Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies vs New Zealand Breakers 10/08/2019

28 minutes ago, Dwash said:

The same way Chris Paul and James Harden shared the pg spot last year while both starting.  The 18 minutes JV is on the bench JJJ will play most of them. Its not that hard to do.

If Jaren plays say 32mpg, that means by your calcs he will be playing half or more of his mins at C.

My view is that is not the right thing to do.

Jaren could play 8-10mpg at C when JV is off the floor, but bearing in mind a lot of Jaren's mins will be played with JV, that still leaves a big hole to cover the balance.

Noah was playing around 18mins, often more, and he was a backup.

Is Plumlee gonna get those mins?

And is he good enough to play those mins and not see us in a deeper hole than we will pdobably be for many of the games?

2 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

If Jaren plays say 32mpg, that means by your calcs he will be playing half or more of his mins at C.

Jaren could play 8-10mpg at C when JV is off the floor, but bearing in mind a lot of Jaren's mins will be played with JV, that still leaves a big hole to cover the balance.

And is he good enough to play those mins and not see us in a deeper hole than we will pdobably be for many of the games?

Jaren needs to be 36-38 mins.  I dont think he will foul as much with the pressure off to help a team trying to win. Just let a few layups go in order to stay on the court. He will learn.

3 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

Jaren doesn't seem to be getting touches. He does very well with his quick moves in the block but he has barely gotten fed there. Going to be worse with JV back clogging things up. 

Whole team looks slow. For all the training camp talk, they don't look like they have the guys to run. 

lord

57 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

PG - Ja (31) Tyus (17)
SG - Dillon (22) Josh (12) Grayson (12) Tyus (2)
SF - Jae (24) Josh (9) Kyle (12) Dillon (3)
PF - Jaren (18) Brandon (18) Bruno (10) Kyle (2)
C - JV (29) Jaren (14) Bruno (5)

That was my rotation prediction in my 2019 rotation thread. I'd change a few things like giving Grayson maybe some more minutes, and obviously getting rid of Josh's minutes in the meantime. As for C, you'll have 5-8 minutes a game that Jaren or JV will not be playing C. That can be filled by Miles, Bruno, or Clarke pretty easily. 

5 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Greg Monroe is still available. 

Nope, He's playing in Germany (Bayern Munchen)

8 hours ago, GameOn said:

What is "ILP"?

International League Pass. From all I’m hearing it’s leaps and bounds better than domestic LP.

This is the era of positionless basketball. To try and force terms on players is an exercise in futility. I wouldn’t be surprised to see where there will be lineups with Bruno, Jaren and Clarke on the court at the same time. Which one is Center, PF or SF won’t matter. All players will need to be able to guard on the perimeter as well as in the paint. They will all need to be able to go inside and stretch defenses around the arc. 

With the traditional center role disappearing, I suspect that the most important decision will be can he play not where he plays. You’ll have point guards, wings and bigs not PG, SG, SF, PF and C. It’s a new world. The old definitions don’t apply.

We will all need to adjust our language and expectations in this new world.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

This is the era of positionless basketball. To try and force terms on players is an exercise in futility. I wouldn’t be surprised to see where there will be lineups with Bruno, Jaren and Clarke on the court at the same time. Which one is Center, PF or SF won’t matter. All players will need to be able to guard on the perimeter as well as in the paint. They will all need to be able to go inside and stretch defenses around the arc. 

With the traditional center role disappearing, I suspect that the most important decision will be can he play not where he plays. You’ll have point guards, wings and bigs not PG, SG, SF, PF and C. It’s a new world. The old definitions don’t apply.

Small ball peaked.  

3 point shooting, passing, and defensive versatility matter as much as ever or more than ever but length and rebounding from every position will gain in importance.  

I think teams now need a TRUE play maker at point guard — like a Ja Morant.  Plus some of that athleticism and scoring potential.  The  shooters on the wing since the 3 point shot is the modern game’s Moneyball.  Then two bigs who complement each other.  At least one big who can stretch the floor (Jaren?), and although I am still a sucker for bouncy centers who can throw down alley oops and block shots (Mitchell Robinson/James Wiseman) I think the “lost” art of the post game still has a place (Jonas).  

Benches should (still) offer versatility and the ability to mix and match.  Ultra depth might be overrated with a legit 8 or 9 man rotation still being ideal, but I think the “classic” 6th man role might be overrated or at least overspending on glorified insta-chuckers might be getting stale.  The IDEAL 6th man of the future may be more defensively oriented like Michael Cooper or Bobby Jones. Or a jumbo point forward like Toni Kukoc or Lamar Odom. Or get both types for a extremely tight 7 man rotation.  8-12 might resemble a scrappy, gritty bench mob used for 3-4 minute shifts at a time.

This biggest thing I'm wondering is how will all the parts fit.  Who's our best 5 to trout out? Ja, Jaren and JV will likely be set but after that it's still a ton of questions. 

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

This is the era of positionless basketball.

hmmm...

where have I heard this before?

😏

5 straight ballers - throw it up is on the way

6 hours ago, Myers said:

Nope, He's playing in Germany (Bayern Munchen)

Which means he's very much available. I'm sure he has an NBA out clause in his contract. 

54 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

This biggest thing I'm wondering is how will all the parts fit.  Who's our best 5 to trout out? Ja, Jaren and JV will likely be set but after that it's still a ton of questions. 

