I❤️JV

JOSH JACKSON SITUATION

This is the most recent commentary I found from Chris Herrington who generally has a great take on what is happening behind the scenes with the Grizzlies. 

I really don’t think there’s any conspiracy theory at play with Josh Jackson. In Phoenix, Jackson was pretty bad on the floor and worse away from it, and the Grizzlies have him on a kind of extended study abroad (can we call North Mississippi abroad?) to brush up and prove himself on both fronts. My understanding is that there’s nothing keeping Jackson in Southaven beyond organizational prerogatives and his ongoing acceptance of them.

As far as timeline, Jackson’s putting up good numbers with the Memphis Hustle and the Grizzlies are losing, so some impatience on this front is understandable. Maybe this will change, but my sense is that the Grizzlies are in no hurry on this. Barring injuries to a currently deep small-forward depth chart (Jae Crowder, Kyle Anderson, Solomon Hill, Marko Guduric), I suspect it will be at minimum a couple of weeks before you see Jackson in Beale Street Blue, and maybe much longer. 

Jackson’s been very productive for the Hustle: 20 points, eight rebounds, four assists and a combined three blocks and steals per game. (His hot 14-25 3-point shooting is pretty eye-catching.)

But consider this: In the Hustle’s last game, De’Anthony Melton, who hasn’t been a Hustle regular, showed up and scored more points, grabbed more rebounds and dished more assists than Jackson, and did so in fewer minutes. And Melton’s barely played for the Grizzlies. Lesson: Don't make too much of G League stat-stuffing. 

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2019/11/26/20982410/josh-jackson-deserves-a-promotion-nba-g-league-memphis-grizzlies-hustle

Although the current Grizzlies rotation is full, that shouldn’t stop the Grizzlies from calling Josh Jackson up. Unless there are issues that the Grizzlies have kept quiet on, Jackson has passed his first test with the Hustle. Personally, I believe that the Grizzlies should call Josh up with the understanding that he likely won’t play for 2-3 weeks. This would allow Josh to actually practice with his Grizzlies teammates, travel, and legitimately feel like part of the team. Over those weeks, the Grizzlies can figure out the trade market for a guy like Solomon Hill and see if they can find a taker. Worst case, Solomon Hill can ride the Grizzlies bench and collect his pay checks, which is what the expectation was at the beginning of the season.

Giving Josh a spot in the rotation around Christmas would give the Grizzlies around 50 games before the end of the season to decide if Josh is a worthy investment. It would also give the Grizzlies about 20 games to test the trade market on Josh if they don’t plan on bringing him back next season. Personally, either of those things benefit the Grizzlies more than anything Solomon Hill brings to the table.

At this point in the season, neither the Grizzlies nor Josh figure to get much of a benefit with Jackson wasting away in Southaven (Although the Hustle will certainly take it). He doesn’t necessarily need minutes right away, but it’s time to call Josh Jackson up.

But consider this: In the Hustle’s last game, De’Anthony Melton, who hasn’t been a Hustle regular, showed up and scored more points, grabbed more rebounds and dished more assists than Jackson, and did so in fewer minutes. And Melton’s barely played for the Grizzlies. Lesson: Don't make too much of G League stat-stuffing. 

If Melton can't get playing time why should Jackson be brought up? Do you just want to see him sitting on the bench? 

28 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

If Melton can't get playing time why should Jackson be brought up? Do you just want to see him sitting on the bench? 

Because i want both Melton and Josh to get PT.    Marko and Hill can take a seat.  15 games is long enough to evaluate those two. 

8 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Because i want both Melton and Josh to get PT.    Marko and Hill can take a seat.  15 games is long enough to evaluate those two. 

I suspect that both players will get PT eventually. The coaches and front office are being patient while we integrate the new system into place. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

I suspect that both players will get PT eventually. The coaches and front office are being patient while we integrate the new system into place. 

