Ole Dirty Klondike

What Can Be Done to Keep JJJ on the floor? What Options Do We Have?

6 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

How many times has Jaren scored over 30 points in a game in his career? Like 2 or 3? That was more of a scoring outburst than the norm. It's hard for him to score if he's in foul trouble. He also went or the FT line 19 times which is not the norm for him.

He just needs to stay on the floor.

What are you saying? You want him on the bench???

A discussion started about whether Jaren should be 6th man because of his rebounding and fouls. I gave my answer to that. You now quoting my answer to make what case???

Jaren has scored 20+ 7/19 games this season. One of these 19 games, he left the court early for injury.

Jonas 20+ 2/18 games

Dillon 20+ 5/20 games

Ja 20+ 9/17 games

Crowder, who will probably traded, 20+ 2/20 games

Hill 20+ 1/18 games

No one else on the roster has had a 20+ game so far.

Jaren on the bench??

WTF?

You people have lost your dang minds.

Let's just trade the dude now, while he has value, and complete the full obliteration of this team.

Then we don't have to read this boring repetitive whining over and over and over and over and over.

Jaren Jackson - the new Marc Gasol Grizzlies fanboards whipping boy.....

SMFH

6 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

How many times has Jaren scored over 30 points in a game in his career? Like 2 or 3? He also went or the FT line 19 times which is not the norm for him.

9 times, get your facts straight

So what?

How many times does Harden, or Trae, or Doncic get to the line per game?

Yeah, their points are a mirage, it didn't happen, because most of it is at the FT line....

13 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

i look at it this way if Jv was surrounded be slowmo,bruno,clark,melton (looks like he rebounds well for a guard) other great rebounders he wouldn't have the rebound numbers he has and @chipc3 would most likely say he is a terrible rebounder

I call BS.

A great rebounder comes from desire. A great rebounder would be getting rebounds even on a team of great rebounders. Besides no one would put SloMo, Brandon, Bruno and JV on the court at the same time anyway. When having to resort to ridiculous lineups you belittle the argument.

Dennis Rodman was a great rebounder. You put him on the court With anyone and he is getting the board more often than not because he wants it more than anyone else. Jerry West used to say you can teach someone to shoot but rebounding is about desire. Either it is in your heart or it isn’t. Jaren doesn’t have that desire or drive. 

35 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

A discussion started about whether Jaren should be 6th man because of his rebounding and fouls. I gave my answer to that. You now quoting my answer to make what case???

Jaren has scored 20+ 7/19 games this season. One of these 19 games, he left the court early for injury.

Jonas 20+ 2/18 games

Dillon 20+ 5/20 games

Ja 20+ 9/17 games

Hill 20+ 1/18 games

Jaren on the bench??

WTF?

Let's just trade the dude now, while he has value, and complete the full obliteration of this team.

Then we don't have to read this boring repetitive whining over and over and over and over and over.

SMFH

21 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

9 times, get your facts straight

So what?

How many times does Harden, or Trae, or Doncic get to the line per game?

Yeah, their points are a mirage, it didn't happen, because most of it is at the FT line....

LOL, stop being so sensitive. I wasn't attacking you. You said if Jaren regularly scores like that, i just pointed out that this was not his regular scoring pattern. Nothing more nothing less. Have no idea how you jumped to any other conclusion. 

38 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Jonas 20+ 2/18 games

Dillon 20+ 5/20 games

Ja 20+ 9/17 games

Hill 20+ 1/18 games

Jaren on the bench??

WTF?

SMFH

Was Doc Rivers "out of his mind" when he had the team's second best scorer coming off the bench last season?  Who says you can't average 20ppg coming off the bench?

40 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Was Doc Rivers "out of his mind" when he had the team's second best scorer coming off the bench last season?  Who says you can't average 20ppg coming off the bench?

So why do you want to do this?

What aims are you hoping to achieve?

And yeah, when we are so devoid of talent compared to last year's Clippers, that would make no sense to me.

Who are you planning to replace Jaren with in the starting line up?

44 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

LOL, stop being so sensitive. I wasn't attacking you. You said if Jaren regularly scores like that, i just pointed out that this was not his regular scoring pattern. Nothing more nothing less. Have no idea how you jumped to any other conclusion. 

