Ole Dirty Klondike

What Should We Do if We Luck Into The #1 Pick In 2020?

Should We Tank for Wiseman?  

35 members have voted

  1. 1. If we get the #1 pick in the 2020 draft, what should we do?

    • Draft Wiseman, pair him with JJJ and trade Jonas
      10
    • Draft Wiseman, pair him with Jonas and trade JJJ
      4
    • Draft Anthony Edwards and keep JJJ and Jonas
      14
    • Draft LaMelo Ball and keep JJJ and Jonas
      2
    • Draft someone else, preferably a swingman, and keep JJJ and Jonas
      5


Recommended Posts

Anyone going to the Memphis/CBU game Thursday?  Not only to watch Wiseman but also guys like Achuiwa, Boogie Ellis, and Damion Baugh.

ANOTHER Memphis team that I don't know what to expect out of -- lots of local hype, and some guys on many lotto radars, but this is a SUPER YOUNG team.  

IF teams need a 4 man core, then if we end up with a pick from 3-6 should we trade DOWN?  Get TWO players who complement the Ja/Jaren axis.  Two really good wing players on rookie contracts would be phenomenal and help us make up for our 2021 pick going to Boston.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 3:32 PM, ALT GRIND said:

Anyone going to the Memphis/CBU game Thursday?  Not only to watch Wiseman but also guys like Achuiwa, Boogie Ellis, and Damion Baugh.

I went ...

won by 33 ... was not pretty at all though.

first half they kept it tight... sedcond half - Tigers played ...hmm...well... less bad. 

Wiseman did not play. Ankle soreness.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I went ...

won by 33 ... was not pretty at all though.

first half they kept it tight... sedcond half - Tigers played ...hmm...well... less bad. 

Wiseman did not play. Ankle soreness.

 

It's a very young team. I keep tying to tell people to calm down. Everybody's thinking championship cause they have a #1 recruiting class but to interject some reality into that....KenPom has that class ranked as the #19th since 2010. To put that in perspective, tha means that he has several classes ranked #2 over that time span ranked higher than this #1 class. Also, during that time period, I think Cal was the only one to win a championship with a highly ranked class and he only did it once and that team had vets on it as well. A lot of teams that wwin have a good amount  of vets and don't rely solely on star freshmen. . 

They'll have a good season but there will be bumps in the road. For instance, Cal has had top 3(maybe even all top 1 or 2 classes) the past  4 years that Rick Barnes has been at Tennessee. Cal is 0-4 against Barnes in Knoxville. People will learn that there are a lot of savvy 2-star juniors and freshmen that will give the business to these inexperienced yet talented freshmen. It's going to be a fun season and they don't have a tough schedule at all but people need to calm their turbos down. It ook D Rose a good half a season to get going and he was a bona fide one and done and better than Wiseman or Achiuwa coming out of hs. It's going to take time and there will be disappointments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 10:48 AM, CoolHandGriz said:

Listed at 6'5, 215 but good try Mr. Dork.

Listed and reality are 2 different things Mr. CoolHands

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

It's a very young team. I keep tying to tell people to calm down. Everybody's thinking championship cause they have a #1 recruiting class but to interject some reality into that....KenPom has that class ranked as the #19th since 2010. To put that in perspective, tha means that he has several classes ranked #2 over that time span ranked higher than this #1 class. Also, during that time period, I think Cal was the only one to win a championship with a highly ranked class and he only did it once and that team had vets on it as well. A lot of teams that wwin have a good amount  of vets and don't rely solely on star freshmen. . 

They'll have a good season but there will be bumps in the road. For instance, Cal has had top 3(maybe even all top 1 or 2 classes) the past  4 years that Rick Barnes has been at Tennessee. Cal is 0-4 against Barnes in Knoxville. People will learn that there are a lot of savvy 2-star juniors and freshmen that will give the business to these inexperienced yet talented freshmen. It's going to be a fun season and they don't have a tough schedule at all but people need to calm their turbos down. It ook D Rose a good half a season to get going and he was a bona fide one and done and better than Wiseman or Achiuwa coming out of hs. It's going to take time and there will be disappointments. 

Does Achiuwa look like a legit 2-way small forward prospect or more of a small ball 4?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our frontcourt play is on 100. Between JJJ, Clarke, JV, even Kyle if his jumper improves that just set. The perfect rotation.

True point guard play is now amazing.

Wings must be acquired. Im only drafting Wiseman to move him. We need about 3 wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Our frontcourt play is on 100. Between JJJ, Clarke, JV, even Kyle if his jumper improves that just set. The perfect rotation.

True point guard play is now amazing.

Wings must be acquired. Im only drafting Wiseman to move him. We need about 3 wings.

CoSign.   We need wings more than Popeyes, Crumpy's and WingGuru combined!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 12:03 PM, chipc3 said:

I may not trade Ja for Zion straight up today. However if the Grizzlies could have drafted Zion they wouldn't have traded Mike Conley. Would you rather have Ja, Grayson Allen and Brandon Clarke or Mike Conley and Zion Williamson? 

I know who I would rather have. 

Zion and MC (or anyone).

Also, retain Delon Wright.

 

Side note. MC started season 1-16 in first game, and is now 0-3 to start this Lakers game.

