grizz09

preseason team summary

pic jacked from reddit, thought it was good to get a big picture of all the players for preseason performance.  what stands out to everyone?

h4b1f8ucjit31.png

—Dillon’s 3 point% is fool’s gold

—Rabb’s #’s look good, but with Bruno + Clarke he might be a little repetitive (hence the cut)...right situation=he’s a rotation guy

—JJJ looked off (for lack of a better word), but his stats are still decent which is promising

—Morant looked like natural with the eye test and the stats seem to reflect that to me

It is preseason though, so we’ll see...way, way early...

JJJ will go up with more mins played.   Why did we like Hill again?

I really like the break between preseason and the regular season. The team has a long time to get the real offense put into place and to bond together as a unit. 

22 minutes ago, Gradey said:

I hope I'm wrong but it feels like we are going to have a seriously feast or famine offense.

You're probably right, but I'm still psyched for this season.

I think if someone or some ones can hit their threes with consistency, we will scare a lot of teams.

Ja Morant.....I think he's going to be a star.  The young man has a presence about him; you know when he's on the floor.  I love Jaren and his potential, but he can disappear at times (especially when in foul trouble).

On a totally unrelated note, I hate that my phone always tries to change Jaren to Karen whenever I type his name.

I don't want to get banned from the boards, lest Toke think I'm talking good about Karen in accounting. Ha ha.

37 minutes ago, Gradey said:

I hope I'm wrong but it feels like we are going to have a seriously feast or famine offense.

Yeah, Ja is going to get people open shots but all the 'shooters' on the team seem streaky. 

13 hours ago, El Guapo said:

—Rabb’s #’s look good, but with Bruno + Clarke he might be a little repetitive (hence the cut)...right situation=he’s a rotation guy

—JJJ looked off (for lack of a better word), but his stats are still decent which is promising

—Morant looked like natural with the eye test and the stats seem to reflect that to me

It is preseason though, so we’ll see...way, way early...

I disagree on Dillon's 3 point percentage, that's exactly what he shot last year. He's streaky, but still pretty good from deep. What's way more concerning is his total FG%, he can't be an effective player for us if he only shoots 37.5% from the field. 

2 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

It's funny but people say Jaren disappears but still will put up 18 points.  I think his game isn't as flashy so his work gets overlooked sometimes.  

Jaren disappears because he gets into foul trouble. it's quite concerning to me that the son of an NBA player who didn't play much in college due to foul trouble and who got into a lot of foul trouble as a rookie is still getting in foul trouble in the preseason. 

He's not flashy but he is effective on the offensive end when he is on the floor. The key is, he needs to stay on the floor. He also needs to improve his rebounding as well. WIth his length at 6'11", he should be avg double the rebounds that he did last year. I get that he's young but he has an NBA season under his belt and needs to show improvement this year, 

We have some horrible 3-point shooters.  Need to get JV back to have some muscle in the paint to make up for it.

Clarke and Bruno’s rebounding numbers are a pleasant surprise - they’ll need to recreate that during the season for our front court to be viable. 

16 hours ago, El Guapo said:

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I disagree on Dillon's 3 point percentage, that's exactly what he shot last year. He's streaky, but still pretty good from deep. What's way more concerning is his total FG%, he can't be an effective player for us if he only shoots 37.5% from the field. 

Yeah, for his career he's about 36% on over 300 attempts.  He looked awful the other night, but I am hoping it's an outlier.

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Jaren disappears because he gets into foul trouble. it's quite concerning to me that the son of an NBA player who didn't play much in college due to foul trouble and who got into a lot of foul trouble as a rookie is still getting in foul trouble in the preseason. 

He's not flashy but he is effective on the offensive end when he is on the floor. The key is, he needs to stay on the floor. He also needs to improve his rebounding as well. WIth his length at 6'11", he should be avg double the rebounds that he did last year. I get that he's young but he has an NBA season under his belt and needs to show improvement this year, 

Actually, from his preseason stars it appears that he has improved it some.  He only averaged 4.7 rebounds in 26 mpg last season.  So far, in preseason he's averaging 7.4 in 24.5 mpg.  Not a huge improvement but a step in the right direction.  I think a player with his size and ability should average double digit boards in 30 minutes.  He's still very young, so hopefully he will keep improving.

New roster, coach, philosophy, so going to have some growing pains, but based on very small sample size...

Jaren needs to be shooting a better FG% as a post player. Added some muscle, and doesn't seem to fall down as much as last season. Not sure about his body language. At times, I wondered if the Morant/Clarke synergy was affecting Jaren’s mindset (like he went from being THE guy to taking a backseat). Could be completely wrong though. Despite being a good 3pt shooter, wouldn't mind him working on his form to not shoot it so low. A 7ft player shouldn't be getting a 3pt shot attempt blocked. And, obviously, fouls way too much, although some are just booboo calls.

Morant's going to be an elite player if he doesn't have injury issues. Handle, passing, and quickness already looking elite his rookie year. Needs to add muscle, but we all knew that with his age, and needs to work on landing so he doesn't jack up his legs. He's falling down a lot like Jaren last year. Also needs to work on his 3pt shooting and confidence. Saw him pass and/or hesitate on some open 3s, which your franchise PG shouldn't be doing with the team "Let it Fly" mantra. 

Clarke looks like a franchise piece. Watching him and Morant for the next however many years is going to be very exciting. Keep hearing he’s improved his shot, but you can tell he doesn’t have confidence from 3. Saw him passing up open shots too, and defense was daring him to take it. Would like to see him getting more blocks, but small sample size. IF he develops a 3 and improves handle to become a SF that’d be great, but jury still out if he’ll be able to. Even if he can’t though, still going to be a great building block for the team. Talk about his second bounce is legit.