I'm not being sensitive, and I get it, I didn't take it that you were attacking me, just as I am not you.

But still not sure what you are proposing, and the facts you are putting up are not waterproof.

Jaren had had more 20+ games this season than anyone on the roster except Ja. And this comprises approx 40% of his games this year. So to say this is not the norm, infers that it is an exception, and I dispute that, and the numbers don't support your statement.

20 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I'm not being sensitive, and I get it, I didn't take it that you were attacking me, just as I am not you.

But still not sure what you are proposing, and the facts you are putting up are not waterproof.

Jaren had had more 20+ games this season than anyone on the roster except Ja. And this comprises approx 40% of his games this year. So to say this is not the norm, infers that it is an exception, and I dispute that, and the numbers don't support your statement.

How many 30 point games has Jaren had in his career?

4 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

How many 30 point games has Jaren had in his career?

More than anyone else on the roster.

What does this have to do with what we were discussing?

What is your proposal?

G-league right?

First it was Conley

Then it was Rudy

Then they moved Rudy, so it became Zach's fault

All the while during and after it was always Tony's fault

Then they moved Zach, so it was Marc's fault

Then it was Mike's fault because he took so much money.

Now it's Jaren's fault. or Jonas' fault

All the while from Hamed, to Qpon, to Calathes, to Jarrel to the dude from Vanderbuilt and everyone else in between getting the love.

Trade them both, and then we can work up to blaming Ja via Brandon

big hunk..

relax. saying a young guy needs to work on his game doesn’t mean folks are being mean or wanting him gone. jtrip has some incredible potential and raw talent. good guy, but he has a lot of work to do in order to be a legitimate player in the league. 

as it stands, a good coach could go at him defensively and run him off the court in very little time. that’s a huge issue and one that hasn’t improved since he first walked on a nba court. 

rebounding is also a major deficiency. he’s soft in this regard. doesn’t mean he can’t mature and improve. if you choose to sit back and say everyone is just attacking one of our great players- well, you can do that. however, the reality is there are areas in which he has to put in some work. that’s all I’m saying anyway. 

slim. 

10 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'll probably get flamed for suggesting such blasphemy, but IF Jaren fails to control his fouls or improve his rebounding, should the Grizzlies consider using him a a sixthman?

he can be great off the bench....

11 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

How many times has Jaren scored over 30 points in a game in his career? Like 2 or 3? That was more of a scoring outburst than the norm. It's hard for him to score if he's in foul trouble. He also went or the FT line 19 times which is not the norm for him.

He just needs to stay on the floor.

He didn't go to the line 19 times. He went to the line 9 times. He needs to get to the line way more often though because he is an excellent FT shooter. If he averages 6-7 trips a game (he's averaging just 2.8). 7 trips is right in between Embiid and Kat as far as attempts per game. I think his athleticism against centers would allow him to get there at least 5 times a game, as well as just being more aggressive. 

6 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

What is your proposal?

G-league right?

Once again, i have no idea what you're talking about. I am just pointing out that JJJ scoring 30 ppg is not the norm, you made the comment "not if he i s scoring regularly in games like he did yesterday." i am just pointing out that he does not regularly score like that. ANything else you are adding is pure conjecture and you are reading between lines that are not there.

6 hours ago, memphis slim said:

big hunk..

relax. saying a young guy needs to work on his game doesn’t mean folks are being mean or wanting him gone. jtrip has some incredible potential and raw talent. good guy, but he has a lot of work to do in order to be a legitimate player in the league. 

as it stands, a good coach could go at him defensively and run him off the court in very little time. that’s a huge issue and one that hasn’t improved since he first walked on a nba court. 

rebounding is also a major deficiency. he’s soft in this regard. doesn’t mean he can’t mature and improve. if you choose to sit back and say everyone is just attacking one of our great players- well, you can do that. however, the reality is there are areas in which he has to put in some work. that’s all I’m saying anyway. 

slim. 

Thanks. I'm moving on.