Well currently, Jae and TBD. The way Grayson has been playing wants me to believe he's turned the corner. Not sure if he's a long term starter, but he could at least be a valuable role player. 

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I don't think this applies to the lineup you suggest. A wing player has to have skills as a creator. Tony Allen had more skills than these guys. Positionless basketball will be short-lived if this is how it's defined.
We shouldn't forget how much trouble the grit-n-grind Grizzlies gave the positionless Warriors who had 4 skilled players on the court at all times.

If you are looking at a true positionless team, just look at the Sixers. They're shortest player in the starting lineup is 6-6. 

We aren't really close to being like that, and neither is the rest of the NBA. 

The whole concept is overrated anyway. Really all were trying to say is that we expect each position to have more skill and do more than they previously did. That means 4 and 5s shoot 3s and bring the ball up the court occasionally. Also means more ball handling duties for the 2s and 3s. 

At the end of the day, size still matter, which means positions still matter. You send five 6-5 guys out there and just tell one of them to go guard jonas, jonas is going to shoot 100% with a couple dozen rebounds. On the other hand, you send five 7 footers out there and tell them to guard a point guard or shooting guard, it's going to be non stop layups or uncontested 3s. That much isn't going to change. Obviously you'll have some bigs that can guard the guards on the floor, but the nature of being big typically comes with less mobility than a smaller guy. 

I dont think it means each position has skill. It just eliminates set roles. The pg used to bring the ball up to distribute. You werent a good pg if you didnt do that. The center was known for his back to the basket game.  The 2 guard was the shooter. The small forward was the slasher. The PF was midrange/post.

Now the SF can be the best post player (KD, Kawhi) or the PG(Lebron). The pg can distribute or be the best scorer. There are no set roles for each spot.  Therefore, bigs need to be able to guard inside and atleast hedge on the perimeter because who knows what type of player they will need to check now. Back then, they just checked back to the basket centers. Thats all I see.

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I dont think it means each position has skill. It just eliminates set roles. The pg used to bring the ball up to distribute. You werent a good pg if you didnt do that. The center was known for his back to the basket game.  The 2 guard was the shooter. The small forward was the slasher. The PF was midrange/post.

Now the SF can be the best post player (KD, Kawhi) or the PG(Lebron). The pg can distribute or be the best scorer. There are no set roles for each spot.  Therefore, bigs need to be able to guard inside and atleast hedge on the perimeter because who knows what type of player they will need to check now. Back then, they just checked back to the basket centers. Thats all I see.

Yeah there was an athletic article saying the players had been grouped as bigs, wings and guards and they would all be expected to be able to shoot at least wide open 3s in a 5 out offence. 

21 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Image result for you got it gif

5 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Which means he's very much available. I'm sure he has an NBA out clause in his contract. 

Very unlikely since he has a 1 year contract. NBA out clauses (in Euro teams at least, China is different) can typically only be exercised in the offseason.

When’s the next game?

... I would like to see more Ja-Jaren pick and pops. That should be unstoppable. Especially high pick and rolls that set up Jaren’s 3 ball.

Hope JV back on track. 10 days before season start, it will be nice to see him having a cpl of min. I still dont see Jaren back up JV. His will be in trouble with fault quite fast and we need him at least 32-35 min. We need a good back up for JV . Hope we got it soon as i do not believe Plumlee will do the job properly.

On 10/9/2019 at 6:58 AM, chipc3 said:

I agree on it trending towards just points, wings and bigs but the most recent playoffs just proved the demise of the traditional center is quite overrated.

Embid vs Gasol was a prime time matchup in the East finals. Jocic (a modern day Arvydis Sabonis) and Gobert are both a Kawhi injury away from battling for the West ship this year imo.

34 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

I agree on it trending towards just points, wings and bigs but the most recent playoffs just proved the demise of the traditional center is quite overrated.

Embid vs Gasol was a prime time matchup in the East finals. Jocic (a modern day Arvydis Sabonis) and Gobert are both a Kawhi injury away from battling for the West ship this year imo.

I think the league is getting big again, but with more skill and shooting.

The IDEAL lineup now (and probably has been forever) would be a classic lead guard who can also score, two shooters on the wing, and then two bigs inside who complement each other.  Twin Towers will come back -- one stretch big and one classic rim running/shot blocking big man (center).  So then you can run pick and rolls OR pick and pops.  The optimal THIRD big man might just be an oversized wing who can bang, rebound, and hit 3's -- players like PJ Tucker or Jae Crowder.  

Yeah, we still need a rim runner/shot blocker as a backup center.  Any cheap ones out there?

51 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

The IDEAL lineup now (and probably has been forever) would be a classic lead guard who can also score, two shooters on the wing, and then two bigs inside who complement each other.  Twin Towers will come back -- one stretch big and one classic rim running/shot blocking big man (center).  So then you can run pick and rolls OR pick and pops.  The optimal THIRD big man might just be an oversized wing who can bang, rebound, and hit 3's -- players like PJ Tucker or Jae Crowder.  

Yeah, we still need a rim runner/shot blocker as a backup center.  Any cheap ones out there?

Kenneth Faried comes to mind

3 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Why are twin towers coming back?I don't see that at all ...maybe the Lakers will do it but that's just one team.