On related note: I dont like the fact that Taylor is rolling out lineups with BOTH Jae and Hill in.    Those lineups are taking away time that can be used on Brandon Bruno or Melton.     I am generally cool with Hill getting minutes when Crowder is having an off night but him getting consistent burn over young guys is starting to annoy me.  

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

In all fairness to this discussion, I dont know what type of player Josh is or what he brings...but teams don't bring up G league guys to sit on the bench and hang out with the guys to learn...if they are developing, let them get meaningful minutes of playing time...and you want to give Jackson 50 games to assess him, whereas the current guys who made the team 15 games is long enough.

24 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

On related note: I dont like the fact that Taylor is rolling out lineups with BOTH Jae and Hill in.    Those lineups are taking away time that can be used on Brandon Bruno or Melton.     I am generally cool with Hill getting minutes when Crowder is having an off night but him getting consistent burn over young guys is starting to annoy me.  

I am pretty sure that coaches and front office aren't concerned about what you like. 

I Suspect the FO is wanting Hill and Crowder to get the playing time now to audition them for a trade further down the line but you probably aren't considering that angle. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I am pretty sure that coaches and front office aren't concerned about what you like. 

I Suspect the FO is wanting Hill and Crowder to get the playing time now to audition them for a trade further down the line but you probably aren't considering that angle. 

I doubt many people are lining up to trade for Hill. He's a net negative on both sides of the ball. Essentially, he's trash and won't be here (or on any team most likely) after this year. There's no reason to not play Bruno or whoever those minutes, because while they may be trash as well, at least there's room for some growth. I'm fine with Jae getting minutes, because he's at least slightly productive and does have trade value. 

4 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I doubt many people are lining up to trade for Hill. He's a net negative on both sides of the ball. Essentially, he's trash and won't be here (or on any team most likely) after this year. There's no reason to not play Bruno or whoever those minutes, because while they may be trash as well, at least there's room for some growth. I'm fine with Jae getting minutes, because he's at least slightly productive and does have trade value. 

+100 Bingo!   

Hill is auditioning for his second contract with the Grizzlies.   Aint nobody looking at Hill to help them make a push in the playoffs for $12m.  

Jae is the one being featured for trades potentially but he could still be auditioning for Grizz as well.    Contrary to one poster's belief i do not think our entire team should be made up of rookies and sophs.    Josh said in interview that Crowder talked to him about being a mentor.  Josh thinks that would help him because he had no one like that in PHO.  

If anyone trades for Hill its because he is an expiring contract not because he can still play 20mpg.    I think its better served to evaluate Hill now by how helpful he can be as a Lockerroom guy and Sage from the bench.  

2 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

In all fairness to this discussion, I dont know what type of player Josh is or what he brings...but teams don't bring up G league guys to sit on the bench and hang out with the guys to learn...if they are developing, let them get meaningful minutes of playing time...and you want to give Jackson 50 games to assess him, whereas the current guys who made the team 15 games is long enough.

2 way guys get to practice with the big boys even when sitting on the bench.    Josh hasn't gotten that chance either yet.   I never said i wanted to give Josh 50 games.  I dont think it will take that long to evaluate his fit.     We quickly resolved Dillons fit after about 10 games with Ja and Jaren (6th man).  

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

2 way guys get to practice with the big boys even when sitting on the bench.    Josh hasn't gotten that chance either yet.   I never said i wanted to give Josh 50 games.  I dont think it will take that long to evaluate his fit.     We quickly resolved Dillons fit after about 10 games with Ja and Jaren (6th man).  

Can we just pretend Josh does not exist ...he's a bum...lets forget him.

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I got a feeling Jones will be playing all year because of the contract they gave him, not whether he is playing better than Melton.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Is it going to take all year to do that?

33 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

+100 Bingo!   

Hill is auditioning for his second contract with the Grizzlies.   Aint nobody looking at Hill to help them make a push in the playoffs for $12m.  

