southbluffsgrizzfan

Lets trade Ja for Cobey White.....

Just got back from Fedex Forum and let me tell anyone who wasnt there.  Cobey (sp?) White made an arse of Ja Morant.   He played within himself and he actually could hit a shot when he shot the ball.  He got to the rim and finished whereas Ja is still locked in his Murray St days where he thinks he can just go to the rim, jump higher than his defender and simply make an ESPN posterizing dunk.  Well Ja, you are not in college anymore.  That dog wont hunt right now.  These are men you are playing with who are just as fast as you are and bigger and you arent going to do that on a regular level. 

CWhite on the other hand was under control (except for his chaotic hair).  He was the 2nd best player on the Bulls team after the totally selfish Zach Lavine.  That kid is such a ball hog.  Sure he scored 37 but it was all about him and his selfish ways, plus the refs bailed him out several times by putting him on the line after he went in the lane out of control. 

I know Ja is in his 2nd NBA game but the quicker he learns that this isnt college anymore and what worked back then isnt going to work up here the better.  He dribbled too much and killed the clock in the 4th qtr and I was glad when Tyus Jones came in for a few minutes.  I knew when Ja came back in that the game was most likely over.  I am so tired of having guards who simply cannot shoot and we have another one in Ja.   Now I know he is supposed to be developing and I get that he has to play.  I am hoping that he does get better. He does have raw talent, but he is absolutely no threat to score late in the game.  Mike Conley developed himself into a guard who could hit big shots late in the game but it took years.  Ja needs to do the same. 

Dont get me wrong.  I like Ja.  I am glad we have him, but I can safely say even after only 2 NBA games that he wont even come close to winning rookie of the year.  CWhite looked so much more polished.  I didnt even know who he was when he came in the game with that wild hair, but it was quickly apparent that the better rookie on the court by far---BY FAR was CWhite. 

Ja is also a victim of the Memphis curse on shooters.  All you have to do is put on a Grizzlies uniform and all ability to shoot the ball consistently is lost.  He never was known for his great shooting but he offers no threat that the defense must be worried about late in the game now.  Hopefully in time he will learn how to stay in control and get to the rim and actually FINISH.   The key thing is actually finishing. My hope for Ja is that he learns how to do that.  He is a liability on defense because he is TINY.   So he needs to make up for it with savvy, under control play on offensive end.

My goodness can we imagine what Kyrie will do to Ja if Ja ends up on him Sunday?  It wont be pretty. 

Maybe White will be better, maybe not. It's tough to judge after 2 games. It's tough to judge who will be the best after a full year.

The 09-10 all rookie team was Tyreke, Steph, Brandon Jennings, Taj Gibson, Darren Collision.

2nd team was DeJuan Blair, Marcus Thornton, James Harden, Jonny Flynn, and Jonas Jerebko.

(Rubio and Griffin dnp that year. Shout-out to Thabeet for making 17th team).

Harden and Curry ended up being the best from that group that played that first year. 

That's probably followed by DeMar, Jrue, and then Danny Green. Jeff Teague, Taj, Patty Mills, DeMarre Carroll, Patrick Beverly, Wayne Ellington, and James Johnson are still in League. Not sure on Jerebko, but Tyreke and Jennings looked to be the best early that season.

Don't get too down or excited if Ja or JJJ do poorly or even look awesome. There's a lot of boys maturing to men in the next 5 years. Hopefully ours keeps getting better.

Coby is a pure shooter. If we didn't get such a high pick I would have wanted us to take Coby. 

JA will be fine. Its game 2. 

Brooks I'm worried about. 

As grizzgolf stated above - Coby White is a shooter.

We just need shooters. 

Ja definitely let the game get away from him after the 4th, but these kind of mistakes - that backbreaking turnover at the end to seal it, the aforementioned blown "blow bys" where he beat his man to the cup but just put up some junk - will be helpful to his development sooner rather than later. 

8 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Maybe White will be better, maybe not. It's tough to judge after 2 games. It's tough to judge who will be the best after a full year.

The 09-10 all rookie team was Tyreke, Steph, Brandon Jennings, Taj Gibson, Darren Collision.

2nd team was DeJuan Blair, Marcus Thornton, James Harden, Jonny Flynn, and Jonas Jerebko.

(Rubio and Griffin dnp that year. Shout-out to Thabeet for making 17th team).

Harden and Curry ended up being the best from that group that played that first year. 

That's probably followed by DeMar, Jrue, and then Danny Green. Jeff Teague, Taj, Patty Mills, DeMarre Carroll, Patrick Beverly, Wayne Ellington, and James Johnson are still in League. Not sure on Jerebko, but Tyreke and Jennings looked to be the best early that season.

Don't get too down or excited if Ja or JJJ do poorly or even look awesome. There's a lot of boys maturing to men in the next 5 years. Hopefully ours keeps getting better.

I totally agree 100%

Mike Conley’s first 2 games in a Grizzlies uniform he scored:

2 points and 

8 points back in November 7th and 9th, 2007.

Ja is a point guard.

White is scoring combo guard If you look at the bulls Dunn and lavine are running things.

Ja has Brooks and allen.

46 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

Ja is a point guard.

