Ole Dirty Klondike

What Should We Do if We Luck Into The #1 Pick In 2020?

Should We Tank for Wiseman?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. If we get the #1 pick in the 2020 draft, what should we do?

• Draft Wiseman, pair him with JJJ and trade Jonas
    • Draft Wiseman, pair him with Jonas and trade JJJ
    • Draft Anthony Edwards and keep JJJ and Jonas
    • Draft LaMelo Ball and keep JJJ and Jonas
    • Draft someone else, preferably a swingman, and keep JJJ and Jonas

13 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

So a Memphis Tiger legend helps Wiseman move to Memphis then recruits him to his school after hired there and yall homers don't see anything wrong with that? Penny can clearly be viewed as a Memphis booster helping steer Wiseman to his alma mater no matter if he became the coach or not. Shady af.

Now flame away.

The Penny-Haul truck showed up before the Calipari Movers truck showed up.

#discuss

#SamGilbertIsRollingOverInHisGrave

#ClevelandStateIsGoingToPAYForThis

#BlueChipsHard2 #BlueChipsHARDER

8 minutes ago, Dwash said:

When he paid his family in 2017 coaching Memphis wasnt even on his radar. He paid him to come to East. Penny and Cal had a cordial relationship and he was all behind Wiseman going to Kentucky.  NOBODY who cared about their player at all was steering them to go play for Tubby Smith lol. That in itself sounds ridiculous. Tubby was completing year one of a 5 year deal that made him a top 10-15 paid coach in America. So firing him and replacing him with Penny was nowhere on the horizon.  Most thought ir was crazy.

Also, an athletic booster has to donate to an athletic program. Pennu donated to the sports hall of fame.

Penny may have violated some rules but shady....nah. Not even close.

Hey I'm all for Wiseman playing this year even though i'm not a Tiger fan. And I get the fact that Penny wasn't financially helping him AT THAT TIME in order to steer him to Memphis, I'm just telling you how it looks from outside Shelby County. Folks here in Nashville are obviously just butt hurt about Wiseman but I do agree the optics are turrible.

8 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Hey I'm all for Wiseman playing this year even though i'm not a Tiger fan. And I get the fact that Penny wasn't financially helping him AT THAT TIME in order to steer him to Memphis, I'm just telling you how it looks from outside Shelby County. Folks here in Nashville are obviously just butt hurt about Wiseman but I do agree the optics are turrible.

It only looks that way cause people have been trying to "imply" that Penny is cheating because he is filty rich and all these kids want to go to Memphis. Im telling you thats nonsense from people that know about Penny's work, not some Memphis homers. Dude has been working his butt off on the AAU/high school scene and these kids love him because he is an extremely relatable older guy on one hand but when it comes to the business side he is still professional enough to be a college coach. Its a unique mix that has never been seen before instead of the stuffy old white man coaching and people want to find a hole in it.

5 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

It looks like we are gonna play him no matter what -- then deal with the consequences later.  Might be a bad look for us later but I don't see us getting the Full SMU Treatment (Double Plus Death Penalty with two CANCELED football seasons).  I think they vacate THIS season but that's about it.  Maybe a post-season ban next season.  BUT, probably worth it IF we run the table during the regular season/conference tournament.  THEN we are THE TEAM, we can throw a parade and also put an asterisk next to the name of the "OFFISHUL" national champion.

We are gonna stink next season?  Well, we stunk under Pastner/Tubby so we might as well have gone for it.

Guess it is gonna be an ESPN 30 For 30 TRILOGY.

Then once this entire Memphis Tigers recruiting class (plus last years') gets drafted, graduates, or fades off into the sunset then we can do a PROPER full rebuild.

The one-and-done rule might be DONE by then, too.  At that point, you are looking at recruiting classes which lean heavily on local and regional players.  Then "sustainable success" for us would be a Sweet 16 every 3 years and an Elite 8 every five to ten years.

We probably won't be able to get another five star Fab Five-type recruiting class again, but maybe no one else will either.  I think the top blue chip studs go straight to the pros.  The others try to be "the man" at a solid program where they can build their "brand".

34 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

So a Memphis Tiger legend helps Wiseman move to Memphis then recruits him to his school after hired there and yall homers don't see anything wrong with that? Penny can clearly be viewed as a Memphis booster helping steer Wiseman to his alma mater no matter if he became the coach or not. Shady af.

Now flame away.

Funny how the people on both sides are framing this.

On the dark side, Wiseman's family was coerced to move here by Penny's money strictly to play basketball for a school he reasonably assumed he would be coaching soon. The fact that the money lent was a paltry amount and the family wanted to move to Memphis already is immaterial. If there is smoke there is a fire somewhere and most likely the fire has to do with basketball. 

On the light side, Penny helped a family move to Memphis and he knew it would help his basketball team at the time but that has nothing to do with the University of Memphis. East High School is not related to the University. The NCAA is punishing a young man who signed with Memphis after the NCAA cleared him to play. He can't go anywhere else now and suddenly the NCAA is taking back the guarantee and taking away his ability to make money. Penny hadn't given money to the University of Memphis since 2008. He gave moving expenses to the family and Wiseman didn't even know about it. There is no quid pro quo here. 

In my opinion what Penny did was both kind-hearted and self-serving. He surely suspected that Wiseman would help him win a lot of games which would make him attractive to the U of M as a head coach. He had to suspect that he could attract Wiseman and others to the program if he was already coaching them.

Was it illegal? I don't know enough to say one way or the other. What it shady. Absolutely but it also could be seen as a wealthy man taking care of people who would benefit from his assistance. I believe Penny helped other families as well who didn't have basketball players as sons. $12,000 is nothing if the implication is that Wiseman's family was being bought. 

