Ole Dirty Klondike

What Can Be Done to Keep JJJ on the floor? What Options Do We Have?

Recommended Posts

Should we send Jaren down to the G-League for a 5-7 game stint to work on his fouling? I mean, it's ridiculous. He's averaging almost 5 fouls a game in 4 game this year. This is really disappointing. He's the son of an NBA player and had a full off-season to work on this. He had trouble in college as well. The loss of his presence on the floor really hurts the Grizz. Maybe sending him to the G-League will show him to take this seriously. The guy has talent but he doesn't always seem to be aware of what's going on on the court and finds himself in bad situations picking up ticky tack fouls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes we should send him to the g league....and when time comes to sign an extension...he will remember it as a fun time ...he has really low bbiq...g league can't fix low bbiq...it could be unfixable....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Should we send Jaren down to the G-League for a 5-7 game stint to work on his fouling? i mean, it's ridiculous. He's averaging almost 5 fouls a game in 4 game this year. This is really disappointing. He's the son of an NBA player and had a full off-season to work on this. He had trouble in college as well. The loss of his presence on teh floor really hurts the Grizz. Maybe sending him to the G-League will show him to take this seriously. Th eguy has talent but he doesn't always seem to be aware of what's going on on the court and finds himself in bad situations picking up ticky tack fouls. 

This is the exact same problem he had in college and last season. I haven't seen any improvement in his game this season from last season (I didn't see him in college). It's a little surprising he doesn't have a higher BBIQ (or better looking shot for that matter) with his pedigree. 

Unfortunately I don't see the G League as the answer. He would dominate and not get into foul trouble because there aren't many players who can challenge him down there. It's a wing league not a paint league. Young wings can get something out of playing there but bigs don't really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

This is the exact same problem he had in college and last season. I haven't seen any improvement in his game this season from last season (I didn't see him in college). It's a little surprising he doesn't have a higher BBIQ (or better looking shot for that matter) with his pedigree. 

Unfortunately I don't see the G League as the answer. He would dominate and not get into foul trouble because there aren't many players who can challenge him down there. It's a wing league not a paint league. Young wings can get something out of playing there but bigs don't really. 

Yeah, it may not be teh answer but I would do it as a wake up call and hope he gets the message or some type of message. I don't think he's a top dog, never did. He's a nice complementary player but not a top dog but he needs to stay on the floor because he does change teh look of the team when he's on the floor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Yeah, it may not be teh answer but I would do it as a wake up call and hope he gets the message or some type of message. I don't think he's a top dog, never did. He's a nice complementary player but not a top dog but he needs to stay on the floor because he does change teh look of the team when he's on the floor. 

Be careful. Parsons Refund has been threatening anyone who suggests JJJ isn't an Alpha or hasn't improved since last season. I am sure you are shaking in your boots at the thought! 

Image result for scared gif funny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya'll are ridiculous. Want to destroy a young guy's confidence who has been run out as the face of the franchise? Then send him to the g-league. Yes, he had a really bad game and yes he hasn't improved on the fouls. But give our rookie head coach some time and hopefully don't start the game with your foul prone power forward  Anthony "Shaq" Davis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The frustrating thing is I can't figure out if he does better at the C position (fouling-wise) or PF.      But i agree it is beyond ridiculous and have never seen anything like it.      He needs to let Brandon Clarke mentor him because that kid stays vertical on blocks and moves his feet on defense.    You rarely ever see him just aimlessly reaching on defense.  

Yea JJJ fouling is hurting the team development more than anything.   Him and Ja arent able to develop chemistry because he always has to go to the bench. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

im not advocating for it, but jerry west would trade him imo.

when jw traded gooden, it shocked all of us. in hindsight, it was a brilliant move.

 

slim.

Image result for did he just say that gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i did not answer the post question- no, i don't feel that humiliating him (which it would) by sending him down is the answer. i could see playing time being a good tool in which to motivate him to learn a little quicker if you will.

the pink elephant in the room in my opinion is this- if ja remains relatively healthy (please all things holy), and he continues to learn, make adjustments and be productive on the court...how will this impact jjj if things pretty much stay on his current trajectory..? that is something to keep a close watch on if you ask me..will there be some jealousy start to take hold? shall see.

 

slim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His coordination always lands him in the wrong spot. He tries to body up to his msn but ends up leaning on him. All types of things but his awkwardness causes the fouls.

I would say just let him play until he fouls out. Dont sub for him when he is in foul trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dwash said:

His coordination always lands him in the wrong spot. He tries to body up to his msn but ends up leaning on him. All types of things but his awkwardness causes the fouls.