White is scoring combo guard If you look at the bulls Dunn and lavine are running things.

Ja has Brooks and allen.

Exactly. Ja is tasked with running a flawed team that isn’t getting production from the wings. White has one job and that’s to come in off the bench and score. The learning curve for Ja is going to be steeper. I would, however, like to see Ja start to take some more outside shots. His drives aren’t going to be effective if there is no threat whatsoever of an outside shot; he doesn’t have the physical frame to just overpower people or get to his spots regardless like a Ben Simmons or even a Westbrook. 

White just looked dangerous, Ja didn't. 

He wasn't attacking or gave the impression that he was about to create something with the ball in his hands. 

Kendrick Nunn(undrafted) outplayed him too. Wouldn’t trade Ja for either tho. I will say, for his development, they better do something quick or it will be delayed. He needs some talent beside him. Bring up Josh Jackson, at least he’s crazy athletic

Ja is a pass first pg.

3 takeaways from the first two games are

that he needs to work on not picking up how dribble and that a flashy layup that he can finish va trying to dunk on someone is a better option. 

not worried about shooting right now. 

Put the bong pipe down. Really? After 2 games, you wanna trade Ja? We need to have a basketball competency skill tests before people are allowed to post on this board. 

3 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Put the bong pipe down. Really? After 2 games, you wanna trade Ja? We need to have a basketball competency skill tests before people are allowed to post on this board. 

BANGO!!!

Notice that both Nunn and Coby had actual competent shooting SG's paired with them.    Ja has NONE.   That is a huge factor for a PG that is also not known for being a shooter.     

Which on a related note we need to pair him with a competent wing with the quickness.   Because him seeing triple teams and clogged paint will also stunt his development.      

4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

BANGO!!!

Notice that both Nunn and Coby had actual competent shooting SG's paired with them.    Ja has NONE.   That is a huge factor for a PG that is also not known for being a shooter.     

Which on a related note we need to pair him with a competent wing with the quickness.   Because him seeing triple teams and clogged paint will also stunt his development.      

I never believed in Dillon Brooks. I think he could be a decent hustle player off of the bench but never saw him as a reliable starter. We have a slew of middling level to fringe players for our 2-guard slot which is not helping Ja at all.

5 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I never believed in Dillon Brooks. I think he could be a decent hustle player off of the bench but never saw him as a reliable starter. We have a slew of middling level to fringe players for our 2-guard slot which is not helping Ja at all.

Marko is going to start by mid season. Marko actually has game. 

7 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well your instincts on him appear to be correct.    Dillon is another player that would've been better fit with the GnG core.   His mentality would've been a better fit alongside them because Tony and Zbo wouldve kept him in check.   On this young team still finding its identity and pecking order he is a terrible fit.     I prefer both Marko and Grayson over him.

1 minute ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Marko is going to start by mid season. Marko actually has game. 

Not if he actually starts to play Melton.   Melton gives him the secondary playmaker that allows Ja to play offball a bit.   Melton also takes on toughest defensive assignment which frees up Ja too.    

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Well your instincts on him appear to be correct.    Dillon is another player that would've been better fit with the GnG core.   His mentality would've been a better fit alongside them because Tony and Zbo wouldve kept him in check.   On this young team still finding its identity and pecking order he is a terrible fit.     I prefer both Marko and Grayson over him.

Not if he actually starts to play Melton.   Melton gives him the secondary playmaker that allows Ja to play offball a bit.   Melton also takes on toughest defensive assignment which frees up Ja too.    

Out of the options available right now Marko is the best. Also, I still think he starts. Graysons minutes are going to go down and so are Dillon’s. 

melton is still going to get burn. 

1 minute ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Out of the options available right now Marko is the best. Also, I still think he starts. Graysons minutes are going to go down and so are Dillon’s. 

melton is still going to get burn. 

You wanna start Marko against Kyrie led backcourt - after the bloodbath Lavine and Coby put on us?    I agree he is technically next in line to get a shot but......    

Lol...wow. Ja is going to have to have time to become accustomed to the speed of the NBA, but he consistently shows flashes----which, is the most you can hope for this early in the season. The core of this team is insanely young, so it may take a bit longer for them to "get it." But, when they do, it'll be a hell of a lot of fun.

Btw, Dillon has been trash. I haven't seen a player shoot every time he gets a touch on this team since Drew Gooden. Hopefully he doesn't view being the longest tenured Grizzly as being the leader....

2 minutes ago, TonyMassenturd said:

Lol...wow. Ja is going to have to have time to become accustomed to the speed of the NBA, but he consistently shows flashes----which, is the most you can hope for this early in the season. The core of this team is insanely young, so it may take a bit longer for them to "get it." But, when they do, it'll be a hell of a lot of fun.

Btw, Dillon has been trash. I haven't seen a player shoot every time he gets a touch on this team since Drew Gooden. Hopefully he doesn't view being the longest tenured Grizzly as being the leader....

DBrooks literally has a negative PER after the first two games. 

Why is this even a thread? I bet my account Ja ends up having a better career than Coby. Patience.

sidenote- this season should be a tryout for all the wings. Allen, Guduric, Jackson n Melton should all get to start 10+ games. See who fits with Morant n who doesn't