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

He didn't go to the line 19 times. He went to the line 9 times. He needs to get to the line way more often though because he is an excellent FT shooter. If he averages 6-7 trips a game (he's averaging just 2.8). 7 trips is right in between Embiid and Kat as far as attempts per game. I think his athleticism against centers would allow him to get there at least 5 times a game, as well as just being more aggressive. 

I made a mistake. it was incorrect but yes, he needs to go to the line more 

Fans have no patience. Look at Giannis or Siakam or Draymond , in their first two seasons they looked average or bad, and then... 

Almost Every player needs at least a couple of years in the nba. 3J is still a kid, trust him. 

43 minutes ago, Myers said:

Fans have no patience. Look at Giannis or Siakam or Draymond , in their first two seasons they looked average or bad, and then... 

Almost Every player needs at least a couple of years in the nba. 3J is still a kid, trust him. 

exactly, you typically can't make judgments on a player until at least 3 yrs in the league.

8 hours ago, memphis slim said:

big hunk..

slim. 

where are you guys getting this "jaren is soft "stuff...are you going by his rebound numbers or actually watching the game because i rarely see jaren on the court and be like he could have got that rebound usually he is in the mix atleast trying.

10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I call BS.

A great rebounder comes from desire. A great rebounder would be getting rebounds even on a team of great rebounders. Besides no one would put SloMo, Brandon, Bruno and JV on the court at the same time anyway. When having to resort to ridiculous lineups you belittle the argument.

Dennis Rodman was a great rebounder. You put him on the court With anyone and he is getting the board more often than not because he wants it more than anyone else. Jerry West used to say you can teach someone to shoot but rebounding is about desire. Either it is in your heart or it isn’t. Jaren doesn’t have that desire or drive. 

dude you missed the hole point...you guys are to worried with jarens rebound NUMBER...in a lineup (which is not ridiculous) of melton/clark/slowmo/bruno/jv...jv would not be averaging 10rbs per game because there are other above average rebounders around him to alleviate the need to go after every rebound.. unless he is the designated rebound guys...you put kobe on a team full of scores he is not going to average the same but it doesn't mean he is not a good of a scorer...

Gasol had no "desire "and he was an AWFUL rebounder at age 30.

However Chip never once attack him like he is doing with Jaren.

11 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

What is your proposal?

G-league right?

WRONG!  Jonas has had more 30 point games than Jaren.  The difference is that when Jonas has a thirty point game he usually has double-digit rebounds too.  How many 30/20 games has Jaren had?

11 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

So why do you want to do this?

What aims are you hoping to achieve?

And yeah, when we are so devoid of talent compared to last year's Clippers, that would make no sense to me.

Who are you planning to replace Jaren with in the starting line up?

I never said I want to do this.  I wouldn't rule it out if he doesn't improve either.  I merely proposed it as a discussion point.  Don't get me wrong, I think highly of Jaren, but the truth might be that he has less potential than we think, in which case sixth man might be his best spot.  It's really too early to tell now.

12 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Dennis Rodman was a great rebounder. You put him on the court With anyone and he is getting the board more often than not because he wants it more than anyone else.

He was also really, really good at knowing where the rebound would go. I remember several times thinking, "why is he standing THERE?" followed by "sonofagun, he was right again!"

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I never said I want to do this.  I wouldn't rule it out if he doesn't improve either.  I merely proposed it as a discussion point.  Don't get me wrong, I think highly of Jaren, but the truth might be that he has less potential than we think, in which case sixth man might be his best spot.

agree 110%

11 minutes ago, TimBC said:

He was also really, really good at knowing where the rebound would go. I remember several times thinking, "why is he standing THERE?" followed by "sonofagun, he was right again!"

I saw an advanced stats paper that someone did about 10 years ago and it had Dennis Rodman as the greatest player in NBA history — and it wasn’t even close.

Might be hyperbole but he is kinda forgotten about and for what he did he was one of the best.  

31 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

WRONG!  Jonas has had more 30 point games than Jaren.  The difference is that when Jonas has a thirty point game he usually has double-digit rebounds too.  How many 30/20 games has Jaren had?

How many more games has Jonas played?

Double? Triple? Quadruple?

What is this discussion about?