Ole Dirty Klondike

What Should We Do if We Luck Into The #1 Pick In 2020?

Should We Tank for Wiseman?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. If we get the #1 pick in the 2020 draft, what should we do?

• Draft Wiseman, pair him with JJJ and trade Jonas
    • Draft Wiseman, pair him with Jonas and trade JJJ
    • Draft Anthony Edwards and keep JJJ and Jonas
    • Draft LaMelo Ball and keep JJJ and Jonas
    • Draft someone else, preferably a swingman, and keep JJJ and Jonas

Just now, I❤️JV said:

Please....No politics or religion.

Quid Pro Quo is a phrase that applies to any situation where a favor or advantage is granted or expected in return for something. It is not political. You can use a 'quid pro quo' relationship in political situations but the term itself is not political. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Quid Pro Quo is a phrase that applies to any situation where a favor or advantage is granted or expected in return for something. It is not political. You can use a 'quid pro quo' relationship in political situations but the term itself is not political. 

LATIN??? REALLY???? That is above my pay grade.  Might have to start a new 2020 Draft thread.

#CarpeDiem

2 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

LATIN??? REALLY???? That is above my pay grade.  Might have to start a new 2020 Draft thread.

#CarpeDiem

Image result for carpe diem GIF

I think I really like Josh Green.  Maybe it is just his putting up highlights on High School kids.  Or, maybe it is me listening to the Blade Runner sound track in the background.

#CarpeVangelis

2 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

yes...but in current political climate using this particular Latin phrase can offend some (without high school diploma) people.

Image result for didn't mean to offend gif

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

#CarpeDiem

The only Latin I know is Pig Latin....ArpeCay IemDay...does that count?

9 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

yes...but in current political climate using this particular Latin phrase can offend some (without high school diploma) people.

I know you typed something because I can see the words, but I really can’t make sense of them. so, ignorant folks could take offense by using a term and so we should adjust our behavior as to not offend? sadly, makes sense in today’s nonsensical pc world. 

slim. 

22 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

Edwards another great game tonight.

Did you watch it? From the highlights he looked good. Might have to have him as a first option high usage guy... but if Z Bo played the 2....

18 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

We probably won't be able to get another five star Fab Five-type recruiting class again, but maybe no one else will either. 

How did Kentucky's All-Fab lineup do against Evansville's 2-stars last night?  LOL!

in very limited time last night, wiseman showed how he’s a stud of a prospect in this draft. strong as an ox, has a knack for grabbing every rebound around and is very agile. showed great touch with a fluid 17 foot pull up. 

if we got the 1 and draft was tonight- take him and figure it out. 

slim. 

11 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Did you watch it? From the highlights he looked good. Might have to have him as a first option high usage guy... but if Z Bo played the 2....

I just watched highlights, he looks like a good match for our team, kinda of a Harden, Westbrook thing...…..Morant and Edwards would have to figure it out though.

3 hours ago, memphis slim said:

in very limited time last night, wiseman showed how he’s a stud of a prospect in this draft. strong as an ox, has a knack for grabbing every rebound around and is very agile. showed great touch with a fluid 17 foot pull up. 

slim. 

I think he will be good, I kinda hope he goes 1 and we have pick 2 though. Reguardless if we passed on him it would be a madhouse here. I feel we already have him in JJJ, but both would be a nice problem to have.

22 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

I just watched highlights, he looks like a good match for our team, kinda of a Harden, Westbrook thing...…..Morant and Edwards would have to figure it out though.

I think he will be good, I kinda hope he goes 1 and we have pick 2 though. Reguardless if we passed on him it would be a madhouse here. I feel we already have him in JJJ, but both would be a nice problem to have.

What do you mean by this?

4 hours ago, memphis slim said:

slim. 

That 17 footer is gonna be there for him for the next 15 to 20 years.

I liked that he took it -- big shot. Clutch shot.

He tried a turn around jumper earlier.  Missed it.  Didn't argue -- stopped taking them.

I could see him having chemistry (failing that just ridiculous highlights) with Ja Morant.

Clarke at the 3 (Kawhitential), Jaren at the 4, and Wiseman at the 5. 

You know... let the REST of the league figure it out.

You can put ME at the 2 and we will make the playoffs.  I can also make a nifty entry pass.

2 guard: maybe you bring BOTH Dillon and Marko off the bench.  Sign a MLE 2 guard with a 3 year deal to help out in the shooting department.  

Might be WISEMAN OR BUST in the draft.  None of the other guys look like they are worth tanking for.

Even WITH Wiseman we would have to figure out a way to optimize spacing since we would be big-man heavy with Wiseman, Jaren, Clarke, and with Jonas and Bruno still on the team (hoping we can resign Bruno cheap).  

Looks like there are some nice players at the top of the 2020 draft, but maybe not anyone worth tanking for.  AND it might be really hard to outtank the Knicks -- they were BORN for this.  

I might have 2 basic tiers in this draft: Tier 1.5/Tier 2 and Tier 3.5/Tier 4.

