Ole Dirty Klondike

What Should We Do if We Luck Into The #1 Pick In 2020?

Should We Tank for Wiseman?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. If we get the #1 pick in the 2020 draft, what should we do?

• Draft Wiseman, pair him with JJJ and trade Jonas
    • Draft Wiseman, pair him with Jonas and trade JJJ
    • Draft Anthony Edwards and keep JJJ and Jonas
    • Draft LaMelo Ball and keep JJJ and Jonas
    • Draft someone else, preferably a swingman, and keep JJJ and Jonas

3 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

NCAA is so trash. If this is Wiseman's last college game the dude is gonna drop 40 and 20. 

yup. he could have done that last game - he sat most of the second half.

5 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

NCAA is so trash. If this is Wiseman's last college game the dude is gonna drop 40 and 20. 

Garbage. Everybody knows Penny helped them move to Memphis long before he was a Memphis coach.

14 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Garbage. Everybody knows Penny helped them move to Memphis long before he was a Memphis coach.

That’s where it won’t stick. It was also right when Tubby was hired so it’s nowhere near the same.

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

It’s strange.  This is going to court.  Let’s see what happens.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2019/11/08/james-wiseman-ineligible-memphis-tigers-basketball-ncaa/2513758001/

"James Wiseman, the top prospect in Memphis basketball's ballyhooed No. 1 recruiting class, was ruled ineligible by the NCAA earlier this week, his Memphis-based attorney, Leslie Ballin announced Friday evening. 

However, in a saga that played out just before the Tigers' Friday night game against Illinois-Chicago, Ballin said Wiseman was granted an immediate temporary restraining order by a Shelby County Judicial Court judge that put the NCAA's ineligibility decision on hold pending further litigation."

He's got a very very good lawyer

2 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

That’s where it won’t stick. It was also right when Tubby was hired so it’s nowhere near the same.

It was after Tubby's first year that Wiseman moved. I dont know if this is part of the case but there was some light chatter about him becoming the next coach during that time.

I'm glad they're fighting this cause the NCAA is a sham organization that is picking at nits. They already cleared him and then right before the 1st game of the season they rule that he is "likely ineligible". Why not rule that back in May?This whole thing about Penny being a booster in perpetuity because he gave a donation to the university in 2008 is ridiculous. Well, he should have never been approved to be a coach then right, cause boosters can't recruit players right? Ok, he gave the mother money to move. Wiseman didn't know about it. It's not like Wiseman was out on the streets dealing with some shady drug dealer who wanted him to shave points in games or something. Penny has helped tons of people financially including other people on the team and everyone knows it. 

I get the feeling if the lawyer can make the case that the "booster in perpetuity" rule makes absolutely no sense because Wiseman was about 8 years old when Penny made that donation (to his alma mater which happens all of the time) and that Wiseman had no knowledge of his mother accepting that gift for moving expenses and she is willing to pay it back based on a loan that is backed by Wiseman's future earnings, the NCAA should od the right thing and let the kid play. But this is the NCAA and they like punishing programs, especially smaller less endowed non-P5 programs, just because they can.  UNC should have gotten the death penalty for what they were doing but they didn't. Darrell Arthur was ineligible to play but they never went back and ruled Kansas ineligible. 

I hate to bring race into this but there is something not right about the NCAA and how it monitors,controls, etc it's "student athletes" especially in the revenue generating sports. There's a guy right now at Ohio State who has to sit out cause his mother accepting a loan from a family friend which they have paid back. I remember them going after Eric Bledsoe because his mother accepting some money from someone to pay her rent. So the NCAA would rather someone be homeless than have a family friend give $500 to help a mother pay rent? The NCAA's zero-tolerance, cookie cutter rules are archaic, outdated and in many cases just plain not realistic in today's times and it repeatedly punishes people from impoverished backgrounds who are trying to bring themselves out of that poverty and live the American dream. They should be ashamed of themselves. 

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I'm glad they're fighting this cause the NCAA is a sham organization that is picking at nits. They already cleared him and then right before the 1st game of the season they rule that he is "likely ineligible". Why not rule that back in May?This whole thing about Penny being a booster in perpetuity because he gave a donation to the university in 2008 is ridiculous. Well, he should have never been approved to be a coach then right, cause boosters can't recruit players right? Ok, he gave the mother money to move. Wiseman didn't know about it. It's not like Wiseman was out on the streets dealing with some shady drug dealer who wanted him to shave points in games or something. Penny has helped tons of people financially including other people on the team and everyone knows it. 

I get the feeling if the lawyer can make the case that the "booster in perpetuity" rule makes absolutely no sense because Wiseman was about 8 years old when Penny made that donation (to his alma mater which happens all of the time) and that Wiseman had no knowledge of his mother accepting that gift for moving expenses and she is willing to pay it back based on a loan that is backed by Wiseman's future earnings, the NCAA should od the right thing and let the kid play. But this is the NCAA and they like punishing programs, especially smaller less endowed non-P5 programs, just because they can.  UNC should have gotten the death penalty for what they were doing but they didn't. Darrell Arthur was ineligible to play but they never went back and ruled Kansas ineligible. 

