Ole Dirty Klondike

What Can Be Done to Keep JJJ on the floor? What Options Do We Have?

Jaren shows a tendency to be a self-starter on offense and eventually this will carry over to rebounds.
In the mean time, can I get an AMEN for Bruno's boarding and D?

36 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Jaren Jackson, Jr. is currently on pace to average a similar stat line as a 31 year old Bob McAdoo.  

McAdoo couldn't hit the three like Jaren can. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

McAdoo couldn't hit the three like Jaren can. 

Promising for Jaren!  McAdoo had range, but I guess not JJJ range.  Although the 3 point line either didn't exist or wasn't a big of a "thing" when McAdoo played.  Jaren is probably better on defense (or projects better) than McAdoo.  McAdoo had solid-to-very-good shot blocking numbers (especially for his size) so I would think they are fairly equal on that front.

Bob McAdoo type centers would do better in this NBA.  Or, taller finesse bigs like Kareem.  Hook shots, quick dunks, and face up shooting/driving/Euro steps are probably the way to go.  Dream Shakes that have to fend off 3 guys after stopping the ball probably won't work as well.  Rim runners are probably more likely to get hit in the face.  Gotta dunk THROUGH guys now -- not just over and around defenders.

If current prospects project favorably to 70s/80s archetypes (especially bigs) then they will do more favorably on my big boards.  Guys who would have been better off the dead ball 50's or the dead ball late Nineties/Early 00's will do less well in my big boards.

I think scores/scoring/pace DISINFLATES but probably not that rapidly.  Forwards/Centers/Rebounders/Passers/Versatile Defenders should do better.

3 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

So Jaren ISN'T the next 31 year old Bob McAdoo?

Image result for i hadn't thought of that gif

1 minute ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

this rebounding thing is stupid...3js could average double digit rebounds it hes was the rebound guy on the team a al JV.

We would have to take a deep dive into the rebounding "advanced stats" to see if he is good, bad, or mediocre in the rebounding department.  

I have seen him compete fairly well for some rebounds.  And even wrestling away rebounds from other players.  

If he is trending in the right direction, that's fine.  

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

We would have to take a deep dive into the rebounding "advanced stats" to see if he is good, bad, or mediocre in the rebounding department.  

I have seen him compete fairly well for some rebounds.  And even wrestling away rebounds from other players.  

If he is trending in the right direction, that's fine.  

my point was that some guys are great rebounders because that's there job/role...some guys even get annoyed by there teammates when they steal rebounds from them...imo if the team isn't given up alot of offenive rebounds then it  not a problem...it doesn't matter if 3js and JV averaged 3 rebounds a game.

5 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

my point was that some guys are great rebounders because that's there job/role...some guys even get annoyed by there teammates when they steal rebounds from them...imo if the team isn't given up alot of offenive rebounds then it  not a problem...it doesn't matter if 3js and JV averaged 3 rebounds a game.

Yeah.

I guess Jaren is our THIRD rebounder.  Jonas is going for 9.8 a game in 24.7 minutes per night.  Clarke comes off the bench but he looks to be really effective on the glass -- plus it is more in line with his job description (rebounds/dunks/defense).  

We are 14th overall in rebounds, so maybe that could improve if Ja upped his rebounding a bit, and if we had better minutes/rotation distributions with Jonas/Jaren/Clarke.  If we played Bruno a bit more (especially with another good rebounder), brought up Josh Jackson (especially as a 2 guard) or Konchar (off-ball point guard) then our rebounding effectiveness should go up.

Tyus Jones is probably a weak link here, too.  Although maybe not.

I feel that rebounding is more random/chaotic now.  These 25 foot bombs are bouncing all over the place.  

We also have no size off the bench (other than Clarke and he isn't huge, and we aren't playing Bruno that much) which hurts.  Even our backup guards are small (Tyus/Grayson), and neither are long.

6 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah.

I guess Jaren is our THIRD rebounder.  Jonas is going for 9.8 a game in 24.7 minutes per night.  Clarke comes off the bench but he looks to be really effective on the glass -- plus it is more in line with his job description (rebounds/dunks/defense).  

We are 14th overall in rebounds, so maybe that could improve if Ja upped his rebounding a bit, and if we had better minutes/rotation distributions with Jonas/Jaren/Clarke.  If we played Bruno a bit more (especially with another good rebounder), brought up Josh Jackson (especially as a 2 guard) or Konchar (off-ball point guard) then our rebounding effectiveness should go up.

Tyus Jones is probably a weak link here, too.  Although maybe not.

I feel that rebounding is more random/chaotic now.  These 25 foot bombs are bouncing all over the place.  