For me, the bottom line issue is that the NCAA cleared Wiseman to play at the school after the school reported the violation. For the NCAA to now rescind that permission after the start of the season when Wiseman can't transfer to any other school is a punishment far harsher than the crime. Fine the coach or the school but not the student who was ignorant and innocent of the crime.  Perhaps the NCAA was premature in issuing the clearance but it is too late now to rescind it. The penalty doesn't fit the crime. 

8 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

On the dark side, Wiseman's family was coerced to move here by Penny's money strictly to play basketball for a school he reasonably assumed he would be coaching soon. The fact that the money lent was a paltry amount and the family wanted to move to Memphis already is immaterial. If there is smoke there is a fire somewhere and most likely the fire has to do with basketball. 

On the light side, Penny helped a family move to Memphis and he knew it would help his basketball team at the time but that has nothing to do with the University of Memphis. East High School is not related to the University. The NCAA is punishing a young man who signed with Memphis after the NCAA cleared him to play. He can't go anywhere else now and suddenly the NCAA is taking back the guarantee and taking away his ability to make money. Penny hadn't given money to the University of Memphis since 2008. He gave moving expenses to the family and Wiseman didn't even know about it. There is no quid pro quo here. 

In my opinion what Penny did was both kind-hearted and self-serving. He surely suspected that Wiseman would help him win a lot of games which would make him attractive to the U of M as a head coach. He had to suspect that he could attract Wiseman and others to the program if he was already coaching them.

Was it illegal? I don't know enough to say one way or the other. What it shady. Absolutely but it also could be seen as a wealthy man taking care of people who would benefit from his assistance. I believe Penny helped other families as well who didn't have basketball players as sons. $12,000 is nothing if the implication is that Wiseman's family was being bought. 

For me, the bottom line issue is that the NCAA cleared Wiseman to play at the school after the school reported the violation. For the NCAA to now rescind that permission after the start of the season when Wiseman can't transfer to any other school is a punishment far harsher than the crime. Fine the coach or the school but not the student who was ignorant and innocent of the crime.  Perhaps the NCAA was premature in issuing the clearance but it is too late now to rescind it. The penalty doesn't fit the crime. 

Please....No politics or religion.

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Agree on all counts.

Just now, I❤️JV said:

Please....No politics or religion.

Quid Pro Quo is a phrase that applies to any situation where a favor or advantage is granted or expected in return for something. It is not political. You can use a 'quid pro quo' relationship in political situations but the term itself is not political. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Quid Pro Quo is a phrase that applies to any situation where a favor or advantage is granted or expected in return for something. It is not political. You can use a 'quid pro quo' relationship in political situations but the term itself is not political. 

LATIN??? REALLY???? That is above my pay grade.  Might have to start a new 2020 Draft thread.

#CarpeDiem

2 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

LATIN??? REALLY???? That is above my pay grade.  Might have to start a new 2020 Draft thread.

#CarpeDiem

Image result for carpe diem GIF

12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

yes...but in current political climate using this particular Latin phrase can offend some (without high school diploma) people.

I think I really like Josh Green.  Maybe it is just his putting up highlights on High School kids.  Or, maybe it is me listening to the Blade Runner sound track in the background.

#CarpeVangelis

2 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

yes...but in current political climate using this particular Latin phrase can offend some (without high school diploma) people.

Image result for didn't mean to offend gif

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

#CarpeDiem

The only Latin I know is Pig Latin....ArpeCay IemDay...does that count?

9 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

I know you typed something because I can see the words, but I really can’t make sense of them. so, ignorant folks could take offense by using a term and so we should adjust our behavior as to not offend? sadly, makes sense in today’s nonsensical pc world. 

slim. 

22 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

Edwards another great game tonight.

Did you watch it? From the highlights he looked good. Might have to have him as a first option high usage guy... but if Z Bo played the 2....

5 hours ago, memphis slim said:

I know you typed something because I can see the words, but I really can’t make sense of them. so, ignorant folks could take offense by using a term and so we should adjust our behavior as to not offend? sadly, makes sense in today’s nonsensical pc world. 

slim. 

you could see it that way...or you could see it as a joke at the expense of some ignorant folk. 

p.s. if you have to tell folks, it was a joke...it was a bad joke...and my sense of humor sucks. 

18 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

We probably won't be able to get another five star Fab Five-type recruiting class again, but maybe no one else will either. 

How did Kentucky's All-Fab lineup do against Evansville's 2-stars last night?  LOL!

in very limited time last night, wiseman showed how he’s a stud of a prospect in this draft. strong as an ox, has a knack for grabbing every rebound around and is very agile. showed great touch with a fluid 17 foot pull up. 

if we got the 1 and draft was tonight- take him and figure it out. 

slim. 

11 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Did you watch it? From the highlights he looked good. Might have to have him as a first option high usage guy... but if Z Bo played the 2....

I just watched highlights, he looks like a good match for our team, kinda of a Harden, Westbrook thing...…..Morant and Edwards would have to figure it out though.

3 hours ago, memphis slim said:

in very limited time last night, wiseman showed how he’s a stud of a prospect in this draft. strong as an ox, has a knack for grabbing every rebound around and is very agile. showed great touch with a fluid 17 foot pull up. 

if we got the 1 and draft was tonight- take him and figure it out. 

slim. 

I think he will be good, I kinda hope he goes 1 and we have pick 2 though. Reguardless if we passed on him it would be a madhouse here. I feel we already have him in JJJ, but both would be a nice problem to have.