chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies vs New Zealand Breakers 10/08/2019

Grizzlies Gametime Discussion

Date/Time: Sunday, October 8 7:00 PM

Memphis Grizzlies vs New Zealand Breakers

Television: None

Memphis Radio: 92.9FM | 680AM

Promotions: None

Grizz Social: iTunes Google Play Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram Pinterest Snapchat Flickr YouTube LinkedIn

Grizzlies Probable Starting 5

Ja Morant Dillon Brooks Jae Crowder Jaren Jackson Jr Brandon Clarke
1629630.png 1628415.png 203109.png 1628991.png 1629634.png

Breakers Probable Starting 5

Correy Webster R J Hampton Scottie Hopson Ater Mojok Chris Obekpa
Corey-Webster.png RJ-Hampton.png Scotty-Hopson.png Ater-Majok.png Chris-Obekpa.png

Benches

Benches

Memphis Grizzlies: Grayson Allen, Kyle Anderson, Bruno Caboclo, Marko Guduric, Solomon Hill, Tyus Jones, John Konchar, De'Antonhy Melton (INJ), Matt Mooney, Miles Plumlee, Ivan Rabb, Jonas Valencunas, Yuta Watanabe, 

New Zealand Breakers: Tom Abercrombie, Finn Delany, Sek Henry, Tom Vodanovic, Fata Letoa, Rob Loe, Jarred Weeks, Jordan Ngatai, 

Grizzlies: Preview | Recap | News Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets | Promotions | Watch Parties

New ZealandPreview | News Roster | Stats | Schedule |  

Depth Charts: CBS | ESPN | Yahoo

Injuries: CBS | ESPN | FOX | Yahoo

Preview; I don't know how accurate the Breakers starting lineup is because I have gotten no information from the club other than their roster. However this seems like a likely mix of size and NBA experience so I am going with it. 

The Grizzlies future was given very little in the way of NBA competition in their game against Maccabi Haifa but should be given a more physical test against New Zealand who brings more size and more potential (R J Hampton) and past (Scottie Hopson, Correy Webster) NBA experience to this matchup. It should be a close game none the less but at least somewhat more evenly matched. 

JA Morant put up an impressive first line with 10 points, 7 assists and only one turnover in just under 20 minutes. His defense however was challenged and will need to improve as the competition improves. Jaren Jackson Jr showed the all around game with 19 points and 8 rebounds. Hopefully the rebounding number will continue to be there as the competition gets taller and stronger. Grayson Allen was one of the real surprises with 18 points (4-6 from deep). Bruno Caboclo and Solomon Hill won the +/- battle going +24 and +20 respectively. 

1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Not a fan of playing these bum foreign teams

must agree...all the foreigners are bums...even worse...some are illegal aliens...build the wall  ....USA USA USA

1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Not a fan of playing these bum foreign teams

Only positive of this one is getting to see RJ Hampton, who could potentially be a Grizzly this time next year.

28 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

must agree...all the foreigners are bums...even worse...some are illegal aliens...build the wall  ....USA USA USA

There’s an old adage that goes...  You went one passed funny.

I think that applies here.

Yes... “bum” could have been replaced with “lesser quality than NBA” but seriously.... let’s leave these type of tropes at the door and keep it Grizz-centric and politically free. There’s more than enough of that elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Commadoor Sixty-four said:

Yes... “bum” could have been replaced with “lesser quality than NBA” but seriously.... let’s leave these type of tropes at the door and keep it Grizz-centric and politically free. There’s more than enough of that elsewhere.

agreed

Just now, notnilc20 said:

agreed

2 minutes ago, Commadoor Sixty-four said:

agreed

5 minutes ago, Commadoor Sixty-four said:

Yeah both were a little too far

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

How much better are these guys than Maccabi Haifa?

They have half the NZ national team, but I don't think they'll be much better.

I hope they dance the haka though.

Over under on "Free Hong Kong" chants during the game? 