We also have no size off the bench (other than Clarke and he isn't huge, and we aren't playing Bruno that much) which hurts.  Even our backup guards are small (Tyus/Grayson), and neither are long.

i look at it this way if Jv was surrounded be slowmo,bruno,clark,melton (looks like he rebounds well for a guard) other great rebounders he wouldn't have the rebound numbers he has and @chipc3 would most likely say he is a terrible rebounder

I can't get too worked up about JJJs rebounding, we rebound just fine as a team. Middle of the pack in total rebounds and % and near the top on number of contested rebounds. 

To answer the question, he's not a good rebounder. He's 108 in the league in total rebound percentage, behind JV, Jae, and Clarke on our team and 1 spot ahead of Hill. 

That's middle of the road for all players, pretty bad for PFs or Cs. Slightly better on the offensive boards than on defense, which I think is where he needs to get better. 

25 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

To answer the question, he's not a good rebounder. He's 108 in the league in total rebound percentage, behind JV, Jae, and Clarke on our team and 1 spot ahead of Hill. 

That's middle of the road for all players, pretty bad for PFs or Cs. Slightly better on the offensive boards than on defense, which I think is where he needs to get better. 

Where can I access this stat because I'd like to see how Jaren compares to other PFs and Cs in this stat, but I'd also like to compare other aspects of these players against Jaren like total and % made 3s, steals, knockaways, and assists

Talk about making excuses. 

Now some are saying rebounding isn't important for a 6'11 - 7ft big man. 

All nonsense about the system, about him being on the perimeter, about now more long shots are taken causing longer rebounds. Bottom line is does he have the heart to hunt for rebounds. 

No exception, his rebounding rate is pathetic for a supposedly franchise big. 

26 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Where can I access this stat because I'd like to see how Jaren compares to other PFs and Cs in this stat, but I'd also like to compare other aspects of these players against Jaren like total and % made 3s, steals, knockaways, and assists

Basketball reference is THE stats website. You can find all player stats here: https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2020_totals.html

6 hours ago, Dwash said:

i think it was rebounding differential. Maybe not the absolute best but easily among the best consistently with no double digit rebounders.

Rebounding differential is a far better stat to gauge how well a team rebounds.  Teams who play at a slower pace will always have lower rebounding numbers, even if they are outrebounding their opponents.

I wonder how we stack up compared to the other teams.   Edit:  16th at -0.2

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Rebounding differential is a far better stat to gauge how well a team rebounds.  Teams who play at a slower pace will always have lower rebounding numbers, even if they are outrebounding their opponents.

I wonder how we stack up compared to the other teams.   Edit:  16th at -0.2

rebounding numbers are weird...you have to take defense/offense in to account...they has to be misses for there to be rebounds

1 hour ago, Teddy.B said:

Talk about making excuses. 

Now some are saying rebounding isn't important for a 6'11 - 7ft big man. 

All nonsense about the system, about him being on the perimeter, about now more long shots are taken causing longer rebounds. Bottom line is does he have the heart to hunt for rebounds. 

No exception, his rebounding rate is pathetic for a supposedly franchise big. 

its not a problem until its a problem and right now its not a problem.

6 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

rebounding numbers are weird...you have to take defense/offense in to account...they has to be misses for there to be rebounds

Differential is simple.  It's how well you perform head-to-head against your opponents.  How many boards per game your team gets is irrelevant.  What's relevant is whether or not they win the battle of the boards against their opponent each night.

I'll probably get flamed for suggesting such blasphemy, but IF Jaren fails to control his fouls or improve his rebounding, should the Grizzlies consider using him a a sixthman?

10 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'll probably get flamed for suggesting such blasphemy, but IF Jaren fails to control his fouls or improve his rebounding, should the Grizzlies consider using him a a sixthman?

not if he is scoring regularly in games like he did yesterday. Why disrupt that?

Fouls can be a problem to himself and the team. Rebounds not so much if the team is winning the differential.

It would be interesting to know Jenkins' take on these two issues. The fouls predictably he would say Jaren needs to do better. The rebounding would be interesting, it would give us an insight into his overal structure and how Jaren and the others are fitting into that, and completing their assignments 

2 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

not if he is scoring regularly in games like he did yesterday. Why disrupt that?

Fouls can be a problem to himself and the team. Rebounds not so much if the team is winning the differential.

It would be interesting to know Jenkins' take on these two issues. The fouls predictably he would say Jaren needs to do better. The rebounding would be interesting, it would give us an insight into his overal structure and how Jaren and the others are fitting into that, and completing their assignments 

How many times has Jaren scored over 30 points in a game in his career? Like 2 or 3? That was more of a scoring outburst than the norm. It's hard for him to score if he's in foul trouble. He also went or the FT line 19 times which is not the norm for him.

He just needs to stay on the floor.