actual NBA games could cause them to lose games (think they may have also sent Tony Parker for a game or two while he was coming back from injury). The Grizzlies are in no such position - we're not competing for anything but lottery balls, so it seems to me we should be utilizing the most realistic scenario (NBA games) to improve on our cornerstone players' weaknesses. Sure, they might get steamrolled at times, but I rather have Jaren practicing how to play effective defense against Anthony Davis than against Drew Eubanks of the Austin Spurs or Mike Davis of the Raptors 905.

I think G League should be utilized for injury rehab (Tony Parker did this) and developing role players.   Help them get reps working on 3pt shooting or rebounding or learning a new position.  

Star players need to get their development and burn with the big squad.   

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I would say that the entire body of work from the gleague as a whole (all teams) is what I would look at to decide its value.  Since thats who they are practicing against.

On 10/30/2019 at 9:21 AM, Dwash said:

His coordination always lands him in the wrong spot. He tries to body up to his msn but ends up leaning on him. All types of things but his awkwardness causes the fouls.

I would say just let him play until he fouls out. Dont sub for him when he is in foul trouble.

I agree keep him out there until he fouls out. He will develop a consistent rhythm if we sub him based on fouls. Keeping him on the bench to save fouls I don’t believe is the answer. He has to learn in the fire which means keep him in the game until he disqualifies himself. 

26 minutes ago, QMemphis said:

I agree keep him out there until he fouls out. He will develop a consistent rhythm if we sub him based on fouls. Keeping him on the bench to save fouls I don’t believe is the answer. He has to learn in the fire which means keep him in the game until he disqualifies himself. 

agreed

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Not that it makes any difference, but Washburn was traded, for Andre Iguodala, I believe.

Have there been players of any significance that have been held back long term by fouling too much? If the answer is no, then it is probably too early to worry about it.

17 minutes ago, Ja-Ren Clarke said:

He hasn't even played a full season yet. Who are you guys?

Well, he didn't play a full season in college either. Not sure what you're getting at, no one advocated trading him(well, I think one post did). 

Only option for JJJ is work, work and more work. he is a clever young guy so he will make it.

I would agree for MArko. HE need to go to G LEague , play 30 min, get some 20 points games and his shooting will come back. THe guys shoot 47% behind the arc in Euroleague... just need time and taking more shoot . G league is the best place for that.

7 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

The Spurs have been a perennial contender though, so it makes sense that they would send back-of-the-roster lower draft picks/undrafted players to the G League since playing them in actual NBA games could cause them to lose games (think they may have also sent Tony Parker for a game or two while he was coming back from injury). The Grizzlies are in no such position - we're not competing for anything but lottery balls, so it seems to me we should be utilizing the most realistic scenario (NBA games) to improve on our cornerstone players' weaknesses. Sure, they might get steamrolled at times, but I rather have Jaren practicing how to play effective defense against Anthony Davis than against Drew Eubanks of the Austin Spurs or Mike Davis of the Raptors 905.

I‘Ve said this before and I will say it again. I don’t believe JJJ will benefit going to the G League. I do believe some of our wings (Allen, Guduric) would benefit.

I do believe despite the Grizzlies current prospects that they should learn from the example set by the Spurs and utilize the G League as a feeding and training system for the Grizzlies.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Not that it makes any difference, but Washburn was traded, for Andre Iguodala, I believe.

I didn’t know that. 

14 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, he didn't play a full season in college either. Not sure what you're getting at, no one advocated trading him(well, I think one post did). 

that was my post, and for the record, i don't think we should be on any agenda to trade jjj. love the guy, and i think that he will improve big time and mature.

what i said was that i could have seen jerry west making a decision on him very quickly and making a move.

slim.