I would say just let him play until he fouls out. Dont sub for him when he is in foul trouble.

So you want only want him to play in the first half of games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

So you want only want him to play in the first half of games?

Thats up to him. But atleast he would build chemistry with the first unit without constantly sitting for the first half and beginning of the third. Hopefully over the long run he gets more conscious after being disqualified early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Thats up to him. But atleast he would build chemistry with the first unit without constantly sitting for the first half and beginning of the third. Hopefully over the long run he gets more conscious after being disqualified early.

He's not building chemistry if he isn't playing in crunch time. If Jackson hasn't realized that his foul troubles are keeping off the court yet I sincerely doubt just playing him until he fouls out will correct the problem but that is just me. Frankly this problem is something that needs to be worked on in the off-season with a private big man coach.

Clearly JJJ didn't work hard enough on his game this past summer because I see him making all the same mistakes he made last season (and in college for that matter). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

He's not building chemistry if he isn't playing in crunch time. If Jackson hasn't realized that his foul troubles are keeping off the court yet I sincerely doubt just playing him until he fouls out will correct the problem but that is just me. Frankly this problem is something that needs to be worked on in the off-season with a private big man coach.

Clearly JJJ didn't work hard enough on his game this past summer because I see him making all the same mistakes he made last season (and in college for that matter). 

Or worked on different, possibly wrong, things. I think his handle looks better and he's more confident taking guys on the dribble, he's also finished with his right a few times which I don't think he ever did last year. I think there was an expectation that the fouling would sort itself out and it hasn't yet but we're only 4 games in. In all the summer league coaching clips we saw the coach was emphasising 'verticality' on defense so hopefully it won't take too long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dwash said:

His coordination always lands him in the wrong spot. He tries to body up to his msn but ends up leaning on him. All types of things but his awkwardness causes the fouls.

I would say just let him play until he fouls out. Dont sub for him when he is in foul trouble.

I agree with this philosophy.   Play Jonas less in the opening half if he is still on minutes restriction.  So he will be available in the 4th when JJJ fouls out. 

Jaren needs to get into a rhythm to be effective and his fouling prevents that.   

and no dropping him down to the G League would be the worst thing to do.   It would assure us of losing him in a few years.   For all his faults he is still very young and a great prospect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

He's not building chemistry if he isn't playing in crunch time. If Jackson hasn't realized that his foul troubles are keeping off the court yet I sincerely doubt just playing him until he fouls out will correct the problem but that is just me. Frankly this problem is something that needs to be worked on in the off-season with a private big man coach.

Clearly JJJ didn't work hard enough on his game this past summer because I see him making all the same mistakes he made last season (and in college for that matter). 

Dont see a lot of successful crunch time for this team either way unless Ja is carrying them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Davis is a hard dude to guard, he's a star, he gets calls like like all stars do and when he starts slowing down to get calls about all you can do is plaster him, make him think about it before he does it again. It's natural for 3J to go after every block he can, these same posters would be eating him alive if he quit trying to block those shots, let him go, see if he can get it on his own. He is not exactly the most nimble player on the team, let him plow some guys, maybe then they would get out of his way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Davis is a hard dude to guard, he's a star, he gets calls like like all stars do and when he starts slowing down to get calls about all you can do is plaster him, make him think about it before he does it again. It's natural for 3J to go after every block he can, these same posters would be eating him alive if he quit trying to block those shots, let him go, see if he can get it on his own. He is not exactly the most nimble player on the team, let him plow some guys, maybe then they would get out of his way.

This may be, but still doesn’t excuse the fact that through last year and so far on this one he is leading the leagues in fpg or close to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

He hasn't played a full year yet.

He’s played a full season albeit he missed a few games last year. You know what I meant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, srmjr23 said:

Ya'll are ridiculous. Want to destroy a young guy's confidence who has been run out as the face of the franchise? Then send him to the g-league. Yes, he had a really bad game and yes he hasn't improved on the fouls. But give our rookie head coach some time and hopefully don't start the game with your foul prone power forward  Anthony "Shaq" Davis. 

It's not just this one game. He's avg like  almost 5 fouls per game not to mention his foul trouble last year and in college.  He needs to have more court awareness.

Who was supposed to guard Davis? JJJ plays the 4. Who else was going to guard him? Jonas? Well he would have gotten in foul trouble last night as well with the way they called the game. The difference is McGhee would have had like 30 points on lob after lob because JJJ would have been out of place and fouling him as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now