Hope he gets it going.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 12:46 PM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I wanted #2 all along if we moved up. Nothing against Zion ,but if we were #1, we had to take Zion. His body type and injuries worry me(college, SL and now). I have a hard time seeing him play 82 games a year and playoffs for several years. He'll be very productive everytime he comes back from injury but will probably get injured again soon. His body will wear down in about 5 years imo. Good luck to him though. I definitely didn't want Barrett who will probably be an inefficient scorer for his career. 

Maybe you linked this previously, but its difficult to watch Zion wattle around in civies and not be wary:

and the follow up:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys likely have heard the rumors of Wiseman not being hurt, but bigger reasons he's not playing. I have a close friend with some knowledge. He wasn't hurt during the Bahamas trip, not hurt now. He isn't cleared by the NCAA, they have to show he hasn't received any professional benefits. Looking at Penny and others, all the events he (Wiseman) has attended, who paid to get him there. We will see soon I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

You guys likely have heard the rumors of Wiseman not being hurt, but bigger reasons he's not playing. I have a close friend with some knowledge. He wasn't hurt during the Bahamas trip, not hurt now. He isn't cleared by the NCAA, they have to show he hasn't received any professional benefits. Looking at Penny and others, all the events he (Wiseman) has attended, who paid to get him there. We will see soon I guess.

Oh man. Don't spread that stuff around here. 

Besides, the NCAA just cleared players to earn money on their likeness and promotions. I sincerely hope that the NCAA isn't going to try and make a last ditch effort at ruining someone's life when they've already agreed to allow players to profit from their likeness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Oh man. Don't spread that stuff around here. 

Besides, the NCAA just cleared players to earn money on their likeness and promotions. I sincerely hope that the NCAA isn't going to try and make a last ditch effort at ruining someone's life when they've already agreed to allow players to profit from their likeness. 

....from 2021...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize that it doesn't go into effect until 2021 but to make an example of someone when they have just decided to let athletes profit seems petty at best and downright foolish at worst. They open themselves up to all types of litigation if they do this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

You guys likely have heard the rumors of Wiseman not being hurt, but bigger reasons he's not playing. I have a close friend with some knowledge. He wasn't hurt during the Bahamas trip, not hurt now. He isn't cleared by the NCAA, they have to show he hasn't received any professional benefits. Looking at Penny and others, all the events he (Wiseman) has attended, who paid to get him there. We will see soon I guess.

I was actually a bit suspicious OR we are witnessing the second coming of Bill Walton/Sam Bowie/Greg Oden (take your pick).

But does he at least have good knees???????

"Big men who can actually walk" are gonna RISE in the 2020 draft (unless bad teams get the top picks then all bets are off).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Oh man. Don't spread that stuff around here. 

Besides, the NCAA just cleared players to earn money on their likeness and promotions. I sincerely hope that the NCAA isn't going to try and make a last ditch effort at ruining someone's life when they've already agreed to allow players to profit from their likeness. 

It will be interesting to see, I hope this info is wrong, or they get it cleared up by Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetfixer said:

You guys likely have heard the rumors of Wiseman not being hurt, but bigger reasons he's not playing. I have a close friend with some knowledge. He wasn't hurt during the Bahamas trip, not hurt now. He isn't cleared by the NCAA, they have to show he hasn't received any professional benefits. Looking at Penny and others, all the events he (Wiseman) has attended, who paid to get him there. We will see soon I guess.

I actually hadn't heard anything about this. I heard he wasn't injured that much maybe a sore ankle and people were questioning his toughness but not about eligibility issues. There was no reason for him to at in the Bahamas so I could see them lying about him being injured then but he went on the trip right?

 

Why would he be the only person the in the NCAA that has to prove he didn't receive impermissible benefits? Is that how it works? That sounds like guilty until proven innocent. I thought a snitch it whistle blower is what triggers an investigation into something like this. I could see grades if he went to some sketchy charter school or something but this doesn't sound right to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I actually hadn't heard anything about this. I heard he wasn't injured that much maybe a sore ankle and people were questioning his toughness but not about eligibility issues. There was no reason for him to at in the Bahamas so I could see them lying about him being injured then but he went on the trip right?

 

Why would he be the only person the in the NCAA that has to prove he didn't receive impermissible benefits? Is that how it works? That sounds like guilty until proven innocent. I thought a snitch it whistle blower is what triggers an investigation into something like this. I could see grades if he went to some sketchy charter school or something but this doesn't sound right to me.

I don't know if any of this is fact, but now it's blowing up. I saw on facebook that Gary Parrish went to the UofM today to question those in the know. I think he had very good grades by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetfixer said:

I don't know if any of this is fact, but now it's blowing up. I saw on facebook that Gary Parrish went to the UofM today to question those in the know. I think he had very good grades by the way.

Who knows what is going on but this is what Parrish tweeted:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

Good to hear!

Can’t wait to watch the Big Ticket in action!

Likewise 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jetfixer said:

You guys likely have heard the rumors of Wiseman not being hurt, but bigger reasons he's not playing. I have a close friend with some knowledge. He wasn't hurt during the Bahamas trip, not hurt now. He isn't cleared by the NCAA, they have to show he hasn't received any professional benefits. Looking at Penny and others, all the events he (Wiseman) has attended, who paid to get him there. We will see soon I guess.

From Geoff Calkins on Twitter: 
 

Quote

Just got formal word from university: James Wiseman was cleared by NCAA this summer. He is eligible to play. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now