Crowder’s gotta stop jacking up 3’s. It’d be one thing if he was a proven 3 point shooter and just struggling in preseason, but he’s never been that great in that department. Him and Brooks could shoot us out of games if they’re having an off night.

Tyus is a great backup PG that can hold down the fort if he starts, and still young enough to improve his game. Glad we picked him up.

Grayson is hit or miss, but, at the very least, I think he can develop into a long term piece off the bench with starter upside. He’s got a scorer’s mentality, but is also a willing passer.

Dillon’s better when he's not forcing his shot. Needs to start passing, rebounding, or upping his defense though. When he’s not knocking down shots, he needs to be able to contribute in other areas.

Kyle was Kyle. Looked rusty, but I enjoy watching him play just because he’s so completely different from everyone else in the league. His slo-mo eurosteps are a beautiful disaster.

Guduric’s 3pt shooting not living up to the hype so far, but it was to be expected against NBA competition. He’s got good form, they just aren’t falling. That said, he’s not as horrible against NBA competition as some feared. He looks slow and out of his element against some guys, but handles his own against others. I think he’ll look better as the season goes on, and considering he’s on the equivalent of a rookie contract, I don’t have a problem with signing him so far.

Bruno’s easily the best blocker on the team, and I think could become the best 3pt shooter with his size. He seems like one of those players where you’re always like next year is going to be the year for him. Regardless, he’s a good player to have, and even if his ceiling is lowered each year, he’s raising his floor. He’s also been asked to play various positions, even out of position, so I can’t knock him too much.

Konchar is a really good rebounder for his size/position. Didn’t shoot well, but think he can be a long term glue guy off the bench, since he can do a little bit of everything. How far down the bench though remains to be seen. If he’s at worse a 15th roster spot player, then I can live with that for an undrafted prospect.

Hill was talking to the young guys on the court, so looks like a good mentor, and seeing as how he’s a good defender that’s the kind of player you want mentoring your foundation pieces, and he probably also helps them improve their offense by defending them in practice. As far as his game, not really good or bad, looked like a hold down the fort until the starters get back in the game kind of player. Not a difference maker, but feel like not waiving him can help our development.

Don’t know what to think about Coach Jenkins yet. Hard to gauge since we were missing so many shots. I did like to see him talking to the guys, and giving pointers when they were subbed out. Seen a lot of coaches not even acknowledge the player as they head to the bench.

Eventhough we're going to lose a lot of games, I'm stoked about our future. We've got a really good foundation, and may or may not have something in Melton and Jackson as well. Jonas is also a **** good player too. Add another top pick in this year's draft, and the only thing that could hold us back is coaching (not saying it will, but too early to tell) and ego's (don't see it as a problem right now, but guys change as they want more playing time and bigger contracts).

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

That's not disappearing,  that's not being on the floor,  I'm speaking about him actually being on the floor.  Imho he just has to realize that he doesn't have to try to block every shot,  but just try to contest and make it harder. He's very handsy

31 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Yeah, for his career he's about 36% on over 300 attempts.  He looked awful the other night, but I am hoping it's an outlier.

I’m probably taking my frustration out on Brooks, when I’m really upset at the dismal 3 point shooting overall from the San Antonio game. 

We have to at least have some threat from 3 point to keep defenses honest. Need room to operate/navigate.

7 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I’m probably taking my frustration out on Brooks, when I’m really upset at the dismal 3 point shooting overall from the San Antonio game. 

We have to at least have some threat from 3 point to keep defenses honest. Need room to operate/navigate.

Yeah, I know the feeling.  I was extremely frustrated with his shot-jacking air balls in that game, to the point that I was thinking "just trade him".  I guess I'll just try to forget that performance.

It didn't show the replay, but I think on one of the air-balls Dillon was complaining about getting hit on the elbow, and then looked like ref was telling coach that he missed the call. Doesn't excuse the other bad shots though.

52 minutes ago, sativa417 said:

It didn't show the replay, but I think on one of the air-balls Dillon was complaining about getting hit on the elbow, and then looked like ref was telling coach that he missed the call. Doesn't excuse the other bad shots though.

I didn't notice that, maybe something there, but in all it was a disappointing game.  I hope he never repeats that performance for us.

I liked your assessment in your previous post.  Looked pretty spot-on to me.  On Jenkins though, he is a rookie too, so we're all going to have to understand that he is going to make some rookie mistakes too.  He did show some timely time-out calls.  I hope he proves to be a good long-term hire.

No 3 pt FGAs from Clarke is a little disappointing.  After the summer league I was hoping he'd have the confidence to at least try a couple.

Grayson Allen's play has been better than expected.

Ja looks like the real deal.  Still wish we had gotten that number one pick and Zion though.

1 hour ago, kevofrommempho said:

No 3 pt FGAs from Clarke is a little disappointing.  After the summer league I was hoping he'd have the confidence to at least try a couple.

Grayson Allen's play has been better than expected.

Ja looks like the real deal.  Still wish we had gotten that number one pick and Zion though.

I don't know, I'm not sure.  There are questions already about Zion's health and how much stress his weight will be putting on his body.  I am perfectly happy with Ja right now, and had we drafted Zion we might be looking to move Jaren or not drafted Clarke, still have Conley's $35M contract.  As it is right now we have several potential young stars on the roster.

4 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I didn't notice that, maybe something there, but in all it was a disappointing game.  I hope he never repeats that performance for us.

I liked your assessment in your previous post.  Looked pretty spot-on to me.  On Jenkins though, he is a rookie too, so we're all going to have to understand that he is going to make some rookie mistakes too.  He did show some timely time-out calls.  I hope he proves to be a good long-term hire.

Hope he works out too. Helps that we have a young team. If we were full of older vets, they might not listen to him as well.