In a league with extreme drama and storylines that play out like movies, this is the most interesting NBA story in a while. 

23 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

Over under on "Free Hong Kong" chants during the game? 

In a league with extreme drama and storylines that play out like movies, this is the most interesting NBA story in a while. 

Whatever number you pick I will take the under. 

19 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

Please stop with the political crap. People come here to talk about the Grizzlies not politics.

18 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

How much better are these guys than Maccabi Haifa?

They were a pretty bad NBL team, but I assume that's better than the Isreali league. Maccabi Haifi did have a few former nba players though. 

do we know if JV is playing tonight?  Has he been practising?  Any concerns if not playing tonight, that this injury could be more serious than team response to date?

17 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

do we know if JV is playing tonight?  Has he been practising?  Any concerns if not playing tonight, that this injury could be more serious than team response to date?

I was told that the team is being particularly cautious with the veteran while they determine how they want to proceed with his backup. Bruno, Rabb and Plumlee are all fighting for minutes as backup center and at least one of them will likely be cut before the start of the season. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I was told that the team is being particularly cautious with the veteran while they determine how they want to proceed with his backup. Bruno, Rabb and Plumlee are all fighting for minutes as backup center and at least one of them will likely be cut before the start of the season. 

Rabb is not a center.  So that leaves Plumlee as the only "true" center on the team other than JV with Jaren getting most of the other minutes at center.  Clarke and Bruno may be factored in as "small ball centers" but that might not work so well during the regular season.

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

Rabb is not a center.  So that leaves Plumlee as the only "true" center on the team other than JV with Jaren getting most of the other minutes at center.  Clarke and Bruno may be factored in as "small ball centers" but that might not work so well during the regular season.

You may be correct but that doesn't deny the fact that Bruno and Ivan are both getting extended looks at the backup center position by the new coaching staff. 

Perhaps you should let Taylor Jenkins know you don't think he is coaching correctly. 

The Grizzlies list center Jonas Valanciunas (foot) and guard De’Anthony Melton (back) as out for Tuesday’s game against New Zealand. Jenkins has said Valanciunas is dealing with minor foot soreness from training camp, but sitting him out is more of a precaution and load management. Forward Kyle Anderson (thigh bruise), who missed Sunday’s game, is listed as questionable and will be reevaluated closer to game time. Forwards Josh Jackson and Andre Iguodala are not with the team.

39 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You may be correct but that doesn't deny the fact that Bruno and Ivan are both getting extended looks at the backup center position by the new coaching staff. 

Perhaps you should let Taylor Jenkins know you don't think he is coaching correctly. 

We looked solid last night and we won Summer League.  Not questioning the coach on this one!

On the other hand, I am a Bruno guy and he looked solid (guess he was exclusively playing center the other night).

Bruno is actually taller (I think), bigger (maybe?), and longer (definitely) than Rabb.

So, it is between Rabb and Plumlee on talent, with Plumlee being more of a center.  Although I could live with us going out and shopping for another center.

Although Plumlee DOES need to show me something (didn't really notice him the last game/was following Ja/Jaren more).  

Rabb IS a good rebounder so he has that going for him.

I actually talked to Bruno the night after the open practice and he said the team is using him almost exclusively at the five. He didn't seem real pleased about that either. 

Bruno is listed as an inch shorter than Rabb by the team and and two pounds lighter. That would make him shorter and lighter than Rabb. Ace, Bruno's son, is the most adorable 14 month old you could ever ask to meet by the way. 

46 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I actually talked to Bruno the night after the open practice and he said the team is using him almost exclusively at the five. He didn't seem real pleased about that either. 

Bruno is listed as an inch shorter than Rabb by the team and and two pounds lighter. That would make him shorter and lighter than Rabb. Ace, Bruno's son, is the most adorable 14 month old you could ever ask to meet by the way. 

first coaching mistake for jenkins imo...unless he is trying to make room for clark

jones/allen/crowder/clark/bruno