Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies vs New Zealand Breakers 10/08/2019

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

Why are twin towers coming back?I don't see that at all ...maybe the Lakers will do it but that's just one team.

Pacers starting 2 guys who  are 6.11...Philly starts Embiid and Horford....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lets see how Grayson  Allen handle N,B,A  players  I rooting for him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, costarica2 said:

Why are twin towers coming back?I don't see that at all ...maybe the Lakers will do it but that's just one team.

The Sixers are solid bets to get to the Finals and they have Embiid and Horford inside and Horford is a multi-talented big man who has played a lot of center over the years.  

AD is a big man, played center before but I think he is playing the 4 EXCLUSIVELY this season.  So, they are gonna go pretty "big" at 4/5 with either Dwight Howard or Javale McGee at center.

Both teams also feature Simmons and LeBron running the offense, and those guys aren't exactly small.

Giannis is center-sized but plays the 4 or mostly the 3.  The Bucks aren't getting smaller either.

Grizz will feature Jonas inside at the 5 and Jaren at the 4.  Jaren projects more as the prototype power forward of the future and not a center.  

I can't really think of any team that is actually getting SMALLER.

The Raps might need to go "small" with Pascal Siakam at the 4 (and Marc or Serge at center) but other than that I can't think of a "small team" that is getting smaller.

Especially with some of the top rookies in the past 2 or 3 classes being big men.

If the league really WERE getting smaller and this was 2009 or 2010 instead of the 2019-2020 season then Zion Williamson would be used EXCLUSIVELY at center since he can score inside, rim-run, block shots, and rebound.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

The Sixers are solid bets to get to the Finals and they have Embiid and Horford inside and Horford is a multi-talented big man who has played a lot of center over the years.  

AD is a big man, played center before but I think he is playing the 4 EXCLUSIVELY this season.  So, they are gonna go pretty "big" at 4/5 with either Dwight Howard or Javale McGee at center.

Both teams also feature Simmons and LeBron running the offense, and those guys aren't exactly small.

Giannis is center-sized but plays the 4 or mostly the 3.  The Bucks aren't getting smaller either.

Grizz will feature Jonas inside at the 5 and Jaren at the 4.  Jaren projects more as the prototype power forward of the future and not a center.  

I can't really think of any team that is actually getting SMALLER.

The Raps might need to go "small" with Pascal Siakam at the 4 (and Marc or Serge at center) but other than that I can't think of a "small team" that is getting smaller.

Especially with some of the top rookies in the past 2 or 3 classes being big men.

If the league really WERE getting smaller and this was 2009 or 2010 instead of the 2019-2020 season then Zion Williamson would be used EXCLUSIVELY at center since he can score inside, rim-run, block shots, and rebound.  

Just because teams will do it doesn't mean it will work.

Twin towers might comeback yes but I'll see it when it actually happends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 9:11 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Jaren can literally score at every level but he just needs to be more aggressive attacking. 

I think that is gonna be Ja’s number one job. Get guys going.  Get them the ball when and where they want it. Especially Jaren.  I think Jaren is more of a streaky shooter and binge scorer than some of the other guys.  When he gets going he is really hard to stop, but when doesn’t get a ton of touches then he starts to disengage.  

I wouldn’t even force feed him in the paint but I would lots of pick and pops, give him the green light from 3, and let him attack mismatches in the mid-range, high post.  

For instance, if Jaren gets 15 shot attempts in any given night I would prefer them to be 5 inside/post ups, 4 mid-range, and 5 three point attempts.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I think that is gonna be Ja’s number one job. Get guys going.  Get them the ball when and where they want it. Especially Jaren.  I think Jaren is more of a streaky shooter and binge scorer than some of the other guys.  When he gets going he is really hard to stop, but when doesn’t get a ton of touches then he starts to disengage.  

I wouldn’t even force feed him in the paint but I would lots of pick and pops, give him the green light from 3, and let him attack mismatches in the mid-range, high post.  

For instance, if Jaren gets 15 shot attempts in any given night I would prefer them to be 5 inside/post ups, 4 mid-range, and 5 three point attempts.  

 

Jaren offensively should just emulate Pascal Siakim but with better 3pt stroke.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Jaren offensively should just emulate Pascal Siakim but with better 3pt stroke.   

Ok. 

From watching the Finals it seemed like Siakim did damage from anywhere.  He was slashing, and then he was red hot inside.  I am guessing he kept people honest with his jumper although he isn't really known as a jump shooter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Jaren offensively should just emulate Pascal Siakim but with better 3pt stroke.   

Don't know if he's quick and mobile enough for that role. Would be great if he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Don't know if he's quick and mobile enough for that role. Would be great if he is.