I hate to bring race into this but there is something not right about the NCAA and how it monitors,controls, etc it's "student athletes" especially in the revenue generating sports. There's a guy right now at Ohio State who has to sit out cause his mother accepting a loan from a family friend which they have paid back. I remember them going after Eric Bledsoe because his mother accepting some money from someone to pay her rent. So the NCAA would rather someone be homeless than have a family friend give $500 to help a mother pay rent? The NCAA's zero-tolerance, cookie cutter rules are archaic, outdated and in many cases just plain not realistic in today's times and it repeatedly punishes people from impoverished backgrounds who are trying to bring themselves out of that poverty and live the American dream. They should be ashamed of themselves. 

NCAA is a disgrace and a scam. Everyone is making money, but the players. The bold greedy old white man make me sick.

Inequality and Police brutality make me sick. ...i think this is the year of my Gonzaga.

13 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

It’s strange.  This is going to court.  Let’s see what happens.

then he plays oversea , entered the N.B.A draft next year , the only one who gets HURT is the Memphis tiger basketball , this will be Coach CAL part 2 

2 minutes ago, lions said:

then he plays oversea , entered the N.B.A draft next year , the only one who gets HURT is the Memphis tiger basketball , this will be Coach CAL part 2 

But how? As far as i know there are no full basketball courts oversea...maybee in a future.

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Agree with that first paragraph, I don't understand how they can clear him in May IF ALL THE INFORMATION WAS SHARED AT THAT TIME, and then change their ruling 5 months later.

However, I'm also concerned now that the NCAA claims that they played a likely ineligible player and now they are on a post season ban.

10 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Agree with that first paragraph, I don't understand how they can clear him in May IF ALL THE INFORMATION WAS SHARED AT THAT TIME, and then change their ruling 5 months later.

However, I'm also concerned now that the NCAA claims that they played a likely ineligible player and now they are on a post season ban.

I see forfeiture of games. I dont see a postseason ban beyond this season. You usually have to cheat or commit seriously illegal actions to get long term bans. This is more of a technicality, with no intentional harm done.

My new prospect love. Not known as a shooter but can develop one. As good as Edwards is Im a little worried that he is just physical mature with an advanced jumper at an earlier age than most. And that his size hampers his potential.

16 minutes ago, Dwash said:

My new prospect love. Not known as a shooter but can develop one. As good as Edwards is Im a little worried that he is just physical mature with an advanced jumper at an earlier age than most. And that his size hampers his potential.

Yeah I kinda get Dajuan Wagner vibes from Anthony Edwards. Not really explosive or really athletic and yeah he kinda looks “old” for his age.

4 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah I kinda get Dajuan Wagner vibes from Anthony Edwards. Not really explosive or really athletic and yeah he kinda looks “old” for his age.

Oh he is athletic lol. But not super shifty. Kind of a straight line type. Great player though dont get me wrong.  Just not 100% on him being the best choice. McDaniels, Avdija look very versatile.

Tigers vs. Oregon tonight.

Let's see what James Wiseman does.  Will he continue to look like a player with number 1 potential?

Also interested to see Precious Achiuwa.  Lots of upside/potential there as a high motor all-around guy who can finish, rebound, and maybe guard multiple positions.  Can he knock down enough shots?  If he can play the 3 on the next level then he could end up being a top 5 pick.

DJ Jeffries, Damion Baugh, Lester Quinones, and Boogie Ellis might not all be one-and-dones but they are worth looking at as potential (value?) picks in the next few drafts.  Then again, the ENTIRE MEMPHIS TIGERS BASKETBALL PROGRAM could be... ONE AND DONE.

So a Memphis Tiger legend helps Wiseman move to Memphis then recruits him to his school after hired there and yall homers don't see anything wrong with that? Penny can clearly be viewed as a Memphis booster helping steer Wiseman to his alma mater no matter if he became the coach or not. Shady af.

Now flame away.

13 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

So a Memphis Tiger legend helps Wiseman move to Memphis then recruits him to his school after hired there and yall homers don't see anything wrong with that? Penny was clearly a Memphis booster helping steer Wiseman to his alma mater no matter if he became the coach or not. Shady af.

Now flame away.

When he paid his family in 2017 coaching Memphis wasnt even on his radar. He paid him to come to East. Penny and Cal had a cordial relationship and he was all behind Wiseman going to Kentucky.  NOBODY who cared about their player at all was steering them to go play for Tubby Smith lol. That in itself sounds ridiculous. Tubby was completing year one of a 5 year deal that made him a top 10-15 paid coach in America. So firing him and replacing him with Penny was nowhere on the horizon.  Most thought ir was crazy.

Penny was also going to get Dennis Smith to East before he got hurt and tried to get Jayson Tatum.  He wasnt doing this stuff for U of M. He was doing it for his high school agenda. Thats a known fact.

Also, an athletic booster has to donate to an athletic program. Pennu donated to the sports hall of fame.

Penny may have violated some rules but shady....nah. Not even close.