Jae is the one being featured for trades potentially but he could still be auditioning for Grizz as well.    Contrary to one poster's belief i do not think our entire team should be made up of rookies and sophs.    Josh said in interview that Crowder talked to him about being a mentor.  Josh thinks that would help him because he had no one like that in PHO.  

If anyone trades for Hill its because he is an expiring contract not because he can still play 20mpg.    I think its better served to evaluate Hill now by how helpful he can be as a Lockerroom guy and Sage from the bench.  

So you admit there is a chance he could be traded. 

Image result for there is a chance gif

16 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Is it going to take all year to do that?

No. 

18 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I got a feeling Jones will be playing all year because of the contract they gave him, not whether he is playing better than Melton.

Nothing anyone can do about your feelings. I get the feeling that Melton missing training camp hurt him a lot more than Jones' contract but that is just me. 

1 minute ago, UkGrizz said:

Jaren and Jae giving his hustle performance some love on Twitter.

What’s this tweeter thing I keep hearing about

7 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2019/11/26/20982410/josh-jackson-deserves-a-promotion-nba-g-league-memphis-grizzlies-hustle

Although the current Grizzlies rotation is full, that shouldn’t stop the Grizzlies from calling Josh Jackson up. Unless there are issues that the Grizzlies have kept quiet on, Jackson has passed his first test with the Hustle. Personally, I believe that the Grizzlies should call Josh up with the understanding that he likely won’t play for 2-3 weeks. This would allow Josh to actually practice with his Grizzlies teammates, travel, and legitimately feel like part of the team. Over those weeks, the Grizzlies can figure out the trade market for a guy like Solomon Hill and see if they can find a taker. Worst case, Solomon Hill can ride the Grizzlies bench and collect his pay checks, which is what the expectation was at the beginning of the season.

Giving Josh a spot in the rotation around Christmas would give the Grizzlies around 50 games before the end of the season to decide if Josh is a worthy investment. It would also give the Grizzlies about 20 games to test the trade market on Josh if they don’t plan on bringing him back next season. Personally, either of those things benefit the Grizzlies more than anything Solomon Hill brings to the table.

At this point in the season, neither the Grizzlies nor Josh figure to get much of a benefit with Jackson wasting away in Southaven (Although the Hustle will certainly take it). He doesn’t necessarily need minutes right away, but it’s time to call Josh Jackson up.

Thanks for this Chip.

Not surprising or unexpected.

Gee it does feel like a full on rehab program though

Still do not understand the issue with Josh. He is an NBA player, not a G league one. Make him play , see if he a valauble player for the team ( based of some garbage we have, it may be) and if any attitude issue, just kick him out. The G league things look for me same as how to make things complicated when you can make it simple...

8 hours ago, chipc3 said:

This is the most recent commentary I found from Chris Herrington who generally has a great take on what is happening behind the scenes with the Grizzlies. 

I still think he will be called up once Crowder, Hill and/or Iggy has been traded.(or he may be traded with them). Players signed this past offseason can be traded starting in December. I suspect trade offers will increase for our players in December.

It never sounded like the trade was about acquiring him. They wanted Melton and the draft picks more than Jackson.They didn't pick up his option but if we go into Jan, I'd say what the heck, let him play.

12 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I still think he will be called up once Crowder, Hill and/or Iggy has been traded.(or he may be traded with them). Players signed this past offseason can be traded starting in December. I suspect trade offers will increase for our players in December.

It never sounded like the trade was about acquiring him. They wanted Melton and the draft picks more than Jackson.They didn't pick up his option but if we go into Jan, I'd say what the heck, let him play.

That's kind of my take on this as well. If he shows he can behave with the Hustle then after a move is made they can bring him up but there is no rush. 

bring him up. it’s getting silly waiting like this. unless he’s been a headcase behind the scenes, bring him up. if he goes bezerk, to the moon alice!

slim.