They have very very similar games if he can develop a slightly better handle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

They have very very similar games if he can develop a slightly better handle 

Jaren's game resembles lots of different players but it's like he borrows different stuff from different guys.  Not sure that his game 100% matches up with anyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 12:38 PM, CoolHandGriz said:

I agree on it trending towards just points, wings and bigs but the most recent playoffs just proved the demise of the traditional center is quite overrated.

Embid vs Gasol was a prime time matchup in the East finals. Jocic (a modern day Arvydis Sabonis) and Gobert are both a Kawhi injury away from battling for the West ship this year imo.

Perhaps but if you listen to Coach Jenkins you will hear this:

I don’t have point guards, shooting guards, small forwards, power forwards, centers. We see them as guards, wings and bigs. We’re putting bigs in space and position to create like guards. We expect our guards and wings to play and defend every spot on the floor, from the perimeter to the rim. We thrive on being multiple.“

Also, Gasol and Embiid met in the conference semi-finals not the finals and both players represent the modern big man more than the traditional center. Milwaukee with Brook Lopez met Gasol and Toronto in the conference finals. Lopez also is more of a space creating big than a traditional center. 

I also believe Jokic represents he modern big just like Embiid, Gasol, Anthony Davis and others who spread the court rather than camp in the paint.
 

The days of five traditional players is over for the time being. Today you need to be big, that hasn’t changed but you have to spread the court on offense and defend out to the line on defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Perhaps but if you listen to Coach Jenkins you will hear this:

I don’t have point guards, shooting guards, small forwards, power forwards, centers. We see them as guards, wings and bigs. We’re putting bigs in space and position to create like guards. We expect our guards and wings to play and defend every spot on the floor, from the perimeter to the rim. We thrive on being multiple.“

Also, Gasol and Embiid met in the conference semi-finals not the finals and both players represent the modern big man more than the traditional center. Milwaukee with Brook Lopez met Gasol and Toronto in the conference finals. Lopez also is more of a space creating big than a traditional center. 

I also believe Jokic represents he modern big just like Embiid, Gasol, Anthony Davis and others who spread the court rather than camp in the paint.
 

The days of five traditional players is over for the time being. Today you need to be big, that hasn’t changed but you have to spread the court on offense and defend out to the line on defense. 

To prove coach's point you have Zion who might be "positionless" like a point center with a power forward's game in a walking Wrestlemania main eventer's body.

I was thinking he would play the 4, but they played him at the 5 some last night.  So, if he is a "five" then that would prove "positionless" basketball some what.  Although very few players have the all-around talent/skill set (or an otherworldly discrete talent/skill set) to be truly "positionless".

I think all 5 positions still exist, but the job description has changed a bit with "multitasking" being more of a thing now.

With our team: Ja is nearly exclusively a point guard/lead guard, although I can see him pairing with Tyus or even Slo Mo and being an Allen Iverson type score-first "point" guard.  Jonas is exclusively a "5".  Jaren is a prototype 4, a solid 5, with the potential to have a Kevin Durant-style shot chart.  So JJJ might be a "positionless" front court player even if he never becomes a super star play maker or ball handler.

Clarke and Bruno are athletic combo bigs.  Mini-rim runners, shot blockers, and rebounders which I think is where bigs are trending.  So, if a team can't get a Mitchell Robinson or a James Wiseman then they are gonna go after a Clarke or a Bruno type.  Whatever you call that position....  Basically a guy like Joey Dorsey.

The rest of our players are tweeners.  Jae is passable at the 3, but more of a small ball 4.  

But, I don't think it is 2011-2017 with ultra-small ball and vague positions.  That era also featured "peak wings" with PEAK LeBron, PRIME/PEAK Durant, end-of-prime D Wade, still-serviceable Kobe, even Paul Pierce, Harden (although he also plays point guard), and some other guys (Greek Freak started to get really good or at least show flashes).  

I think big men are making a comeback.  Lead guards will be back in fashion, in my opinion, with guys like Ja Morant and Trae Jones.  With Ben Simmons being a point guard who might have a jumper that comes around.  Luka is a "wing" or a positionless guy but he could also be a Harden type big lead guard with some Bird/Magic level passing.  RJ Barrett is another guy in this mold.

The BEST players in any one era dictate if the league gets big or gets small.  I think Trae/Zion/Ja/Jaren/Luka/Mitch Rob/RJ Barrett/Kings combo of Fox/Bagley -- so you get more initiation, offense, and usage out of the (lead) guard spots and out of the big man spots.  So I wouldn't doubt if there is less initiation/usage out of the wing.  I think the great wing era featuring Kobe/LeBron/Durant is over.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this