My top 4 from yesterday morning were Wiseman, Deni, Nico Mannion, and Josh Green.  That might not change.  I have Cole Anthony and Anthony Edwards a bit lower -- look like high usage/high maintenance guys.  Maybe WE don't need that type but some do. 

Good "trade down" draft with some "vets" like Mamadi Diakite, Tres Tinkle, and Markus Howard -- some older players with less hype but maybe more projectable talent/skill than some of the "second tier" blue chippers.  Heck, they MIGHT ALL be second tier blue chippers.  Didn't see any 1-AND-DONE on Kentucky or Michigan State or Kansas that I am overly impressed with.  Maybe not on Duke either, although Vernon Carey, Jr. might have an ideal skill set/talent/size mix for the college game to help Duke make a Final Four run.  

If we end up at 4-6 I think I would try to trade down.  Get some extra picks out of the draft to make up for us not having a 2021 1st rounder.  

What I REALLY want out of this draft is the Brandon Clarke of shooting guards -- whoever that is, IF there is that type of prospect.  

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

That 17 footer is gonna be there for him for the next 15 to 20 years.

I liked that he took it -- big shot. Clutch shot.

He tried a turn around jumper earlier.  Missed it.  Didn't argue -- stopped taking them.

I could see him having chemistry (failing that just ridiculous highlights) with Ja Morant.

Clarke at the 3 (Kawhitential), Jaren at the 4, and Wiseman at the 5

You know... let the REST of the league figure it out.

You can put ME at the 2 and we will make the playoffs.  I can also make a nifty entry pass.

2 guard: maybe you bring BOTH Dillon and Marko off the bench.  Sign a MLE 2 guard with a 3 year deal to help out in the shooting department.  

Might be WISEMAN OR BUST in the draft.  None of the other guys look like they are worth tanking for.

Even WITH Wiseman we would have to figure out a way to optimize spacing since we would be big-man heavy with Wiseman, Jaren, Clarke, and with Jonas and Bruno still on the team (hoping we can resign Bruno cheap).  

ja/lavine/clark/3js/wiseman=dynasty

5 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

What do you mean by this?

That was two different quotes, one about Edwards, second about Wiseman( I feel like Wiseman and JJJ are close to the same type guy).

52 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

That was two different quotes, one about Edwards, second about Wiseman( I feel like Wiseman and JJJ are close to the same type guy).

That's what I am wondering. I don't see it. They seem like 2 different players to me. Wiseman seems more active, more aware and engaging. I think the Chris Bosh comparisons are spot on. As far as JJJ, i'm not sure what he is now. 

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

That's what I am wondering. I don't see it. They seem like 2 different players to me. Wiseman seems more active, more aware and engaging. I think the Chris Bosh comparisons are spot on. As far as JJJ, i'm not sure what he is now. 

I’m wondering if JW can shoot, I think he certainly is better on defense. 

13 hours ago, Jetfixer said:

I’m wondering if JW can shoot, I think he certainly is better on defense. 

He hit a mid-range shot in the last game.  Actually a clutch shot.  

He is NOT Jaren Jackson, Jr. who is a big man who is really comfortable shooting the 3.  

Wiseman does NOT have Jaren's touch.  Maybe not even on jump hooks or from the foul line.

I think Wiseman is "stronger" or at least he can fill out with muscle like Dwight Howard, quicker jumper, more explosive, looks to be a bit more agile, much better potential as a pure lob threat if not a true rim runner.  Although if you want a classic "rim running big" Wiseman seems to fit the profile.  I can see Wiseman getting a Euro step which would be HUGE.  With that, a quick jump hook, and a mid-range J he would be super effective on offense even without a 3 ball or a more refined post game.  

But he is not really a floor-spacer.  Him being a "unicorn" might not actually happen.  Closer to a floor clogger.  He works best inside as a lob threat or put back guy, and he commands attention inside but that clogs the paint.  He is not as effective away from the basket.

If we got him then we would have a big man trio that the league really hasn't seen since Duncan-Robinson and, well, ok, Will Purdue.  Then you still have Slo Mo who is either a point forward or a point center and Brandon Clarke.

You can start both Jaren and Wiseman but you probably want to stagger their minutes a lot.  Best thing: Brandon Clarke would probably work well with either big man OR you get some mileage out of HUGE Clarke/Jaren/Wiseman front lines.  

In this draft I think Wiseman ranks the highest on our big board of any of the "big 3" (Wiseman, Cole Anthony, Anthony Edwards) with him playing high school and college ball locally being a biggie (should be GREAT for business).  Anthony Edwards is probably two on our list with everything else suggesting TRADE UP or TRADE DOWN.  At 3 we could probably trade up if Wiseman/Edwards are gone, 4-6 might be tougher, and you STILL might not get enough value if you TRADE DOWN otu of a 4-6 pick since lots of other teams in the 4-6 or 7 range want to trade down too.

Outside of that "big 3" (and every team probably has those 3 in a different order), I think teams' big boards have vastly different "Tier 2 rankings".