chipc3

Brooklyn Nets at Memphis Grizzlies - 10//27/19

Grizzlies Gametime Discussion

Date/Time: Sunday, October 27, 5:00 PM

Memphis Grizzlies vs Brooklyn Nets

Television: NBALP | Fox Sports South

Memphis Radio: 92.9FM | 680AM

Promotions: Magnetic Schedule to all fans in attendance

Grizz Social: iTunes Google Play Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram Pinterest Snapchat Flickr YouTube LinkedIn

Grizzlies Starting 5

Ja Morant Dillon Brooks Jae Crowder Jaren Jackson Jonas Valanciunas
1629630.png 1628415.png 203109.png 1628991.png 202685.png

Raptors Starting 5

Kyrie Irving Joe Harris Caris LeVert Taureen Prince
202681.png 203925.png 1627747.png 1627752.png 1628386.png

Benches

Memphis: Grayson Allen, Kyle Anderson, Bruno Caboclo, Brandon Clarke, Marco Guduruc, Solomon Hill, Tyus Jones, John Konchar, De'Anthony Melton, Yuta Watanabe

Brooklyn: Wilson Chandler, Nicholas Claxton, Spencer Dinwiddie, Kevin Durant (INJ), Henry Ellenson, DeAndre Jordan, Rudions Kurucs, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, Dzanan Musa, David Nwaba, Theo Pinson, Garrett Temple

Grizzlies: Preview | Recap | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets | Promotions | Watch Parties

Nets: Preview | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | 

Depth Charts: CBS | ESPN | Yahoo

Injuries: CBS | ESPN | FOX | Yahoo

Preview: 
Memphis: 
It is too early in the season to make demonstrative proclamations about the team, but the early returns seem to show the worst fears could be realized for Grizzlies fans. Ja Morant is talented but needs to put on weight, develop an outside shot and play better defense. Jaren Jackson is incredibly talented but didn't add anything to his game from his rookie season and most fans wanted to see some development of the raw talent he has shown such as avoiding silly fouls, grabbing rebounds and better ball-handling skills. Brandon Clarke, Marco Guduruc and Tyus Jones all showed well in the first game but these new faces won't power the team very far if the starting five isn't more consistent. The team looks like a squad with only one player who's been on the team for more than two years, coached by a rookie head coach and organized by a rookie GM. 

Brooklyn opened the vault for the second time in recent history spending big money to bring in Kyrie Irving (50 points on opening night) and Kevin Durant (out for the season with Achilles injury). At least this time the Nets weren't buying aging stars but players actually in their primes. Durant being out for the season is a drawback but next season the Nets should be a dangerous team in the East. In the meantime Irving will get a change to show off his incredible offensive display (not good against a rookie who is defensively challenged in Ja). Joe Harris is a deadly sharpshooter (career 43% shooter from the arc) who is going to be a restricted free agent in 2020. Taureen Prince is a fighting athletic but slightly undersized PF. Jarret Allen is a true defensive stopper with limited offensive game. Which isn't bad because Kyrie isn't paid to set up the other players. 

Actually, it's going about like I expected.  Sorry to be a debbie-downer, but we are going to struggle for a couple of years.  With a little draft luck and a lot of player development, hopefully in 3 or 4 years ... we'll be ready to compete for a 7th-or-8th seed in  playoffs.

Ja is talented, but some on this board fell in love with highlight videos.  Fans who loved his hops in college need to know it doesn't translate well in the NBA for a skinny point guard.  His quickness and court awareness are what will translate.  He needs to develop a three-point shot, a mid-range game, and above all he desperately needs a floater instead of trying to dunk in traffic.  No one is going to let a rook tomahawk them uncontested ... he needs to forget about it this year and only dunk on breakaways or sneaky backdoor alley-oops.  Maybe he can get away with tomahawks later in the year when its a throw-away game between tanking teams.  It's going to take time ... every single night Ja will be playing against point guards who are a couple of levels better than anyone he was matched up against at Murray State.  Kyrie will be a huge challenge in this game ... I just hope Ja has fun with it and doesn't get discouraged.

Jaren is going to be ok.  I was actually encouraged when he got riled up in Miami after Ja got stuffed going for a tomahawk slam (when the game was out of reach in the 4th quarter).  Jaren can be dominant when he plays with a bit more edge and refuses to be denied.  He needs to respectfully ask refs to explain to him why they called some of his touch fouls.  It's not always about learning from the refs (although that is good), but using a little charm to build a good reputation with refs may help get some star treatment later.

2 hours ago, The REF said:

Kyrie gonna have a Field Day!

ill give him 40 + points 

Jenkins better start Melton to counteract him.   Otherwise you are totally correct.   No way any of our current guards can hope to contain him at all.   

The advantage of having Delon was/would have been that he could be put next to Ja, and give him some protection. He has size and can even play @ 3. I like how Tyus has played so far, and I'd like to see him next to Ja but so far the coach doesn't thinks so because he keeps going to Dillon Kobe Bricks.

This could be real ugly.

We need to play to our strengths (Jaren, Jega) in the paint, with some decent screening on the PNR

14 hours ago, The REF said:

ill give him 40 + points 

Uncle Drew pretty much has a field day on whomever he chooses...

🤣

23 hours ago, The REF said:

ill give him 40 + points 

I think this is a safe assumption for a guy averaging 38ppg this season.

Good early test for JJJ against some guys that are strong on the boards (Jordan/Allen). Don’t expect a win here, but will be nice if we can see Ja take more floaters/mid-rangers, have Jaren remain aggressive and get Marko more confidence in his shot. 

4 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I’m a simple man. I just want to be watching the first time Ja posterizes some fool.

I am just wanna see Ja pass to JV...

12 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

I am just wanna see Ja pass to JV...

I think they’ll try to get him going early in the first but you’ve got Jordan on the other end... real bouncy