Ole Dirty Klondike

What Should We Do if We Luck Into The #1 Pick In 2020?

Should We Tank for Wiseman?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. If we get the #1 pick in the 2020 draft, what should we do?

• Draft Wiseman, pair him with JJJ and trade Jonas
    • Draft Wiseman, pair him with Jonas and trade JJJ
    • Draft Anthony Edwards and keep JJJ and Jonas
    • Draft LaMelo Ball and keep JJJ and Jonas
    • Draft someone else, preferably a swingman, and keep JJJ and Jonas

For kicks and giggles, I wanted to see what people think. It could happen, I mean, no one thought we would get the #2 pick this year, 

I have it really splited between Wiseman and Edwards right now, but no way getting Wiseman means we should move Jaren't,  they both would be a amazing frontcourt duo

I cant say for Wiseman, but I want a top 5 pick. Anthony Edwards, Lamelo Ball or Deni Avdija right now are the guys I want.

Not really into building around two bigs to be honest. Off the dribble perimeter scoring is just how you win these days. And its not like Wiseman or JJJ have mad post game so its not really a need for both imo.

22 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Is WIseman already closer to what we think Jaren could be?

Not really I think both are great young bigs, Jaren is more a defender and WI semana more of a offensive force

Jaren is a stretch big.  Wiseman is a finisher and lob threat.  Wiseman is a better rebounder than Jaren.  Both can block shots.

So, we should go BPA at 1.  

Anthony Edwards sounds interesting too.

Along with Wiseman and Edwards I also have LaMelo Ball, Cole Anthony, and Deni Avdija rounding out my top 5.

But I can see the next two guys on my big board/mock draft moving up into the top 5 (Isaiah Stewart at 6 and Nico Mannion at 7).

If we had the top pick I don't think it would be good for PR if we pass on James Wiseman.  Otherwise, if we keep our pick but land in the 3-6 range I would strongly consider trading down -- maybe multiple times.  If a "core" is 3 players then we might already have ours -- Ja/Jaren/Clarke.  In that case, we need as many guys as possible to complement that core.  

Oh, and spacing would look to be an issue with Clarke/Wiseman too.  So, if we draft Wiseman we either need to hope Clarke gets his jumper going and learn to play the 3 full time OR we need Jaren to become our deluxe stretch 4 -- maybe both things need to happen.  

False choice ... correct answer is draft Wiseman, keep Jonas, keep JJJ. But I chose first option.  Only consider trading any of them when it's last year of one's contract (where we have massive salary crunch) or one indicates (hopefully privately) they are unhappy in Memphis. 

On 10/19/2019 at 2:03 PM, CoolHandGriz said:

It's pretty evident we need a scoring wing in the WORST way. Give me Edwards and I don't think twice.

This ain't 1999 and we're not the Spurs...

Maybe.  I hear the hype on Edwards.  The only time I saw him was an exhibition game ... he looked pretty nice.

4 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

It's pretty evident we need a scoring wing in the WORST way. Give me Edwards and I don't think twice.

This ain't 1999 and we're not the Spurs...

If it was we could get this guy.

It's tough, you should always take the best player but there's a chronic need for top wing play. Who knows what will happen, Wiseman could drop out of the top 6 or be consensus number 1 and we might not even have a pick

11 minutes ago, UkGrizz said:

It's tough, you should always take the best player but there's a chronic need for top wing play. Who knows what will happen, Wiseman could drop out of the top 6 or be consensus number 1 and we might not even have a pick

I actually don’t want a pick. Or at least not at 5-6. 2021 might be really good.

36 minutes ago, tangogriz said:

If it was we could get this guy.

Is Ja Morant the Prince of Basketball that we have all been waiting for?

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

Is Ja Morant the Prince of Basketball that we have all been waiting for?

41 minutes ago, cdp said:

Best option: draft Wiseman and let JV beast off the bench as 6th man.

you should get a NASTY responds from I LOVE J.V  poster for that comment . its coming 

who is wiseman get infor on him 

1 hour ago, tangogriz said:

Well has anyone heard if he's made pancakes for everyone?

Game......Blouses!

6 hours ago, pjs said:

False choice ... correct answer is draft Wiseman, keep Jonas, keep JJJ. But I chose first option.  Only consider trading any of them when it's last year of one's contract (where we have massive salary crunch) or one indicates (hopefully privately) they are unhappy in Memphis. 

4 hours ago, cdp said:

Do y'all really believe that Jonas would be happy coming off of the bench behind a rookie? He has started most of his career when healthy. 

3 hours ago, lions said:

who is wiseman get infor on him 

James Wiseman. Check 2020 NBA mock drafts or hs recruiting ratings. 

6 hours ago, cdp said:

Exactly then with cap space sign a wing that can be a scoring option. 

Two two way bigs will make teams trend to us versus trying to follow the latest fad. Mismatches galore. 

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Do y'all really believe that Jonas would be happy coming off of the bench behind a rookie? He has started most of his career when healthy. 

Given the opportunity to better showcase his skill set and that he could be better featured it’s a fair situation. 

Trade it for a couple 2nd rounders 

9 hours ago, QMemphis said:

Given the opportunity to better showcase his skill set and that he could be better featured it’s a fair situation. 

I don't see that happening. Jonas is 27 years old, in the prime of his career and has started the majority of his career mostly on playoff teams with the exception of last year and his first year in the league. He pretty much stayed in Memphis because he wasn't getting an offer like that on the open market. Now that he has it, i could easily see him asking for a trade if we draft Wiseman. 

Why would a 28 year old voluntarily come off of the bench behind a rookie for a rebuilding team that is likely to lose a lot of games? I'm sure the FO would attempt to trade him if they draft Wiseman. I don't see any logical reason to keep him around.